PDA

View Full Version : whats the worst thing that could happen, to you ?

Justwaiting
03-15-2007, 05:54 AM
living having not loved.
seeing but not knowing.
being but not understanding.

just wondering what you guys think is the worst thing that could happen.

Ecstatic
03-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Living an unexamined life.

Rory
03-15-2007, 06:14 AM
being burned within an inch of my life,
getting Anthrax,
that kind of shit

ohioboy
03-15-2007, 06:15 AM
Living life with a closed mind...not exploring your world, and understanding it. Or at least not attempting to see life from other perspectives than your own.

MrsKellyPierce
03-15-2007, 06:16 AM
The worst thing that could happen to me did happen when I lost both of my parents...no this is not for sympathy..but since it was asked I answered.

My mom died of cancer when I was 16

and my dad just this past year of lung cancer

ohioboy
03-15-2007, 06:18 AM
I feel you Kelly..i posted some stuff about that earlier, my mom has cancer bad, and she just got radiation on her brain, and she is not all their, u kno.

Its a horrible experience for everyone involved, i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
03-15-2007, 06:18 AM
pissing on an electric fence and this being the end result

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/lou_cypher/jokes/poorguy.jpg

TheGuard
03-15-2007, 06:19 AM

My fears are a long the same lines, something metaphyspical philisophical rather than literal. Good answer.

MrsKellyPierce
03-15-2007, 06:22 AM
I feel you Kelly..i posted some stuff about that earlier, my mom has cancer bad, and she just got radiation on her brain, and she is not all their, u kno.

Its a horrible experience for everyone involved, i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. It definitely is, and it's hard cause you get that glimmer of hope where you think they are on remission and everything is okay. Then it ends up somewhere else in their body, which is what happened with my mother. Started with breast, then ovaries, then to the stomach. She was my best friend it was real hard to let go and still is. What I worried about when I was younger is that I would forget, but I never have.

Lukemia, thats horrible. At least my mother was still able to communicate and think clearly before she went. I'm sorry about that, I truly am.

ohioboy
03-15-2007, 06:30 AM
Yea, ur right on point. She has breast cancer, it went in remission, then spread to the liver and lungs....then she got a tumor on her brain(seperate thing they said), almost died....was seemingly doing well until more radiation...and here we are now. She has spots in the liver and lungs still....we'll see. She is on the chemo pill, so maybe she can live another five, ten, twenty years...who knows tho. Thats the thing about cancer.

I think she will be able to communicate better, she can, but she blurts things out and has short attention span...she jsut finished radiation a week ago, so ill remain optimistic.

stillies77
03-15-2007, 06:36 AM
my parachute not opening.

trish
03-15-2007, 06:43 AM
waking up after an head injury finding i enjoy Kenny G. Oh, and thanks to JWBL's contribution, i'm really gonna steer clear of electric fences too.

blackmagic
03-15-2007, 06:50 AM
hearing this forum no longer exist (im an addict))

olite71
03-15-2007, 06:51 AM
The worst thing that could happen to me did happen when I lost both of my parents...no this is not for sympathy..but since it was asked I answered.

Kelly, your post here is probably one of the most sincere and effective because it is concrete and not abstract---like this "seeing without knowing" stuff. All that philosphy is nice in the cafe but it doesn't give you anything to really chew on down here on the pavement. And, as a matter of logic, if you can't "know" then well you can't know that bad things are happening.... But that gets into if we're talking about sentient "worse things" or absolute "worse things" and the distinction between the sentient and the absolute is a long story...you get my point...

Good simple, sincere and powerful post.

MrsKellyPierce
03-15-2007, 06:56 AM

Kelly, your post here is probably one of the most sincere and effective because it is concrete and not abstract---like this "seeing without knowing" stuff. All that philosphy is nice in the cafe but it doesn't give you anything to really chew on down here on the pavement. And, as a matter of logic, if you can't "know" then well you can't know that bad things are happening.... But that gets into if we're talking about sentient "worse things" or absolute "worse things" and the distinction between the sentient and the absolute is a long story...you get my point...

Good simple, sincere and powerful post. If I feel I can share something to someone else's post I will. Even if it's personal..I don't offer up the information that my parents are dead. In fact I still talk about them in present tense when meeting someone for the first time or in groups of people I don't know, cause I always hate the silence then the sorries that follow. Some people may find that approach weird, but it works for me.

olite71
03-15-2007, 07:01 AM

Good simple, sincere and powerful post. If I feel I can share something to someone else's post I will. Even if it's personal..I don't offer up the information that my parents are dead. In fact I still talk about them in present tense when meeting someone for the first time or in groups of people I don't know, cause I always hate the silence then the sorries that follow. Some people may find that approach weird, but it works for me.

It may be weird, it may be conversation stopping, it may be a little heavy---but it is real.

And there's nothing like the real.

Quinn
03-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Cool thread. I enjoy reading the answers people give as they lend some insight into how other people think (what makes them tick, etc.).

For me, the answer is a simple one: a return to the circumstances that characterized my childhood/youth. Getting as far away from those circumstances as possible is one of two drives that defines my existence. The strange thing is that part of me actually looks back upon that hell with gratitude. Yes, that hell robbed me of any semblance of childhood; conversely, it also gave me the aggression, discipline, and strength to achieve things as an adult I never would have been capable of otherwise. In essence, my oppression eventually became the source of my ultimate liberation and success. Every experience, no matter how beautiful or horrific, provides an opportunity for growth.

-Quinn

SarahG
03-15-2007, 11:24 AM
For me, I would have to say getting dementia or alzhiemrs would be in my top 10 worst things that could happen to me list.

I have seen many, many people go that way and its probably the one thing that scares me more than anything else... my parents weren't really there growing up and I was effectively raised by a group of WW2 & 'nam vets and as they aged I got to see most of them, one at a time start to get it & lose all their memory.

Sure, it effects old people but some of the symptoms start earlier than you'd think in bad cases (think 50s).

Fox
03-15-2007, 01:15 PM
For me it's two things.

- Dying having not lived life to it's fullest and accomplishing my goals.

- Being completely forgotten after death.

Ecstatic
03-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Actually I take this back: this isn't something that could happen to me. Living a hollow, unexamined life would be empty and useless, but it's not a possibility, thankfully. The worst that could happen to me now would be my wife suffering a long, painful, slow death from some horrid disease; for me personally, it would be the same, or a long lingering but helpless old age. Pull that plug!

tsmandy
03-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Johnny Walker Black Label: That was really gross. Ew....

For me: prison would be a very, very, very bad thing.

BRONXBODY
03-15-2007, 07:19 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/lou_cypher/jokes/poorguy.jpg

Blech!!! I think that is actually frostbite...

peggygee
03-15-2007, 07:22 PM
living having not loved.
seeing but not knowing.
being but not understanding.

just wondering what you guys think is the worst thing that could happen.

I think we are kindred spirits my rookie friend.

Nothing worse than a dream deferred, or one that is never realized.

gaiseric
03-15-2007, 07:52 PM
I have 2 things that could happen to me that would come into this topic.
The first would be losing the beautiful TS girl that I am crazy in love with and I have a horrid feeling that it may be happening. That would have a long lasting effect on me and take a lot of getting over if at all.
The other thing that really scares me is the possibility of dying alone and in pain. I live alone and all my close friends live a fair distance away. This crosses my mind more and more these days as I have a couple of medical conditions which if they flare up could cause me real problems. I've had one of them for over 15 years with no problem so far so I'm optimistic. However being on your own and being taken seriously ill is a source of worry.

specialk
03-15-2007, 08:48 PM
the worst thing that could happen.........the inevitable, getting old and losing your health. When you physically suffer, what joy is anything else?

BeardedOne
03-15-2007, 11:40 PM

Jeezus, Johnnie, we could have done without the pic on that one. :shock:

I've heard numerous tales of operators on the Red Arrow and SIRTOA that aimed the wrong way and hit the third rail (600 VDC). Owwwwoooh! :shock:

Interesting thought, E. I'll royt it doon.

- Being completely forgotten after death.

This actually was a thought of mine for some time until I had the opportunity to have my name in the Smithsonian archives (Certain federal positions are maintained in agency records there). Then I thought 'Well, geez, if they can't remember me while I'm breathing, what's the point of remembering me when I'm worm-food?'. I'd rather hear/read the gossip while I can still react to it.

The worst thing that could happen to me did happen when I lost both of my parents...

Eventually, we all become 'orphans'. Some sooner than others. As I was born rather late in the litter, I had to deal with 'sooner'. How these departures affect you corrolates with the relationship you had with them in the living years. Though never really 'close' with my dad, I blubbered like a baby for days after he died in 1981. My mom soldiered on until just short of two years ago. To this day I wonder why I have shed more tears for an old cat than I did for my own mother. Didn't hate her (As irritating as she may have been - But isn't that their job?), just sort of ambivalent.

So far, I think that I wouldn't know the worst thing, until it happened. :shrug

demmie
03-16-2007, 12:41 AM
I was watching the news, adn some guy in Florida is getting a trial because he raped a nine-year-old, then threw her in a plastic bag and buried her alive.

An innocent nine-year-old who had no idea of what was happening who was probably bleeding, mentally scarred from the rape, and confused about why this happened to her, who was then suffocated in a plastic trash bag. And if that didn't kill her, the weight of the dirt (from being buried ALIVE) did.

That bastard will get life, but he'll never suffer like her.

Imagine her parents.

And he'll get parole.

To end up dead and unjustified like that girl is the worst thing that could happen to a person

tsmandy
03-16-2007, 01:36 AM
Eventually, we all become 'orphans'. Some sooner than others. As I was born rather late in the litter, I had to deal with 'sooner'. How these departures affect you corrolates with the relationship you had with them in the living years. Though never really 'close' with my dad, I blubbered like a baby for days after he died in 1981.

Hey my dad died in '81 as well. I didn't know him at all, as i was only months old at the time.

Quinn
03-16-2007, 01:54 AM
The more I see that pic posted by JWBL, the more I'm thinking about changing my answer to "pissing on an electric fence." I can't stop looking at that fucking pic, despite the fact that I get a major case of the heevie-jeevies ever time I do.

-Quinn

ottorocket
03-16-2007, 02:07 AM
Worst thing? Hillary Clinton becomes president. But the upside is GW term will be done.

BeardedOne
03-16-2007, 02:07 AM
Hey my dad died in '81 as well. I didn't know him at all, as i was only months old at the time.

Hard to say if that is a blessing or a curse. While I do have some fond memories of my dad ( I was 23 at the time of his death), there were also quite a few horror stories.

Good story: Before I was born, my dad had a dog named 'Lady'. She would sit at his feet all day and he would stroke her back with his foot. Fast forward about fifteen years: We had a cat named 'Boots' that would slide into the space between him and the arm of his recliner. He'd absently wiggle his fingers to stroke the back of her neck.

Years after both the dog and cat had passed, my father, to the day of his death, would swing his foot and wiggle his fingers, stroking the phantom animals of his memory.

Azanti
03-16-2007, 02:29 AM
I think several of them already have happened, but no complaints, plenty of good things have happened too.

I dare say there will be more to come both good and bad.

The one thing that would exceed all of them would be - when you get to the end of your life, remember you will only regret the things you didn't know, rarely those you did (Unless you lived a life of crime or something)