PDA

View Full Version : Just got home from 300

Vicki Richter
03-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Well, let me first say that the theatre was full of rowdy upper middle class teenagers. If you wonder what teens in suberbia do on weekends when they don't have a party to goto... think no further.

It was pretty fun though. Some young black guy got up and break danced in front of everyone during the previews. Several girls left during the sex scenes - which my friend and I found humorous. It was extremely loud until the movie started. I was a little worried they were going to ruin it, but they quieted down.

The movie itself was very good. Every guy in the movie had cut abs and perfect male bodies. My girlfriend said she felt it was in her top 3 ever. A quote, "I want to have sex with that movie". It wasn't the kind of movie that really tears your emotions out of you, it has excitement, love, lust, betrayal, etc, but I don't think the characters are built up enough to make you truely cry when they are killed off. Nothing like Boromir from LOTR for example.

I am going to see it again on Sunday afternoon.

stillies77
03-10-2007, 09:40 AM
what was that statement you made about comic books earlier?

AllanahStarrNYC
03-10-2007, 09:57 AM
I want to see this.

I went to go see The Queen last Sunday again, and I saw the preview and it looks very beautiful and definately erotic and sensous.

I was kinda worried it was going to be just a 'guy's film' but I am gonna check it out.

MrsKellyPierce
03-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Were the guys hot..I heard they worked them out so much that they were puking during the workouts.

Vicki Richter
03-10-2007, 10:00 AM

I am a proud geek Stillies... I played chess all throughout my school years. In chess club, I ranked 12th in my first state tournament and a few years later had worked my way to a top 50 USCF rating nationally for my age. In the 4th grade I was in 6th grade math and later was promoted an extra grade. I didn't have perfect SAT's, but they were very very good. I have also watched every Star Trek and Star Wars movie at least 5 times. I was a very smart child before I started to put my intelligence toward evil and the dark side of the force.

Trust me, I am proudly the supreme geek commander of all shemales which is perhaps why I have such a disdain for some of the mindless prattle on the board of late... but comic books are down right nerdy.

MikeyLikesIt
03-10-2007, 10:03 AM
i saw 300 tonight also

did anyone else notice how feminine Xerxes looked?

Anyways the ending was good everything was amazing.

stillies77
03-10-2007, 10:03 AM

I am a proud geek Stillies... I played chess all throughout my school years. In chess club, I ranked 12th in my first state tournament and a few years later had worked my way to a top 50 USCF rating nationally for my age. In the 4th grade I was in 6th grade math and later was promoted an extra grade. I didn't have perfect SAT's, but they were very very good. I have also watched every Star Trek and Star Wars movie at least 5 times. I was a very smart child before I started to put my intelligence toward evil and the dark side of the force.

Trust me, I am proudly the supreme geek commander of all shemales which is perhaps why I have such a disdain for some of the mindless prattle on the board of late... but comic books are down right nerdy.

haha no no its all good im just glad you enjoyed my choice of nerdery...300 the book is amazing...and all comic books are not down right nerdy...they are so awesome and it pisses me off sometimes when people hate comics then go see the movie then they love it i am just glad you arent one of those people that talk all this shit about comics and people who love them then cant wait to see the movie...im like WHAT?!
I have to agree this board is looking like Baghdad lately...what is going on around here?

Vicki Richter
03-10-2007, 10:06 AM
The men were the most beautiful I have ever seen in any movie. It was overwhelming at times. The movie itself was very good. It was a little like Troy, but with much better characters. The story was simple, but entertaining. Really, I think the best part was the beauty of the movie. They did amazing things with CGI and such to make it breathtaking and totally different than any movie I've ever seen visually.

I think the biggest draw for women was clearly the men in the movie as opposed to the story. They were definitely strong, masculine, sex objects which is a ice diversion from women in movies being the sex objects. I thought it was funny because at one point it shows the kings bare butt and alot the young guys protected their masculinity by exclaiming, "I didn't need to see that" or "ooooooh", etc... It's entertaining to see the 18ish year old male macho factor in action.

Rory
03-10-2007, 10:07 AM
I was kinda worried it was going to be just a 'guy's film' but I am gonna check it out.

There's more & longer fight scenes than any movie I've seen. But, it's very girl/gay friendly in that there's gratuitous man-flesh. The Spartans just wear little superhero-style speedos, shoes, and a cape.

Vicki Richter
03-10-2007, 10:10 AM
i saw 300 tonight also

He looked like a Big Foot version of that kid in Stargate.

MrsKellyPierce
03-10-2007, 10:10 AM
The men were the most beautiful I have ever seen in any movie. It was overwhelming at times. The movie itself was very good. It was a little like Troy, but with much better characters. The story was simple, but entertaining. Really, I think the best part was the beauty of the movie. They did amazing things with CGI and such to make it breathtaking and totally different than any movie I've ever seen visually.

I think the biggest draw for women was clearly the men in the movie as opposed to the story. They were definitely strong, masculine, sex objects which is a ice diversion from women in movies being the sex objects. I thought it was funny because at one point it shows the kings bare butt and alot the young guys protected their masculinity by exclaiming, "I didn't need to see that" or "ooooooh", etc... It's entertaining to see the 18ish year old male macho factor in action. Sounds good to me but I liked Gladiator and Troy also. I also liked Alexander and the fact you got to see Colin Farrels penis lol

olite71
03-10-2007, 10:21 AM
After perusing this thread, I decided that the 80-year-old-lady who works at the hardware store in my neighborhood and who sold me a hoe today, was more interesting in her ruminations about the weather...

Vicki is a lucky woman...her looks can even draw intelligent people into a den of nothingness.

Cat
03-10-2007, 10:22 AM
I don't think it looks like an appropriate adaptation.

MrsKellyPierce
03-10-2007, 10:23 AM
I don't think it looks like an appropriate adaptation. Is that cat from a Disney movie..it's been bugging me!

Cat
03-10-2007, 10:25 AM
I don't think it looks like an appropriate adaptation. Is that cat from a Disney movie..it's been bugging me!
It's one of the third-string Warner Bros. cats. 8)

Vicki Richter
03-10-2007, 06:00 PM
After perusing this thread, I decided that the 80-year-old-lady who works at the hardware store in my neighborhood and who sold me a hoe today, was more interesting in her ruminations about the weather...

Vicki is a lucky woman...her looks can even draw intelligent people into a den of nothingness.

Blah this is a great thread.

Kabuki
03-10-2007, 06:18 PM
i saw 300 tonight also

He looked like a Big Foot version of that kid in Stargate.

I was actually thinking like that as well. Especially after hearing his deep voice. All they needed to do was make his eyes glow.

LG
03-10-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm just wondering...They've made a big fuss about how it's based on Frank Miller's graphic novel. Isn't the fact that it's also based on real-life events just as interesting?

I haven't seen it, though, or read Miller's comic. Does anyone know how closely either sticks to the accepted take of the Spartans' battle against Xerxes at Thermopylae?

suckseed
03-10-2007, 07:33 PM
LG, check out the wiki article. I was surprised to see so many details the were born out as being factual. I agree, the historical basis makes the movie much more compelling.

tsntx
03-10-2007, 07:44 PM

I think the biggest draw for women was clearly the men in the movie as opposed to the story. They were definitely strong, masculine, sex objects which is a ice diversion from women in movies being the sex objects. I thought it was funny because at one point it shows the kings bare butt and alot the young guys protected their masculinity by exclaiming, "I didn't need to see that" or "ooooooh", etc... It's entertaining to see the 18ish year old male macho factor in action. Sounds good to me but I liked Gladiator and Troy also. I also liked Alexander and the fact you got to see Colin Farrels penis lol

do a thread search for " collin farrel and nicole " or have one of the guys that knows what to do do it... but its collins sex tape... very nice about 8 thick no money shot but its about 13 mins long

s-fme
03-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Ok.... back to the movie, I just got back. I left the theatre at like midnight and its 1:28am. It was amazing!! I'm the kind of person that gets excited when blood is spilt (fight club drives me wild)!!! I was throwing punches and having a blast just leaving the theatre. I read the comic and yeah the historical facts are good too, but this movie is a glorious blood bath and one of my friends commented I had a smile from the point the messenger was kicked into the well till the very end of the movie. I recommend EVERYONE go see this!!!

suckseed
03-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Wow. Just got back from seeing it.
Random thoughts:
People friggin' lived back then.
I've never really thought about what it was really like back then so deeply. To fight, to wage war, what the planet looked like in that area.
This movie has a lot of great qualities. But seen with the knowledge that Frank Miller might be thought of as an extreme right winger - plus the way the Persians alternately go down like the battle droids in a Star Wars flick, or are depicted as monstrous - well the thought crossed my mind that this film is probably going to cause as many guys to sign up for the military as Top Gun did. I walked out of the theatre pretty pumped, went outside, noticed a pretty black girl walking in front of me with her eyes down and wondered what she was thinking about. (blacks, asians, arabs...they're reduced to spear fodder, at least it seems that way at the moment.)
Strange how you can feel two ways at once about something - I've got that 'Hell yeah' kind of post-Braveheart testosterone going, but also thinking about these other things.
On the level of these men fighting for the lives of their people though, it was pretty damn moving. Strange how people have been so warlike - for what? Stay at home and work the land. So many people and civilizations wasted.
Final note: I read yesterday that Iranians are saying this film is propaganda - seeing the Iranian King as a seven foot tall gay black man, it was easy to see why they probably won't be handing the DVD out for stocking stuffers this year...

suckseed
03-17-2007, 11:34 AM
and, oh yeah. "Tonight we dine in Hell!!!!"

vallon12054
03-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Well then---are you a theologian or a spartan?

remember the part of the movie when the king of sparta--i can't remember his name--had an "opinion" about his fellow greeks?

panama_red
03-18-2007, 03:08 AM
The movie sucked. It was just a tower of historical inaccuracies. One can't help but wonder if they purposefully 'demonised' the ancient Persians in an attempt to condition gullible Americans to the prospect of an invasion of Iran. The acting sucked, the script sucked, the only good thing to come out of it was the CGI effects they used in the battlescenes. Kind of Matrix-esque. I thought they couldn't fuck up such an epic storyline. I thought wrong...

suckseed
03-18-2007, 03:19 AM
well...it was based on a comic book

Kabuki
03-18-2007, 04:17 AM
The movie sucked. It was just a tower of historical inaccuracies. One can't help but wonder if they purposefully 'demonised' the ancient Persians in an attempt to condition gullible Americans to the prospect of an invasion of Iran. The acting sucked, the script sucked, the only good thing to come out of it was the CGI effects they used in the battlescenes. Kind of Matrix-esque. I thought they couldn't fuck up such an epic storyline. I thought wrong...

Just to let you know...300 was based on a comic book...published in 1998. The imagery from the film was based on the original comic book art. It loosely depicts historical events, and was obviously made to entertain. You're looking too deep into the film.

The acting was better than I thought it would be. Not too many people are complaining about the film.

panama_red
03-18-2007, 04:39 AM
I know it was based on a comic book... but even so. I hate Hollywood films which trivialise great chapters in history. It's the fuckin' principle, man! :lol:

DJ_Asia
03-18-2007, 07:44 AM
"300" was all flash and zero substance like buying a Ferrari and getting it home and realizing they sold you the only 4 cylinder Ferrari in history....it looked pretty but the fight scenes needed help,the acting was atrocious,the dialogue was laughable,but hey other then that...it was solid!

taniatlee
03-18-2007, 07:50 AM
I AM IN 300 TOO ;) AND I HAVE SEX WITH KING LEO :P DANMMM...HE'S HOT AND REALLY GOOD IN BED :oops:

phxguy
03-18-2007, 04:40 PM
I guess I'm one of those who will NOT be seeing "300". Too macho and too many CGI special effects. I was turned off just by watching the preview for it.

vanished
03-19-2007, 01:59 AM
Well, let me first say that the theatre was full of rowdy upper middle class teenagers. If you wonder what teens in suberbia do on weekends when they don't have a party to goto... think no further.

It was pretty fun though. Some young black guy got up and break danced in front of everyone during the previews. Several girls left during the sex scenes - which my friend and I found humorous. It was extremely loud until the movie started. I was a little worried they were going to ruin it, but they quieted down.

The movie itself was very good. Every guy in the movie had cut abs and perfect male bodies. My girlfriend said she felt it was in her top 3 ever. A quote, "I want to have sex with that movie". It wasn't the kind of movie that really tears your emotions out of you, it has excitement, love, lust, betrayal, etc, but I don't think the characters are built up enough to make you truely cry when they are killed off. Nothing like Boromir from LOTR for example.

I am going to see it again on Sunday afternoon.

V

It's about Spartans as you know and from my perspective, aside from being attracted to the Drag Queen Xerxes of the Persians (mmmmmm), I found the historical references accurate - the Spartans were incredible - they had a code and an honor that defies our current sense of things - war is good, dying in combat is best, you are set loose on the world as a child to steal and survive to become a soldier; and it was really 300 versus 10,000. I have some Greek heritage and I'm quite proud of the Spartans and their philosophy - interesting stuff (i.e., Lysurgis their prophet-king removed silver and gold and replaced it with coins of worthless metals to eliminate crime - which actually worked.

Fabianefan
03-19-2007, 02:41 AM
Yeah vanished is right, you'd be surpised about how accurate the movie actually is. Suuure they're ogres and shit, but its a movie based on a comic book, really what else are you going to expect? In my opinion it just added to the entertainment value, switches shit up a little bit after they killed enough persians to build a whole wall with.

I always found the Spartans fascinating, their whole culture was based upon war and the men being tough and dieing honorably. Its quite amazing how they taught the boys to be men at such an early age. Yes it was 300 vrs 10,000 as well. The only real inaccuracies (sp?) of the movie that I found is that Sparta was a culture based around slavery, at the battle of Thermopylae they actually had about 1,000 slaves with them.

As far as the action goes, 10/10, some parts really just had me in awe. A lot of action movies tend to just rinse and repeat, while I actually fealt the uniqueness (?) of it all while watching.

Character deph wasn't the best, as Vicki mentioned you don't really feel attached to the characters like when the second in commands son died, nobody really cared.

A lot of people don't really like the plot but I found it interesting, its not really deep but its still somewhat true, I just like the idea of 300 Spartans standing up to a whole army.

But I did feel kind of attached to king leonidas! He was bad to the bone!

werwt22
03-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Did anyone notice it was supposed to be 300 but all you really saw were like 12 guys? LMAO

TJT
03-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Did the film show that Spartan soldiers were lovers? It started about the age of 15 when and older soldier would take another as lover and protege'. It was generally lifelong relationship if they both survived.

The other Greek states felt that was the reason the Spartans fought so hard and to the the last man for each other. The actual "300" were an elite group of gay warriors.

gummi baer
03-21-2007, 08:00 AM
[re: - the Spartans] - they had a code and an honor that defies our current sense of things - war is good, dying in combat is best, you are set loose on the world as a child to steal and survive to become a soldier Now is it just me or does that kind of philosophy remind anyone else of the Japanese, circa 1941. Dying for the Emperor (hence: society/the state) is the highest moral code.

Bee
03-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Spartans...Tonight we dine in Hades!

Bee
03-21-2007, 10:48 AM
I AM IN 300 TOO ;) AND I HAVE SEX WITH KING LEO :P DANMMM...HE'S HOT AND REALLY GOOD IN BED :oops:

Wow! You're really in the movie? Cool!

suckseed
03-21-2007, 10:56 AM

socaltgirllover
03-21-2007, 04:45 PM
I was intimidated by the bodies of all the spartans wondering how in the hell they found all those guys who looked like that. With great relief I read that every single one of those guys in 300 had computer generated abs

NYCe
03-25-2007, 09:32 AM
I finally saw this film and on an IMAX screen. Wow. My eyeballs hurt but it was a great popcorn film. I love that IMAX stuff.

gjamestgirlfan
03-25-2007, 02:42 PM
I saw that movie in Dublin as just spent a week with Nadia a tgirl i met in a dating site, hehe, and we have been emailing and chatting on phone for a year and sorted out a week stay in ireland as she is from usa and im from england and unfortuntely no half way point, we stayed lovely apartment which i paid most for, as to make up for price difference in getting there, anyway we went to see this 300 together and we both loved it, i thought was a very good film.
A guy break danced before the film wow hehe, vicki that sounds some kinda place that watch films get entertainment before 2, we had a rowdy bunch behind us 2, and heard a couple of comments about i was with a ladyboy, i was soo tempted to say something as Nadia lives life 24-7 as a woman and has a passport and not nice for her to hear shallow people, but main thing is she loved our time together and felt i looked after her, im not loaded with cash but we got some nice food, lovely place stayed and im not great cook but i made her breakfast every morning and preparted dinners, so my 1st ever meet with a tgirl was amazing, im aiming to go and see her in usa in 2008 a long way away unfortuntely and miss eachother already, but will email etc, also another thing we do stand out as im white guy about 5 foot 8 and she is black tgirl about 6 foot tall, do get looks by some and annoyed her a bit she told me but i didnt care, i was away of but didnt make me feel like was ashamed and im pleased she saw i backed her up.
Thanks for the support and what read in here, made me away i want this for real not just to hide behind a pc.
Sorry i got into nattering there as just got back yesterday, but i loved the film, was a bit jealous that the guys in film had perfect bodies hehe, but wicked fight scenes, well worth seeing

effigyc
03-25-2007, 04:49 PM
I may be one of the few people who really didn't like the film. It looked really cool, but I found it pretty intellectually insulting. A very complicated series of events is reduced to the complexity of poridge. Pretty much, the Spartans kill brown people for an hour, give a long speech about freedom, kill more brown people, say its ok that they are all going to die because its for freedom, kill more brown people, blah blah freedom, kill brown people.

The film is very selective in the aspects of Spartan culture that it chooses to show, and reduces every thing to the lowest intellectual denominator ( Freedom and death to brown people ), and then proceedes to beat you over the head with it again, and again, and again. Did anyone else notice that every single character other than the 300 Spartans was portrayed as weak and feminine.

I know the film is based on a comic book, but it lends itself very, VERY easily towards being right wing propaghanda. It will undoubtably be used as such by the likes of Rush Limbaugh.

hondarobot
03-25-2007, 05:54 PM
I just saw this yesterday. Not bad at all, but not a great movie in my opinion. I think I would have liked it better if it had transposed, say, amazonian warrior women instead of Spartan men. Too many bronze age bow flex bodies marching around for me.

A lot of the movie is pretty much just slow motion charging and the resulting slow motion stabbing, but that's pretty much how a battle like that would play out.

My favorite part was when they reveal the little goblin-like guys new "uniform". That was one bad ass hat. I honestly laughed out loud at that part, it was awesome.

But yeah, not bad. I'll have seen Hills Have Eyes 2 by tuesday, and I have high hopes for that one. We shall see.

BlackAdder
03-25-2007, 06:02 PM
High hopes for Hills Have Eyes 2???

Er...okay.

spedius
03-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Hi all,

I've been reading this thread with great interest and I'm looking forward to getting hold of "300" when it comes out on DVD in the UK.

Here are a few key words, for those of you who might be interested in the historical background, to look up, Darius, Marathon, Salamis & Platae.

Here are three books which you may find to be of interest: "The Lion of Sparta" by John Burke, "Tell Them In Sparta" by Roderick Milton and "The Year of Salamis 480-479 BC" by Peter Green. It is possible to find second hand copies of these books through http://www.addall.com/ .

Have fun. :D

Spedius

hondarobot
03-25-2007, 10:00 PM

Er...okay.

I think it will be highly entertaining. I liked the original Hills Have Eyes, I liked the remake just as much. I thought having the mutants being the descendents of people who lived on nuclear tests sites was an interesting twist, made it a class warfare kinda theme.

The sequal of the remake has national guards people vs more mutants (apparently ones who have de-evolved into living strictly in the old mine shafts). I'm not expecting Citizen Kane, but it should be a fun way to kill 90 minutes.

So there. :P

crayons
03-25-2007, 10:42 PM
I personally hated this film. It was a lifeless imitation and mockery of one of the greatest stories in Western Civilization. It was a cartoonish arrogant statement on the advancement of CGI. I hated the slow-motion action and the whole "THIS IS SPAARRRTTA" spit fire screams from men who use nair. It's so obvious Hollywood has no more brainpower or talent when they keep re-making films and drawing their pictures of comic books. It's a disgrace really.

chefmike
03-25-2007, 10:50 PM

Er...okay.

LMFAO...

I have high hopes for 'Snakes On A Plane 2'....

hondarobot
03-25-2007, 11:01 PM

Er...okay.

LMFAO...

This wacko troll is still around? The best part is that he is obviously so pathetic that virtual no-one, certainly not any girls, even bothers paying attention to this loser anymore.

Why don't you try to flame me by posting my old posts? You do realize that only makes you more creepy. You probably spend your days in a shabby retirement center home, printing out my posts and taping them to your walls, then stalking me on this forum and trying to make friends in the only social enviroment you have.

Sad.

chefmike
03-25-2007, 11:07 PM

Er...okay.

LMFAO...

This wacko troll is still around? The best part is that he is obviously so pathetic that virtual no-one, certainly not any girls, even bothers paying attention to this loser anymore.

Why don't you try to flame me by posting my old posts? You do realize that only makes you more creepy. You probably spend your days in a shabby retirement center home, printing out my posts and taping them to your walls, then stalking me on this forum and trying to make friends in the only social enviroment you have.

Sad.

Azanti
03-26-2007, 03:33 AM
Saw it tonight.

God that bad guy King was so gay, talk about 'Knee before me and take it up the arse!'

Bearing in mind it was a film of the COMIC and not history. I liked it. More dialogue would have been good and the ending was a little Braveheartish. David Wenham is a first rate actor.

eliza
03-27-2007, 12:24 AM
300 is based in a true facts..but in fucking hollywood style

Jericho
03-27-2007, 01:20 AM
Liked it when the queen stabbed that fukker, "This is will not be over quickly...You will not enjoy this...I am not your queen" :shock: