PDA

View Full Version : Smoker sued for lighting up in her garden...................

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
03-16-2007, 01:07 PM
AKARP, Sweden, March 9 (UPI) -- A Swedish woman has been sued for smoking in her own garden.

Her neighbor in Akarp in southern Sweden, a lawyer, demands 15,000 kroner ($2,000) in damages for her previous smoking plus another 2,000 kroner ($280) every time she lights up in the future, The Local reported. She has received a district court summons to respond to his complaint.

"It makes me sad and angry," the 49-year-old single mom told Aftonbladet. "Should somebody else be able to control my life?"

The woman said she has already made concessions to her neighbor's dislike of cigarette smoke, including picking a spot to light up that is more than 20 feet from his property.

In court filings, the lawyer complains that he is hit with cigarette smoke every time he enters or leaves his house and has been unable to open his windows.

WHAT THE FUCK?!?

dgtlmstry
03-16-2007, 01:09 PM
It's about time.

Caleigh
03-16-2007, 02:52 PM
ok, i don't smoke, but that is taking things WAY too far

Jericho
03-16-2007, 03:43 PM
*That* is fukkin insane! :shock:

Ecstatic
03-16-2007, 03:50 PM
I agree, Caleigh. I don't smoke, and agree that smoking should be banned in public with the exception of bars or clubs catering to smokers, but one ought to be able to smoke in one's own garden!

Vala_TS
03-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Finally! Now before everyone jumps on me here. Smoking is BAD and I don't care what you say if it's your right to do it or not, it's NOT your right to bring to deaths of OTHERS around you. Secondhand smoke is just as bad if not worse for others. Seriously, they should just ban tobacco worldwide and run the plant extinct!!!

Vala,

Caleigh
03-16-2007, 04:14 PM
don't hold back now Vala

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
03-16-2007, 04:24 PM
I agree to an extent Vala

I mean if someone wants to grow stuff on their own land and slowly kill off what they're trying to grow with some of the harmful elements sometimes included in various brands of cigarettes, that's their business. I wonder what would happen if she was in her garden smoking a pipe............

TJT
03-16-2007, 04:26 PM
I smoke cigars in my backyard. Keeps the neighbors away.

trish
03-16-2007, 04:39 PM
mmmmmmmmm smoking is bad mmmmmm okay?

but jesus christ, will you deliver us from self-rightious evangelicals in all their disguises.

suckseed
03-16-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm not a smoker either - smoking killed my dad - but I've worked and played in bars all my life. I've never quite understood the secondhand smoke thing. Aren't the smokers getting first and secondhand smoke? And is there a thirdhand smoke? :shock:

Jericho
03-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Smoking is BAD and I don't care what you say if it's your right to do it or not, it's NOT your right to bring to deaths of OTHERS around you. Vala,

:roll:

Nocturnal
03-16-2007, 04:59 PM
funny

I hate cigarettes, but that man would be a real problem for me, thanx god I dont live there.

biguy4tvtscd
03-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Give me a fucking break.

As for those who want smoking banned outdoors, you do realize you probably inhale at least three or four times as many pollutants from car/truck exhaust as you walk down the street, right?

I used to laugh my ass off when I worked in NYC. People would frantically try to wave the thin wisp of smoke from my cigarette away from their faces. Meanwhile NYC buses were passing by belching out thick clouds of exhaust.

I'm not denying smoke is bad (though I thoroughly dispute the extent to which "secondhand smoke" is portrayed), but come on, let's get our priorities straight. If you're worried about airborn pollutants, let's talk about cars, trucks, factory smokestacks, residential chimneys, etc..., etc..., etc.. long before we consider the relatively minute amount of smoke coming off my tiny cigarette.

hondarobot
03-16-2007, 08:58 PM
What's going on in Sweden lately? Judging from two threads here, the Swedes arrested some woman for smoking outdoors, then Snoop Dog gets busted for being high. I wonder if he was smoking in the womans garden as well?

Maybe the cops just hate that garden. . .

Crazy Swedes, they didn't know how good they had things back when I was running the country, but that's another story entirely.

Vala_TS
03-16-2007, 09:00 PM
For one, the differences between exaust and tobacco smoke, tobacco smoke contains nicotine and other harmful chemicals, exaust is mostly CO2 which is less harmful than nicotine. Secondly, how many people get cancer from smog?

Vala,

xfiver
03-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Finally! Now before everyone jumps on me here. Smoking is BAD and I don't care what you say if it's your right to do it or not, it's NOT your right to bring to deaths of OTHERS around you. Secondhand smoke is just as bad if not worse for others. Seriously, they should just ban tobacco worldwide and run the plant extinct!!!

Vala,

you're just mad from that time you stuck a lit cigarrette up your ass. :P

Vala_TS
03-16-2007, 09:42 PM

Vala,

you're just mad from that time you stuck a lit cigarrette up your ass. :P

That never happened.

Vala,

biguy4tvtscd
03-16-2007, 10:06 PM
exaust is mostly CO2
Right. :roll:
CO2 is colorless. Exhaust is billowing black clouds. What do you think makes up the blackness? I can assure you it's not chocolate.

Secondly, how many people get cancer from smog?
I can't answer that, but then, will all the hype over secondhand smoke, I wonder how many scientists are actually researching it. I'm pretty confident that getting a research grant for "evil" tobacco smoke is a LOT easier than a research grant for banal ole smog.

Oh, and lastly, you mentioned that you think tobacco should be banned.
Given the "stunning" success of prohibition in America during the 1920's, how well do you think that ban would work?
Because, as we all know, once you ban tobacco, absolutely nobody is ever going to smoke it again. :roll:

TheBoogieman
03-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Alot more then CO2 coming out of auto exhaust.
Easier to blame somebody for having a smoke.
They don't mention cigarettes as the cause in this report. Sure would take alot of cigarettes.

Taken From....
http://www.net.org/proactive/newsroom/release.vtml?id=24514

The report follows up on a 1999 report by Representative Henry Waxman (D-LA) which found that the levels of ten toxic chemicals in LA air posed a cancer risk over 400 times greater than the level considered acceptable by the EPA.
The National Environmental Trust has updated Congressman Waxman's analysis with new data and taken it a step further to determine how much of that risk is concentrated in the early years. NET found:

The lifetime cancer risk accumulated by a child in his or her first year of life in Los Angeles is at least twice the average lifetime risk accumulated by an adult over a one-year period.
This means, in only two months a child born and living in Los Angeles will accumulate the lifetime acceptable cancer risk just by breathing.
By their first birthday they will be more than six times over the limit.
Even if the carcinogens in LA's air were cleaned up to the EPA's goal for lifetime acceptable cancer risk from air pollution, a child would still exceed that level by age four.
A person who moved to LA as an adult would exceed this acceptable level after seven years. This is because EPA's cancer risk goal does not take into account children's special vulnerability to air pollution and the cumulative effects of being exposed to several carcinogens at the same time.
Most of the additional cancer risk came from three chemicals: 1,3 butadiene, benzene, and formaldehyde.
The majority of emissions of the chemicals come from "mobile sources" such as cars, boats, and construction equipment.
"This report adds to the growing body of evidence over the link between serious illness and our air quality. To protect public health and limit health care costs, we should be developing policies that move us away from the use of fossil fuels and toward sustainable environmental practices," said Martha Dina Arguello, Environmental Health Coordinator of Physicians for Social Responsibility Los Angeles.

apocarm
03-17-2007, 04:00 AM

the Adrienne Barbeaubot
03-17-2007, 04:59 AM
Humankind is destroying the world with pollutants,wars,depletion of natural resources,and oil spills in our beautiful oceans.Not to mention the amount of habitat destruction and endangered species death,but I get shit for smoking a cigarette.Go figure.

tubgirl
03-17-2007, 05:21 AM
Humankind is destroying the world with pollutants,wars,depletion of natural resources,and oil spills in our beautiful oceans.Not to mention the amount of habitat destruction and endangered species death,but I get shit for smoking a cigarette.Go figure.

feel free to take yourself out of humankind then...

ezed
03-17-2007, 06:01 AM

Vala,

And throwing everything up you ass that isn't tied down isn't? Live and let live.

ezed
03-17-2007, 06:58 AM
WE HAVE EVOLVE INTO A SOCIETY OF PROTECTED PUSSY'S! In twenty years time we will have evolved into a society who has no immunity to anything. We are currently taking drugs to sleep, to get hard ons, to take the edge off, and to relieve every ache and pain know to man. The fucking country is turning into a bunch of politically correct sissy's. The majority of network news and cable media has evolved into a gossip columns.

Why the fuck do you want to live to be eighty or ninety. You ever go to a nursing home, it's a sorry existance. It makes you wanna smoke, drink, and eat all the shit people tell you not to so you don't end up in there. SECOND HAND SMOKE! GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK! The medical profession really don't know shit yet. You fail to realize that collectively, science is still primative. How may drugs lately have been recalled. OPPPSY!

My Generation -
-there were no child proof lids or cabinets
-we rode bikes and played hockey without helmets
-we hitchhiked to school and everywhere
-we had no seat belts or air bags
-we drank water from a garden hose
-sampled mud pies and worms
-we ate all sort of sugary shit and didn't get fat because we were always outside playing from morning till the street lights came on
-we built our own go- carts, and solved problems such as no brakes after we had to turn into the bushes to stop the damn thing.
-there was no internet, no cell phones, we knew people and went outside and found them face to face
-we were trusted with bb guns, and not many put their eye out.
-Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the teams.

Man, this society is turning into a bunch of prissy cunts (no slur on any gender, but its a word that attracts attention). No wonder that a bunch of bushy faced radicals with robes and no underpants can cause us such problems. We are flacid!

Live well die young, have a good looking corpse.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

lust4ts
03-17-2007, 07:09 AM
Humankind is destroying the world with pollutants

There is no real evidence to suggest that is true, just a manipulation of a few natural coincidences used as convenient scare tactics for various arterial motives.

marissaazts
03-17-2007, 07:28 AM
i cant stand the smell of cigs it makes me wretch, i live in a patio home and if on a nice night have the doors open if my neighbor lites up i can smell it inside my home and its discusting, it it wasnt allready to hot here to have the doors open at night id teach my dog to shit at the fence nearist to her home so when she goes out she can smell that ..........

olite71
03-17-2007, 09:17 AM
i cant stand the smell of cigs it makes me wretch, i live in a patio home and if on a nice night have the doors open if my neighbor lites up i can smell it inside my home and its discusting, it it wasnt allready to hot here to have the doors open at night id teach my dog to shit at the fence nearist to her home so when she goes out she can smell that ..........

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...Your public display of an intolerant attitude makes me wretch. It's okay to hate cigarettes and their smell but the bellyaching about this minor example here exposes you as an overofficous jerk.

As for the "second hand smoke" thing---there is no reliable research anywhere to prove what it might do.

To be sure, second hand smoke is annoying to people who don't like smoke--which is a lot of people--but jackasses like the author of this post are annoying too--but I don't want or advocate the banning of their jackasserie.

GroobySteven
03-17-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm forced to "slum" it in an apartment building until my house is build and if someone smokes on their lanai/balcony then it comes in my apartment and I don't particularly like it - but that's the choice for living in shoeboxes so deal with it. I smoke cigars and if I was to smoke one on the lanai then I'd hope others would do the same (deal with it) - I wouldn't be trying to blow it in their direction.

Vala_TS - aka the dude who posted here and then decided he was a she (good on ya) but who hasn't posted the most sensible comments since (and no hormones yet?) - who thinks smoking in gardens should be banned. Then so should fucking BBQ's!!! There are carcinogens in the charcoal we use and the lighters we use to spark it - and there is a lot more smoke coming from them.

It's just crazy ... what's next?

seanchai

Vala_TS
03-17-2007, 03:03 PM

Vala,

And throwing everything up you ass that isn't tied down isn't? Live and let live.

When I shove things up my ass, I'm not forcing people to watch, when they light one up, they're forcing ME to breathe it in unless I hold my breath for 2 or so minutes.

Vala,

LoadedRevolver66
03-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Why the fuck do you want to live to be eighty or ninety. You ever go to a nursing home, it's a sorry existance. It makes you wanna smoke, drink, and eat all the shit people tell you not to so you don't end up in there. SECOND HAND SMOKE! GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK! The medical profession really don't know shit yet. You fail to realize that collectively, science is still primative. How may drugs lately have been recalled. OPPPSY!

Co-sign!

wombat33
03-17-2007, 05:01 PM
AKARP, Sweden, March 9 (UPI) -- A Swedish woman has been sued for smoking in her own garden.

Her neighbor in Akarp in southern Sweden, a lawyer, demands 15,000 kroner ($2,000) in damages for her previous smoking plus another 2,000 kroner ($280) every time she lights up in the future, The Local reported. She has received a district court summons to respond to his complaint.

"It makes me sad and angry," the 49-year-old single mom told Aftonbladet. "Should somebody else be able to control my life?"

The woman said she has already made concessions to her neighbor's dislike of cigarette smoke, including picking a spot to light up that is more than 20 feet from his property.

In court filings, the lawyer complains that he is hit with cigarette smoke every time he enters or leaves his house and has been unable to open his windows.

WHAT THE FUCK?!?

GOOD.

marissaazts
03-17-2007, 05:37 PM
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...Your public display of an intolerant attitude makes me wretch. It's okay to hate cigarettes and their smell but the bellyaching about this minor example here exposes you as an overofficous jerk.

As for the "second hand smoke" thing---there is no reliable research anywhere to prove what it might do.

To be sure, second hand smoke is annoying to people who don't like smoke--which is a lot of people--but jackasses like the author of this post are annoying too--but I don't want or advocate the banning of their jackasserie.

kiss my lilly white ass

smokers like you have ruined you have ruined your own lands you wont ruin mine

i'd never date a guy who smokes they are just gross

MrsKellyPierce
03-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Johnny you are like David Letterman in a way of Hung Angel aren't you lol

trish
03-17-2007, 06:03 PM
In the summer I like to keep the doors and windows open, and I spend most of the day outside writing in my gazebo. I really hate it when the neighbors talk to each other. I mean really, can’t they use hand signals. Why do ya need to say “hello” and “how are ya” anyway? God, and one of my neighbors is always spitting. It’s fucking disgusting. HOOOWWAAACCK PTOOOOEEEY! And some of the neighbors got dogs that won’t stop barking. And their cat’s shit smells something awful. Yeah, and you’re right about that BBQ Sanchai, it’s sooo fucking distracting, especially when I’m hungry. Did I mention birds? Christ TWEET TWITTER TWEET. They live in my trees and don’t pay a fucking dime of rent. Of course that’s not as bad the drone of lawn mowers and rattling hum of air conditions, and screaming of motor cycles whizzing down the road. Noise pollution, air pollution, gum wrappers in the street…this world would be sooo much better off if there were only one of us…me.

the Adrienne Barbeaubot
03-18-2007, 02:12 AM
I totally agree with you ezed.Everyone's become a bunch of pussies.

the Adrienne Barbeaubot
03-18-2007, 02:13 AM
Tubgirl,we will all be removed from Humankind when we die. Nuff said.

Aragon21
03-18-2007, 02:36 AM
[i]AKARP, Sweden, March 9 (UPI) -- A Swedish woman has been sued for smoking in her own garden.

And some lawyers actually wonder why they have a bad reputation. :roll:

when they light one up, they're forcing ME to breathe it in unless I hold my breath for 2 or so minutes.

Takes me 5 minutes to smoke a cigarette. K, ready, lighting up in 3...2...1

apocarm
03-18-2007, 03:28 AM