PDA

View Full Version : help/advice on buying a camcorder?

cantona5
03-04-2007, 10:19 AM
hope i am alright asking this type of question in this area? i guess i'll soon find out
i'm going to buy a camcorder but just need some advice of some people who know what they are talking about as i know very little.
the only thing i have pretty much decided on is i would prefer a hard drive version and i like the look of the jvc range. I'm looking at spending £200-£350 ($360-$640). now i know a fair bit about digital cameras especially the pixels etc, but it seems to me the pixel issue with camcorders doesn't seem to matter so much unless taking still photos - is that right?
any help would be appreciated

qeuqheeg222
03-04-2007, 10:26 AM
im a little curios here because i noticed some websites had expressed a need for photographers/videographers with connections to the tg community..i know quite a few ts and was interested in gettin into the photo thing.

cantona5
03-04-2007, 10:41 AM
never actually thought of that - mind you i haven't many (any!) connections there!

BlackAdder
03-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Just dont buy an HP anything...

Go with JVC or Sony, theres plenty of models in that price range...

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
03-04-2007, 11:11 AM
dude if I can give you 'out of the norm' advice

http://www.slashphone.com/uploads/4214/nokia_n93_live_1.jpg

this might not seem like much to you, but consider this

Nokia's N93 is not only a bad ass cellphone/multimedia device it's also an actual camcorder, think about the simplicity of plugging it into your pc equipment, downloading whatever you filmed, and editing right away

just a thought

GroobySteven
03-04-2007, 11:58 AM
I've always used Sony - I don't know what is in that price range but if you can get a Sony Mini-DV camera you should be happy.
seanchai

hwbs
03-04-2007, 03:42 PM
i would look at cnet.com, if u are looking for reviews on a certain product.

cantona5
03-05-2007, 10:54 AM
thanks for the replies and info everyone;
i have looked on cnet now thanks (thanks h/w buckstrap) and they too recommend sony (thanks seanchai) - they look reasonably priced too, so i think i should go with them
thanks again