View Full Version : Black Sabbath

dreamer
03-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Okay --I dunno -------I am a life long fan

I saw someome say that James Hetfield was their hero

OZZY OSBOURNE is one of my heros ---I really like Geezer Butler

I am a musician

I think that Iommi and Butler are people to inspire influence -----

these two GOD SENDS ---have been haunting my soul since I turned over at 12 ----my older brother bought me SOLD OUR SOUL FOR ROCK'N ROLL

and god damn ---

I dunno ----

chefmike
03-06-2007, 10:42 PM
I think that 'paranoid' is a groundbreaking classic...but that's their only album that I would listen to if I wanted to hear Sabbath...

I caught 'em live in Seattle back in the day...Ozzy was gone...but it was a good show...and so was the blotter, as I recall... :wink: 8)

dreamer
03-06-2007, 10:49 PM
"so it was the blotter"???

North_of_60
03-06-2007, 10:55 PM
I like most of Sabbath's material, from the early years to the 80's.
"Zero the hero" with Gilian at voice does it for me.
"Sweat Leaf" on Master of reality is my favorite.

dreamer
03-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Oh mang ---what about LIVE EVIL ---or DEHUMANIZER ---how about CROSS PURPOSES ----I dunno man ----Tony Iommi has managed a pretty solid foundation ----well maybe I should have named this thread TONY IOMMI ----dude --the man is like god

I dunno --the whole legacy behind Iommi/Butler/Ward / Osbourne ----Dio ---Appice ---Martin --Gillen ---Hughes ---Cozy Powell ---

I dunno man ----Iommi ---Butler ---like Paige and John Paul Jones

North_of_60
03-06-2007, 11:12 PM
I work with lots of young metal fans. Some of them are nearly ten years old. I tell you : Black Sabbath is alive.

dreamer
03-06-2007, 11:13 PM
I dunno --if you have the means --

download the song KISS OF DEATH

from Black Sabbath

that is 1995 ----jesus --already 12 years old ---

peggygee
03-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Just these two, and I was done. http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/base_image.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/base_image2.jpg

Dino Velvet
03-06-2007, 11:18 PM
I saw someome say that James Hetfield was their hero

You mean that Black Sabbath is Hetfield's hero?

Sabbath had a Hell of a run. Their first six albums with Ozzy were great. Dio had two amazing studio albums plus LIVE EVIL which is very good. Purple Sabbath(Ian Gillan on vocals) gets bashed but I loved Born Again. Ray Gillen joined the band and put out a great demo but things didn't work out. He was replaced by Tony Martin who performed on some good tracks. Dio even snuck back into the picture in 1992 with Dehumanizer which is pretty good.

Black Sabbath has reunited again with Ozzy, Iommi, Butler, and I believe even Bill Ward is back for another album and tour. It's funny because there is also a band named Heaven And Hell with Dio, Iommi, Butler, and Ward. So basically there is now 2 Black Sabbaths. Things could change very quickly though and might have already.

http://music.yahoo.com/ar-268114-news--Black-Sabbath

dreamer
03-06-2007, 11:23 PM
oh my god but NO -------okay ---for the ladies ---downloag FLUFF from 1975 --or Laguna Sunrise from 1972 -----ORRRRR Sabbra Cadabbra from again --1975 -----yeah --------Black Sabbath are not HEAVY ----I think SABBATH-BLOODY SABBATH is a "must have" --for all ages --few and far --

North_of_60
03-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Few hard rock (metal) groups have managed to live beyond 3 generations. Sabbath, Zeppelin... who else ?

dreamer
03-06-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm sorry dude --but if you're searching for a "perfect" album" ----seek and find Black Sabbath's SABBATH, BLOODY SABBATH ---

Dino Velvet
03-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Black Sabbath's SABBATH, BLOODY SABBATH ---

That was the first album I ever bought. Indeed, it is awesome. Keep the Sabbath lovefest going. They, IMO, are the best band of all time. Without them and Tony Iommi's chopped off fingertips, the Heavy Metal sound would not have been born.

Coroner
03-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Black Sabbath were the founders of Heavy Metal, along with Deep Purple. But Black Sabbath were exactly the first Heavy Metal band.

dreamer
03-07-2007, 12:20 AM
see? --I'm not so sure ---Zepp were before Sabb ---it's kinda strange ---believe me --I will and always love Sabbath ---but Zepp were bustin out the IMMARGENT SONG --in what --1973? -----Dazed and Confvused? ----and of course Hendrix ------even the Beatles got kinda heavy ---COME TOGETHER is a heavy tune ---there's another by McCartney that was/is heavy---I forget the name though -----as much as I love the pioneer of Sabbath ---they were not the first - -- - - -- - -or well -----wait ---yeah they were --------I llove playing WICKED WORLD ---

dreamer
03-07-2007, 12:25 AM
I just wish people would/will reognize the post DIO era ---dude ---Tont Martin ---ETERNAL IDOL --HEADLESS CROSS --tyr ---dehumanizer --cross purposes --AND forbidden

North_of_60
03-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Robert Fripp (King Crimson) came out with a very nice distorded sound in 1969's "21st century schizoid man".

dreamer
03-07-2007, 12:29 AM
http://www.iommi.com/iommi_frames.htm

dreamer
03-07-2007, 12:33 AM
I have a tape ---early early DIO ---funny stuff --he's singing LOVE POTION #9 ----stuff like that ---it's not heavy ---but it's DIO ---so in a way --it IS kinda heavy ---

DJ_Asia
03-07-2007, 12:35 AM
You cant compare Zep to Sabbath...Zep was a blues oriented rock band,while Sabbath was ...well a gloom and doom pioneer of mosr of todays metal.I personally love the Ian Gillan fronted "Born Again",while Dio's voice kinda grates a nerve a bit although Heaven and Hell is still a great album.

I love Ozzy and his current guitarist Zakk Wylde is the best guitarist on earth..check out his side project Black Label Society(check my avatar).They are my fav current heavy band.

MDinMD
03-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Steppenwolf was actually the first "heavy metal" band; their lyrics were the source of the term (as applied to music, not chemistry) from whence it was stolen by rock journalists.

But a lot of heavy metal is very heavily influenced by Sabbath, even today - and very little by Steppenwolf, at least not directly.

dreamer
03-07-2007, 12:42 AM
dude --some kid from work itroduced me to OPETH the other day ----and I am sorry ---but -in the back of my mind --I was like :look what Sabbath created' -------god damn monsters -----monsterous monsters

DJ_Asia
03-07-2007, 12:48 AM
dude --some kid from work itroduced me to OPETH the other day ----and I am sorry ---but -in the back of my mind --I was like :look what Sabbath created' -------god damn monsters -----monsterous monsters

The current form of metal is shit in my opinion.The stuff is so fast,so technical,and the vocalists all try to out "dug up from the crypt voice" each other...I much prefer the day when Slayer and Metallica were the fastest and heaviest bands around...now the bands are just simply heavy for the sake of being heavy.Lame.

Coroner
03-07-2007, 01:10 AM
Robert Fripp (King Crimson) came out with a very nice distorded sound in 1969's "21st century schizoid man".

King Crimson are the pioneers of Progressive Rock, nothing with Heavy Metal.... Led Zeppelin are the ultimate Hard/Classic Rock band. Black Sabbath were a Blues band but because their music was very experimential, they founded Heavy Metal. Many people say Jimi Hendrix was the godfather of the Heavy Metal guitar..... and to Steppenwolf: they are Stoner Rock. It´s thought that the term Heavy Metal goes back to their song Born to Be Wild and here´s the verse where Heavy Metal is mentioned:

"I like smoke and lightning
Heavy metal thunder
Racin' with the wind
And the feelin' that I'm under"

Another version is that the the term Heavy Metal was taken from William Borrough´s book The Soft Machine from 1962 with the protagonost Uranian Willy, the Heavy Metal Kid. But here a part from his second book from 1964:

"With their diseases and orgasm drugs and their sexless parasite life forms — Heavy Metal People of Uranus wrapped in cool blue mist of vaporized bank notes — And the Insect People of Minraud with metal music" (Burroughs, William S. (1964): Nova Express)

skyler
03-07-2007, 01:13 AM
all the stuff with ozzy n dio were great! got too see them @ ozzfest a cpl yrs back they kicked ass! :!:

chefmike
03-07-2007, 01:22 AM
Zepp II is one of the best albums ever...

But if you aren't hip to 'The Last Waltz', the best concert film ever, directed by M. Scorcese...

And no...it's not metal...BTW- it does include the best live performance of Clapton that I have ever seen...back when he still played the blues...

dreamer
03-07-2007, 01:36 AM
I dunno ---sometimes I like it heavy ---like Testament's DEMONIC --(whoh nellie) ------but ya know? -----sometimes you just must

relax ---and put Sabbath's SABOTAGE --back in the player

don't you just love this shit we call music? ---it's certainly a distinctive part of each and of own's preference

and which is why I implore

Black Sabbath ---SABBATH. BLOODY SABBATH

dreamer
03-07-2007, 01:42 AM
axtually ---I have TESTAMENT playing right now ---from the album LOW

Coroner
03-07-2007, 01:50 AM
Testament are good but only in their old days, the "Practice What You Preach" era.

I´m a thrasher will death.

dreamer
03-07-2007, 01:53 AM
okay ---I am evrywhere ---talking Sabb ----but I have Testament playing ---dude --metal is alive and crazy ----there are types of metal -----I will admit that my taste is of ordinary visionary ---but yeah --------today's metal --the very little I know of it ----it does

EMBRACE THE WORLD
OF SUFFERING

I like the way they sing about today

Coroner
03-07-2007, 01:57 AM
I´m mostly into the 80ies and early 90ies Thrash and Death Metal (only technical Death). Other kinds of Metal I love are Progressive, Neo-classical and Heavy Metal of course. Metal will survive!

TJT
03-07-2007, 02:31 AM
If you saw the MC5 in their heyday,they were heavy metal before it was called that. Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes were in the same time frame,'68/'69,and the Blue Oyster Cult was forming circa '69/'70.

It's funny but all those bands( and the Stooges,too) were on the Detroit club circuit about the same time? Weren't a lot of categories then,it was just rock n' roll.

If you really want to go early you can argue for Dick Dale and the Del-Tones or Link Wray and the Wraymen as proto-metal.

The Ramones both killed and saved metal. Ended 20 minute bass solos,but revived the tight hard two minute song. And they were a Punk band. ;)

Dino Velvet
03-07-2007, 06:13 AM
I have a tape ---early early DIO ---funny stuff --he's singing LOVE POTION #9 ----stuff like that ---it's not heavy ---but it's DIO ---so in a way --it IS kinda heavy ---

Here's some old pics of Dio, and I mean old. I swear it's him. :lol:

Dino Velvet
03-07-2007, 06:14 AM
A few more

olite71
03-07-2007, 07:04 AM
"Heavy metal is the ultimate in phoney rebellion, the logical and boring exaggeration of rock’n’roll as the music to make our parents angry, just as a logical and boring heat death of the universe may be the ultimate result of the original Big Bang. Heavy metal combines blues-based rock with the portentous doom of progressive pop; it is the loudest music of all; it uses the imagery of vaguely Viking mythical heroes, like the trashy children’s cartoon ‘He-man’: the artwork heroes ripple with muscles, while heavy metal’s guitar heroes are often skinny weeds. Or the HM bands promote images of devil worship, suicide and even Nazism, showing a paucity of any values at all. Yet heavy metal’s largely working-class audience is curiously well behaved; the male fans at the concert-as-ritual are succoured by the phallic symbolism of the guitar hero, the females content to play their supportive roles, and all go back to work on Monday morning feeling as though they have rebelled. The cost of their cheap rebellion is that when they are older, they will find that their hearing has been damaged.

Vanilla Fudge’s gimmick in the USA in the 1960s was playing pop covers very slowly, for listeners who were stoned. Deep Purple began as British Fudge imitators; Grand Funk and Mountain carried on in the USA; Britain’s Black Sabbath started the sword-and-sorcery nonsense, and Charles Shaar Murray points out that if the Sabs had not been so loud that they took your head off, it would have been obvious that they were not very good. Some of these ponderous giants made so much money that they stopped playing or went into tax exile, hence the New Wave of British Heavy Metal: Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, Saxon. ‘Heavy metal is the basic rock and roll message,’ said John Swenson of Rock World. ‘The least sophisticated kid can get as much out of it as its dedicated followers.’ There is no arguing with that."

---Donald Clarke, The Rise and Fall of Popular Music.

gimmeurblood
03-07-2007, 07:23 AM
[quote="dreamer"]I dunno ---sometimes I like it heavy ---like Testament's DEMONIC

awesome testament...my old band opened for them at jaxx in VA on my 22nd birthday. the extreme underground is where all the good metal is nowadays...yay to me for going to see celtic frost in may

CORVETTEDUDE
03-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Sabbath is my favorite band!!!! The first(but not last) time I saw them was in an Opera house in Bergen, Norway(1970). We were flyin' on Strawberry Fields and Red Lebonese Hash, we had scored at "The Haus" in Copenhagen. We partied with the band after the concert. Iommi knew the Norwegian guy we were visiting. Ozzy wasn't the 'Frantic Freak' he has become over the years. My favorite tracks: N.I.B., Iron Man, War Pigs, Children of the Grave and Sweat Leaf. BLACK SABBATH ROCKS!!!!! :rock2 :rock2 :rock2 :rock2 :rock2

dreamer
03-07-2007, 09:13 AM
I can't believe you found those old pictures of Ronnie James!! ---that is awesome!! -----that bass guitar is about as tall as HE is!!! --heheh

Elf were/are awesome ---CAROLINA COUNTY BALL ---TRYING TO BURN THE SUN ---awesome stuff

and I can't believe that other guy opened for Testament!!! -----talk about a step in the right direction!! ---holy mother ----

Sabbath are Gods ------I spoke with Iommi at an Ozzfest CD signing booth ----I dunno ---I blurted out 20 years of fanmanship --in like 15 seconds ---the man was afraid of me!!! ----

dreamer
03-07-2007, 09:20 AM
yeah ---the last Ozzfest I went to (the one where I frightened Iommi) ----Sabbath opened up with the song AFTER FOREVER ---I swear --I almost had a heart attack --I was so excited ----but then they went through their usual set list ----it was still great to see them together ----

on that LAST SUPPER CD ---they do A NATIONAL ACROBAT live ---when I first heard it ---I had tears in my eyes ---came out perfect ---

qeuqheeg222
03-07-2007, 10:32 AM
yeah deede i love you sweet leaf.....

goldtop
03-07-2007, 12:04 PM
You guys should try some bands like Nile and Mastodon.

Coroner
03-07-2007, 03:55 PM

:lol: Nile are sick, seen them two times here in Vienna, they´re all except one guitarist looking like some midgets. I knew Karl Sanders before, because he played in several bands till he joined Nile. He´s always with his notebook at the gigs making some old egyptian sounds to the usual brutal Death Metal they´re playing. They´re technically really a great band. I used to watch Origin two weeks ago, another brutal Death Metal band with a artillery drummer. They´re similar to Nile but without that egyptian thing.

Mastodon are sludgers, I hate those new bands with their short hairs and other stupid hair styles and that "new sound". I´m old school :lol:

Long hair, deep sneakers, tight jeans and patches on, that´s me yeah :lol:

dreamer
03-10-2007, 05:41 PM
HEY HEY ---bought two tickets yesterday ---PUMPED!!! ----

follow this link ---the new song THE DEVIL CRIED --is there ---

maybe all you people that responded to this topic --can share your thoughts on this new song ----

http://www.geezerbutler.com/

ragendude
03-15-2007, 07:14 AM
For the simple fact that they basically Pioneered the Genre, recording the first album on a 4 track. It was like nothing the world had ever heard before, evil, wicked and heavier than anything that had come before. Geezer Butler is one of the greatest metal bass players of all time (along with Steve Harris, Ciff Burton and a few more) Iommi was visionary but not "god"- he made too many mistakes in the personel dept to be a God, letting his ego get in the way. His on again off again tiffs with Ronnie James Dio are the best example.
I have some internet bootlegs of the Sabbath tour when Ronnie got fired or Quit from the dehumanizer tour where Rob Halford (the greatest singer in Metal history)is singing for them at the LA shows!! Awesome! People forget that Besides Ian Gillan, Tony Martin and the extremely short run of Ray Gillen (check out the Shining - killer Sabbath Song) Glen Hughes from Deep Purple sang with Sabbath. All time favorites for me are The Wizard, Fairies wear boots, Changes (shows a very different side of BS), and the Automatic throw your horns up N.I.B..........look into my eyes you'll see who I am

but honestly the novelty of the Tour with Dio is cool but Sabath has a reunion every 2-3 years and its kind of a joke...The owe so much to OZZy for Reuniting at the OZZ fest 17 million times Geriatric Metal cmon

if you like BS check out Rainbow with Dio
Never forget the MC5

gimmeurblood
03-15-2007, 07:23 AM

nile and mastodon are both sick, ive met karl a couple times once on the back seeds tour and onceon the annilation of the wicked tour. just amazing live. and for something a little more chill give niles mainman Karl Sanders solo cd Saurian Meditation, simply beautiful

gimme some good old celtic frost or darkthrone

Dino Velvet
04-02-2007, 01:21 AM
My favorite Sabbath singers are Ozzy and Dio. It's like apples and oranges and I just can't pick a #1 favorite. Ian Gillan was on Born Again which was a great album. I wish they would have done another album with Ian. But I feel Tony Martin never gets his due as a great singer. Tony has an outstanding voice and sings on some great tracks. I'll put up a few. Tell me what you think. I know most people like Ozzy and Dio better so try to judge these songs on their own.

Tony Martin Collection:
Black Sabbath - Headless Cross
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90mZThOY_8k

Black Sabbath - The Shining
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrwDzm774mM

Black Sabbath - When Death Calls(Live Moscow 1989)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhKQbjIzcnQ&mode=related&search=

Black Sabbath - Feels Good To Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xyQBxy5glE

Black Sabbath - Virtual Death
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n__UxCbxM7A

Black Sabbath - Get a Grip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfqMcwrOlZI

Tony Martin Sings Some Dio Sabbath Songs(Live Moscow 1989)
Black Sabbath - Children Of The Sea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4E_yrILHcM

Black Sabbath - Die Young
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hh_RyyRRqw

Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXYFqbfkrrE

Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeDYU0jOWfo&mode=related&search=

Just a reminder; Black Sabbath: The Dio Years goes on sale this Tuesday which includes the 3 new songs. For the LA members on this board, Heaven And Hell will be at The Forum on April 25. See 'ya there.

http://www.heavenandhelllive.com/img/main.jpg

chefmike
04-02-2007, 02:32 AM
I can't believe that I heard someone mention the MC5....you know your shit, bro...

And another thing....Sabbath's 'Paranoid'...which is the only Sabbath album that I really ever gave a shit about... or wanted to listen to...

So anyway....'Paranoid' is an incredibly adrenaline producing album...for whatever reason you need it...IMO it's the best album for working out ever....but Led Zep II also comes to mind...retro, baby...

TJT
04-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks.The MC5 were one of the bands that shaped my youth. I had cousins in Detroit who put me on to them at the time.

Back to Sabbath. About a year ago I was going through some old airchecks and interviews that were in storage at a radio station our company bought. There was one of Ozzy circa 1980. He was lucid and logical. It was shocking to hear compared to the droning,mumbling,brain damaged man he is today.

If these anti-drug folks wanted to make a real impact they'd splice excerpts of video from Ozzy talking 25-30 years ago in with his stuff from "The Osbournes". It's disturbing.

Coroner
04-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Dio and Iommi reunited for a new Black Sabbath record...... again :lol:

dreamer
04-03-2007, 10:20 PM
dude --i went to go buy the DIO YEARS ---TODAY --April 3rd ----and the sons of guns didn't HAVE the son of a gun!!!!!!! -- FYE

Taom
04-03-2007, 10:26 PM
sabbath, be it with ozzy or dio was a big part of my youth. gotta love em.

side note, i love black label society, one of my favorite bands.

i went to see the merry mayhem tour in 01. ozzy and rob zombie were co-headlining it. i won't go into the whole story, it gets quite long, but watching ozzy with zakk wylde was damn near a religious experience.

Dino Velvet
04-03-2007, 11:16 PM
dude --i went to go buy the DIO YEARS ---TODAY --April 3rd ----and the sons of guns didn't HAVE the son of a gun!!!!!!! -- FYE

Best Buy should have it. Try there this afternoon or tonight.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8284493&st=Black+Sabbath&lp=12&type=product&cp=1&id=1628345

dreamer
04-03-2007, 11:19 PM
aw wow --I really don't know where to begin ---YES --my youth ----WOW --my currentn day -----these guys kill me ---just go and listen to LIVE EVIL ---it's funny ---my friend lent disc II to my other friend ---and I waslike "_____: about the whole ting ----my god ma -----what compares to Iommi Butler Appice Dio --------even these RUSH fans have to sigh ---

Dino Velvet
04-04-2007, 04:14 AM
aw wow --I really don't know where to begin ---YES --my youth ----WOW --my currentn day -----these guys kill me ---just go and listen to LIVE EVIL ---it's funny ---my friend lent disc II to my other friend ---and I waslike "_____: about the whole ting ----my god ma -----what compares to Iommi Butler Appice Dio --------even these RUSH fans have to sigh ---

Who do you listen too?

Dino Velvet
10-05-2007, 05:22 AM
Huge thread bump.

All you Sabbath fans out there need to get the new Heaven And Hell DVD. I have it and it's even better than I had hoped. I will probably wear this DVD out like I wore out my LIVE EVIL cassette tape back in High School.

If you don't march into your local Best Buy and demand Heaven & Hell: Live from Radio City Music Hall, you're all foooooooolz... cuz this DVD rulz!!! :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8478523&st=Heaven+%26+Hell%3A+Live+from+Radio+City+Music+H all&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1657359

CORVETTEDUDE
10-05-2007, 05:36 AM
There is talk of Ozzie doing OZZFEST and immediately doing a Black Sabbath Tour right behind it. That, could kill the "Master of Reality"! I've been into Sabbath for 39 Years, this month. Now, that's a lifer! I was killing "Charlie" to Black Sabbath, back in the days.

Dino Velvet
10-05-2007, 05:47 AM
There is talk of Ozzie doing OZZFEST and immediately doing a Black Sabbath Tour right behind it. That, could kill the "Master of Reality"! I've been into Sabbath for 39 Years, this month. Now, that's a lifer! I was killing "Charlie" to Black Sabbath, back in the days.

Ozzy is supposed to be back with Iommi, Butler, and possibly Bill Ward. I'm not sure what is exactly in their plans. As good as Dio sounds still, the bar has been set pretty high for Ozzy. I'd be happy with Sabbath staying in the Heaven And Hell incarnation with Dio as the permanent frontman and Vinny Appice on drums. I liked all 3 of the new songs and I think there is great potential for more new material.

CORVETTEDUDE, do you have the new DVD?

memyself
10-05-2007, 10:13 AM
black sabth ..... whats not to like

youcancallmeclaire
10-05-2007, 09:26 PM
If anyone here is into Doom Metal, let me know.
I would love to have some doom-head friends to chat with.

mbf
10-05-2007, 09:35 PM

as a teenager I used to be into Saint Vitus, Melvins, Sleep (the band AND the activity) and my most fav - Neurosis

long gone are the days of pimple-face-metal-head-me :lol:

cockcraver
10-05-2007, 09:42 PM
not really into his music but ozzie is a legend! but if ur thinking of doing herion watch the osbournes

InHouston
10-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Black Sabbath was the first rock & roll music I was exposed to as a child. I thought the song Black Sabbath was awesome. I was about 7 years old, and didn't know what the lyrics were about, but fully appreciated the music.

D'yer Mak'er
10-06-2007, 10:38 AM

I'm into it.
Electric Wizard is my all-time favorite doom band, and I can't wait for their new album to come out (Nov. 20)

Lately I've been into The River, Mael Mordha, and the new Church of Misery cd

dreamer
10-06-2007, 11:12 PM
I have a copy of a Church of Misery CD ---and YES!!!! ---I like it ----I have heard OF Electric Wizard ---never heard them though (WELL GET ON IT ALREADY!) ------I feel that Solitude Aeturnus is beyond any doom band --

Black Sabbath ----Ozzy Osbourne --Tony Iommi ---Geezer Butler --and Mr. Bill Ward ------3 of these four formentioned names -may be 3 of the most recognized names in music history

I will buy the Heaven and hHell DVD ----I was not big on the three new Dio songs ---they were good ---but they weren't DEHUMANIZER ---not at all ---they sounded rushed --quick ---easy ------my opinion -----

what I REALLY want ---is for Geezer and Iommi to continue their solo projects with Glenn Hughes (Iommi) and Clark Brown (Geezer) ------FUSED and the 1996 DOP was/is/are immortal! -----and all 3 of Geezer's solo works have been insane!! ---completely insane ----at this point --in MY career ---I could care less about any new material from the originals ----I just wanna hear more/new solo works

jamesb121
10-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Just listening to Gov't Mule playing War Pigs live at the new year atlanta concert 1999.

I would go so far as to say its is THE definitive version of the song.

Whos with me?

iebwnj
10-07-2007, 09:48 PM
----my god ma -----what compares to Iommi Butler Appice Dio -----------

Bruce Dickinson, Steve Harris, Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, and Nicko McBrain :D

manbearpig
10-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Black Sabbath = greatest part of the Iron Man trailer

youcancallmeclaire
10-12-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm into it.
Electric Wizard is my all-time favorite doom band, and I can't wait for their new album to come out (Nov. 20)

Awesome!

I like My Dying Bride, Morgion, Draconian, Nortt, Unholy, Shape of Despair, Forest of Shadows... etc.

Zaraza has a great industrial sounding blend of doom that I like alot. It's so sinister and gritty.

Before Vivendi bought MP3.com I used to find all sorts of good, free doom there. It has been such a long time since I have gotten anything new in the genre... last one I got was the new MDB.

I am trying to find some info on the bands you mentioned. I have only ever heard of Electric Wizard before.

D'yer Mak'er
10-15-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm into it.

Awesome!

I like My Dying Bride, Morgion, Draconian, Nortt, Unholy, Shape of Despair, Forest of Shadows... etc.

Zaraza has a great industrial sounding blend of doom that I like alot. It's so sinister and gritty.

Before Vivendi bought MP3.com I used to find all sorts of good, free doom there. It has been such a long time since I have gotten anything new in the genre... last one I got was the new MDB.

I am trying to find some info on the bands you mentioned. I have only ever heard of Electric Wizard before.

Mm you dig the more melodramatic death/funeral style of doom.
I'm not into much of it, I prefer doom with groove, especially a good stoner groove.

www.myspace.com/doomriver
fairly traditional doom from the UK, just loud and heavy as can be, droning even, they have a female vocalist

www.myspace.com/maelmordha
they are celtic/gaelic doom, the vocalist has a huge irish accent that could easily turn you off, but otherwise pretty epic stuff

www.myspace.com/churchofserialkiller
japanese stoner doom, all of their songs are named/about serial killers. Electric Wizard is my favorite doom band, but CoM comes in at second

youcancallmeclaire
10-17-2007, 02:22 AM
www.myspace.com/maelmordha
they are celtic/gaelic doom, the vocalist has a huge irish accent that could easily turn you off, but otherwise pretty epic stuff

Well, my whole family pretty much is of Irish descent, so it doesn't bother me. I actually listen to some Irish folk artists.

Do you mean epic as in.. dragons and white stallions, or epic as in suicidally intense sorrow?

Either way, I'll give it a listen. :)

youcancallmeclaire
10-17-2007, 02:57 AM
Mm you dig the more melodramatic death/funeral style of doom.
I'm not into much of it, I prefer doom with groove, especially a good stoner groove.

Church of Misery was pretty cool. :) It has a really unique sound, especially the guitar. It has that tubey CKY kind of feel, except way more sinister.

I really couldn't stand the vocals in Doom River. Maybe if the mix was better... I'm usually really into lo-fi recordings, but she just sounds like she really isn't feeling it.

Mael Mordha had no music on their page, so I can't really say anything about them. :/

And yes, I'm really really into the slowest, most depressing doom available. I come from a place where 40 degrees below zero isn't uncommon and alot of the music I listen to reflects that cold kind of lifelessness.

If you have any more suggestions though, I'd love to hear them. :)

Rod la Rod
10-17-2007, 03:26 AM
I saw Black Sabbath with a fairly young Ozzie Osbourne at
Cal Jam 1 in the Ontario Speedway in 1974. Out of the many bands that were there including Deep Purple-with Ritchie Blackmore, Black Oak Arks, Eagles, ELP etc. Black Sabbath blew them all off the stage.

BTW I was 14 at the time. Any of you old geezers at that show?

D'yer Mak'er
10-17-2007, 03:33 PM
My apologies to all, the actual link to Mael Morha is www.myspace.com/maelmorda

Church of Misery was pretty cool. :) It has a really unique sound, especially the guitar. It has that tubey CKY kind of feel, except way more sinister.

I really couldn't stand the vocals in Doom River. Maybe if the mix was better... I'm usually really into lo-fi recordings, but she just sounds like she really isn't feeling it.

Mael Mordha had no music on their page, so I can't really say anything about them. :/

And yes, I'm really really into the slowest, most depressing doom available. I come from a place where 40 degrees below zero isn't uncommon and alot of the music I listen to reflects that cold kind of lifelessness.

Admittedly, Vicky's vocals are acquired taste. I didn't like them at first, but since I was very into their music, I gradually got used to them after repeated listens.
I'm glad you were into CoM. They have done killer covers of Blue Oyster Cult's "Cities on Flame" and Iron Butterfly's "In-a-gadda-da-vida."

Actually, this is totally the opposite of a recommendation, but has anybody heard Sleep? I'm really digging what I've heard from High on Fire and wanted to see if their roots were worth getting into.

Oh HELL yes.
Sleep's Jerusalem/Dopesmoker was massive, and Holy Mountain was pretty badass. High On Fire just put out a new album, it's good stuff.

D'yer Mak'er
10-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Also claire, I know you're into My Dying Bride, have you heard Tiamat, Katatonia, Pantheist, and Paradise Lost?

Night Rider
10-17-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm not really into that sort of music but katatonia are really good :) think theyre welsh though which is a bit of a handicap :)

dreamer
04-09-2008, 06:38 AM
OH YOU'VE BEEN TWISTED INTO PIECES

BY THE HANDS OF YOUR EMOTIONS

HOW MUCH LONGER ARE YOU GONNA PAY

FOR YESTERDAY

the city can feel no shame.....................

take a look at the world

you've got electric eyes.......................

dreamer
04-09-2008, 06:46 AM
SO YOU THINK YOU KNOW

WHAT'S GOING ON INSIDE HER HEAD

YA THINK SHE WANTS YOUR MONEY

BUT IT'S YOU --SHE WANTS INSTEAD

pertymuch
04-09-2008, 06:52 AM
Children of the Grave hands down my favorite Sabbath song. I agree Sabbath-Bloody Sabbath is a must have for all

dreamer
04-09-2008, 06:55 AM
may sound strange ---but PLANET CARAVAN ---is a wonderful song ---you read the lyrics --and it's so simple -----same as IRON MAN --or ELECTRIC FUNERAL ---but they were/are pioneers ---first of their kind ----------you open up PARANOID the vinyl album ---and you see the four of them -----and it's like ----even though Ozzy was like 20 years old ---he reeks ---he was older than me now ---then ---

dreamer
04-09-2008, 06:58 AM
I really like CHILDREN OF THE GRAVE --on the LIVE EVIL album ---Ronnie James -----aw hell ---the whole thing came out great --Iommi/butler/Appice/Dio

Clind
04-09-2008, 03:08 PM
i was always bigger fan of Led Zeppelin ,i liked the pshycelic influence in their music ,but its it s a few years now that slowly i ve started to change and that happends even to my musicla taste,Now i believe that Black Sabbath likes me more and specially the FANTASTIC song
"PLANET CARAVAN"