PDA

View Full Version : New RUSH Song - "Far Cry"

bassman2546
03-16-2007, 01:26 AM
RUSH released their new single called "Far Cry" this past Monday. Probably the best song I've heard all year. It's heavy and smoking and puts this other crap I've been listening to all year to complete shame. It's so amazing that there are only three guys in this band.

Have a listen at:

www.rush.com

stillies77
03-16-2007, 01:28 AM
i heard it on the radio today it sounded like old school Rush...which is always kick ass haha...i love A Show of Hands

MrsKellyPierce
03-16-2007, 01:30 AM
pfft A Girl Called Jane - He's Alive is like ten hundred times better lol

P.S. I don't know who they are lol

bassman2546
03-16-2007, 01:31 AM

If you don't know who Rush is then how can you judge, man?

bassman2546
03-16-2007, 01:33 AM
i heard it on the radio today it sounded like old school Rush...which is always kick ass haha...i love A Show of Hands

Could call Stilles. A Show of Hands is one of my favorites too.

You should check out the DVD "Rush in Rio" Sixty-thousand screaming Brazilians. It's an amazing show.

MrsKellyPierce
03-16-2007, 01:42 AM

If you don't know who Rush is then how can you judge, man? It's called I was teasing ..."MAN" lol

olite71
03-16-2007, 06:10 AM

If you don't know who Rush is then how can you judge, man? It's called I was teasing ..."MAN" lol

Aren't you supposed to grow out of liking Rush by about tenth grade?

MrsKellyPierce
03-16-2007, 06:13 AM

Aren't you supposed to grow out of liking Rush by about tenth grade?I still don't know who they are lol

hardonjohn
03-16-2007, 06:21 AM
[/quote]Aren't you supposed to grow out of liking Rush by about tenth grade?[/quote]

Um, nno.

Respect the classics, man!

olite71
03-16-2007, 06:23 AM
Aren't you supposed to grow out of liking Rush by about tenth grade?[/quote]

Um, nno.

Respect the classics, man![/quote]

I do as evidenced by my original post.

Dino Velvet
03-16-2007, 08:54 AM
I still don't know who they are lol

Not sure what music you're into but Rush is some good old 70s classic rock. They're a 3 piece band consisting of Geddy Lee's loud ass Rickenbacker Bass and high pitched vocals, Alex Lifeson's surgically precise guitar work, and Neal Peart beating the drums like they owe him money.

Below are the videos of the new song Far Cry and my favorite piece of music by Rush, 2112. Also, I put a goofy video of Geddy Lee w/Bob & Doug McKenzie from The Great White North. If you have the patience to watch a long music video, watch 2112 first. Even if it is not the style of your liking, you would still have to admit that they are very talented.

Rush - Far Cry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-6SZZv91_w&mode=related&search=

Rush - 2112(Black & White Live 1976) Sounds Awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm08ZO9fZqw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_QJMYIRvRA&mode=related&search=

Geddy Lee w/Bob & Doug McKenzie - Take Off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot70G4wSQi0

Biography: Rush

Over the course of their decades-spanning career, the Canadian power trio Rush emerged as one of hard rock's most highly regarded bands; although typically brushed aside by critics and although rare recipients of mainstream pop radio airplay, the group nonetheless won an impressive and devoted fan following while their virtuoso performance skills solidified their standing as musicians' musicians.

Rush formed in Toronto, Ontario, in the autumn of 1968, and initially comprised guitarist Alex Lifeson (born Alexander Zivojinovich), vocalist/bassist Geddy Lee (born Gary Lee Weinrib), and drummer John Rutsey. In their primary incarnation, the trio drew a heavy influence from Cream, and honed their skills on the Toronto club circuit before issuing their debut single, a rendition of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away," in 1973. A self-titled LP followed in 1974, at which time Rutsey exited; he was replaced by drummer Neil Peart, who also assumed the role of the band's primary songwriter, composing the cerebral lyrics (influenced by works of science fiction and fantasy) that gradually became a hallmark of the group's aesthetic.

With Peart firmly ensconced, Rush returned in 1975 with a pair of LPs, Fly by Night and Caress of Steel. Their next effort, 1976's 2112, proved to be their breakthrough release: a futuristic concept album based on the writings of Ayn Rand, it fused the elements of the trio's sound -- Lee's high-pitched vocals, Peart's epic-length compositions, and Lifeson's complex guitar work -- into a unified whole. Fans loved it -- 2112 was the first in a long line of gold and platinum releases -- while critics dismissed it as overblown and pretentious: either way, it established a formula from which the band rarely deviated throughout the duration of their career.

A Farewell to Kings followed in 1977 and reached the Top 40 in both the U.S. and Britain. After 1978's Hemispheres, Rush achieved even greater popularity with 1980's Permanent Waves, a record marked by Peart's dramatic shift into shorter, less sprawling compositions; the single "The Spirit of Radio" even became a major hit. With 1981's Moving Pictures, the trio scored another hit of sorts with "Tom Sawyer," which garnered heavy exposure on album-oriented radio and became perhaps their best-known song. As the 1980s continued, Rush grew into a phenomenally popular live draw as albums like 1982's Signals (which generated the smash "New World Man"), 1984's Grace Under Pressure, and 1985's Power Windows continued to sell millions of copies.

As the decade drew to a close, the trio cut back on its touring schedule while hardcore followers complained of a sameness afflicting slicker, synth-driven efforts like 1987's Hold Your Fire and 1989's Presto. At the dawn of the 1990s, however, Rush returned to the heavier sound of their early records and placed a renewed emphasis on Lifeson's guitar heroics; consequently, both 1991's Roll the Bones and 1993's Counterparts reached the Top Three on the U.S. album charts. In 1996, the band issued Test for Echo and headed out on the road the following summer. Shortly thereafter, Peart lost his daughter in an automobile accident. Tragedy struck again in 1998 when Peart's wife succumbed to cancer. Dire times in the Rush camp did not cause the band to quit. Lee took time out for a solo stint with 2000's My Favorite Headache; however, rumors of the band playing in the studio began to circulate. It would be five years until anything surfaced from the band. Fans were reassured in early 2002 by news that Rush were recording new songs in Toronto. The fruit of those sessions led to the release of Rush's 17th studio album, Vapor Trails, later that spring. ~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide

biguy4tvtscd
03-16-2007, 09:12 AM

Not sure what music you're into but Rush is some good old 70s classic rock.

Not disparaging you, as I can see you're a fellow fan (love your avatar btw), but it bothers me that Rush is constantly labled as a "70's rock band".

True, they did start out in '74, but come on, they've released 25 platinum albums since then. The radio's never been a big fan of them (nor the worst music magazine ever printed..Rolling Stone), so most people don't know diddly beyond Tom Sawyer, Limelight, or Freewill.

Even some Rush fans I know can barely name a song beyond Grace Under Pressure. Really sad, because after their 80's experimentation with heavy keyboards and spare guitars (think Edge from U2), come the 90's they dove headfirst back into the power chord guitar driven sound from the early days. The albums Counterparts, Test for Echo, and Vapor Trails contain some very, VERY, good music, equally as good as anything previous.

Of course, being a hardcore Rush fan for the past 25 years, I might be a smidge biased. :roll:

Concerning the new single, it's not gripping me as hard as "One Little Victory" did when that was pre-released, but it's still very good. I'm really looking forward to picking up the new album come May 1st.

Dino Velvet
03-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Good point. I always think of them as a 70s band because that was my favorite era of Rush. I'm a big fan of everything up to and including the Moving Pictures album with Signals and Grace Under Pressure being pretty good.

You are probably as much of a Rush fan as I am a Sabbath fan. I always get mad at people when they run down the Born Again album that had Ian Gillan on vocals. I love that album. I even like much of the Tony Martin stuff and the Ray Gillen demo was great. Didn't mention Ozzy or Dio because everyone likes them.

biguy4tvtscd
03-16-2007, 09:50 AM
You are probably as much of a Rush fan as I am a Sabbath fan.

I may even be as much a Sabbath fan as well. :D

I'm usually looked at like I'm crazy, but I quite often state my belief that Sabbath was the premier hard rock / heavy metal band of the 70's, even better than the usual nominee...Led Zeppelin.

Admittedly, I don't know much of their material post Dio, but their albums with Ozzy are definitely among my all time faves. Hell, I even love Technical Ecstacy and hardly anyone knows that album.

Also, one of my favorite live albums is Ozzy's "Speak of the Devil", despite Ozzy being the only Sabbath member performing on it, I sorta consider it a Sabbath album, because, well, all the songs are Sabbath songs. :twisted:

peterdavies37
03-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Have to say I don't like the new stuff - last decent thing they did was POWER WINDOWS... everything after that was just weak I reckon - except for the cover of SUMMER TIME BLUES they did.

I prefer the early stuff - HEMISPHERES and all that.

I've a lot of RUSH stuff, but I won't be buying the new.

Dino Velvet
03-16-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm usually looked at like I'm crazy, but I quite often state my belief that Sabbath was the premier hard rock / heavy metal band of the 70's, even better than the usual nominee...Led Zeppelin.

I've had many fights with Zeppelin fans that Sabbath is the better band. It drives them nuts. When I was in High School, me and my stoner buddies would drive all over creation on the weekends blasting my LIVE EVIL cassette tape singing along to it like the losers we were. Good times.

Also, one of my favorite live albums is Ozzy's "Speak of the Devil", despite Ozzy being the only Sabbath member performing on it, I sorta consider it a Sabbath album, because, well, all the songs are Sabbath songs.

Man, I saw that show on MTV back in the 80's. It was after Randy Rhoads died. Night Ranger guitarist Brad "Don't Call Me Jamie" Gillis played and was pretty good. It was all old Sabbath stuff. I have the cd too and listen to it every now and again.

Hey, check this out. As I mentioned, I am a fan of the Ian Gillan Sabbath era. There is a lot of cool stuff here. You got the Trashed & Zero The Hero videos, some live stuff, and some interviews. Nobody rocks the Saddam mustache like Tony Iommi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx1RpF2HdIA

bassman2546
03-16-2007, 02:06 PM

Yeah, maybe I should move on to the Backstreet Boys. Gimme a break, dude. These guys are classic rock artists and one of the best at it. They are in their 50s and still kick ass way more than any band today. It beats the hell out of 99% of today's crap!

bassman2546
03-16-2007, 02:12 PM

Not sure what music you're into but Rush is some good old 70s classic rock. They're a 3 piece band consisting of Geddy Lee's loud ass Rickenbacker Bass and high pitched vocals, Alex Lifeson's surgically precise guitar work, and Neal Peart beating the drums like they owe him money.

Below are the videos of the new song Far Cry and my favorite piece of music by Rush, 2112. Also, I put a goofy video of Geddy Lee w/Bob & Doug McKenzie from The Great White North. If you have the patience to watch a long music video, watch 2112 first. Even if it is not the style of your liking, you would still have to admit that they are very talented.

Rush - Far Cry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-6SZZv91_w&mode=related&search=

Rush - 2112(Black & White Live 1976) Sounds Awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm08ZO9fZqw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_QJMYIRvRA&mode=related&search=

Geddy Lee w/Bob & Doug McKenzie - Take Off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot70G4wSQi0

Biography: Rush

Over the course of their decades-spanning career, the Canadian power trio Rush emerged as one of hard rock's most highly regarded bands; although typically brushed aside by critics and although rare recipients of mainstream pop radio airplay, the group nonetheless won an impressive and devoted fan following while their virtuoso performance skills solidified their standing as musicians' musicians.

Rush formed in Toronto, Ontario, in the autumn of 1968, and initially comprised guitarist Alex Lifeson (born Alexander Zivojinovich), vocalist/bassist Geddy Lee (born Gary Lee Weinrib), and drummer John Rutsey. In their primary incarnation, the trio drew a heavy influence from Cream, and honed their skills on the Toronto club circuit before issuing their debut single, a rendition of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away," in 1973. A self-titled LP followed in 1974, at which time Rutsey exited; he was replaced by drummer Neil Peart, who also assumed the role of the band's primary songwriter, composing the cerebral lyrics (influenced by works of science fiction and fantasy) that gradually became a hallmark of the group's aesthetic.

With Peart firmly ensconced, Rush returned in 1975 with a pair of LPs, Fly by Night and Caress of Steel. Their next effort, 1976's 2112, proved to be their breakthrough release: a futuristic concept album based on the writings of Ayn Rand, it fused the elements of the trio's sound -- Lee's high-pitched vocals, Peart's epic-length compositions, and Lifeson's complex guitar work -- into a unified whole. Fans loved it -- 2112 was the first in a long line of gold and platinum releases -- while critics dismissed it as overblown and pretentious: either way, it established a formula from which the band rarely deviated throughout the duration of their career.

A Farewell to Kings followed in 1977 and reached the Top 40 in both the U.S. and Britain. After 1978's Hemispheres, Rush achieved even greater popularity with 1980's Permanent Waves, a record marked by Peart's dramatic shift into shorter, less sprawling compositions; the single "The Spirit of Radio" even became a major hit. With 1981's Moving Pictures, the trio scored another hit of sorts with "Tom Sawyer," which garnered heavy exposure on album-oriented radio and became perhaps their best-known song. As the 1980s continued, Rush grew into a phenomenally popular live draw as albums like 1982's Signals (which generated the smash "New World Man"), 1984's Grace Under Pressure, and 1985's Power Windows continued to sell millions of copies.

As the decade drew to a close, the trio cut back on its touring schedule while hardcore followers complained of a sameness afflicting slicker, synth-driven efforts like 1987's Hold Your Fire and 1989's Presto. At the dawn of the 1990s, however, Rush returned to the heavier sound of their early records and placed a renewed emphasis on Lifeson's guitar heroics; consequently, both 1991's Roll the Bones and 1993's Counterparts reached the Top Three on the U.S. album charts. In 1996, the band issued Test for Echo and headed out on the road the following summer. Shortly thereafter, Peart lost his daughter in an automobile accident. Tragedy struck again in 1998 when Peart's wife succumbed to cancer. Dire times in the Rush camp did not cause the band to quit. Lee took time out for a solo stint with 2000's My Favorite Headache; however, rumors of the band playing in the studio began to circulate. It would be five years until anything surfaced from the band. Fans were reassured in early 2002 by news that Rush were recording new songs in Toronto. The fruit of those sessions led to the release of Rush's 17th studio album, Vapor Trails, later that spring. ~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide

Thanks for the wonderful links. I wonder why everytime I read a post from you I sound like Christopher Walken. The Far Cry link is actually not a video for the song. They are playing the song over the video intro they used for their R30 tour. It's kinda cool, though.

dreamer
03-16-2007, 03:15 PM
I can't believe you bastages talk about Sabbath ...........HERE ---and not on the Black Sabbath thread!!!

haven't heard the new Rush ---I dunno --I have Moving Pictures --and Fly By Night -----I like them both ---I'm not a fan --but they are indeed awesome ---

I love the Tony Martin era of Sabbath ----every single album ---and I even like Seventh Star a little --(minus Glenn Hughes) ---

what do you guys think of the new Sabbath song??? ---

Dino Velvet
03-16-2007, 10:07 PM
I can't believe you bastages talk about Sabbath ...........HERE ---and not on the Black Sabbath thread!!!

haven't heard the new Rush ---I dunno --I have Moving Pictures --and Fly By Night -----I like them both ---I'm not a fan --but they are indeed awesome ---

I love the Tony Martin era of Sabbath ----every single album ---and I even like Seventh Star a little --(minus Glenn Hughes) ---

what do you guys think of the new Sabbath song??? ---

I'm in there too.

If by new song you mean "The Devil Cried" I just heard it and it's real good. I will be buying their new album "Dio Years." I will go see the Dio included project "Heaven And Hell" but will probably pass on seeing Sabbath reuniting with Ozzy unless there is a miracle and hear that Ozzy is kicking some ass on the road. Dio might look like a cast member from The Golden Girls now but he has a Hell of a voice.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000NA77YO.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V42372486_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000NA77YO/ref=s9_asin_title_1/002-5404191-3385625?%5Fencoding=UTF8&pf%5Frd%5Ft=101&pf%5Frd%5Fm=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf%5Frd%5Fp=279667501&pf%5Frd%5Fs=center-1&pf%5Frd%5Fr=0K1XTKCT6SKNWP6S8EQX&pf%5Frd%5Fi=507846

stillies77
03-16-2007, 10:27 PM
I still love the song Mission by rush...one of my all-time favorites

chefmike
03-16-2007, 11:04 PM

Um, nno.

LMFAO ... Rush is a classic band?

Sure they are.

They're almost as classic as Bachman Turner Overdrive... :roll:

Dino Velvet
03-16-2007, 11:28 PM

Um, nno.

LMFAO ... Rush is a classic band?

Sure they are.

They're almost as classic as Bachman Turner Overdrive... :roll:

bassman2546
03-17-2007, 01:24 AM
I still love the song Mission by rush...one of my all-time favorites

Wow, I'm amazed. It's one of my favorites too. Probably the best lyrically from Neil. We seem to think along the same line, Stilles. You wanna...

"The Spirit with a vision is a dream with a Mission."

arc angel
03-17-2007, 01:31 AM
RUSH , is a great band.

chefmike
03-17-2007, 02:22 AM
Great musicians? Yes.

But great musicians and great bands are many times two different things, are they not?

Bottom line, if you dig their music then that's all that really matters, anyway. I just disagree with some of the opinions voiced about whatever musical legacy that they might leave. No offense intended to you Rush fans. Or to you Bachman Turner Overdrive fans...

olite71
03-17-2007, 09:28 AM
RUSH , is a great band.

And by that reasoning, YOU SIR ARE GOING TO BE THE NEXT RECIPIENT OF THE NOBEL PRIZE IN PHYSICS.

Rush is to music what peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are to cuisine.

SkyTwo
03-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Rush. :roll: Someone made a snide remark about outgrowing them in the tenth grade, but I've known more than one person who didn't ditch their Rush albums until their freshman year of college. I just want to be fair about the whole thing.

Those chumps are to music what architects are to art. They can be admired for their technical achievements and feats of engineering, and rightly so. But they're completely bereft of artistic talent. "Today's Tom Sawyer gets high on you?" That has to near the top of the cringe-inducing lyric list.

If I wanted technical brilliance, I'd grab some popcorn and watch a neurosurgeon. When I want art, I'll stick with art.

SkyTwo
03-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Great musicians? Yes.

But great musicians and great bands are many times two different things, are they not?

Bottom line, if you dig their music then that's all that really matters, anyway. I just disagree with some of the opinions voiced about whatever musical legacy that they might leave. No offense intended to you Rush fans. Or to you Bachman Turner Overdrive fans...

I'd suggest a gold star for that, but you've already got a pile of 'em. Just don't trash any of those other hopelessly pretentious yet culty groups like King Crimson or Jethro Tull. Otherwise you could stand to make a lot of enemies, apparently. Me? I'm all about Nazareth, dude! Whooooo!

chefmike
03-17-2007, 01:24 PM
RUSH , is a great band.

And by that reasoning, YOU SIR ARE GOING TO BE THE NEXT RECIPIENT OF THE NOBEL PRIZE IN PHYSICS.

Rush is to music what peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are to cuisine.

LMAO

bassman2546
03-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Rush. :roll: Someone made a snide remark about outgrowing them in the tenth grade, but I've known more than one person who didn't ditch their Rush albums until their freshman year of college. I just want to be fair about the whole thing.

Those chumps are to music what architects are to art. They can be admired for their technical achievements and feats of engineering, and rightly so. But they're completely bereft of artistic talent. "Today's Tom Sawyer gets high on you?" That has to near the top of the cringe-inducing lyric list.

If I wanted technical brilliance, I'd grab some popcorn and watch a neurosurgeon. When I want art, I'll stick with art.

I can understand if someone doesn't like the music of RUSH. I have no problem with that. I'm sure I would dislike the untalented primitive crap that you listen to. So we can see eye to eye in that respect.

But for someone to insinuate that they are "chumps" or remarking in some sort of way that they lack talent is purely unacceptable. Having one of Rock's most influential guitarist, the world greatest drummer and bass player and 25 platinum albums to your credit makes you great. It's plain and simple. Do I need to spell it out to you? What has Jethro Tull and King Crimson done lately? Tell me one other classic rock artist making good music today. Do I hear any new Pink Floyd? Zeppelin? ACDC? Thank God, no.

I rest my case.

chefmike
03-18-2007, 04:29 AM
What a crock of shit.

So the musicians who sell the most albums are all "great" artists?

Maybe some are...and others literally suck out loud...so does that mean that hacks like Rush and others on this list deserve to be included with artists who have actually inspired and influenced people with their music?

Fuck no.

Sometimes you gotta separate the trash from the treasure, slick... :roll:

List of artists with most gold, platinum and multi-platinum albums
These artists, listed alphabetically, have the most gold, platinum and multi-platinum albums. It should be noted that not all record companies request certification, and those that do not are not certified.

AC/DC (19G, 19P, 11M)
Aerosmith (25G, 18P, 12M)
Alabama (22G, 18P, 10M)
The Beach Boys (20G, 9P, 6M)
The Beatles (44G, 38P, 24M)
Garth Brooks (15G, 15P, 14M)
Jimmy Buffett (16G, 9P, 3M)
Johnny Cash (17G, 10P, 5M)
Chicago (22G, 18P, 8M)
Eric Clapton (23G, 12P, 8M)
John Denver (20G, 13P, 7M)
Neil Diamond (39G, 21P, 11M)
Madonna (17G, 17P, 12M)
The Doors (18G, 14P, 5M)
Bob Dylan (35G, 15P, 5M)
Grateful Dead (19G, 6P, 4M)
Jimi Hendrix (17G, 9P, 6M)
Isley Brothers (15G, 10P, 3M)
Alan Jackson (15G, 13P, 8M)
Jefferson Airplane (20G, 5P, 1M)
Jethro Tull (15G, 3P, 1M)
Billy Joel (18G, 17P, 12M)
Elton John (37G, 25P, 12M)
Kenny G (15G, 11P, 8M)
KISS (24G, 10P, 2M)
Led Zeppelin (18G, 17P, 13M)
Lynyrd Skynyrd (19G, 13P, 7M)
Barry Manilow (22G, 13P, 5M)
Mannheim Steamroller (17G, 7P, 4M)
Johnny Mathis (16G, 6P, 2M)
Reba McEntire (24G, 18P, 8M)
John Mellencamp (15G, 12P, 5M)
Anne Murray (15G, 5P, 2M)
Willie Nelson (22G, 16P, 7M)
Pink Floyd (18G, 15P, 12M)
Elvis Presley (97G, 55P, 26M)
Prince (23G, 16P, 7M)
Queen (18G, 11P, 6M)
Kenny Rogers (30G, 19P, 8M)
The Rolling Stones (42G, 27P, 11M)
Linda Ronstadt (17G, 13P, 7M)
Rush (23G, 14P, 3M)
Santana (20G, 10P, 7M)
Frank Sinatra (33G, 10P, 3M)
Bruce Springsteen (19G, 16P, 10M)
Rod Stewart (25G, 18P, 10M)
George Strait (33G, 30P, 13M)
Barbra Streisand (50G, 30P, 13M)
James Taylor (18G, 14P, 5M)
The Temptations (19G, 6P, 1M)
U2 (15G, 15P, 11M)
Luther Vandross (18G, 15P, 7M)
Van Halen (14G, 13P, 12M)
The Who (18G, 10P, 5M)
Hank Williams, Jr. (22G, 8P, 1M)
Neil Young (18G, 7P, 3M)

arc angel
03-18-2007, 04:47 AM
cheifmike, you are right on both points. that list is a joke !.

vanished
03-18-2007, 05:11 AM
Have to say I don't like the new stuff - last decent thing they did was POWER WINDOWS... everything after that was just weak I reckon - except for the cover of SUMMER TIME BLUES they did.

I prefer the early stuff - HEMISPHERES and all that.

I've a lot of RUSH stuff, but I won't be buying the new.

I bought "Deconstruction of a Drum Solo" by Neil Peart which was incredible - he's very methodical and his life philosphy is quite intriguing, as applied as well to his drumming. He's one of the best drummers in popular rock and I used to "deconstruct" some of his solos with my drum instructor.

Hemispheres with it's instrumental "La Villa Strangiata" is timeless. Good musicianship with fine song writing....

vanished
03-18-2007, 05:15 AM
[quote=SkyTwo] Having one of Rock's most influential guitarist, the world greatest drummer and bass player .

Dave Weckl, Terry "Ted" Bozzio, and Carter Beauford of the Dave Matthews Band can smoke Neil right out of the ice house. He has never been considered, as any time, the "Greatest Drummer". Even he, when he put together the Buddy Rich tribute, easily concedes that. I saw Buddy live when I was young. Force of nature. That having been said, Neil works very very very very very very hard with a good supply of talent but greatest? Nah. Sorry about the Rush to Judgment....

arc angel
03-18-2007, 05:31 AM
vanished , there are some super percussionist out there who get no props i will throw a good one out jon fishmen fuckin great ! but with a band like rush its the package deal those 3 guys could play in there day.
just my thoughts.

bassman2546
03-18-2007, 04:53 PM
[quote=SkyTwo] Having one of Rock's most influential guitarist, the world greatest drummer and bass player .

Dave Weckl, Terry "Ted" Bozzio, and Carter Beauford of the Dave Matthews Band can smoke Neil right out of the ice house. He has never been considered, as any time, the "Greatest Drummer". Even he, when he put together the Buddy Rich tribute, easily concedes that. I saw Buddy live when I was young. Force of nature. That having been said, Neil works very very very very very very hard with a good supply of talent but greatest? Nah. Sorry about the Rush to Judgment....

Yes he has been considered the Greatest Drummer. Ask anyone who knows anything about music and they will tell you. Of course he's not going to say that he's better than other great drummers. That would make him arrogant and then YOU would be calling him an arrogant prick.

I agree. He does have a great supply of talent working with him in Alex and Geddy. But they don't make him a great drummer. Only Neil does that. That particular comment you made didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense.

Oh and I did chuckle when you said Carter Beauford could "smoke him out of the water" Too funny. What's next? The girl from White Stripes is better than Neil?

stillies77
03-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Just got tickets to Dashboard 4/29 in penns landing...campus invasion tour...gotta love that...cant wait to hear all the anti dashboard replies haha...who cares...i love them.

bassman2546
03-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Yes he has been considered the Greatest Drummer. Ask anyone who knows anything about music and they will tell you. "Anyone"? Like who? All the guys you smoked pot with in a predominantly white suburban high school? ;-)

Get real. There are people who have far better technique, and are far more original. I'm sorry, but these "greatest rock musician" arguments are borderline-retarded.

Never touched a joint in my life or any other drug, so before you judge, politely fuck off.

dreamer
03-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I dunno --for some reason that "head rush" stuff just came to mind ---remember that little dark bottle --I think it had a red/yellow label ----sniff it real deep and hold it in??? ----remember that stuff???? ----

joeboz
03-19-2007, 03:01 PM
The only thing Rush is any good for was the soundtrack for one of the funniest movies of all time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIZ8zNpwZak

bassman2546
03-20-2007, 02:38 AM
Yes he has been considered the Greatest Drummer. Ask anyone who knows anything about music and they will tell you. "Anyone"? Like who? All the guys you smoked pot with in a predominantly white suburban high school? ;-)

Get real. There are people who have far better technique, and are far more original. I'm sorry, but these "greatest rock musician" arguments are borderline-retarded.

Never touched a joint in my life or any other drug, so before you judge, politely fuck off.No wonder you like Rush. ;-)

Good comeback. I doubt I would ever look to you for opinions on musical techniques. Check out Neil's "Anatomy of a Drum Solo" or "A Work in Progress", then you will be entitled to an educated opinion.

chefmike
03-20-2007, 04:28 AM
Good comeback. I doubt I would ever look to you for opinions on musical techniques. Check out Neil's "Anatomy of a Drum Solo" or "A Work in Progress", then you will be entitled to an educated opinion.

Sure Beavis... :roll:

:sleep

bassman2546
03-21-2007, 03:03 AM
Good comeback. I doubt I would ever look to you for opinions on musical techniques. Check out Neil's "Anatomy of a Drum Solo" or "A Work in Progress", then you will be entitled to an educated opinion.Do I have to? ;-) Well,ok; if you must, put the guy on a pedestal, and see how much I really care.

Because I'm not telling you that what you like sucks; just that throwing around opinions about who's the "greatest" is subjective at best. It's almost like men who need to drive expensive cars to forget about their small dicks.

Personally, I'd rather listen to someone like Billy Cobham, Max Roach, or even Mitch Mitchell. To me, they have both soul AND technique. Where as, that Rush guy has all the musical personality of a piece of wood.

Anyway, I really think you should start listening to Weather Report, King Crimson, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Terry Bozzio, etc. I know they don't have their album covers painted on the backs of denim jackets and printed on crap like bandanas and coffee mugs, but they're actually pretty talented musicians.

But, hey, why listen to me? I'm just some TS who thinks that guys who are soooo seriously into pretentious stuff like Rush need to get laid a lot more often. ~~~ I keed! I keed! ;-)

I actually like a lot of what you listed because I have an open mind when it comes to music and am not quick to judge what I don't know. Musical personality of a piece of wood. Maybe read his four best selling books before you judge his personality. Would you like me to list them?

The Masked Rider
Ghost Rider
Traveling Music
Roadshow

I don't mind someone's negative opinion about RUSH, if they can back it up. You haven't thus far.

wombat33
03-21-2007, 03:47 AM
RUSH released their new single called "Far Cry" this past Monday. Probably the best song I've heard all year. It's heavy and smoking and puts this other crap I've been listening to all year to complete shame. It's so amazing that there are only three guys in this band.

Have a listen at:

www.rush.com

I can't stand Rush. I know they have a good drummer..........but it ends there for me. I hate the lead singer's vocals..........it is like when a teacher scratches the blackboard with her nails.

I am happy you are happy though

Dino Velvet
11-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Man, this is an old thread to bump but I'm wondering if anyone has heard the new songs from the upcoming Clockwork Angels album. Here's a couple.

YouTube - Rush- Caravan w/ lyrics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-WrgfGxeI)

YouTube - Rush- BU2B w/ Lyrics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYTOZU9rRj8)

schealseakendra
11-19-2010, 07:36 AM
hi dino velvet!!!
these are a great songs thank's

bassman2546
11-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Yep, I've heard them many times. And they sound awesome LIVE. For the guy back in 2007 who says Geddy's voice sounds like finger nails down a chalk board, have a good listen. Geddy hasn't sounded like that in 30 years, unfortunately.

Also, someone said they only have a good drummer? Well, they have arguably the best drummer of all time (all you Bonham fans can save it, he's not even close), arguably the best bass player of all time, and recently voted by his peers as, currently the best guitarist in the world. Don't believe me, check out their accolades. They speak for the themselves.