PDA

View Full Version : Hundreds Line Up for Sheep Testicles

chefmike
03-20-2007, 09:23 PM
I once tried "mountain oysters" at a raucous event billed as a "Hunters Feast", and the buffet featured everything from squirrel to snake to lion...but I'm not sure if I was eating sheep, bull, or what kind of fried testicles...as I've heard them all referred to as "mountain oysters"...anyway, no shit...I recall them tasting like chicken... fried chicken livers actually... :lol:

Hundreds Line Up for Sheep Testicles

Monday, March 19, 2007
VIRGINIA CITY, Nev. - Hundreds of people waited in lines for up to an hour for a chance to taste something different at the 16th annual Mountain Oyster Fry.

Servers at five booths dispensed about 130 pounds of "fried oysters," or sheep testicles, at the Saturday event in this historic mining town about 25 miles southeast of Reno.

Visitors gave mixed reviews to the tiny morsels, which can be fried, barbecued, stuffed, or ground up and sauteed.

"People think, `Oh sheep testicles, gross,' but it was pretty good," said Amanda Palmer, 21, of nearby Carson City.

Among other things, the versatile meat has been used in tacos and sloppy Joes.

"We try to get families from all over to try them, but they're all `nuh-uh,'" said Shauna Reese, 32, of Reno. "It's just another tender meat."

---

DJ_Asia
03-20-2007, 09:36 PM
sheep testicles...the "original steroid" legend has it that competitors in the first olympics used to eat them to boost their own levels of testosterone prior to competing.

peggygee
03-20-2007, 09:37 PM
'That's baaad'.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/lamb73x2.jpg

chefmike
03-20-2007, 09:39 PM
You gotta admit that it makes for a kinda catchy topic title...

chefmike
03-21-2007, 12:09 AM
I have a strong suspicion that if I had titled this thread 'hundreds line up for testicles' that it would have a coupla thousand more hits... :roll:

SarahG
03-21-2007, 10:12 AM
This reminds me of a bar that one of my relatives were telling me about a few years ago.

Its just a normal bar-restaurant type place but once a year they have a testicle oriented day when they serve all kinds of animal testicles, cooked/prepared all kinds of ways, with tshirts and stuff to advertise it.

Balcanoid
03-21-2007, 10:33 AM

Aragon21
03-21-2007, 10:48 AM
This is what goes down in my current locale.

Town keeps ball rolling on Turkey Testicle fest

By Associated Press

FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla. -- Organizers of fourth annual Turkey Testicle Festival can keep their name, despite concerns about the propriety of the word and the island's sensibilities.

The Fort Myers Beach Council voted 4-1 Monday to allow the Surf Club bar to use the Turkey Testicle Festival name after a laugh-out-loud discussion, according to the News-Press.

Councilman Charles Meador said the festival has a three-year history. He added that more than 12 other cities host annual events that include the word testicle.

"Who cares what the name is," Mayor Dennis Boback said. "Money is going for a worthy cause."

The festival has raised about $3,000 for the Harry Chapin Food Bank in each of its past three years. A change in policy that requires the town council to approve special events brought the issue of the name to the table two weeks ago.

LG
03-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Actually, sheep's bollocks taste better than you might think. I've had them chargrilled once with sea salt, lime and lemon.

ezed
03-22-2007, 04:03 AM
Actually, sheep's bollocks taste better than you might think. I've had them chargrilled once with sea salt, lime and lemon.

Did they taste like chicken? :?:

ezed
03-22-2007, 04:10 AM
I had frog legs and rattlesnake and they taste like chicken. If you go back to Dr. Evil can I have the frog legs?