PDA

View Full Version : No third season for rome

Legend
03-23-2007, 04:51 PM
What's up with hbo canceling successful shows because of the budget,im afraid to start getting into a show without the fear of it getting canned.

The budget for George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire looks huge so i'm not even gonna get in it.

Deadwood,Carnivale,Arliss and now Rome i'm seriously thinking about ditching hbo

BTW series finale this sunday.

kukm4
03-24-2007, 09:37 AM
http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-romeendingafterseason2,0,5831913.story?coll=zap-tv-headlines

"HBO Chairman and CEO Chris Albrecht says that "Rome" was originally envisioned as a miniseries, but after seeing the quality of the first scripts the network and its partners (Italian broadcaster Rai was also involved) decided to go ahead with a full-blown show. However, after dealing with the logistics of shooting overseas and the high cost -- reports pegged the price tage for the first season at somewhere around $100 million -- HBO made the decision to pull the plug (the commitments of BBC and Rai were due to run out after the coming season as well).?

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
03-24-2007, 12:06 PM
while the series has been good, I personally think it's good to end the show this way. Sometimes companies go overboard with ideas and dull out a show....... i.e. Desperate Housewives, JAG, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, etc.

One other thing, this series failed in comparison to the true Rome mini-series originally shown for us in the states as I, Claudius. If you've never seen that you have no idea what you're missing.

ILuvGurls
03-24-2007, 02:36 PM
thought i saw an ad for Deadwood last week, is it not coming back this year?

really the only reason i kept HBO was for Sopranos and Deadwood.

BrendaQG
03-24-2007, 04:14 PM
I personally would settle for having them dramatize some other period of classical history. Like how about a dramatizeation of the last days of the Byzantine Empire? You know close the loop by showing the real final end of the Greco-Roman civilizeation (as a political force) with the final fall of Constaniople to the armies of the Turks. From what I have read there was just as much back room dealing and dramatism there. I could think of others.

Do em cheaper, less money on sets, unknown( but good actors) and good scripts can take the place of much of the flashy stuff that made it cost 100 million to make ROME.

chefmike
03-24-2007, 11:17 PM
while the series has been good, I personally think it's good to end the show this way. Sometimes companies go overboard with ideas and dull out a show....... i.e. Desperate Housewives, JAG, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, etc.

One other thing, this series failed in comparison to the true Rome mini-series originally shown for us in the states as I, Claudius. If you've never seen that you have no idea what you're missing.

I want to watch 'I, Claudius' again...I'm going to look for it next time that I'm in the vid store...and as for HBO...there's supposed to be a Deadwood movie, the last that I heard...

But I'm looking forward to the next "Big Love" season...even though that seems to be the minority opinion amongst HBO watchers on this forum, and where I work...

I just can't get enough of those wild and crazy Mormons...go figure...