PDA

View Full Version : science fiction

dreamer
03-21-2007, 01:05 AM
you think the movie I, ROBOT was maybe in a way --a prequal to THE TERMINATOR?

Coroner
03-21-2007, 01:28 AM
the SF literature has been before the movies and most of the movies base on the books

Nocturnal
03-21-2007, 01:32 AM
you think the movie I, ROBOT was maybe in a way --a prequal to THE TERMINATOR?

I dont think so, different paths and backgrounds, one comes from Asimov's short tales collection, and not sure about Terminator, was it a book or just a cinema screenplay?

dreamer
03-21-2007, 01:46 AM
oh wow --Milan Italy ---dude --THE TERMINAYOR was a huge movie over here ---had to do with nachines overpopulating --and in turn --extinguishing mankind ----fucked up ----and just earlier --I watched I ROBOT for the first time ----aaaaand I ROBOT was obviously in the future ---as was/is TERMINATOR -----I dunno ----maybe if you were to see them both ---you'd maaaaaybe see a ........I dunno ----

Ecstatic
03-21-2007, 01:48 AM
I Robot was an entertaining movie, but it had about as much to do with Asimov's classic short story collection as Millenium Falcon does with Shakespeare's The Tempest (as opposed to Forbidden Planet, which was based on The Tempest).

desu
03-21-2007, 02:10 AM
speaking of science fiction larry wachowski of matrix fame is transforming himself into a TS.

http://growabrain.typepad.com/growabrain/images/larry_wachowski.gif

blackmagic
03-21-2007, 05:38 AM
speaking of science fiction larry wachowski of matrix fame is transforming himself into a TS.

http://growabrain.typepad.com/growabrain/images/larry_wachowski.gif

:shock: :shock: :shock: http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Surprise/surprised-038.gif

Bigguy
03-21-2007, 05:42 AM
I love Forbidden Planet. "Monsters! Monsters from the id!"

I wonder if they will ever remake that one being it is over 50 years old now. There was some talk about it a while back, don't know what ever happened with it.

And to keep on topic, the two stories are different and it wouldn't fit as a prequel.

blackmagic
03-21-2007, 06:26 AM
The Chronicles of Riddick, fav sci fi

IT, worst sci fi, gave me nightmares for 3 fucking years!!

stillies77
03-21-2007, 06:35 AM
Different authors and such...Asimov did I Robot and Terminator was originally imspider by Philip K Dick who is also known for Minority Report, Total Recall etc...i loved both movies though.

Felicia Katt
03-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Thats not Larry, thats his GF/dominatrix Ilsa Strix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilsa_Strix

To my information, there are no pics of how Larry looks now. There was a really interesting article about Larry and Ilsa and all those in their orbit in Rolling Stone Magazine
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/9138137/the_mystery_of_larry_wachowski/print

A little piece of trivia. Ilsa's ex was Buck Angel. He and some other names familiar to HA are part of the story.

FK

blackmagic
03-21-2007, 07:16 AM
This movie spooked me out. THX 1138. Is this the future???

LOL i need to see that movie along with A Space Odyssey, i hear there pretty good?????????????

ezed
03-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Favorite sci-fi story - Harland Ellison's "I have No Mouth and I Must Scream"

francisfkudrow
03-21-2007, 07:31 AM
I don't know about a relationship between I, Robot and The Terminator, but I've always thought that I, Robot could be a prequel to The Matrix (Authorship aside--just as far as the plotlines go).

But my favorite sci-fi series of all time is Dune. And when you think about it, Paul Atreides from Dune is kind of a transgendered person himself, being the only male to ever survive drinking the poisonous Water of Life, giving him the ability to share the memories of those (all female) who drank the Water of Life before him.

gummi baer
03-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Are you asking if the future history of the world is based on our common past leading up to the present? Or simply something like if what we learned in first grade leads us into the ablility to write comprehensible sentences? Or the specific literary rip-off.

Ecstatic
03-21-2007, 04:36 PM
I love Forbidden Planet. "Monsters! Monsters from the id!"

I wonder if they will ever remake that one being it is over 50 years old now. There was some talk about it a while back, don't know what ever happened with it.

And to keep on topic, the two stories are different and it wouldn't fit as a prequel.
I heard rumors about a remake, too. 50 years ago, that movie was the peak of special effects, all handled by Disney Studios who were the Industrial Light and Magic of the time. The scenes of the monster from the id attacking the forcefield protecting the spaceship were impressive. And Leslie Nielson! What more could you ask for?

Caleigh
03-21-2007, 05:08 PM
There are so many good science fiction authors and in such
a huge range of style that I think comparison is hard. But
some of my favourites

Harlan Ellison - Deathbird Stories
Larry Niven - Ringworld
Michael Moorcock - The Cornelius Chronicles
Stanislaw Lem - Solaris