PDA

View Full Version : I need help with walking...

Aragon21
04-13-2007, 06:48 PM
We are all familiar with the chair/wheelchair that if you are on medicaid or have insurance...it is FREE!

I just heard a commercial that straight up said 12,000 peoeple recieved their FREE chair since the program started.

Now I do not claim to have a doctorate/masters/degree in economics, but I have seen this commercial for a FREE "wheelchair" for at least 10 years! The simple math says they have given away 1200 FREE "wheelchairs" a year.

Uh, why advertise? ....Oh that's right...because they have SOLD 100+X as many!

This is as sad as seeing the promise of free money if I give my bank account to swindlers that promise "riches" in return. 12000...think about it...they advertised the numbers...they straight up said "there was no reason we spent the money to advertise for a 1/2 hr at a time, unless we made money."

Just saying. :evil:

Thank God my grandmother has never operated a motorized vehicle (cars included) because this scam is apprehensible!

MacShreach
04-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Thank God my grandmother has never operated a motorized vehicle (cars included) because this scam is apprehensible!

You're going to have to take me through that slowly.......

MrsKellyPierce
04-13-2007, 07:17 PM
I thought that said WANKING lol

Aragon21
04-13-2007, 07:29 PM

Well should I be honored that you looked into this thread then? :wink:

MacShreach
04-13-2007, 07:29 PM

LOL And were you going to help?

MrsKellyPierce
04-13-2007, 07:30 PM

LOL And were you going to help? no

TGL
04-13-2007, 07:31 PM
I just think Kelly is "under pressure" if you know what I mean ;) It's like you hear what you want to hear: You read what you want to read... Maybe Kelly just need a good wa***** :lol:

Just kidding Kelly, don't get mad at me :P

zookeeper
04-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Apprehensible? Is that anything like reprehensible?

MacShreach
04-13-2007, 08:04 PM

LOL And were you going to help? no

I was j/k Kelly, no offence meant. M

MacShreach
04-13-2007, 08:05 PM

Maaaaybe.....In whose alternate universe?

peggygee
04-13-2007, 08:45 PM

Me think, hit Superman is
apprehensible.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/bizzaro.jpg

:roll:

BeardedOne
04-13-2007, 08:57 PM

It's Bizarro Grammar 101 (Which is 101 backwards :wink: ).

I think Aragon's point is that the concept of 'free' has become somewhat skewed in the modern age.

An example is recent radio ads I've heard in the Philly area. One is from a car dealership that claims they are "Giving away cars! That's right! Giving them away!". The few of us that haven't yet sold our brains to science hear the message between the lines of the screeching announcer ("Giving them away" translates to "No payments for one year").

Another is for Hollywood Tans and a contest to 'win' a Porsche Boxster (Bachster?). Now, I always thought win = 'free' (Plus tax, of course), but Hollywood Tans carefully inserts a quiet disclaimer in the ad: "Prize is a two-year lease". So, you 'win' a car and then, after two years, have to give it back?

Whassup wit' dat? :roll:

In another topic here on HA, DCBallin has wondered why he is asked to enter credit card info for his "10 Free Minutes of VOD". Having my finger in the pie at a VOD site ( www.bestcoyotevideo.com ), I'm always curious to hear from fans and potential customers, so the thread popped into my eyeballs straight away. Our site also has a 'test-drive' feature of free minutes.

First, let's start with Robert Heinlein's favorite catch phrase: TANSTAAFL (Pronounced tahn-stah-full). There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Yes, you get the ten free minutes, but they are quite understandably the 'hook' to get you to watch more. AOL offers you muggledywump 'free' hours of their service, but they also require billing info in order for you to sign up. The marketing concept is simple: Let the customer play with the puppy for a while, they will usually take it home with them. We have great stuff at our site, I know Seanchai has great stuff at his, so we have a 'test-drive' option. Naturally, we hope that at the end of the ten minutes you'll want to stay for the rest of the show and it's in our best interest to A) not stop the show while you enter your billing info (It breaks the mood and could cost a sale) and B) protects the site from providing eleven, twelve, etc. free minutes beyond the test-drive (It's really hard to pay rent, server fees, etc. that way).

Another thing that some don't consider is that having the credit card info on file is a limited form of protection against underage users accessing the sites. If a kid has a credit card available to them I would consider that a serious parental responsibility issue. And yah, been there, did that, had stern words and more with my errant son. :roll:

Back to the issue of 'free' wheelchairs: If they are provided to Medicaid or insured people, they are NOT free. Medicaid or the insurance company pay for them. Even if they were 'free', it's a sure bet that they write them off (At retail) as an advertising expense.

So, it's not a scam, as you surmise. You just need to read it the right way.

BeardedOne
04-13-2007, 08:58 PM

apprehensible.

Damn!

You beat me to it!

:lol:

MacShreach
04-14-2007, 01:57 AM

apprehensible.

You got me. :D :D :D

MacShreach
04-14-2007, 02:13 AM

It's Bizarro Grammar 101 (Which is 101 backwards :wink: ).

I think Aragon's point is that the concept of 'free' has become somewhat skewed in the modern age.

B1 I'm a linguistic pedant and, no offence, you know, but the way some people put things has me in tears with laughter. :D