PDA

View Full Version : Post your favorite Mother's recipe! (Food Thread)

Hara_Juku Tgirl
04-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Ok taken from my forum which I posted awhile ago (May 2006).

Here is ONE of mine:

http://www.espisfoods.com/images/adobo_pork.jpg
CHICKEN/PORK ADOBO

Adobo is the Spanish word for seasoning or marinade. Adobo is also a term used as the name for a common dish in the Philippines, typically made from pork or chicken or a combination of both. It is slow-cooked in soy sauce, vinegar, crushed garlic, bay leaf, and black peppercorns, and often browned in the oven or pan-fried afterwards to get the desirable crisped edges. This dish originates from the northern region of the Philippines.

Ingridients:

1 regular sized chicken or pork, cut into pieces
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon vinegar
a head garlic, macerated
1/4 c oil

Directions:

Clean and cut chicken into pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Place in a saucepan and add bay leaf, garlic, and vinegar. Let simmer until tender. Add water if needed, add 1/2 cup hot water at a time. When the meat is tender, add the oil and saute until brown. Serve hot.

What's you favorite mother's recipe?. :wink:

~Kisses.

HTG

Jericho
04-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Mine couldn't cook...I saw her burn water once!
Gravy...One slice or two? :P

lupinIII
04-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Spicy Sri Lankan Chicken Curry

1/4 cup of good quality cooking oil
1/2 tbs ground coriander (cilantro) seed
1/2 tbs ground cumin
a pinch of ground fennel seed
1 and a 1/2 tbs chilli powder
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 and a 1/2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
a chunk of ginger maybe the size of a largish marble, also finely chopped
1 and a 1/2 onions (whichever kind you like, I like big red ones)
1 or two curry leaves
a centimetre or so of pandanus leaf

Add all the above ingredients into a saucepan stir, and heat till the onion goes soft-ish, make sure it doesn't burn as I stupidly do all the time. Add to this

A chopped and cleaned chicken (the whole chicken gives you better flavour but is a pain to chop, clean etc.) or about 500g diced, and cleaned chicken fillets (or whatever the equivalent is for you Imperial barbarians).

Once you've added and stirred your chicken pieces into the oil and spices, leave them to cook through.

When the chicken's done add 1 cup of room temperature water, and some roughly chopped potatoes. Stir through and bring back to boil

After the potatoes are soft (you may need to add water through their cooking), simmer the sauce down so it's quite thick. To this, add 1 tin (or the imperial equivalent of about 420 ml) of coconut cream. Stir through and simmer for about 2-3 minutes. Rest the curry for 5 minutes.

Garnish with a generous handful of chopped cilantro leaves and chopped grape tomatoes.

Serve over steamed jasmine rice. For those who can't handle the heat a touch of yoghurt on the side of the rice helps, with both the heat and spiciness of the curry.

Yeah, awesome, when not in use, store in air-sealed containers in the fridge, all the flavours really infuse into the chicken in the fridge overnight.

Bon Apetit

Off topic, hey all, I'm a longtime lurker etc. etc.

I'm a 21 y/o bi-sexual male from the Australian capital. I'm a poor yet post-modern, struggling uni student. I love popular art, popular music and popular culture in general.

I like to play music, and currently play bass in a pop (big surprise there) band with some friends and also spend half my lectures doing stupid cartooning as opposed to listening and note-taking. I love good food, I love to cook and eating with good people.

Eh yeah, can't think of anything else, hope someone tries to make my curry. It's pretty close to what my mum used to make, I tend to omit some things, add some others and turn it into something entirely different so I can't quite remember the original, whatever I do it's usually pretty fantastic. (who needs modesty?)

Hara_Juku Tgirl
04-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Mine couldn't cook...I saw her burn water once!
Gravy...One slice or two? :P

LOL :lol: Sorry to hear that Jeriho! :lol:

Hmm..I've gotta try your Sri Lankan Curry Chicken lupinIII. :P

~Kisses.

HTG

TGL
04-05-2007, 12:02 AM
If I ever meet you Hara, you have to cook me that dinner :D

Hara_Juku Tgirl
04-05-2007, 12:20 AM
If I ever meet you Hara, you have to cook me that dinner :D

LOL :lol: Sure. I dont see why not? ;)

lupinIII Welcome to HA! I hope you're enjoying yourself. :P

You should try my moms Curry Chicken:

1 kilo chicken breast, cut into serving pieces

2 finely chopped onions

3 big onions, sliced thickly

3 cloves garlic, chopped finely

4 green long chillies

1 tbs curry powder

2 cups coconut milk (second squeeze)

1/2 cup first squeezed coconut milk

note: if using instant coc milk powder, add 2 cups of water into 100g. of coco powder.

salt & pepper

wansoy or coriander

Directions:

Sautee garlic and onions until slightly brown and tender. Add chicken and cook until brown. Add curry powder, stir and pour 2 cups of coco milk. Boil until chicken is cooked and sauce has evaporated. When sauce is almost gone, pour in first squeezed coco milk. Simmer until sauced has thickened. (If using coco powder, dissolve 100g coco powder in 2 cups of water and boil chicken with it.) Add chillies. Stir and simmer for few more minutes. Season and sprinkle wansoy or coriander then take out from pan and serve hot with rice.

~Kisses.

HTG

Aragon21
04-05-2007, 06:06 AM
My mom's meatloaf is the bomb! She also makes a side dish casserole from hashbrowns. Mmmmm, yummy yummy in my tummy.

The unfortunate thing is that she likes to experiment. Once when she was short of ketchup for a meatloaf she used salsa. :puke

whatsupwithat
04-05-2007, 06:09 AM
Ok taken from my forum which I posted awhile ago (May 2006).

Here is ONE of mine:

http://www.espisfoods.com/images/adobo_pork.jpg
CHICKEN/PORK ADOBO

Adobo is the Spanish word for seasoning or marinade. Adobo is also a term used as the name for a common dish in the Philippines, typically made from pork or chicken or a combination of both. It is slow-cooked in soy sauce, vinegar, crushed garlic, bay leaf, and black peppercorns, and often browned in the oven or pan-fried afterwards to get the desirable crisped edges. This dish originates from the northern region of the Philippines.

Ingridients:

1 regular sized chicken or pork, cut into pieces
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon vinegar
a head garlic, macerated
1/4 c oil

Directions:

Clean and cut chicken into pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Place in a saucepan and add bay leaf, garlic, and vinegar. Let simmer until tender. Add water if needed, add 1/2 cup hot water at a time. When the meat is tender, add the oil and saute until brown. Serve hot.

~Kisses.

HTG

I cook a mean adobo! Love adobo! Yum! :)

Hara_Juku Tgirl
04-05-2007, 06:16 AM

Hmm..I see another thing we have in common! LOL :P

Did you use to go out with a filipina whatsupwithat?

~Kisses.

HTG

whatsupwithat
04-05-2007, 06:27 AM

Hmm..I see another thing we have in common! LOL :P

Did you use to go out with a filipina whatsupwithat?

~Kisses.

HTG

Yep, a filipina ts, 13 years. Friends now. :)

The adobo will stay with me forever, though.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
04-05-2007, 06:30 AM
:shock: Wow..13 years?!? Queen's girl? What happened? Sorry to be nosey..LOL

Hmm..I'm getting hungry! LOL

;)

~Kisses.

HTG

yosi
04-05-2007, 06:53 AM
1 small/medium sized chicken
1 kilo of salt

cover the chicken completely with the salt, put in the oven for 1.5 hours in 180 c .

take away all the salt and - bon apetite 8)

as simple as it may look , it has a GREAT taste , trust me , I am a chef in my profession :wink:

whatsupwithat
04-05-2007, 04:10 PM

;)

~Kisses.

HTG

No, not a queens girl. Although we did live in queens for bit. :)

Our breakup is an age old tale. Some people change. Others don't.

Wait...are you from NYC? Queens? Are yo part of that whole group of girls I see?

Hara_Juku Tgirl
04-05-2007, 07:21 PM

;)

~Kisses.

HTG

No, not a queens girl. Although we did live in queens for bit. :)

Our breakup is an age old tale. Some people change. Others don't.

Wait...are you from NYC? Queens? Are yo part of that whole group of girls I see?

No I'm from LA now but I did used to live back east. Not part of their cliche either but I've pretty much met most of the filipina queens girls whatsupwithat. ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

latrix67
04-05-2007, 09:40 PM
These are'nt my mothers recipies but from the cookbook of "The Brigade of Gurkas" curry cookbook.

whatsupwithat
04-06-2007, 01:25 AM
Not part of their cliche either but I've pretty much met most of the filipina queens girls whatsupwithat. ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

I think everyone has. They, uhm, tend to dominate certain areas of the ts scene here in nyc. :)

arc angel
04-06-2007, 01:36 AM
:D i see dinner someplace for E and Hara in my fortune cookie .
just kiddin,your both good peeps now get togather and have a dinner party i am there!.

whatsupwithat
04-06-2007, 01:55 AM
:D i see dinner someplace for E and Hara in my fortune cookie .
just kiddin,your both good peeps now get togather and have a dinner party i am there!.

You are cordially invited. Now we just have to get Hara to attend! Maybe cook up some adobo...hmmmm.

ps - how are things going for you? better?

Hara_Juku Tgirl
04-06-2007, 02:04 AM
No problem cooking. LOL And I make great chicken or pork adobo or both (mixed in) with a side of chinese friend rice. But I'm in LA! :? Lmao :lol:

~Kisses.

HTG

arc angel
04-06-2007, 02:16 AM
E ,i will be there with bells on ! Hara .. ?

feeling better E, thanks for askin i do hope to be in the city soon i will let you know when lets share a smile and a drink.

wombat33
04-06-2007, 02:45 AM
erve hot.

~Kisses.

HTG[/quote]

Killer Macaroni and Cheese. (NOT A LOW CAL DISH)

You will need:
2 pounds raw elbow or shell macaroni.
1/2 pound monterey jack cheese shredded
1 pound chedar cheese shredded
1 qauart chicken broth.
1 pint heavy cream

(melt butter and add flour and make paste - roux)
4 table spoons butter
4 tablespoons flour

Method:

Boile water in a large pot and cook pasta very al dente.
cool and hold aside.

Boil the chicken broth. Add the roux paste and thicken. Then add the cream and mix.
Then add 1/2 pound of cheddar and 1/2 pound of monterey jack cheese.
Add some salt and pepper to taste.

Add to the cooled macaroni and mix together (should be thick saucy)
sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 pound cheddar on the top and bake at 400 so the top is nice and bubbly brown.

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lupinIII
04-06-2007, 03:19 AM
Aww dude, that sounds like the greatest mac and cheese ever.

One day I'll put up my recipe for a really good pasta sauce.

medmanus
04-06-2007, 04:25 AM
Wombat, that mac & cheese is very similar to mine, but I started using a bit of smoked gouda and swiss thanks to a tip from the owner of the Hog Pit in NYC.

It also reminds me of a rather amusing event that happened last summer. I rented a townhouse with an old friend who happens to be a lesbian. She invited me to go to her friend's with her for what she said was the best mac & cheese in the world which was to be made by her friend's sister. We got there, and were all in the kitchen, six lesbians, me & the sister who was straight and quite cute. She was running around like mad getting everything prepped and I offered to help. She said 'Ok, can you just stir this for me, it has to be whisked continuously'. I said, 'Ok, how dark do you like your roux? I typically stay with a just past golden when I make my mac & cheese, a light brown. I obviously do a red when I make seafood gumbo, or the likes, and a brown for my etoufee or chicken gumbo.'

She was rather impressed and startled, when my roomie explained that I had gone to CIA in Hyde Park, but couldn't deal with the hours of being a chef professionally, and later studied further in New Orleans when I lived there.

So, the sister and i are getting along famously, cooking together, conversing on all types of subject matter, etc. I've already made up my mind that I am going to ask her to dinner at the end of the evening.

I leave the room, and the sister questions my roomie about my dating availability. As I am walking back to the room, I here the roomie proclaim 'I wouldn't get your hopes up.....he tends to prefer Latin girls......with dicks'

Needless to say, she didn't go out with me.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
04-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Hmm..I love Mac and cheese! :P

~Kisses.

HTG