PDA

View Full Version : Best actors in Hollywood

sucka4chix
03-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Movie thread got me to thinking I basically go see movies based on who's in them. So I'm wondering who you think is the best actor out there.
I think you can't go wrong with Denzel Washington, Bruce Willis and, dare I say it, Will Smith ( I keep forecasting his demise and he keeps proving me wrong!). What do you guys think?

stillies77
03-24-2007, 06:10 PM
i have never seen a bad Will Smith or a bad Denzel movie the more i think about it...I have never seen Ewan Macgregor pull out a bad performance either. And Leo has won me over in recent years (Catch me.., The Departed, Blood Diamond) Tom Hanks still has it, Mark Wahlberg is getting better and better too.

Coroner
03-24-2007, 06:11 PM
hollywood has no actors. not anymore.

sucka4chix
03-24-2007, 06:20 PM
i have never seen a bad Will Smith or a bad Denzel movie the more i think about it...I have never seen Ewan Macgregor pull out a bad performance either. And Leo has won me over in recent years (Catch me.., The Departed, Blood Diamond) Tom Hanks still has it, Mark Wahlberg is getting better and better too.
I thought Tom Hanks was absolutely the pinnacle years ago. I still don't think anyone could have done "Big" and act totally like a kid or "Gump" except him. He's definitely the most versatile.
It's funny I was thinking of mentioning Mark Wahlberg too.

elo
03-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Steve Buscemi(Pulp Fiction,The Big Lebowski) comes to my mind,John Cusack(Runaway Jury,City Hall),Edward Norton(Primal Fear,American History X)

MrsKellyPierce
03-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Matthew Mccounaghey

Christian Bale

Fockzilla
03-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Johnny Depp.

kaientai
03-25-2007, 12:30 AM
christian bale
jack nicholson
denzel washington
paul giamata
steve buscemi

DJ_Asia
03-25-2007, 12:32 AM
Kevin Spacey is the best far and away IMO

chefmike
03-25-2007, 01:01 AM
Off the top of my head....best LIVING actors?

Robert De Niro

Jack Nicholson

Dustin Hoffman

Al Pacino

Billy Bob Thornton

Samuel Jackson

Kevin Spacey

wombat33
03-25-2007, 01:02 AM
Movie thread got me to thinking I basically go see movies based on who's in them. So I'm wondering who you think is the best actor out there.
I think you can't go wrong with Denzel Washington, Bruce Willis and, dare I say it, Will Smith ( I keep forecasting his demise and he keeps proving me wrong!). What do you guys think?

Here are some of the best....................ever.

Robert Duvall

DeNiro

Tom Hanks

Paul Newman

Jeremy Irons

Robin Williams (genious....loved him in Good Will Hunting)

Morgan Freeman

Mr. Jack Nicholson

Kevin Spacey

Honorable Mention:

Denzel (only because of Hurriccaine and Glory........all else is "eh" from him)

Sean Connery (Screen Appeal)

Pacino.....he has slipped BIG TIME in the last ten years

Christopher Wwalken

Phillip Seymore Hoffman (almost there)

Ed Harris

Dustin Hoffman (sometimes he sucks....sometimes he is great)

The truth is spoken

foolish99
03-25-2007, 01:03 AM
mickey rourke

chefmike
03-25-2007, 01:11 AM

Robert Duvall

DeNiro

Tom Hanks

Paul Newman

Jeremy Irons

Morgan Freeman

Mr. Jack Nicholson

Kevin Spacey

Honorable Mention:

Christopher Wwalken

Ed Harris

The truth is spoken

Good point on Duvall, I agree, he's one of the greats...I also agree on P.S. Hoffman...and Hanks is certainly no slouch...but what about character actors? William H. Macy...one of the best ever...and that's a bold statement, my friends... :wink:

chefmike
03-25-2007, 01:12 AM
Props on P. Newman, also...

elo
03-25-2007, 01:21 AM
John Hurt(Rob Roy),very good in playing the arogant,educated gentlemen

Tim Roth(Rob Roy;Reservoir Dogs;Pulp Fiction)

ILuvGurls
03-25-2007, 02:14 AM
I thought Tom Hanks was absolutely the pinnacle years ago. I still don't think anyone could have done "Big" and act totally like a kid or "Gump" except him. He's definitely the most versatile.
It's funny I was thinking of mentioning Mark Wahlberg too.

and then do private ryan.....yeah he was the best

probably got to throw a vote or 2 for harrison ford

DJ_Asia
03-25-2007, 02:51 AM

Denzel was great in Training Day

Hara_Juku Tgirl
03-25-2007, 03:09 AM
1. Jeremy Irons
2. Brad Pitt
3. Samuel Jackson
4. Jude Law
5. Johnny Depp
6. Denzel Washington
7. Ewan McGreggor
8. Gary Oldman
9. Josh Harnett
10. Ben Kingsley

~Kisses.

HTG

crayons
03-25-2007, 04:11 AM

cosign.

I actually refrained from posting my 10 favorite films because I was appauled by the *obvious* selections listed by other members. I think it was you and Allanah that had some interesting picks, but someone mentioned Hustle and Flow and I realized it was time to stop reading.

dc_guy_75
03-25-2007, 05:29 AM
I think DiCaprio is the best young actor. I used to hate him, but when I saw "This Boys Life", I was awestruck.

olite71
03-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Truly Hollywood is about "overacting" today. This isn't to say the talent isn't there, it is, but the work they're given doesn't generally allow them to use their talent.

An "actor" should never be judged by one performance, but by a body of work...And if the body of work is diverse, then it is easy to separate the great actors from the merely good actors.

In the old Studio system, actors were fed a steady diet of DIVERSE work--and they worked all the time--none of this three or four films a year crap. Under this grueling schedule and under the thumb of demanding and brilliant directors, the actor suitably played a role, instead of being asked to carry a picture.

But in playing that role well, the actor subtly and imperceptibly was able to carry the picture (in a manner of speaking).

Some "greats" from the past that almost noone today can touch are:

Frederic March
Edward G. Robinson
Robert Mitchum
Cary Grant
Richard Burton
Paul Muni
Charles Boyer
Spencer Tracy
William Holden
Kirk Douglas
Audrey Hepburn
Katherine Hepburn
Ingrid Bergman
Liz Taylor
Vivian Leigh
Rosalind Russell
Rita Hayworth

====

Some Greats that bridge the gap:

Robert Duvall
Jason Robards
Marlon Brando
Glenda Jackson
Robert DeNiro
Al Pacino
Sidney Portier
Burt Lancaster
George C. Scott
Montgomery Clift
Vanessa Redgrave
Sissy Spacek
Meryl Streep
Peter Sellers

-----------

As for today, there is almost nobody under fifty who even comes close to the above---it's not a function of lack of talent, however, it's because there are almost no good roles to play--given Hollywood, Inc....And good acting is like the tree in the forest---it ain't about "potential" it's about what you do...so if nobody is around to hear that tree--there's no noise, just as if there are no good roles to play, there's no good acting. (of course this is an exaggeration there are good roles out ther but only as many now in ten seasons as there once was in one season of films).

TJT
03-25-2007, 08:20 AM
I like Johnny Depp and Jeff Bridges at the moment. Harvey Keitel is good. De Niro can be. Jean Reno and Gary Oldman are solid but I don't really think of them as strictly Hollywood actors?

I used to like Mickey Rourke early in his career,but he became,well... Mickey Rourke,a caricature of himself.

Coroner
03-25-2007, 02:31 PM

cosign.

I actually refrained from posting my 10 favorite films because I was appauled by the *obvious* selections listed by other members. I think it was you and Allanah that had some interesting picks, but someone mentioned Hustle and Flow and I realized it was time to stop reading.

:D that´s really sad.... but it depends on the way you understand movies and their meaning for you. Some people watch it for fun ans for someone they´re passion. Most new movies are just crap and when I go to the cinema, I mostly watch retrospectives of older movies. Movies mean art to me not fun.

sucka4chix
03-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Truly Hollywood is about "overacting" today. This isn't to say the talent isn't there, it is, but the work they're given doesn't generally allow them to use their talent.

An "actor" should never be judged by one performance, but by a body of work...And if the body of work is diverse, then it is easy to separate the great actors from the merely good actors.

In the old Studio system, actors were fed a steady diet of DIVERSE work--and they worked all the time--none of this three or four films a year crap. Under this grueling schedule and under the thumb of demanding and brilliant directors, the actor suitably played a role, instead of being asked to carry a picture.

But in playing that role well, the actor subtly and imperceptibly was able to carry the picture (in a manner of speaking).

Some "greats" from the past that almost noone today can touch are:

Frederic March
Edward G. Robinson
Robert Mitchum
Cary Grant
Richard Burton
Paul Muni
Charles Boyer
Spencer Tracy
William Holden
Kirk Douglas
Audrey Hepburn
Katherine Hepburn
Ingrid Bergman
Liz Taylor
Vivian Leigh
Rosalind Russell
Rita Hayworth

====

Some Greats that bridge the gap:

Robert Duvall
Jason Robards
Marlon Brando
Glenda Jackson
Robert DeNiro
Al Pacino
Sidney Portier
Burt Lancaster
George C. Scott
Montgomery Clift
Vanessa Redgrave
Sissy Spacek
Meryl Streep
Peter Sellers

-----------

As for today, there is almost nobody under fifty who even comes close to the above---it's not a function of lack of talent, however, it's because there are almost no good roles to play--given Hollywood, Inc....And good acting is like the tree in the forest---it ain't about "potential" it's about what you do...so if nobody is around to hear that tree--there's no noise, just as if there are no good roles to play, there's no good acting. (of course this is an exaggeration there are good roles out ther but only as many now in ten seasons as there once was in one season of films).

I can't intelligently argue against this, but so many times I've watched old classics and I come away thinking "man, they couldn't act back then". They talk in boring monotonous voices with almost no emotion, and so much of it seems fit for a musical, even when it's not. Never really got the hype over Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant and even Portier ("they call me Mr. Tibbs", what a convincing line--- not), but I'm sure I'm missing something.

wombat33
03-26-2007, 01:45 AM

Robert Duvall

DeNiro

Tom Hanks

Paul Newman

Jeremy Irons

Morgan Freeman

Mr. Jack Nicholson

Kevin Spacey

Honorable Mention:

Christopher Wwalken

Ed Harris

The truth is spoken

Good point on Duvall, I agree, he's one of the greats...I also agree on P.S. Hoffman...and Hanks is certainly no slouch...but what about character actors? William H. Macy...one of the best ever...and that's a bold statement, my friends... :wink:

Oh fuck yeah, I forgot Macy

"Where's my dinner"

"Where's my dinner"

"Where's my dinner"

(from Pleasantville)

Also saw him the other night in an old Travolta movie as a lawyer (A Civil Action).

Yeah, gotta get him in there for sure.

wombat33
03-26-2007, 01:47 AM

See, now I did not think so at all. I thought that Grammy was a "biscuit" when in fact his role in Glory and Hurricaine were (in my opinion) where he really shined. I like him alot........LOVED him in that body guard movie where he watched the kid in Mexico. One of my favs for screen presence..........but not acting skills.

Kramer
03-26-2007, 02:35 AM
1-DeNiro
2-Nicholson
3-Hanks
4-Duvall
5-Spacey
6-Pacino
7-Newman
8-Steiger
9-Brando
10-Pitt

Anyone that dont have DeNiro first is crazy! See, Cape Fear!! Geez!! 8)

Kramer
03-26-2007, 02:40 AM
Oh and dont forget Russell Crowe. Gladiator and a Beatuiful Mind were terrific acting jobs.

Its a travesty that he didnt win an oscar for A Beautiful Mind!!

wombat33
03-26-2007, 02:41 AM
1-DeNiro
2-Nicholson
3-Hanks
4-Duvall
5-Spacey
6-Pacino
7-Newman
8-Steiger
9-Brando
10-Pitt

Anyone that dont have DeNiro first is crazy! See, Cape Fear!! Geez!! 8)

Agreed on the greatness of Cape Fear..............but I put duvall ahead of Deniro........by a hair

chefmike
03-26-2007, 03:04 AM
I agree with all those who mentioned the classic actors who are all now residing in that great big soundstage in the sky...

I confined my list to living actors...it would definitely be different if it listed actors who have passed away...someone mentioned Brando...I would have certainly included him...

So what about LIVING actresses?

I'll just start by saying that if you haven't seen Monica Bellucci's "foreign" flicks, don't count her out until you have...and I'm talking about her acting...not the fact that she is a sex goddess personified... :love1

crayons
03-26-2007, 03:40 AM
:D that´s really sad.... but it depends on the way you understand movies and their meaning for you. Some people watch it for fun ans for someone they´re passion. Most new movies are just crap and when I go to the cinema, I mostly watch retrospectives of older movies. Movies mean art to me not fun.

I'm sort of similar. I don't know a lot about films, but I like challenging films, or atleast films that are a little bit more serious. I can understand the mentality of just watching something fun and simple, but for me, even that has to be a little more engaging than something as shallow as the current hollywood shlock that seems to dominate the theatres. I actually love 80s b-movies a lot, but they're more interesting that the staple that even Taratino seems to go for.

sucka4chix
03-26-2007, 03:43 AM

See, now I did not think so at all. I thought that Grammy was a "biscuit" when in fact his role in Glory and Hurricaine were (in my opinion) where he really shined. I like him alot........LOVED him in that body guard movie where he watched the kid in Mexico. One of my favs for screen presence..........but not acting skills.

Denzel is excellent but he does have a limited range. Given the right role he's the best!! I too thought he was not believable in Training Day, not a good fit for him. And yeah he was great in Man on fire, (body guard movie), except for the drinking problem... he didn't really do that part very well.
I'm thinking you haven't seen alot of his work, I could be wrong. He did alot of good work for Spike Lee that gets overlooked.
BTW, Grammys are given for music.

sucka4chix
03-26-2007, 03:48 AM
I'm sort of similar. I don't know a lot about films, but I like challenging films, or atleast films that are a little bit more serious. I can understand the mentality of just watching something fun and simple, but for me, even that has to be a little more engaging than something as shallow as the current hollywood shlock that seems to dominate the theatres. I actually love 80s b-movies a lot, but they're more interesting that the staple that even Taratino seems to go for.

You mean like Toxic Avenger and Nukem High and all those Troma movies?
Maybe not the best, classically, but definitely the best to watch with a bunch of drunk friends!!!!!!

Coroner
03-26-2007, 04:06 AM

Honestly. Tarantino is too overrated. I don´t want to say his movies are crap, I like Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs and also Natural Born Killers and True Romance he co-writed but it should be mentioned that all his movies are nothing but puzzles of already existing movies. He has stolen so much scenes from well-unknown (B-)movies from America and East Asia. Check out Takeshi Kitano if you want to see original violent movies like Violent Cop, Boiling Point, Hana-Bi or Sonatine. No posing and bullshiting action but sick and violent :)

chefmike
03-26-2007, 04:25 AM

Now that's a bold statement...but other than stating the obvious...so you don't like the usual box-office hits nowadays, neither do I...most of the time...so what "classic" movies do you enjoy, slick?

Actually, it sounds as if you don't know anything about films, crayola...so drop the Rex Reed act, already.....

TheGuard
03-26-2007, 04:57 AM
Christian Bale
Denzel Washington
James Purefoy
Gerard Butler
James Gandolfini
Jack Nicholson
Steve McQueen
Robert Redford
Paul Newman
Leonadro DiCaprio

wombat33
03-26-2007, 05:27 AM

Denzel is excellent but he does have a limited range. Given the right role he's the best!! I too thought he was not believable in Training Day, not a good fit for him. And yeah he was great in Man on fire, (body guard movie), except for the drinking problem... he didn't really do that part very well.
I'm thinking you haven't seen alot of his work, I could be wrong. He did alot of good work for Spike Lee that gets overlooked.
BTW, Grammys are given for music.

Yes, I liked him in "He Got Game" with Ray Allen. He was good there. Agreed.