PDA

View Full Version : I have no idea what to name this topic...................

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
03-15-2007, 05:45 PM
As stated for the title I have no idea what to name this topic so I'll just type the shit and let those interested in replying seriously to it figure it out.

A friend of mine who I have known for a few years was arrested a few days ago. She was accused of being involved in something that took place in the apartment she rents with a few other roommates. Apparently one of her other roommates got into some shit with one of his friends and that person's truck tires were damaged and if I'm not mistaken there was window damage done to the vehicle also. The person informed the local authorities who then came to the apartment and later arrested my friend's roommate.

From what I was told she (my friend) had nothing to do with the incident, she was sleeping in her own room when this took place, and after her roommate was arrested she helped him as much as she could claiming he was innocent, gathering up money to get him out, etc.

Where this gets interesting is her being arrested 2 days ago. The authorities came back to her residence and arrested her on suspicion of being involved with the incident. Having no idea what the inside of a courtroom looks like other than ever serving as a juror, she described to me how they processed her, kept her locked up with the men and then set her bail originally at $20k. I say originally because it was reduced to $7.5k which was paid via a bail bondsmen.

So after listening to this story for about 15 mins on the phone, I suggested some advice. When I 1st heard about her roommate getting arrested I suggested that she get the fuck out of that apartment, but she didn't listen. Stubborn nature I suppose, can't force someone to do anything so I said my peace and left it up to her. Now that she's gotten arrested, been processed, and is NOT a citizen of the U.S. I told her that she might want to contact other successful women in the area and take their advice; her response was "oh well right now I think I'll go with the trasngender lawyer that my support group sent me." This was her decision so I have to respect that, it just irks me that people get so headstrong sometimes that they won't take the advice given. This thread has gotten incredibly long so I'll end it here, if anyone wants to chime in I'll reply afterwards............

tsntx
03-15-2007, 06:13 PM
shes gonna need a lot more then a lawyer that works well w/ ts women... there are a lot of issues here, that are stated and im sure a few more she didnt disclose...

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
03-15-2007, 06:15 PM
exactly Jen, thanks for replying btw

I'm pretty sure there's alot she didn't tell me, which is fine, it's really none of my business unless she decides she wants to share it. The thing that bothered me was not taking advice, I'm sure there's a few women on this board that know a few good lawyers that might have been able to at least consult her, but she just igged it.

rick_932
03-15-2007, 06:19 PM
youve done everything you can to help her man. if shes not willing to take any of the advice or help you give her, then i wouldnt feel bad about it. you made the effort. you cant change headstrong people like this and they only come around when they feel theres no other alternative. dont beat yourself up

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
03-15-2007, 06:21 PM
true indeed, thanks

I feel bad for her b/f, the DA attempted to get his personal info as well

I know he's probably saying to himself, what did I get into

RawNY
03-15-2007, 08:48 PM
She needs a top notch criminal attorney as well as an immigration attorney. Fuck the transgender issues. I don't know where this happened, but it does not sound like she faces jail time, but probably restitution and/or community service.
I have a good feeling that she left out some details.

ezed
03-16-2007, 04:59 AM
I think they're using her to get any info they can on the roomates. They're were aware of her non-US Citizen status from day one. They're playing here to get info on the others whether she knows anything or not. She's a keeper, till they get what they want or solve the case.

They'll keep rolling logs at her T lawyer, and meanwhile increase intimidation tatics, seeing if she got anything. A good criminal lawyer is the way to go as suggested earlier. Better to get out, than just take a stab at upgrading her accommodations in jail.

olite71
03-16-2007, 06:08 AM
She needs a top notch criminal attorney as well as an immigration attorney. Fuck the transgender issues. I don't know where this happened, but it does not sound like she faces jail time, but probably restitution and/or community service.
I have a good feeling that she left out some details.

Precisely. She needs an criminal attorney who frequently works with immigration attorneys.

Tell her to look up Jackie Newman (an immigration expert) in San Francisco who is a good referral source for a case like this.

I'm surprised she even got out on bail.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
03-16-2007, 06:14 AM
I'm surprised she got out also.

TheGuard
03-16-2007, 06:25 AM
I never really understood why people ask for advice or your opinion then don't even consider it.

I mean, mother fuckers my time could be better spent playing with my balls, killing a hooker or eating a fucking peanut butter sammich. Michy.

assholes.

Oli
03-16-2007, 06:42 AM
JWBL, put it out of your mind. Your advice was sound and timely, that she didn't take it isn't your fault. As long as she is out on bail, the best thing she has going for her is time. The incident, and roles people played will come into sharper focus. And from your description the crimminal charges will more than likely go away. She does need to get an Immigration Attorney.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
03-16-2007, 07:05 AM
you're absolutely right, and thanks to everyone for all of the advice, seriously..........

it just bugs me so I figured I'd post it to hear different opinions on it

Felicia Katt
03-16-2007, 08:11 AM
a couple of quick observations and then some comments

1. It sounds like the crime would be a property damage only type crime and unless the property damage amount is pretty substantial, would probably only be a misdeameanor. Prosecutions for such crimes rarely go to trial, and when they do, the goal is more usually restitution rather then emprisonment

2. The bail amounts would seem to support that as well. Bail of 20,000 only requires 2k to get out with a bail bond. 7500.00 is only 750.00. Except in very serious crimes, bail is a right, not a privilege and rarely withheld. In Calif, bail amounts are set by statute and determined by the crime charged.

3. Unless there was an eyewitness, or some physical evidence tying her to the crime, your friend was probably arrested because the roommate implicated her.

4. The police do not "sweat witnesses" though false arrest and baseless charges to solve minor crimes.

5. Unless it involves drugs or some other federal or national security bugaboo, a misdemeanor is not grounds for any problems with immigration.

6 A "top notch" criminal lawyer will require a very substantial retainer to take on even a simple case. Try 5 thousand dollars or more just to handle the arraigment or preliminary and a lot more if the case goes to trial. Immigration lawyersprobably charge by the hour, rather than by retainer, but even so, they do not come cheaply

7. Your friend is lucky to have any free legal representation. You generally only get a public defender on felonies.

As far as giving advice, its often easier to give it, than it is to take it. You tell her to get out, but its her home. Did she have any place to go? You told her to talk to other successful women. Her pro bono attorney would seem to fit that bill pretty well, and her advice on these legal issues is probably better informed than anyone else she might know.

As far as taking advice, its often easier to ask for than it is to take it too. A lot of times, when someone asks for advice, they are really looking for support or validation for the course they have committed to. You did a lot by listening and making suggestions, don't minimize that by feeling dissed that she didn't take them.

FK