PDA

View Full Version : BUMP: WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN PEOPLE TYPE BUMP?

wombat33
04-23-2007, 04:53 AM
ALSO WHAT IS THIS?

hwbs
04-23-2007, 04:56 AM
they are reviving a buried topic

peggygee
04-23-2007, 04:58 AM
They want to do a dance from
the 1970s with you.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/aninotes.gif

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/thbumpdance.gif

cp3rb25
04-23-2007, 05:09 AM
Bump
Up
My
Ecstatic
04-23-2007, 06:51 AM
... = ellipsis points (technically, three spaced dots), a puncuation mark intended to indicate that some ... information has been omitted (in this instance, the full phrase would read "some pertinent and valuable information"). When the omitted material includes the end or beginning of a sentence, the ellipsis points are preceeded by a period.... Ellipsis points are also used, though technically inaccurately, to indicate a dramatic pause ...

... or to set off parenthetical information (better placed between parens) or for emphasis--though dashes (or in print, an emdash) are a better choice. In the case of a forum post, when used alone, ellipsis points often indicate agreement with or implied quotation of what was posted previously, but with the poster being too lazy to type anything but:

Properly speaking, netiquette dictates that one should use either ellipsis or <snip> to shorten what one is quoting, as one's reply should be longer than the original post.

Congrats on hitting 1000 posts....

francisfkudrow
04-23-2007, 07:22 AM
As for "Bump", I think its just a way to keep a thread alive without actually coming up with a new comment.

As for the ..., I always thought that had to do with the fact that you cannot delete, only edit your posts. Someone posts something, then decides not to, so they just edit it down to ... I could be wrong...

werwt22
04-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Bump means bump to the top of the list. When a new post is made it moves the thread topic to the first subject on that forum. So if this thread is on the 6th page it will now be on the top of the list on the first page after my post.

Ecstatic
04-23-2007, 06:55 PM
As for the ..., I always thought that had to do with the fact that you cannot delete, only edit your posts. Someone posts something, then decides not to, so they just edit it down to ... I could be wrong...
Yep, another common usage of ellipsis as <snip>: incorrect, grammatically speaking, but whom da fuck cares about gramma onna fourem enyway? :lol:

peggygee
04-23-2007, 07:03 PM
... or to set off parenthetical information (better placed between parens) or for emphasis--though dashes (or in print, an emdash) are a better choice. In the case of a forum post, when used alone, ellipsis points often indicate agreement with or implied quotation of what was posted previously, but with the poster being too lazy to type anything but:

Properly speaking, netiquette dictates that one should use either ellipsis or <snip> to shorten what one is quoting, as one's reply should be longer than the original post.

Congrats on hitting 1000 posts....

I was aware of the proper usage of ellipsis points, but was fuzzy about
using it to set off parentesis, nor did I know the correct usage of <snip>.

Think I need to dust off my Strunk's style and usage. :wink:

whatsupwithat
04-23-2007, 07:05 PM
bump

ottorocket
04-23-2007, 07:06 PM
bump i was expecting this :P

whatsupwithat
04-23-2007, 07:11 PM
bump i was expecting this :P

i couldn't help myself! :)

wombat33
04-23-2007, 07:45 PM
They want to do a dance from
the 1970s with you.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/aninotes.gif

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/thbumpdance.gif

LOL!!!!!

Great one Peggy!

Ecstatic
04-23-2007, 09:21 PM
I was aware of the proper usage of ellipsis points, but was fuzzy about
using it to set off parentesis, nor did I know the correct usage of <snip>.

Think I need to dust off my Strunk's style and usage. :wink:
Grammar and usage are constantly evolving, and as someone with an MA in English and 10 years' experience teaching English, I find myself lamenting the demise of the language on the one hand and embracing the vibrancy of change on the other: some changes are fundamentally ugly or insipid, and should be railed against on general principles of intelligent and articulate communiction, but some changes, however much they fly in the face of vaunted tradition, are actually for the better and should be embraced.

Or: Change is sometimes good, sometimes not.

It seems natural that, in an online forum environment where one's control of one's text is constrained (as in not being able to delete one's own posts) that a convention would arise to fill that need; hence, the use of ellipsis to indicate that "hey, I changed my mind and want to withdraw my post, but the forum won't let me delete it, so I'll throw up them there three dots that says something's missing."

This is, in fact, how various punctuation marks came into common usage along with rules regarding their acceptable use. We're still trying to shake off two centuries of misinformed grammar police busting us every time we split an infinitive (and "boldly go") or end a sentence with a preposition.