PDA

View Full Version : ...

MrsKellyPierce
04-23-2007, 09:22 PM
I speak transexual

JessicaJ
04-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Heh im kinda the same, I took 2 years of french, 2 years of spanish and im in my second year of japanese ><.

MrsKellyPierce
04-23-2007, 09:27 PM
I knew it wouldn't be long before someone typed that :P I speak some french and some spanish, I can understand spanish when it's spoken to me. I also am learning ebonics from my black girlfriend, but she says I need to stop using "like" when I start out with phrases. Like I'll say "Like Fo Shizzle My Nizzle" Or I say "Like Whats Up Yo" I'll learn yet lol

Ecstatic
04-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Leora, I know about the memory dump. I took four terms of Spanish in college, but could never speak it well at all nor understand much when I hear it spoken. Since I can read at my own pace, my reading knowledge of Spanish is stronger. Same with French; I can read it well enough to visit Quebec and make my way through menus, signage, tourist brochures, and that sort of thing. But I can't speak it at all. And I have a smattering of Gaelic, in the same vein.

I have fairly extensive Sanskrit and Pali vocabularies, stemming from many years studying Buddhism and Eastern philosophy, but that's really jargon, and totally lacking in grammar: to use the terminology, I have to place the terms in English sentences.

dgtlmstry
04-23-2007, 09:36 PM
English, Spanish, some German (getting better now of course :) )

TGL
04-23-2007, 09:47 PM
I speak english and danish and I used to speak some german, but that's more or less gone now. I can still understand some german, and being danish I also understand swedish and norwegian...

Dengoza
04-23-2007, 09:47 PM
I speak Portuguese (Brazilian) Spanish and English

Caleigh
04-23-2007, 09:58 PM
English Spanish French in that order

backthen
04-23-2007, 10:00 PM
english, armenian, spanish

hwbs
04-23-2007, 10:00 PM
i know a bit of French since i took it in school and my mother speaks it fluently....i cant hold a long conversation ,but i can order food in Paris without them looking at me like a tourist :lol: ....

Fox
04-23-2007, 10:08 PM
I took 2 years of Spanish in high school. It was the same deal for me. If you don't use it, you lose it. I was never interested in it, but I figured since there's so much spanish speaking people in Southern Cali that it might be useful to learn.

I am, however interested in Japanese. I plan on taking a course soon.

daio
04-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Japanese, naturally and fluently.

Coroner
04-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Serbo-croat (Bosnian, Serbian, Croatian), German, English, French and partly Czech/Slovak....... I can understand Russian but I can´t speak it.

Somedude21
04-23-2007, 10:27 PM
I've taken two years of Spanish and Japanese. While I don't speak either fluently, I do still remember a smattering of words here and there. I can barely carry a (short) conversation in Spanish, too. Not in Japanese, though.

And of course, English. ^_^

Jericho
04-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Bollocks and gibberish :P

iloveshemales77
04-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Bollocks and gibberish :P
poppycock and doubledutch! :lol:

iloveshemales77
04-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Serbo-croat (Bosnian, Serbian, Croatian), German, English, French and partly Czech/Slovak....... I can understand Russian but I can´t speak it.

sounds dangerous!

EdelweissFan
04-24-2007, 12:36 AM
As Leora and others pointed out, the key to languages is using them. I would also say, another key is having a personal friendship with someone you can practice with. A person is ten times better than a dictionary for learning vocabulary.

I first studied a foreign language in 4th grade. I had a German WWII refugee teacher who forced us to memorize lots of French. I thought it had little effect on me, but scientists now say that exposure to a foreign language at an early age makes it much easier to learn other languages.

I studied Spanish in junior high, high school and college and could read and had some facility, but fluency escaped me. It wasn't till maybe 15 years later, I was hanging out with a Puerto Rican buddy who asked the PR barmaid, "Venga Aq'a".

I asked what the fuck does that mean.

He said, "come here."

I said, "come here is 'venga aqui'."

He said, "that's like the Spanish equivalent of the difference between 'come here' and 'come 'ere.'"

That was a revelation. I realized that I had been learning text book Spanish while all around me, "real Spanish" was being spoken, so I focused on learning Spanish from my friends. It's totally different, especially in New York, which is heavy on Puerto Rican Spanish which might as well be classified as a different language from the Spanish of South America. Another example: textbook Spanish for "in order that" is "para que"; but on the streets, it's "pa' que." There are lots of others. But it's about as different from textbook Spanish as New Yawk English is from standard English.

I also speak Brazilian Portuguese, can read French (used to speak it, thanks to lessons from a Senagalese woman, but people told me I spoke like a French West African), can read Dutch, used to read German, and used to speak three African languages.

After a while, languages just seem like accents of some universal langauge. If you really know Spanish, speaking Brazilian Portuguese is like trying to speak Spanish with an accent -- like if you are American trying to imitate an Australian. It gets easier the more languages you know.

Gus_gunn
04-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Welsh and english Cymru am byth! Nos da

scorpion
04-24-2007, 12:46 AM
I speak in order: French, Danish, Swedish, German and English.
I cant say that Im able to use this languges in writing. Swedish and Danish is no problem. The French havent Ialmost not used in writing since I was in shool and this is years ago...But I still speak it fluent.
German and English...Lets say I speak them better than I write.
:wink:

Caff_Racer
04-24-2007, 12:59 AM
In the following order: English, French, Spanish and Catalan. I shall shortly be learning Euskera (the Basque language).

InHouston
04-24-2007, 02:27 AM
I don't speak or write English.

stillies77
04-24-2007, 02:29 AM
english and espanol.

Vala_TS
04-24-2007, 03:15 AM
English and Hebrew. Although I'm out of practice on the latter. I've been trying to learn Latin for 3 years now (don't ask) but I keep getting side tracked on it.

Vala,

Oli
04-24-2007, 06:24 AM
English, German and Dutch.

ausbeachstyle
04-24-2007, 06:31 AM
aussie

the Adrienne Barbeaubot
04-24-2007, 07:20 AM
Although I took 5 years of French, not having someone to speak it with makes you forget most of it.I can't speak Spanish, but I can understand it somewhat. I am fluent in Greek and English.

MacShreach
04-24-2007, 11:22 AM
In order of learning, Doric, English, French, all fluent speaker and reader; Spanish, competent speaker, good reader; Gaidhlig, basic speaker and reader, Portuguese, good reader, basic speaker, Italian, basic reader and speaker.

z4rky
04-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Fluent in english and dutch (doh, im dutch :P) and basic german.

elo
04-25-2007, 02:03 AM
I speak german,english and polish.
I had a half year italian and french in school and i made the big latinum.And i intend to learn spanish and portugese.

Does anyone know how big the difference between brazil and portugal portugese is?

TsJennifer
04-25-2007, 03:08 AM
I speak Arabic, Moroccan, Turkish and of course English...lol

Jennifer Paris

You can see all my pictures at
My Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SEXY_JENNIFER_PARIS

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jenniferparis3

alyss_heart
04-25-2007, 03:13 AM
In order of learning, Doric, English,

What's Doric then?

Jericho
04-25-2007, 03:27 AM

What's Doric then?

Sayin nuthin! :lol: :lol: :lol:

vanished
04-25-2007, 03:35 AM
Fluent Danish and English; some Latin, German, French, Greek - actually, very little Greek.

alrock_ny
04-25-2007, 04:55 AM
fluent in spanish and portuguese (my parents native tongues), and beginner in french

phxguy
04-25-2007, 05:04 AM
I took courses in French and Spanish in high school, but haven't used the languages since. I would like to be fluent in Portuguese and Thai.

jiggly
04-25-2007, 05:05 AM
I speak English, poorly (even though its my first/main language) VERY LITTLE Spanish, and lately I've been thinking of attempting to learn Portuguese, but the only problem, besides my inability to retain information, is i have no reason to use it and no one to practice it with. Not to mention i change my mind frequently and have little drive / determination when it comes to most things.

loki
04-25-2007, 03:09 PM
English and redneck.

maxsqualo
04-25-2007, 05:23 PM
i'm speak italian.ciao da max

MDinMD
04-25-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm a native speaker of English et je parle beaucoups de francais. I'm not really fluent in French though. I also can get by in Spanish and a little bit in German.

MacShreach
04-25-2007, 06:00 PM
What's Doric then?

:D

Thank you for asking.

Doric is the language of North-East Scotland where I grew up. One of the 7 dialects of Scots.

More here.

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/elphinstone/kist/

MacShreach
04-25-2007, 06:05 PM

What's Doric then?

Ach nou Jers, daa be blate, we're aa Jock Tamson's bairns here. Gin ye've ocht tae say say it, ye'll no fash us.

And if that's a whisky, why yes I think I will thanks....

MacShreach
04-25-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm a native speaker of English et je parle beaucoups de francais. I'm not really fluent in French though. I also can get by in Spanish and a little bit in German.

mmm. Vous parlez beaucoups de Francais mais vous n'etes pas fluent. Faut repeter, mon pote!

And damn I wish I could get English-language computers to do the right accents......

Jericho
04-25-2007, 09:51 PM

What's Doric then?

Ach nou Jers, daa be blate, we're aa Jock Tamson's bairns here. Gin ye've ocht tae say say it, ye'll no fash us.

I nearly strained my tongue getting round that!
Phlegmish? :P :lol: :lol:

Hara_Juku Tgirl
04-25-2007, 10:01 PM
I speak/write English, Tagalog..used to speak/write some spanish, chinese and japanese. But sadly I havent had much practice with the latter 3. :( Not alot of hispanics, chinese or japanese out in the midwest when I lived there.

~Kisses.

HTG

TomSelis
04-26-2007, 12:41 AM
English, Swahili, Spanish and Portugese.

MacShreach
04-26-2007, 01:45 AM

Swahili? There's a tale hanging there or I'm no judge. Do tell.

ezed
04-26-2007, 06:28 AM
I am proficient in penal and cunni ligust!

TomSelis
04-26-2007, 02:00 PM

Nah, my mother's from Uganda, got ran out for being "coloured" (mixed to Americans) along with the rest of the family. They still speak it at family get togethers, but it's mostly an older folks thing. All of us born abroad don't speak it as much, but there you go.

MacShreach
04-26-2007, 02:22 PM

Nah, my mother's from Uganda, got ran out for being "coloured" (mixed to Americans) along with the rest of the family. They still speak it at family get togethers, but it's mostly an older folks thing. All of us born abroad don't speak it as much, but there you go.

I used to have a grilfriend who was brought up in Hirare and she spoke it, at least a bit. Her Dad was some kind of agricultural scientist, they were all over Africa. Tough on your Mum though, I remember Mr Amin's era.

TomSelis
04-27-2007, 12:05 AM

I used to have a grilfriend who was brought up in Hirare and she spoke it, at least a bit. Her Dad was some kind of agricultural scientist, they were all over Africa. Tough on your Mum though, I remember Mr Amin's era.

Yeah, I was born shortly after that so I missed it. My mother actually knew Idi, don't get her started on that one. Everyone from there speaks a little Kiswahili because nobody speaks the same language.

ghostofbillhicks
04-27-2007, 01:47 AM
Being a shameful Brit, my language skills run to precisely one. My own. Pathetic, I know.

We truly are the laughing stock of Europe.

iloveshemales77
05-06-2007, 02:46 PM
What's Doric then?

:D

Thank you for asking.

Doric is the language of North-East Scotland where I grew up. One of the 7 dialects of Scots.

More here.

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/elphinstone/kist/

Interesting. Didn't know that. There's a "Doric Tavern" in Edinburgh. I always thought it referred to the Greek columns of that name.

iloveshemales77
05-06-2007, 02:54 PM
English as a second language is now spoken by more people than there are native English speakers.

The July 1981 newsletter of the Tasek Utara Golf Club in Johor Baru, Malaysia, contained the following linguistically intriguing dialog between a hotel guest and the room service at a certain Bangkok hotel. (Quoted from Far Eastern Economic Review September 4, 1981.)

Room Service: Morny, rune sore-bees.
Hotel Guest: Oh sorry, I thought I dialled room service.
RS: Rye, rune sore-bees. Morny. Jewish to odor sunteen?
HG: I'd like some bacon and eggs.
RS: Ow July then?
HG: What?
RS: Aches. Ow July then? Pry, boy, pooch ... .?
HG: Oh, the eggs! How do I like them? Sorry. Scrambled please.
RS: Ow July thee baycome? Crease?
HG: Crisp will be fine.
RS: Okay. An Santos?
HG: What?
RS: Santos, July Santos?
HG: Ugh ... I don't know ... I don't think so.
RS: No? Judo one toes?
HG: Look, I really feel bad about this, but I just don't know what judo-one-toes means. I'm sorry.
RS: Toes! Toes! Why Jew Don Juan, toes? Ow bow eenglish mopping we bother?
HG: English muffin! I've got it! Toast! You were saying toast! Fine. An English muffin will be fine.
RS: We bother?
HG: No. Just put the bother on the side.
RS: Wad?
HG: I'm sorry. I meant butter. Butter on the side.
RS: Copy?
HG: Beg your pardon?...
RS: Copy. Copy, tea, mill.
HG: Coffee! Yes, coffee please. And that's all.
RS: One Minnie. Ass rune torino-fie, strangle aches, crease baycome, tossy eenglish mopping we bother honey sigh, and copy. Rye?
HG: Whatever you say.
RS: Okay. Tenjewberrymud.
HG: You're welcome.

wjcdiver
05-06-2007, 03:26 PM
I am fluent in oral French. :shock:

I can also speak enough french to get around Paris in a taxi and order at a restaruant. I am also fluent reading the english subtitles in French language films.

I am pretty fluent in menu in any language that uses the Western alphabet, or the english translation of other menus.

:roll:

john69
05-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Greek!! And litle ENG!!

gege12
05-07-2007, 03:43 PM
french ans a little bit english

cruchot
05-07-2007, 05:26 PM
I speak german, russian and a little bit english

Rui
05-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Portugues, english, français e un poquito de espanol!

rvince
05-08-2007, 11:52 PM
French, English, Spanish.

LTR_Seeker
05-09-2007, 12:04 AM
English only

KanadianKrusty
05-09-2007, 12:13 AM
I speak French, English, and a tiny bit of Russian

rhcpcr
05-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Espanol, English and Hebrew

qeuqheeg222
05-10-2007, 08:26 AM
english,some spanish and mwen pale petit kreyol...

MacShreach
05-10-2007, 10:16 AM
english,some spanish and mwen pale petit kreyol...

You speak Creole? That's interesting. Do you know of any on-line resources?

qeuqheeg222
05-11-2007, 07:59 AM
google haitian kreyol.some sources come up..i work with a bunch of haitians and live in a predominantly haitian neighborhood in miami so i learned a little this way...some books are available...i like the fact that down here the voting booths and registration cards are tri-lingual....america is very insular in its view of language..

gummi baer
05-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Although I took courses in Latin, French, German, and Greek in school my comprehension of any of them is less than 1%. I do think my English is pretty good for an American.

JANIRA
05-11-2007, 11:35 AM
BEING THAT I AM HALF CUBAN & HALF BRAZILIAN, I SPEAK ENGLISH, SPANISH, PORTUGUESE,,, AND ON OCCAISION I COULD SPEAK EBONICS....LOL

Nooksack
05-11-2007, 01:40 PM
I speak fluent French, VERY rudimentary German, Arabic and Pashto with a smattering of select phrases in Spanish, Italian and Portuguese.

MacShreach
05-11-2007, 09:04 PM
google haitian kreyol.

iloveshemales77
05-12-2007, 02:55 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

iloveshemales77
05-12-2007, 02:57 AM
PPerfection is non - exsistant... there is beauty is every flaw

lurve ya baby, besos mi amor!