PDA

View Full Version : My dinner tonight

Vicki Richter
03-18-2007, 09:11 PM
I am going to make spaghetti with burnt butter sauce, a little grated cheese... yummy. I am such a good cook I don't even know what to do with myself sometimes.

SarahG
03-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Its a good thing the guy I am with can cook, because I sure as hell can't.

My friends joke that I could start the "colunary institute of burnt foods."

Vicki Richter
03-18-2007, 09:18 PM

Maybe you should try cooking burnt butter sauce. You have to intentionally burn it.

SarahG
03-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Sounds like a worthy expirement.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
03-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Tonight I'll be burning a t-bone steak and siding it with long grain wild rice and collard greens, if i feel the need I might hit up cheesecake factory for some oreo cheesecake for dessert.....................

pairodoxxx
03-18-2007, 09:29 PM

Maybe you should try cooking burnt butter sauce. You have to intentionally burn it.

If you aren't a good cook, if you intentionally try to burn it, couldn't you scald it?

Kabuki
03-18-2007, 09:29 PM
I am going to make spaghetti with burnt butter sauce, a little grated cheese... yummy. I am such a good cook I don't even know what to do with myself sometimes.

I see you're having a Kelly moment :wink: So, what's your specialty dish?

LG
03-18-2007, 09:32 PM

Sounds delicious Vicki. I've never made that.

I'm probably not cooking anything fancy tonight, but I did make risotto this week. I make a damn good lasagna and can also cook a few other things- Asian, Franch, Italian, Belgian food, you name it. I'd love to cook sometime with you. Then we could eat each other's meals and much, much more.

Okay, now you got me hungry and horny.

:D

LG
03-18-2007, 09:35 PM
I see you're having a Kelly moment
:)
The occasional Kelly moment can be fun. I like to have 'em too sometimes. but I couldn't keep it up all day (no pun intended, so stop laughing- that's not what I mean!)

SarahG
03-18-2007, 09:40 PM

If you aren't a good cook, if you intentionally try to burn it, couldn't you scald it?

Uhoh, didnt think of that.

Odelay
03-18-2007, 09:43 PM

So in other words... there's more than one thing to put in your mouth when you're a guest at Vicki's place. :twisted:

MrsKellyPierce
03-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Awe I'm glad you are having a real conversation besides some poll or rights activism..I would of never guessed you cooked. Thats so awesome.

eggbert
03-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Kabuki, I laughed when I read your comment about having a "Kelly moment". I thought the same thing when I read this thread. Anyway, I've never had browned butter sauce so I googled it and came up with the following recipe. Sounds good & I think I'll give it a try.

Directions:

There is a terrific dish served by The Old Spaghetti Factory chain, called Spaghetti with Browned Butter,. It is served topped with shredded Mizithra cheese (a Greek hard cheese). If mizithra is not available (I am able to easily locate it St. Louis at cheese shops and some supermarkets), a blend of ricotta salata and romano is suggested

Browned Butter Procedure: Cut 2 sticks of butter into 8 pieces and place in a 2-quart sauce pan. Place the pan of butter on a burner on medium heat. Bring butter to a slow boil (about 5 minutes).

Once the butter begins to boil, stir constantly to prevent residue from sticking to the bottom of the pan. As the butter cooks, it will start to foam and rise. Continue stirring, otherwise the butter foam could overflow (about 5 minutes) and catch fire.

Once the butter stops foaming and rising, cook until amber in color (about 1 to 2 minutes). It will have a pleasant caramel aroma.

Turn off the heat and remove pan from burner. Let the sediment settle to the bottom of the pan for a few minutes.

Pour the brown butter through a strainer into a small bowl. Do not disturb the residue at the bottom of the pan.

The brown butter can be stored in the refrigerator and reheated in a microwave as needed.

Boil the pasta of choice until Al Dente. Drain pasta and divide into four servings. Spread 1/4 cup of Mizithra over each pasta serving. Top with 1/4 cup of hot brown butter.

This recipe for Old Spaghetti Factory's Spaghetti with Burnt Butter serves/makes 4

ILuvGurls
03-18-2007, 09:49 PM

do i detect just a little.........

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g14/duke1948/Emoctions/sarcasm.gif

peggygee
03-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Tonight I'll be burning a t-bone steak and siding it with long grain wild rice and collard greens, if i feel the need I might hit up cheesecake factory for some oreo cheesecake for dessert.....................

Thanks for the idea. i think I will go with steak, collard greens, and since
I have 10 pounds of potatoes, I'll make mashed potatoes.

I had butter in the freezer, tastes like freezer burn, I may have to burn
it to make it taste decent.

rvince
03-18-2007, 11:22 PM
burnt butter sauce?
do you have a link to the recipe?

Quinn
03-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Something my wife introduced me to for pasta dishes:

locatelli Romano.

It's fantastic.

-Quinn

elo
03-18-2007, 11:32 PM
I am going to make spaghetti with burnt butter sauce, a little grated cheese... yummy. I am such a good cook I don't even know what to do with myself sometimes.I don´t care about your cooking skills when i can have you for dessert,Vicki. :wink: :P

Felicia Katt
03-19-2007, 12:29 AM
finally, a thread about limp noodles :)

meow

FK

crayons
03-19-2007, 12:36 AM
I like how JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel's signature is a compilation of sexual images. It sort of adds a French feel to this thread about dinner.

MrsKellyPierce
03-19-2007, 01:07 AM
I am making baked Lemon Pepper Chicken breast, which is almost done. Homemade potatoes with lots of butter, and corn on the cob. With some Tea :P just thought I'd share what I'm cooking.

How I bake my chicken breast ..is put it in a glass baking tray fill it half way full with water..then add the seasoning to the water and on top of the chicken that's frontside up. Then After about 20 minutes I turn it over and seasont that side. About 40 to 50 minutes later. You have nice juicy chicken breast.

Vicki Richter
03-19-2007, 01:28 AM
Hijacker. Start your own thread about cooking. Lemon chicken is a totally unrelated topic. This is about starches, not poultry.

elo
03-19-2007, 01:29 AM
Hijacker. Start your own thread about cooking. Lemon chicken is a totally unrelated topic. This is about starches, not poultry.Catfight,catfight! :lol:

MrsKellyPierce
03-19-2007, 01:29 AM
Hijacker. Start your own thread about cooking. Lemon chicken is a totally unrelated topic. This is about starches, not poultry. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but chicken breast goes well with spaghetti :P

LG
03-19-2007, 01:35 AM

Sounds delicious Vicki. I've never made that.

I'm probably not cooking anything fancy tonight, but I did make risotto this week.

Had dinner a few hours ago (hey, it's midnight here!). Spaghetti tossed with a spoonful tomato sauce (just tomato paste, olive oil, herbs and spices), chopped black olives, diced onion and a touch of garlic. Grated a little hard cheese on top. Simple but nice.

Tomorrow I'll probably have a curry, though. Bhuna is a favourite, washed down with some ice cold beer.

chefmike
03-19-2007, 01:59 AM
All lemon-pepper(culinary sodomy) chatter aside...

Brown butter with with pasta sounds interesting, Vicki...but I'd have to throw some seafood into the mix and omit the grated cheese(due to the seafood)...

But I've been craving pasta this weekend...and I'm really feeling like something hearty...maybe Linguini Bolognese... even better since a new episode of Rome will be on shortly...

And yet I wanna take it to a retro-diner-comfort kind of dish...so I think I'm gonna to finish it as a baked pasta...I'm just saying... :wink:

chefmike
03-19-2007, 02:10 AM

Thanks for the idea. i think I will go with steak, collard greens, and since
I have 10 pounds of potatoes, I'll make mashed potatoes.

I had butter in the freezer, tastes like freezer burn, I may have to burn
it to make it taste decent.

Why do ya'll keep talkin about steak and collard greens?

What about the ribs?

And the cornbread?

And you had best not leave out the black-eyed peas!

phxguy
03-19-2007, 02:13 AM
Vicki, why with burnt butter sauce? Does it make the spaghetti taste better?

tg4me
03-19-2007, 02:36 AM
all this talk about chicken and pasta has left me in a fowl mood.

Ecstatic
03-19-2007, 02:45 AM

meow

FK
The reason Felicia gets my vote for top HA comic.... :!:

Brown butter with with pasta sounds interesting, Vicki...but I'd have to throw some seafood into the mix and omit the grated cheese(due to the seafood)...
For seafood in brown butter over linguini, you could stir in a little lemon or white wine and capers. Or add toasted walnuts and fresh sage and serve over pumpkin or sweet potato gnocci or butternut squash ravioli.

chefmike
03-19-2007, 03:00 AM

meow

FK
The reason Felicia gets my vote for top HA comic.... :!:

For seafood in brown butter over linguini, you could stir in a little lemon or white wine and capers. Or add toasted walnuts and fresh sage and serve over pumpkin or sweet potato gnocci or butternut squash ravioli.

Agreed, gotta go with the capers...and not to patronize you, but that's quite the palate you have(not that you need me to tell you)... do you also make your own gnocchi?

Great chefs are born, not made...bravo!

Ecstatic
03-19-2007, 03:11 AM
Agreed, gotta go with the capers...and not to patronize you, but that's quite the palate you have(not that you need me to tell you)... do you also make your own gnocchi?

Thanks, and likewise. I've tried to make my own gnocchi, but I've never done terribly well at it. Maybe I'm hypercritical, as my brother-in-law, who is both Italian and a fine cook, does and I've never been able to equal his. But if you have a good recipie--!

LG
03-19-2007, 03:21 AM

Thanks, and likewise. I've tried to make my own gnocchi, but I've never done terribly well at it. Maybe I'm hypercritical, as my brother-in-law, who is both Italian and a fine cook, does and I've never been able to equal his. But if you have a good recipie--!

I've seen some on the net. I can't imagine it would be that difficult, but I haven't made gnocchi yet. But I have made ravioli once.

I've also made Asian dumplings, but unlike with the ravioli, I used ready made dumpling pastry for that. As for capers, I like them in my puttanesca and some pasta sauces, but I'll go with a quote (by Nora Ephron, I think) that says:
Some people pretend to like capers, but the truth is that any dish that tastes good with capers in it, tastes even better with capers not in it.

Ecstatic
03-19-2007, 05:42 AM
I've seen some on the net. I can't imagine it would be that difficult, but I haven't made gnocchi yet. But I have made ravioli once.

I've also made Asian dumplings, but unlike with the ravioli, I used ready made dumpling pastry for that. As for capers, I like them in my puttanesca and some pasta sauces, but I'll go with a quote (by Nora Ephron, I think) that says:
Some people pretend to like capers, but the truth is that any dish that tastes good with capers in it, tastes even better with capers not in it.
What I've never gotten down is the texture of gnocchi, but maybe it's time I tried again. I love making Asian dumplings; I was first taught the Tibetan variety by a Tibetan Buddhist monk (who also tried to convince me that the best way to prepare tea is to add butter [a substitute for yak cream], but no thank you. The dumplings were good, though.

Quinn
03-19-2007, 05:58 AM
I just can't believe no one responded to my riveting endorsement of Locatelli Romano (not parmesan). Seriously, what do you villainous bastards have against Locatelli anyway?

-Quinn

Felicia Katt
03-19-2007, 06:08 AM
I just can't believe no one responded to my riveting endorsement of Locatelli Romano (not parmesan). Seriously, what do you villainous bastards have against Locatelli anyway?

-Quinn

I thought Locatelli Romano was someone on the Soprano's. my bad! LOL

meow

FK

tonkatoy
03-19-2007, 06:12 AM
i ate a box of tagalongs.

mmmmmm girl scouts

Solitary Brother
03-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Hijacker. Start your own thread about cooking. Lemon chicken is a totally unrelated topic. This is about starches, not poultry.

Your getting funnier and funnier.......and quite the bitch too.
I LIKE IT!

Quinn
03-19-2007, 07:32 AM

-Quinn

I thought Locatelli Romano was someone on the Soprano's. my bad! LOL

meow

FK

:lol: Now that would be riveting.

-Quinn

skagator
03-19-2007, 06:12 PM

Vicki, I would cook for you anything you may desire. And if I can't cook it there is always take out.

RawNY
03-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Tonight I am making my favorite item dor dinner............reservations :wink:

latrix67
03-19-2007, 11:48 PM

I believe the French call it Beuree Noisette.
Sunday I scoffed a Pheasent Breast (shot by me :) ) with roast spuds,home made stuffing & gravy followed by Sherry Trifle. Special occasion my girls Birthday was on Tuesday. Followed by a bottle of wine,not too much booze as we were still suffering from Paddies day...

wombat33
03-20-2007, 05:04 AM

Have you a good recipe for scallion pancakes????

ohioboy
03-20-2007, 05:12 AM
I love cooking...its not difficult, all you have to do is show alittle interest in what your doing...cook with love as they say.

chefmike
03-20-2007, 05:33 AM
I love cooking...its not difficult, all you have to do is show alittle interest in what your doing...cook with love as they say.

I bet you make a great a great hot dog.... :roll:

ohioboy
03-20-2007, 05:50 AM
DAYUM!! did you just come up with that???!!

chefmike
03-20-2007, 06:04 AM
DAYUM!! did you just come up with that???!!

Rumor also has it that your microwave popcorn is to die for, tardboy...

the Adrienne Barbeaubot
03-20-2007, 06:27 AM
I had orzo with meat and sauce,salad on the side, and bread to soak up the sauce. MMMM...MMMM...DEEEEEEEEEELICIOUS!

lisaparadise
03-20-2007, 04:33 PM
I am going to make spaghetti with burnt butter sauce, a little grated cheese... yummy. I am such a good cook I don't even know what to do with myself sometimes.omg thats my favorite meal what times dinner chicky im cumin over

ottorocket
03-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Tonight i am planning Moroccan. K'seksoo Beïdaoui (Couscous Casablanca style), and Chicken B'stilla accompanied by a large fresh salad and Sorbet i made ahead of time. Yum!

Lick UR Lovely
07-13-2008, 03:50 AM
I'd marry a girl that could COOK! LOL Tonight I'm eating frozen Stouffers stuffed bell peppers and brussel sprouts... :cry:

stevenb43
07-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Vicki, you can cook for me anytime.....