PDA

View Full Version : Any TS here inject this estrogen?

Alison Faraday
04-17-2007, 12:08 AM
Hey Arianna :)

Hello btw, good to see you x

How do you inject these as they don't include syringes? Just interested really. I'm up for anything to give it a go.

Aly x

Here's another drug that I've been told is more effective than Spiro. Any TS here familiar with it?

http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/transgender/fincar-t.html

Ah that one. Yes I'm familiar with that. Finesteride. I took it for about 2-years then switched over to Dutasteride. They're prostate cancer drugs with the side effect of blocking male pattern baldness. That's their main function anyway. I take Dutasteride right now, brand name AVODART / PROSCAR.

The social issue with both Finesteride and Dutasteride is that they're linked with causing intersexed births. So no contact with women who are about to become or are pregnant. Not that we're going to anyway. :)

Androcur is the aggressive one if you want something better than Spiro. It really is that aggressive. Take 100mg (2-tablets) a day will kill of any erections in a matter of weeks. Permenant chemical castration will occur in about 6-months. Which I don't think is the case with spiro.

The thing with spiro is that it tastes so bloody awful. *eugh*

Unregistered
04-17-2007, 12:25 AM
I use a depo provera unijab which also contains progesterone.

johnie
04-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Hey Alison,

It sounds like Propecia is derived from those (or similiar) drugs. Grows your hair, but can cause genital abnormalities in unborn children.

A "wonder" drug.

Alison Faraday
04-17-2007, 02:03 AM
Hey Alison,

It sounds like Propecia is derived from those (or similiar) drugs. Grows your hair, but can cause genital abnormalities in unborn children.

A "wonder" drug.

yeep. Technically those taking these drugs shouldn't donate blood either. Here in the UK they'll refuse to take blood donations if you've ever had same-sex sex, erm, yet they'll take blood from people taking this drug. So they'll discriminate based on sexual choice, yet when given a clear medical reason will ignore it. Mind you, when you go into hospital here it's what you come out with which is more worrying than what it was when you went in.

The NHS here is fine if you have an emergency, but has been prodded and poked about by government so much that most of their resources are directed towards finding out who had too many cups of tea or an extra portion of peas in the staff restaurant.

This stuff works I'll testify to that. My Dad (and most of the males in the family) are totally shiny bald. You haven't seen my before pic, and neither are you going to. ;-)

It doesn't work for everyone though so very hit and miss as with all of these things. Dutersteride is one-up on Finesteride since it blocks a 3rd type of DHT. I'm not quite sure of the exact ins and outs.

Tobe
04-17-2007, 03:23 AM
Yeah finasteride inhibits Type I 5-alpha reductase. As you mentioned, dutasteride is thought to be more potent because it blocks Type I and Type II 5-alpha reductase (but the drug has not been studied as much and is used less often). In either case the conversion of testosterone to DHT is reduced. DHT levels go down and testosterone levels go up. Both of these are thought to act on the same receptors, but DHT is a much stronger androgen.

DHT is implicated in male pattern baldness, but is also necessary for the development of male external genitalia. So if a pregnant woman is given one of these drugs in large enough doses, if she is carrying a male baby it will have ambiguous external genitalia. Internal sex organs will still be normal male. I'm not positive what would happen if the baby is female, but theoretically, DHT is not necessary for female development.

An interesting intersex condition is 5 alpha reductase deficiency in which this enzyme is absent due to a genetic mutation. 46 xx females are born normal and remain normal. 46 xy males are born with female external genitalia (perhaps with an enlarged clitoris). As a result, they are often raised as girls. However, at puberty, testosterone levels rise and are able to overcome the lack of DHT and lead to penile growth to varying degree. All the male internal structures are relatively normal.

You bring up an excellent point about blood donation. Only a few drugs cause problems with this, but finasteride and dutasteride are two of them because they may cause the above mentioned birth problems even at very low concentrations. Technically, although not always in practice, donors should be asked about these and a few other drugs (e.g., accutane used for acne). People should not donate until they have stopped taking these drugs for one month in the case of accutane and finasteride and six months for dutasteride.

As far as drug choices are concerned, an endocrinologist who has experience with transgendered patients would be a very good resource. This isn't exactly the type of stuff that's taught in med school.

I am not aware of any great advantages to to injectable estrogen over oral or transdermal patch preparations. For the estradiol valerate linked to in this thread, standard dose for postmenopausal women is 10-20 mg every 4 weeks.
For finasteride, standard dose for hairloss is 1 mg daily.
Androcur 100mg 2 times per day looks like a pretty high dose. It may be toxic to the liver, so this must be monitored. This drug is not used often in the US.

Caleigh
04-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Arianna, have you found a good experienced endocrinologist yet?
There must be someone nearby though I know that between
the psych evaluations some doctors demand and the visits
themselves it's not inexpensive.

Ibrar
04-17-2007, 02:51 PM
The NHS here is fine if you have an emergency, but has been prodded and poked about by government so much that most of their resources are directed towards finding out who had too many cups of tea or an extra portion of peas in the staff restaurant.

That's funny cause it's true :)