03-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Barbaric.

:x

Caleigh
03-18-2007, 09:36 AM
it makes me cry sometimes, literally

Aragon21
03-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Not to sound self-righteous, but having a degree in Anthropology, I recognize this behavior in all societies.

Most Americans want to call the suicide bomber a fanatic, but did we all not cheer when Randy Quaid "sacrificed" himself in "Independence Day"? I could go on and on about us cheering for the self-sacrificing hero/heroine in Hollywood movies. Hell, we all use a negative term derived directly from 1 such "hero"...."guy", after Guy Fawkes, an unsuccessful revolutionist in British history.

Time to look at the cause for the behavior and not look at the behavior. I add, that last night they had a Foxnews program, about the indoctrination of children in Palestian and the Middle East in general,...recognize that all of us have been indoctrinated too. Would anyone be here if they were not fighting that indoctrination? If you don't want to be judged, don't judge others...ask why...you already dismissed why not!

Kriss
03-18-2007, 07:57 PM
...recognize that all of us have been indoctrinated too. Would anyone be here if they were not fighting that indoctrination?

:rock2

blackmagic
03-18-2007, 09:08 PM
How could man do this to ourselves?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070318/ap_on_re_as/thailand_southern_violence

why where we so stupid to invent religions in the first place :smh

Vicki Richter
03-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Even a suicide bomber who thinks he's right shouldn't want to take out children. That's not right. Nobody is going to get behind people who kill children and they should realize this. Crack heads.

You know, it is easy to blame religion for everything bad. But it has been responsible for a lot of good too. The problem is Muslims think they get 40 virgins for all eternity when they kill themselves. Someone fucked up the translation.

Even mormons think there are magic specticals and they get to be a god of their own world when they die. They don't want people to know about the kooky parts of their religion when they are baiting you in.

DJ_Asia
03-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Americans dont often hear about the Muslim insurgency in southern Thailand,prolly cuz it hasnt directly affected westerners too much yet.However living there we hear about it daily...bombings,shootings etc...all involving Muslims vs. Buddhists.Same old story..muslims want their own territory,government and resort to violence to get their point across.

IMO it takes a pretty fucked up strain of folks to get violent on your garden variety Buddhist.

demmie
03-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Islam is generally a peaceful religion. It states that you can't kill unless it's a punishment, or if it's self-defense.

But come on, even Christianity has it's bad parts, the KKK, Aryan Brotherhood.

They both consider themselves "holy" and "godly", although they kill those who aren't white protestants.

The religions you don't hear about so often are Bahai'i and Aboriginal and other, secluded and unpopular religions.

So a guy took out a few kids, that's nothing compared to the total number of children killed from stray fire or missed shots. Which have been fired by both American troops and Insurgents.

It's war. What do you want, a cake and a Sorry card?!

Aragon21
03-19-2007, 10:31 PM
The problem is Muslims think they get 40 virgins for all eternity when they kill themselves. Someone fucked up the translation.

Math time! Okay average 20 minutes a shag times 40 virgins. Calculating, re-calculating. Got it!

I would have 40 virgins for 800 minutes or 13 hours 20 minutes. Hardly an "eternity" but I can't think of a better way to spend the day. :wink:

biguy4tvtscd
03-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Islam is generally a peaceful religion.

Bullshit. Ask any Mulsim woman just how peaceful Islam is. Once her husband stops beating the shit out of her, she might tell you (then again, she might not, for fear of another beating)

Don't believe me? Read "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, that oughta open your eyes.

Oh, and before anyone can start, I'm not saying this in a "let's compare Islam with other religions" sort of way. I'm not claiming any other religion is peaceful as compared to Islam. IMHO, they're all a bunch of crap, not one can claim moral superiority over one another.

DJ_Asia
03-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Islam is generally a peaceful religion. It states that you can't kill unless it's a punishment, or if it's self-defense.

But come on, even Christianity has it's bad parts, the KKK, Aryan Brotherhood.

They both consider themselves "holy" and "godly", although they kill those who aren't white protestants.

The religions you don't hear about so often are Bahai'i and Aboriginal and other, secluded and unpopular religions.

So a guy took out a few kids, that's nothing compared to the total number of children killed from stray fire or missed shots. Which have been fired by both American troops and Insurgents.

It's war. What do you want, a cake and a Sorry card?!

Christianity and its various off shoots have all killed millions throughout the years in the name of Jesus.

Muslims while i keep hearing how peaceful they are seem to enjoy blowing shit up and taking as many pale faces with them as often as possible.

Buddhists...hmmm..couldnt ask for a more passive peace loving people so i really have a tough time with the whole peaceful Muslim thing

suckseed
03-19-2007, 11:05 PM
I don't care to promote generalizations against any group of people. Interestingly, though, I can't say I've ever met a muslim to my knowledge.
IF, however, any group really believes that women are evil/inferior/must be suppressed, then in my opinion, their culture is backward. Honestly, someone should tell me what is so great about the muslim faith. Because it just seems like one of the more primitive and oppressive bad apples in a barrel of increasingly rotten ones. 'Imagine no religion, it's easy if you try, nothing to kill or die for, above us only sky.'
I read recently words to the effect of, if God exists, he has little mercy.
I remember reading that a girl who had just been nearly drowned in the tsunami was raped by the first man to find her. Such stories fill me with rage.I guess Bruce Cockburn's song sums it up for me.

Here comes the helicopter -- second time today
Everybody scatters and hopes it goes away
How many kids they've murdered only God can say
If I had a rocket launcher...I'd make somebody pay

I don't believe in guarded borders and I don't believe in hate
I don't believe in generals or their stinking torture states
And when I talk with the survivors of things too sickening to relate
If I had a rocket launcher...I would retaliate

On the Rio Lacantun, one hundred thousand wait
To fall down from starvation -- or some less humane fate
Cry for guatemala, with a corpse in every gate
If I had a rocket launcher...I would not hesitate

I want to raise every voice -- at least I've got to try
Every time I think about it water rises to my eyes.
Situation desperate, echoes of the victims cry
If I had a rocket launcher...Some son of a bitch would die

Yes, yes....violence makes you become the thing you hate and all that.
But the fact is, we have the capability to take some countries right off the map. We're showing restraint so far. They'd better get their shit together, or they're going to be running out of virgins in the afterlife. And that's what I think of muslims killing Buddhists. Fuckers.

ohioboy
03-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Religion, and the origins of the meanings for it, have been corrupted by man and sin. It always has been, and always will be. They are all guilty of it.

In the Middle Ages, there was a thing called Swords and Bibles. Basically, you convert to Christianity, or you die.

Ecstatic
03-20-2007, 02:03 AM
Buddhists...hmmm..couldnt ask for a more passive peace loving people so i really have a tough time with the whole peaceful Muslim thing
While Buddhism is nominally a religion, in many ways it is anything but a religion. Buddhism is not truly atheistic in that it does not actively proclaim there is no god, but neither does it proclaim that there is one (or many): Buddha was silent on the matter of the existance god and all theological debate. Ending suffering and attaining the inner peace of nirvana were his goals. There is no sacred text (though there is a huge body of philosophical literature with highly respected works such as the Diamond Sutra) in anything like the same sense that the Torah, the Christian Bible, or the Koran are held to be sacred: one's own experience is the guiding light. While there are various schools of Buddhism, one can be a Buddhist (as I am) without adhering to any of them, and they all hold respect for others paramount. Wars have not been waged in Buddha's name, nor other cultures subdued in favor of Buddhist belief (in fact, Buddhism co-exists with other religions in many regions quite well, as in China and Japan).

The essence of Buddhism is held in the Four Noble Truths: there is suffering, there is a cause of suffering, there is a way to end suffering, and anyone can follow the path to end suffering. It is not passive, but rather it is full engagement with life and all sentient beings, in harmony.

demmie
03-20-2007, 02:35 AM
Well, what are you going to do, blame the Greeks for Zeus and the creation of religion?!

That's like with vegetarians, meat is murder. But it's still how people have lived and survived for thousands of years!!

I read somewhere that people wouldn't eat a certain type of meat because it has "the mind of a 14-year-old girl".

Face it, one death by one American and everyone in that countries' a sinner!!!

That's what the fuck we believe! Maybe if we had a reason, and hadn't taken THIER land in the 1940's, and hadn't pretty much left them in the desert, they wouldn't hate us!!!

Did you ever think of THAT?!!

Aragon21
03-20-2007, 04:05 AM
Well, what are you going to do, blame the Greeks for Zeus and the creation of religion?!

What? I hope you don't honestly believe the Greek culture created religion.

Recommended reading: Carus, Dr. Paul, "The History of the Devil and the Idea of Evil," 1900.

The work is a bit too enthnocentric leaning towards Christianity for my personal taste, but it is an excellent work in its own right when viewed as a turn of the century (19th becoming 20th) look at mankind, the devil, and the very concept of evil.

Clarification, I did not mean to suggest that I have a problem with Christianity, only being preached at in an academic book that is supposed to be a non-objective tool of examination.

ezed
03-20-2007, 06:44 AM
Religion is the number one killer on the planet earth. Isn't ironic, you devote yourself to them, you give them their tith, and when you're out of dough, they tell you, you can best servre your deity by sacrificing your life to protect the religion.

And the funny thing is the majority of the human race buy into the religion thing stepping up to the Brighams counter and picking one of their 52 flavors only to have their double scope handed to them and have their elbow slamed when they attempt to lick it.

I got to say the moslems take the cake with the virgin thing. Who the fuck would want 40? 50? 60? (what's the promise) virgins except a pimply face loser who's never had enough sexual experiences to know better. Notice there are no moslems over 30 years old who are sucide bombers. They know better. They say "No Deal", ask young Ackmed!

Not to pick on the muslims, the christians and the jews had the crusades and various multi-day wars respectivly.

The problem is we listen to all this shit without using the brains God gave you. God has his forehead in his hand shaking it from side to side saying, what a bunch of retards. But then he laughs, and says they'll get it someday. Recycle this batch with a natural disaster.

demmie
03-21-2007, 12:44 AM
Ezed, you pretty much summed it up. We distorted religion.

Pacman
03-21-2007, 12:51 AM
I don't think the problem is really with religion. The problem is leaders who pervert religion to get their followers to do whatever they want. How does Osama get all these suicide bombers to blow themselves up and yet he himself will not die for the cause? I wouldn't be surprised if he really didn't believe these suicide bombers are actually going to heaven, he just wants them to be his puppets.