PDA

View Full Version : T'Was the Night Before The Sopranos...

chefmike
04-07-2007, 11:42 PM
I would rather see another season of Rome myself, but I'm still looking forward to this final Sopranos season...

T'Was the Night Before The Sopranos
Marvin Kitman

The start of a new season of The Sopranos is a religious holiday in my neck of the woods in Northern New Jersey. The holy day this year is Sunday, April 8.

I am part of a cult which gets the new season episodes in advance, made available by HBO because of my clout as (once) one of the most powerful media critics in the nation.

To celebrate this event, members of our group, which we call "The Sopranos Asphalt Paving and Literary Society," gathered at my house for a rare advance showing of the much anticipated episodes #78 and #79, the first two of what is euphemistically called "the final season." You should know people in New Jersey will kill to get to see these shows.

Only made men and their molls are invited. By made men, in TV terms we mean people who can be trusted not to violate the Omerta, the TV code of silence regarding what they have seen.

With all the cars pulled up in front of our house Wednesday night to catch what Tony S., as we call him, and our own favorite TV dysfunctional family had been doing in the last 18 months, it may have seem to the FBI like a Little Appalachia.

On this night only, we have our own set of rules. The wearing of pinky rings is encouraged, if you got them. Participants are warned there will be a metal detector at the door. We greet each other with the classic Soprano hello and goodbye, the big hug, and slap on the back. This can be embarrassing to the occasional outside woman who think we are getting fresh. Actually, as the greeter at the door, I am also checking for wires. No recording devices are allowed.

We use the F- word more than usual.

And then we settle down to eat. My wife cooks up a f------storm.

We only eat before the show, during the show, and after the show. The thing about "The Sopranos" is what would they do without Tony eating at work or play? Social scientists always worry about the causal effect of violence in the media and its impact on the real world. What about the effect of seeing a leading TV hero like Tony eating all the time. I've gone from a 34 to 36 waist since The Sopranos began on HBO six years ago.

Then we settle in to watch the episodes.

As soon as the theme starts, our hearts start pumping. Some of us put our hands on our hearts. You should know this anthem "Woke Up This Morning" is the official New Jersey state song. Or it should be .

Then we start weighing in on serious issues.

Has Tone, , as we also call him, lost weight?

Who will get whacked?

Do they have any new plot ideas? There had been complaints in previous seasons, grumbling amongst our paisanos that the show was starting to repeat itself, like a good glass of beer. Some of us are so demanding. Whatsmattawidyou? Schiller said there are only seven basic plots

Anyways, The Sopranos doesn't have to be that entertaining and gripping anymore. They are family. When you spend time with cousin Florence or cousin Harriet you don't expect real entertainment. It's always the same old, same old. The Sopranos is universal in this way.

I don't know how I can sleep at night. Wild horses and torture wouldn't get any of producer David Chase and his creative team's plot turns on old themes out of me. I know who gets whacked and who doesn't. Suffice it to say, this is the best Sopranos since last year's. And the year before that.

An important cultural note. Of special interest to lovers of the modern dance: We don't get to see the Bada Bing pole dancers until half way through the second episode And there is the most hilarious Monoply game since "the Parker Fucking Brothers" invented it. I better stop this before I violate the code and wind up swimming with the fishes.

As the membership left, carrying food with them for the trip home, a motion was made by Bayone Eddie to celebrate the holy day next year by going to lunch at the Bada Bing.

MrsKellyPierce
04-07-2007, 11:43 PM
lol

peggygee
04-08-2007, 07:03 AM
Now if only there's a new Simpsons
on that night also, fahgettaboutit!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/simpsons_rx5.jpg

alwaysforyou
04-08-2007, 07:09 AM
I have been to the Bada Bing but I have to say that the atmosphere sucks unless you shoot steroids in your ass.

chefmike
04-08-2007, 06:52 PM
I have been to the Bada Bing but I have to say that the atmosphere sucks unless you shoot steroids in your ass.

I know the type...they have a fondness for tight tank tops, gold chains, and heavily moussed hair...

chefmike
04-09-2007, 02:30 AM
:arrow:

alwaysforyou
04-09-2007, 02:53 AM
It will be on in minutes. Can't wait to pass Bada Bing on the way to school tomorrow.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
04-09-2007, 04:08 AM
not a bad episode
Tony won in the end
hehehe

chefmike
04-09-2007, 08:46 AM
not a bad episode
Tony won in the end
hehehe

I enjoyed it. It wasn't what I had expected for the first episode, what with all that drama at the lake and everything...but I thought that the writing, and especially the acting, was top-notch. The Sopranos with a touch of Tennessee Williams....

TomSelis
04-09-2007, 05:10 PM
That ripped shirt is going to bite Bobby in the ass.

chefmike
04-09-2007, 05:34 PM

When Tony and Bobby took that drive, I thought that Tony just might beat Bobby to death with one of his new golf clubs, but instead he just ordered him to kill someone... :shrug

TomSelis
04-09-2007, 05:57 PM

When Tony and Bobby took that drive, I thought that Tony just might beat Bobby to death with one of his new golf clubs, but instead he just ordered him to kill someone... :shrug

Yeah, that drive was reminiscent of Adrianna. Then Carmella and Janice talking about how spiteful Livia and Tony Sr. were. It's looking like Tony's more like Livia!

Ironhead
04-09-2007, 06:20 PM
I agree with you chefmike, I wasn't too impressed by the premise of going up to the lake at first but it was so well done that it not only sucked me in but completely won me over. The acting never fails to deliver, at least from Gandolfini.

the Adrienne Barbeaubot
04-09-2007, 11:18 PM
I missed it last night. Luckily it will be replayed tonight. 8)

timxxx
04-10-2007, 12:14 AM
:x It's ok for you guys in the U.S. I'm not sure how long we will have to wait to see here in the U.K.

:idea: P2P

chefmike
04-16-2007, 09:03 AM
"Meat-packers? I'm a happily married man!"

I thought that it was a damn good episode!

And all kidding aside, I think that the big C is scarier than any fucking bullet...

It took my father, just like it could take any one of us, at any given time.