PDA

View Full Version : Richard Jeni RIP

DJ_Asia
03-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Goddamn...Richard Jeni shot himself in the face tonight...im in shock!
He was one of the funniest guys i ever saw.He rarely used foul language but rather entertained with keen and offbeat observations of everyday stuff.Saw him once at a special engagement in Pasadena California at the Icehouse and the place was sold out...wall to wall and he was amazing.

Sorry to see such a talented human go that way....RIP Richard...

Felicia Katt
03-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Way I see it, we're all on the Hindenburg, no use fighting over the window seat."

- Richard Jeni,

I guess he just gave up his seat :(

RIP

FK

ottorocket
03-12-2007, 08:17 AM
suck motha fnckn crap holes... He was one of my fav stand ups...::sigh::

TheGuard
03-12-2007, 08:18 AM
That's sad, I was just watching him in The Aristocrats.

RIP

ottorocket
03-12-2007, 08:18 AM
He was one of the funniest guys i ever saw.He rarely used foul language but rather entertained with keen and offbeat observations of everyday stuff.Saw him once at a special engagement in Pasadena California at the Icehouse and the place was sold out...wall to wall and he was amazing.

there is still an ongoing investigation...its not certain yet according to AP reports

DJ_Asia
03-12-2007, 08:24 AM
for all u who arent familiar...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lUkeyw7xdb4

TJT
03-12-2007, 08:34 AM
He had a short lived sitcom on Fox that was good too.

Felicia Katt
03-12-2007, 08:40 AM
this just came online too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Jeni

FK

yodajazz
03-12-2007, 09:31 AM
He had a classic bit on his HBO special about being in a restaurant with his girlfriend and being served by an attractive waitress with big tits. Pure genius. I like the movie "The Alan Smithee Story" he was in too. I can't believe he's gone!

chefmike
03-12-2007, 03:20 PM
I just heard about this. I always enjoyed this guy's work back in the day. He took his own life. A damned shame. Rest easy Richard, and thanks for the laughs.

Heres a tribute by Elayne Boosler:

Remembering Richard Jeni

On a blog dedicated to the search for truth, justice, and original thinking, it is only fitting to remember one whose life's work was dedicated to the same. Of course, he made his points with such incredible humor and insight, his arguments were irresistible.

On religious wars, "You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."

Comedian Richard Jeni took his own life yesterday. If you don't know the name, well, that is the only reason I can think of he might have been despondent enough to do what he did.

On relationships, "Honesty is the key to a relationship. If you can fake that, you're in."

He was in his forties. You wish you knew he was diving down that deep, past all logic and reason. You'd grab him and shake him and say, "Hey! You're not getting raped trying to gather firewood in Rwanda! Those people fight to live every day! Don't we see enough crying every night, watching the Iraqis get blown up trying to buy an apple?" But that's the thing about suicide; all that horror, despondency, emptiness, is all the same size once you cross that line at the bottom. So we can't be angry, he surely couldn't look up from where he was at that awful moment, no one who kills himself can.

"My mother never saw the irony of calling me a son of a bitch."

Richard was a rarity in standup comedy this last decade; a comedian who wrote. He crafted whole pieces, whole shows, and brilliant lines. His comedy will live on in favorite bits the way "Who's On First?" (Abbott and Costello), "The Palladium" (Lenny Bruce), "The Seven Words You Can't Say" (George Carlin), "Starbucks" (Jackie Mason), "Mudbone" (Richard Pryor), and all of Lord Buckley's brilliant word paintings, and Chris Rock's and Monty Python's and Bill Hicks' and Sam Kinison's and Robert Schimmel's and Bobby Slayton's hysterical, truthful and gut wrenching comedy will.

On dating, "At least Charles Manson has the decency to look crazy from the moment you meet him."

The thing that made Richard even more unique in comedy was his gentleness. He was so open in his truths that even when he confessed to his frustration with women, or politics, or life, he was so compelling and accessible, you listened and felt. He wasn't "playing" that quality, it was just there, real. He never pushed his viewpoints, he was just thinking out loud, happily for us.

On the far right, "People whose idea of a good time is strapping a dead panda to the front of a Lincoln Navigator and running over everybody in the gay parade."

But he didn't take sides. His bit titled "Political Parties" on his "A Big Steaming Pile of Me" special takes everyone equally to task, and hilariously so; the right, the left, the middle. It's just brilliant. And then he could just muse on things:

(On America's "A Horse With No Name"), "You're in the desert, you got nothing else to do. NAME THE FREAKIN' HORSE!"

"You go to a steakhouse, guess what folks..no cow tank."

If you want to see some great comedy, from a great performer, rent or buy some of Rich's specials; "Boy From New York City", "A Big Steaming Pile of Me", "Crazy From the Heat", and many more. He was brilliant. And you'll wonder why you might not have known his name before now, which brings us back to the beginning. Maybe there is nothing worse than not being allowed to use all your gifts, and to finally lose hope after twenty years of watching lesser mortals sail on through. Well, we know there aint no logic or justice in show business, and nobody forced you to get into it, and the worst day in show business is still probably more lucrative and comfortable than the best day in most other jobs. That's what most people hold on to when it's frustrating. I have no idea why he decided to leave, or even if he was in good health. Other friends say he did talk about suicide, but not the why of it. I'm just sorry we lost such a sweet guy, such a clear and original voice, with years and years to go..

Richard Jeni, "The way I see life, it's like we're all flying on the Hindenburg, why fight over the window seats?"

RawNY
03-12-2007, 03:52 PM
I had th epleasure of seeing Richard several times in comedy clubs in NYC. He was priceless. I always feel helpess when I hear of someone commiting suicide. Ihope he has found peace.

biguy4tvtscd
03-16-2007, 08:37 PM
This is real sad. Jeni was hysterical, I never got to see him live, but I always enjoyed his HBO specials.

chefmike
03-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Priceless:

Jeni on the far right: "People whose idea of a good time is strapping a dead panda to the front of a Lincoln Navigator and running over everybody in the gay parade."

blackmagic
03-16-2007, 11:48 PM

yeah, id also like to bring up the death of my grand father whos laying dead in his grave, yep.......... during WW2 he kicked some asian ass while serving in the navy, thanks for dying for this country and most of all teaching me lifes most important values, thank you grand dad.

need i say more or do you understand why im bitching?

chefmike
03-17-2007, 12:15 AM

yeah, id also like to bring up the death of my grand father whos laying dead in his grave, yep.......... during WW2 he kicked some asian ass while serving in the navy, thanks for dying for this country and most of all teaching me lifes most important values, thank you grand dad.

need i say more or do you understand why im bitching?

We actually have several threads regarding military service in the politics and religion forum..so why don't you tell us WTF you're bitching in that forum...and BTW, this is a thread about a favorite comic of many of us here...you're post doesn't belong in this thread, IMO...

blackmagic
03-17-2007, 01:22 AM
We actually have several threads regarding military service in the politics and religion forum..so why don't you tell us WTF you're bitching in that forum...and BTW, this is a thread about a favorite comic of many of us here...you're post doesn't belong in this thread, IMO...

just pointing out the stupidity of praising someone for making us laugh

Jericho
03-17-2007, 01:30 AM

:roll:
Can't think of a better reason!

chefmike
03-17-2007, 01:49 AM

That might just be the most retarded thing that you've said since you recently rode into this forum on the short bus, zippy...
and that's saying a lot.

DJ_Asia
03-17-2007, 01:54 AM

That might just be the most retarded thing that you've said since you recently rode into this forum on the short bus, zippy...
and that's saying a lot.

Amen

suckseed
03-17-2007, 01:56 AM
I don't appreciate the 'asian ass' comment. In fact, fuck you.

blackmagic
03-17-2007, 01:59 AM

and that's saying a lot.

forgive me.................. for being so blunt in pointing out that we pay more respect to movie stars, commedians and bullshitting millionairs, than we do for those who do more in life than those idiots

chefmike
03-17-2007, 02:05 AM

and that's saying a lot.

forgive me.................. for being so blunt in pointing out that we pay more respect to movie stars, commedians and bullshitting millionairs, than we do for those who do more in life than those idiots

I rest my case...

Felicia Katt
03-18-2007, 01:36 AM
Richard Jeni wasn't just some comedian, doing knock knock jokes, and 15 minutes about airline food, he was a social and political commentator. Sometimes, the mirror you hold up to society to try to affect change is a funhouse one. Making people both laugh and think is not easy and deserves respect and recognition

FK