PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been in a Racist Situation?

MrsKellyPierce
02-18-2007, 01:06 AM
What happened?

I think the only time I was in one..was when this crazy old lady at the grocery store, started giving me dirty looks, so I automatically assumed oh she clocked me until she said you nasty croation lol I was like excuse me and she said back in her accent you nasty filthy croation..I replied ma'am I beg your pardon but I am caucasion and puerto rican..then she yelled at me calling me a liar and said get out of her face you nasty croation..which I did but yeah thats the only time I've been in one..anyone else?

scorpion
02-18-2007, 01:42 AM
Yes this shit happens. Its not unusal in harbours. Specialy not in the muslim countrys. There have been many times trouble whit the dockworkers and the crews of the ship and also between the command and port director.
Its not unusual in Africans contrys eigter.
The racism aren always coming from the white people.. I think..(this is my personal mind) that the arabs are the most racist people i have meet.
But I have only been in big trouble once..In Hamburg.
Mee and some friends came in diskusion whit some skinheads out side a club a late night. After the diskusion we split up and I was almost in front of my car when they come back again...They hit mee to the ground and kick mee.. Im not sure how many they was but I guess 5-7. they scream NIGGERLOVER to mee when they continue kicking.
The only thing i think about was to protect my head. I have a thick lether jacket on mee this evning I think this one protect mee a lot.
Finaly there come some people runing to help mee so they disapear.
I was real blue markt after but nothing serius...but a hell of a scaring experience
I was sure about they should kill mee

North_of_60
02-18-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm a native... I've learned to get by.

BrendaQG
02-18-2007, 01:59 AM
The most common racist situation I have had to deal with is other black people who say I am not "black enough". Not black enough because I don't talk like a southerner and I like to read.

LG
02-18-2007, 01:59 AM
Racism...

Happened to me a few times mostly in foreign countries, even in Europe, because despite being white, I tend to look foreign wherever I go. Sometimes it's just being stared at, other times people might whisper and often I will understand because I know their language. Usually it's things like being patronised and treated like a little kid. You know, it is possible to be too polite.

I've seen worse happening to other people- blacks, Asians and Muslims, both in my country and elsewhere and I see it happening all the time in pubs and clubs and at football grounds. Sometimes the people doing it aren't out to hurt anyone, but often the objects of their racism end up having their feelings hurt if nothing else..

Quinn
02-18-2007, 02:15 AM
Plenty of times. Having traveled fairly extensively, I’ve come to the unfortunate conclusion that racism is more of an international norm than an exception. It’s been my experience that racial biases are more firmly engrained in East Asia (Intra-East Asian) than anywhere else.

-Quinn

jowwor
02-18-2007, 02:25 AM
Yes this shit happens. Its not unusal in harbours. Specialy not in the muslim countrys. There have been many times trouble whit the dockworkers and the crews of the ship and also between the command and port director.
Its not unusual in Africans contrys eigter.
The racism aren always coming from the white people.. I think..(this is my personal mind) that the arabs are the most racist people i have meet.
But I have only been in big trouble once..In Hamburg.
Mee and some friends came in diskusion whit some skinheads out side a club a late night. After the diskusion we split up and I was almost in front of my car when they come back again...They hit mee to the ground and kick mee.. Im not sure how many they was but I guess 5-7. they scream NIGGERLOVER to mee when they continue kicking.
The only thing i think about was to protect my head. I have a thick lether jacket on mee this evning I think this one protect mee a lot.
Finaly there come some people runing to help mee so they disapear.
I was real blue markt after but nothing serius...but a hell of a scaring experience
I was sure about they should kill mee
I can very much subscribe to this, Scorpion... I'm not a sailor like yourself, but I have experienced almost the same... I don't like telling the story, so I wouldn't... But thanks for bringing it up, Kelly...

But to me it is sort of non-specific to race... We are all lost in this superior/victim paradigm... I of course realize that certain peoples have been unjustly dominated by other groups, but being that I am anything but "politically correct" I have no quams with saying that I have called a guy from (in my case) Pakistan a fu**ing idiot, as I have people in my own country, simply because he was exactly that; an idiot... But it has nothing to do with him being from Pakistan... I think that is an important distinction... And I have too experienced racism from other "groups" simply for walking down the street in a particular neighborhood... (in which I by the way lived)

Feeling that you belong to a certain race is no crime, but you have to treat everybody racially different to you with the same respect as you would people from you own family... Racism is born out of lack of information, prejudice based on that lack of information and the manifistation of ideas based on thos prejudices...

And the same goes for social status, political adherence, religious preferances and (in tune with this board) gender identity...

Treat EVERYBODY as you would like others to treat yourself, but speak up towards those that don't...

Amen... ;)

You seem like a nice person Scorpion BTW.. I appreciate that... :) You too, Kelly...

-Q-

scorpion
02-18-2007, 02:26 AM
:shock: hey there..people never change their views if they thinking like you.

muhmuh
02-18-2007, 02:50 AM
Has any progress been made since the 60's? Some.

so its going somewhere after all

Hara_Juku Tgirl
02-18-2007, 03:00 AM
Yeah..actually someone awhile ago tried making fun of me for being asian. Its lame IMO. But just like a true queen of course he wanted to have the last word..which he never ever will!! :evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PbjnXkWxhM

It's men like him that makes gurls leave this forum. :roll:

Miss Swan is funny, he is NOT!

~Kisses.

HTG

jowwor
02-18-2007, 03:02 AM
Feeling that you belong to a certain race is no crime, but you have to treat everybody racially different to you with the same respect as you would people from you own family... Racism is born out of lack of information, prejudice based on that lack of information and the manifistation of ideas based on thos prejudices...

And the same goes for social status, political adherence, religious preferances and (in tune with this board) gender identity...

Treat EVERYBODY as you would like others to treat yourself, but speak up towards those that don't...

Peace, everybody.. 8)

-Q-

MrsKellyPierce
02-18-2007, 03:03 AM
The most common racist situation I have had to deal with is other black people who say I am not "black enough". Not black enough because I don't talk like a southerner and I like to read.I find that weird? Why do you think that is, because you remind them of a "white person" or do you think there is more to it?

Kriss
02-18-2007, 03:05 AM
I take it all back. Shoulda never got involved. That guy got way out of hand.

scorpion
02-18-2007, 03:07 AM
Sorry to upset you chocolate ts freak but i think you have to opend your mind.
* No im not a black man. But I have black friends and Im also a fadder to 2 african kids
* No i havent walked a whole day in a black mans shoes. But i walk every day in a gay mans shoes
*And as i try to say earlier... You aint in a better situaton if you are white when the rasism atacks you.
* wee have to change.. not asking four others to do it if wee dont do it ourselfs... Thats what the fucking question is supposed to mean my dear
chocolate.

New postPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote
scorpion wrote:
chocolate ts freak wrote:
As a dark skinned black man, yes, my entire life. Some of us see that as a pretty dumb question considering racism isn't going anywhere and you'll never get everyone to change their views. Fucking stupid!

Shocked hey there..people never change their views if they thinking like you.

MrsKellyPierce
02-18-2007, 03:08 AM
wow. tricky subject and I swore I wouldn't post but I have to back up Chocolate TS freak on this one. I can tell Scorpion is not racist and I think he is just trying to be positive BUT TSfreak has a very real point and we have to respect that. I would not offer my experiences because as a white, middle class Englishman I come from one of the most priveliged groups on the planet. To offer my experiences may be a little offensive to people who get shit everyday just for their colour/race/etc. It is a valid question and Scorpion's views are interesting and commendable but don't be too hard on TSfreak if he's a bit angry on this topic. shit, this is a minefield, I only came in here to try and cool it out. I feel this topic has turned into drama that wasn't intended...we all have been discriminated against somewhere in our lives..I just wanted to share stories and get a common ground on why we think that and learn from it..so it will benefit us not cause arguments. LAWDY it was a question.

chefmike
02-18-2007, 03:09 AM
Excuse me!

I just don't think that it's necessary for you Negroes to be acting so UPPITY all of the time...

I mean we can't be expected to give ALL of you memberships to the country club, now can we?

After all, you know how you people tend to act up when you get together...

And we don't appreciate it when you say that we can't dance...

How would you like it if we made fun of you and your difficulties with swimming?

MrsKellyPierce
02-18-2007, 03:18 AM
The most common racist situation I have had to deal with is other black people who say I am not "black enough". Not black enough because I don't talk like a southerner and I like to read.I find that weird? Why do you think that is, because you remind them of a "white person" or do you think there is more to it?See the problem here Kelly is that when you say racism and you don't specify what type, you open a whole can of worms. And the converse of what Brenda said, being a dark skinned black man I also face discrimination from light skinned blacks. Whatch the movie "School Daze" by Spike Lee. It may open your eyes to racism within the black race. I'm also called an oreo behind my back by other blacks cause I talk like I've got an education. You know, using proper diction, things like that. Cause I don't talk like I come from the streets. And what you call anger coming form me is a firm understanding of the world I live in and who I am. We all deal with racism though, it may not sound as serious to you, but the feeling of hurt and shock is still there. I am not at all downgrading how you have been treated, I am just saying if you want understanding and sympathy to the situation..you also need understanding, sympathy, and well as empathy. And we aren't having the game ooh I've been treated worse than you lol

MrsKellyPierce
02-18-2007, 03:19 AM
Excuse me!

I just don't think that it's necessary for you Negroes to be acting so UPPITY all of the time...

I mean we can't be expected to give ALL of you memberships to the country club, now can we?

How would you like it if we made fun of you and your difficulties with swimming?See, this is the type of backhanded shit I'm talking about. but in this case considering the source, its expected. It just backs up what I said. His mission in life is to cause a commotion and get people to react..ignore him..I do.

MrsKellyPierce
02-18-2007, 03:26 AM
Sorry to upset you chocolate ts freak but i think you have to opend your mind.
* No im not a black man. But I have black friends and Im also a fadder to 2 african kids
* No i havent walked a whole day in a black mans shoes. But i walk every day in a gay mans shoes
*And as i try to say earlier... You aint in a better situaton if you are white when the rasism atacks you.
* wee have to change.. not asking four others to do it if wee dont do it ourselfs... Thats what the fucking question is supposed to mean my dear
chocolate.

New postPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote
scorpion wrote:
chocolate ts freak wrote:
As a dark skinned black man, yes, my entire life. Some of us see that as a pretty dumb question considering racism isn't going anywhere and you'll never get everyone to change their views. Fucking stupid!

Shocked hey there..people never change their views if they thinking like you.Ok, as a gay man do older white women clutch their purse when you share an elevator ride with them? Do they see you walking and go to the other side of the street? Do you hear car doors lock when you walk across the street? See, not everyome knows your gay. but they know I'm black. I know gays are discriminated against, but we go through different things. And if your not a dark skinned black man, don't try to compare what you go through to what we deal with. If my mind was so closed as you say it is, I wouldn't have made it this far in life. I agree with that statement...its the same for an unpassable transexual..they are automatically mocked, condemned, and made fun of. Being gay can be hidden in the public eye thats sexuality not appearance.

scorpion
02-18-2007, 03:33 AM
Okey...dont know what to say my englich aint god enoght four this so I back off.Sorry :oops: But I understand you chocolate ts freak but i think you are a little wrong in some of your ideas.
Never mind I finich it here ...hope you dont mind.
Its feels like I could do some real frogs beacause of my languge problems.

muhmuh
02-18-2007, 05:03 AM
we aren't having the game ooh I've been treated worse than you lol

this really isnt about whos off the worst

and about those older women... dont forget that king was active some 40 years ago and the apartheid got abolished only ~20 years ago so there still are a lot of people around who grew up believing that racism is a-ok... and quite frankly they arent very likely to change... the good news is however that they are dieing out
basically its a problem of "intolerance will not be tolerated" which i dont really have an answer for

i dont really see much racism in the younger generation thats been brought up by post war children of the 60s which luckily have a very different mindset... but i can really only speak for my own country which got its wake up call against racism some 60 years ago

and for the most part the racism and xenophobia that is still present seems to stem from a positiv feedback chain that largely involves ghettoisation... which frankly doesnt have a clear cut solution

edit:
and yeah i kind of take offense to what you said earlier which arrived on my end as saying that my generetion is just as bad as earlier ones

MrsKellyPierce
02-18-2007, 05:08 AM
we aren't having the game ooh I've been treated worse than you lol

this really isnt about whos off the worst

and about those older women... dont forget that king was active some 40 years ago and the apartheid got abolished only ~20 years ago so there still are a lot of people around who grew up believing that racism is a-ok... and quite frankly they arent very likely to change... the good news is however that they are dieing out
basically its a problem of "intolerance will not be tolerated" which i dont really have an answer for

i dont really see much racism in the younger generation thats been brought up by post war children of the 60s which luckily have a very different mindset... but i can really only speak for my own country which got its wake up call against racism some 60 years ago

and for the most part the racism and xenophobia that is still present seems to stem from a positiv feedback chain that largely involves ghettoisation... which frankly doesnt have a clear cut solution

edit:
and yeah i kind of take offense to what you said earlier which arrived on my end as saying that my generetion is just as bad as earlier ones[/quote] again this thread was to share experiences of racial discrimination not about your views on why racism is lol

muhmuh
02-18-2007, 05:17 AM
again this thread was to share experiences of racial discrimination not about your views on why racism is lol

i know... but i couldnt help answering

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
02-18-2007, 05:40 AM
Honestly I have dealt with more racism within my own nationality than from any other nationality. The 2 times someone from another nationailty called me the infamous "N" word I was not even in my teens (*sidenote, for those of you that have no idea what that does to a child be thankful).

Within my own race it's been divided down to skintone, where if you are a lighter complexion you're deemed somewhat of a house nigga or a person who isn't totally from your nationality but mixed.

lol, women from my nationality see me with a woman from another nationality and there's hell to pay, shit is hilarious

my favorite racist moment of all time was when I was on duty my 1st year in Texas and this old African American lady called me a negative word demeaning people of South American descent, I looked at her and just cracked up...............................

MrsKellyPierce
02-18-2007, 05:43 AM
Honestly I have dealt with more racism within my own nationality than from any other nationality. The 2 times someone from another nationailty called me the infamous "N" word I was not even in my teens (*sidenote, for those of you that have no idea what that does to a child be thankful).

Within my own race it's been divided down to skintone, where if you are a lighter complexion you're deemed somewhat of a house nigga or a person who isn't totally from your nationality but mixed.

lol, women from my nationality see me with a woman from another nationality and there's hell to pay, shit is hilarious

my favorite racist moment of all time was when I was on duty my 1st year in Texas and this old African American lady called me a negative word demeaning people of South American descent, I looked at her and just cracked up...............................
That's just so strange to me how that happens.

Somedude21
02-18-2007, 06:05 AM
I've been in one that I can think of. And it was me who instigated it. Let's just say that it wasn't one of my prouder moments...

9/11. I remember walking into school like nothing happened, like it was a normal day. I was tired from staying up playing games all night, and not really in the mood to go to school. Then all of a sudden, at about 8:30-something AM the Principal announced on the loudspeakers:

“I’m sure that all of you have heard by now what’s going on in New York. All I ask is that you hope for the safety of those across the nation.”

I thought…’Wait, what’s going on in New York?’ and asked the same to Mr. Vickers. That’s when I learned that a plane had crashed into the WTC.

“A terrorist attack,” I said. “It’s gotta be.”

“We don’t know anything at this moment.” Mr. Vickers told me. “It could be that, it could just be that a plane went off course or lost control.”

“How do you lose control of a plane like that and fly into one of the most important buildings in New York?”

And then the second plane hit. “Yeah, like I said. Terrorist attack. Motherfuckers.”

The rest of the day we didn’t do any work at all. We just watched with the other special education class from the second floor in our room as the events unfolded on CNN. When the towers collapsed, I felt my heart drop to the pit of my stomach; seeing those towers collapse with all those people in them, seeing the people jumping out of the top floors of the towers, plummeting to their death…I couldn’t begin to fathom the loss of American life. I couldn’t believe it. The whole school was somber and sad. There were even people crying in the halls. I remember seeing half the normal people walking the halls as normal, but security was at its highest as I’ve ever seen it. I remember feeling hatred, rage, fear, terror, sadness…all rolled up into one complicated emotion. I remember saying out loud that we should have nuked Mecca at that moment. I honestly wanted every Muslim on the face of the planet to die horrible, painful deaths. On my way to the bathroom I passed a veil-wearing Muslim girl in the hallways. I remember calling her a terrorist and wishing that she would die. She ran away in tears, and goddammit, that was one of the worst things I did that year—hell, in my life, even. It wasn’t until later that I calmed down and realized just what I had did, said and felt. When I saw her again a week or so later just passing through the hallways, I apologized to her wholeheartedly. All the Muslims that I’ve met in the States are good people, and came here for the same reasons that my own ancestors did. She had no right to be treated the way that I treated her that day, and I made sure that she knew that. Never before had I spent so long thinking out and actually speaking an apology. I forget her exact reaction, but I think she accepted it.

Cat
02-18-2007, 06:11 AM
The most common racist situation I have had to deal with is other black people who say I am not "black enough". Not black enough because I don't talk like a southerner and I like to read.I find that weird? Why do you think that is, because you remind them of a "white person" or do you think there is more to it?See the problem here Kelly is that when you say racism and you don't specify what type, you open a whole can of worms. And the converse of what Brenda said, being a dark skinned black man I also face discrimination from light skinned blacks. Whatch the movie "School Daze" by Spike Lee. It may open your eyes to racism within the black race. I'm also called an oreo behind my back by other blacks cause I talk like I've got an education. You know, using proper diction, things like that. Cause I don't talk like I come from the streets. And what you call anger coming form me is a firm understanding of the world I live in and who I am.
I don't like it when black people talk down to white people (and I have to presume you're talking down to whites, because you keep dropping the "black man's shoes", "as a dark skinned black man", in the context of a contrary race), as if white people don't know and understand what racism is.

In your words, there are undertones that you have it the absolute worst... when, in reality, anyone at the end of discrimination has it terrible. It doesn't matter how bad -- it matters that the hatred exists.

You're not the only race on the receiving end of racism; past, present and future. Get over yourself.

Thinking, such as that, just keeps the seed alive.

otherguy
02-18-2007, 06:40 AM
Racism is subjective.
No one can understand another's experience without being them.
Everyone can experience racism. If you haven't, you just haven't been to that country yet.
Real or not, someone always will justify their plight as another's oppression. It's too easy to blame someone else. One's actions are what makes one's future. Inaction makes nothing but the status quo continue.
It is how one overcomes it that is inspiring and uplifting. Dwelling on what could have been accomplishes nothing for the future path.

MrsKellyPierce
02-18-2007, 07:15 AM
im a fuckin white kid, but have experienced lots of bigotry in the form of antisemitism my whole life, well earlier more obviously, but if i was black ide really be pissed off at this thread...

i mean when i clicked on it i was mmm lemme see where this is going...and to be quite honest i was mortified...a white girl, partially peurto rican, whatever, but basically a white girl giving some story about a crazy old lady saying croation croation and passing that off as a racist experience???

to be quite honest, no wonder black people are pissed off at whites for this topic...i honestly still dont get it...where was there a hint of racism in that story? lemme reread in case i missed something...how is there 4 fucking pages of responses here and no one mentions this? cause a girl posted the thread? no wonder these girls dont fuckin respect guys, ur all a bunch of fuckin disrespectful motherfuckers...being a yes man doesnt give u props, it just makes u a fuckin loser...cmon be honest, if i told u i experienced racism today and went on to tell u how a homeless person yelled "u belgian u belgian"...youde first wait for the punch line, then when u saw i was being sincere youde punch me in the fuckin face for that pass off as a racial icident...

dont get me wrong...im sure people dislike croations, as im sure people dont like argentians, or austrians or quiwis, but for gods sake u know that racism, at least as it pertains to the problems generally refered to and applicable in this society and culture is white vs. black and to a lesser extent (perhaps) black vs. brown, etc. good lord....way to slight an issue... If you knew the lady she was from over there and Croations are like Black and White war for them..I was giving one experience you took the thread that way..and thats your problem..the point of the thread was to learn about issues and help maybe others that still have those racial thoughts in their heads to stop..to see how disgusting and judgemental people can be..I am sorry if you missed the whole part of the thread and went right for the drama and the obvious of what people have been fighting about forever..it was a place to vent but also LEARN..Jesus..And it was racist over there being called a filthy Croation is like being called the N word do your history before you speak and stop being so cut throat!

muhmuh
02-18-2007, 07:40 AM
They should. after all, they created it. Dude, if you haven't walked in the shoes, you have no idea of all the complexities that go into this. and didn't I also state that it doesn't only come from whites, it comes from people in my race as well. And as far as talking down to someone, well whites invented that too. Now, time to climb off your soapbox. Can you answer why US statistics have whites among the highest percentage of drug users in the country but 85% of the nations prisons are filled with blacks and latins? You really don't want to go at me with this cause i could go on all night. I'm an educated man, not some scuttle butt from the streets.

yet you do everything to come off condecending and polemic
if you want people to respond positively to youre not per se invalid points try to explain them instead of just telling everybody that they dont have an effing clue and just have to swallow whatever you say

but with the REST OF THE POSTERS who arent from THERE either and had no fuckin clue what ur refering to but that didnt matter (u honesty think wombat knows about racial division amongst croations? trust me, he did "do" his history).

i assume its a misspelling of croatian? if it is its probably just you who has been living in a bubble ever since tito died and the whole of jugslavia turned into a minefield both figuratively and literally

MrsKellyPierce
02-18-2007, 08:18 AM
mmm ok my dear ill sit back and explain to me how a white girl in the us getting called croation by an old women whose ethnicity or race isnt described is a racial incident and how my not relaying this to contemporary racial tension is way off? mmm....my bubble is bursting with excitement...hold, lemme get popcorn...ok im back, go Again this wasn't a whose been treated worse it was still discrimination..no matter..and thats not what he was mad about..if you actually read the thread..instead of grasping for drama..I was hoping this would of been a thread with experiences...sympathy, empathy, and understanding of how it made you feel...not turn on one another and start arguments...

beatmaker
02-18-2007, 09:40 AM
The most common racist situation I have had to deal with is other black people who say I am not "black enough". Not black enough because I don't talk like a southerner and I like to read.

No disrespect, but I tend to find most blacks who say this, tend to have a uppity, superior attitude in the presence of other blacks. Always feeling the need to correct their grammar and show off how much they know. I knew a young black girl like this, at my old place of employment. Many of my black coworkers didn't care for her, because she would make sweeping, negative comments about blacks in the presence of whites. However, she would always say she "couldn't relate" to other blacks, because she was well-educated and from the suburbs. Funny thing, we all held similar positions and earned similar salaries. It reminds me of this contestant on America's Top Model, several seasons ago. I think it was the season Eva Pigford won. Anyway, this black contestant (can't remember her name) made a comment in front of everybody, to the effect of "she looks like a monkey in some of her pictures". The other black girls mouths just dropped open in amazement. Then after they called her on her self-loathing comment, she went into the confessional crying about how she always felt out of place and she couldn't relate around other blacks and truely never fit in with whites either. Yet, the white girls are the first one's she "tried" to make friends with in the house. No wonder why they thought she was an oreo.

Let me say this, so no one assumes, this is some "sour grapes" riddled diatribe. I read incessantly, so much so, I'm running out of places for all my books, magazine and important newspaper clippings. I'm not some old geyser either, as I just hit my thirties. I can speak the Queen's English when necessary, but I can relate and speak slang when I'm hanging out as well. One thing, I don't do is use the "N word" in any setting. I can be in the most ghetto of ghetto situation, but I can still relate with cats without being, speaking or acting ignorant. I attended college in the South, so I've been around many poor, Southern blacks also. Sure, some Southern blacks are still brainwashed with that "slave mentality", that they attribute any sign of intelligence with whiteness. However, I tend to notice if you show people respect and try to help them "see the light" without looking your nose down on them, they'll respect you no matter what.

No mean to judge you sista, but you need to take your well-read self to your local bookstore and buy some books on your history and the black condition. Nothing occurs in a vacuum. The divisiveness of rich vs poor, light vs dark, educated vs uneducated, fine hair vs course hair is not a coincidence nor it is something isolated to Southern blacks. You can visit other countries in the Carribean and South America and see the same mental conditioning. Some people like to call it Willie Lynchism. A young black female filmaker named Kiri Davis made an excellent, short documentary on this topic titled "A Girl Like Me". It is blowing up on Youtube; I think it has over 450,000 views. I really suggest you watch it sista; here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17fEy0q6yqc

Another thing, any black person from the South who says they experience more racism internally than externally is suspect and trying to sensationalize the discussion. Poor uneducated blacks aren't in a position to oppress you. The difference between between racism and prejudice lies in one having the ability to lend power to their biased attitudes (i.e denying a business loan or mortage based on someone's race) versus some powerless, uneducated redneck calling you a spook at the local convenience store parking lot, while cruising by in his pickup truck.

Quoting author/educator Dr. Carter G Woodson who wrote the seminal book "Miseducation of the Negro", I'll say "If you tell a man to go around to the back door enough times, he will eventually go without being told".

Sista, learn the cause not just the effect!

muhmuh
02-18-2007, 09:48 AM
mmm ok my dear ill sit back and explain to me how a white girl in the us getting called croation by an old women whose ethnicity or race isnt described is a racial incident and how my not relaying this to contemporary racial tension is way off? mmm....my bubble is bursting with excitement...hold, lemme get popcorn...ok im back, go

or you could just educate yourself on jugoslavia and the conflicts that your own country sent soldiers to
it might not be racism in the stronger sense of the word as all ethnicities on the balkan are the same race but the behaviour is the same

beatmaker
02-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Actually, there was an excellent article on institutionalized racism, especially as it pertained to redlining in the real estate, lending and mortgage industries. Sometimes, it's not just about getting approved, as you may get approved, but pay higher interest rates and fees, than whites in almost the exact same financial, credit, employment and social circumstances. The link is on the hard drive of my old desktop tower, that's collecting dust in my closet. Maybe, I'll find it using a Google search. It was very well written and eye opening, even for someone like me, who is very clear on how institutionalized racism is, in the seats of power, money and influence.

AllanahStarrNYC
02-18-2007, 10:25 AM
lets see-

as a cuban yes i have experienced racism

as a child/teenager i experienced homophobia

as a transsexual i have experienced transphobia

as a woman i have experienced sexism

Realgirls4me
02-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Yes.

Yes I have!

muhmuh
02-18-2007, 10:33 AM
and im quite familiar with the atrociticies and unfair overseas policies my imperfect [...] govt., plays...

well with bosnia and kosovo the us did the right thing for a change

yet probably still better than ur govt

and you guys wonder why no one likes the us

their morals all come from a fucin book where white people owned everything, women were fuckin objects, slavery was common and gays were punished to death...u may of hear of it...it was called the bible....yeah that same book that was forced down blacks throats after white people brought them here raped their wives, killed most of them, and sold the rest....oh, but jesus loves u...

as far as im concerened/learned christian ethics can be summed up in a single phrase "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." which obviously is against any of these (i left the bit about god out as it doesnt relate to human interaction)

BrendaQG
02-18-2007, 04:11 PM
The most common racist situation I have had to deal with is other black people who say I am not "black enough". Not black enough because I don't talk like a southerner and I like to read.I find that weird? Why do you think that is, because you remind them of a "white person" or do you think there is more to it?

The simplest looking questions often have the most complex answers.

It's a cultural difference. (This will be the black history moment for the day)

As I assume you know many black people escaped from slavery before the civil war. My ancestors were among them. We lived on the great plains from about 1825. Back when the area belonged to the natives. Black people like us became culturally assimilated into the communities we lived with. We became midwestern and northern. There was no segregation at least not by law. We were allowed to seek education, own businesses etc, and were legally treated like fully equal human beings.

The black people who were left behind had to deal with a totally different environment.

Black people were at first allowed to pratice their original cultures. For example Thomas jefferson had a slave who was a muslim and bought for him a Quran and bible in Arabic. The Library of congress still has it. Another example would be that African drums and dances and language were not totally forbidden.

That all changed sometime in the 1790's. It was about then that the Haitian slave revolt happened. It was successful and Haiti became an independant country. All white Haitians were killed after the revolt. White slave owners were very nervous that a simmilar revolt would happen here. Some were organized some were pretty big. One was so well organized that an army of slaves was able to muster in Virgina and was only stopped because a hurricane hit the area they were in. Some of these revolts used african language and african drums as communications devices almost like radio. They used skills they learned from white people . Some of them meet with temporary success. This scared the crap out of white people so they made laws called Black codes.

A black person who knew how to read would be killed in some states. The white person who taught them how to read would be imprisoned (and sometimes lynched). Black families would be broken up at will, usually father sold to a distant owner. Escaping slaves who were caught down south would be horribly mamed. Slaves caught up north would be returned to the south and white's who helped them would be imprisoned. African religions were not preached, nor was Islam. African languages were suppressed. If one broke those laws the penalty was usually death. I could go on practically forever with that list.

The point is
Black people who were left down south internalized a sense of god given inferiority into their culture. Through slavery and jim crow laws, and their lack of power to break free they became convinced that they were not equal human beings. Those are the invisible chains that a white slaver wrote about back in the 1700's. Many black people are mentally enslaved to this day.

It is for that reason that there are black people who say I am not really black because I am educated about something they feel blacks have no right to be concerned with. That is the same reason that some people say "Barrack Obama isn't really 'black'" Not that none of his ancestors were slaves...but because he is educated...in something other than theology.

"Black people are like crabs in a barrel," so the saying goes. "You dont need to put a lid on a barrel full of crabs because one crab will always pull the other down." :smh This has been a real fun topic.

BrendaQG
02-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Oh and to anyone who could not understand the original post. google the terms Yougoslavia war balkans and do some reading. :-?

MrsKellyPierce
02-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Oh and to anyone who could not understand the original post. google the terms Yougoslavia war balkans and do some reading. :-? Thank you so much, Brenda, for being so precise and clear! That really helped me to understand things. That's really sad and astounding that even happens within your own race. I will definitely watch that movie that Ts Chocolate suggested.

To Ts Chocolate: I do not know why your post were deleted, they weren't offensive to me..what ChefMike said was distasteful and offending in my opinion, but what can you do? However I do find the whole oreo thing distasteful on your part...I am part puerto rican and proud of that but I am also part white and I am also proud of that.

MrsKellyPierce
02-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Oh and to anyone who could not understand the original post. google the terms Yougoslavia war balkans and do some reading. :-? Thank you so much, Brenda, for being so precise and clear! That really helped me to understand things. That's really sad and astounding that even happens within your own race. I will definitely watch that movie.

To Ts Chocolate: I do not know why your post were deleted, they weren't offensive to me..what ChefMike said was distasteful and offending in my opinion, but what can you do? However I do find the whole oreo thing distasteful on your part...I am part puerto rican and proud of that but I am also part white and I am also proud of that.The oreo thing wasn't directed to you. He knows who I'm talking about. oh okay phew lol

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
02-18-2007, 09:32 PM
I just sifted through the rest of this good thread, so I haven't had time to delete anything

and there are some good points made

what's interesting to me is how it almost became a B&W topic when it's really not

I stated what I stated because I believe there is more racism within my own race than any other. I spoke to a few of my pool buds last night [all of different nationalities] and they interestingly all agreed that it's the same in their race. Asians aren't as tight as they are perceived to be, neither are Hispanics, African Americans have issues, and Caucasians are the same.

It's an interesting thread in a time where racism is really taking a back seat to religious discrimination

Quinn
02-18-2007, 09:41 PM
A disscusion about racism between a cuban, a jew, a bunch of whites, euros, and an oreo mod. LOL. I'm willing to bet that the oreo mod deleted my posts.

You’re so right. What could a Cuban, a Jew, or any European possibly understand about racism or bias? How silly of them to think that they might have a valid perspective on the matter. And that “oreo” mod, what in the hell was he thinking by not clearly measuring up to your standards of what it means to be an African American?

Congratulations on your success in making this thread about you and your issues, rather than a valid dialectic on racism that might serve to broaden understanding.

-Quinn

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
02-18-2007, 09:47 PM
http://www.hooplah.com/hpro/img1/oreo.gif

LMAO

Priceless

Hara_Juku Tgirl
02-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Asians aren't as tight as they are perceived to be

That's mainly because Asians have and still do believe in social classes. We don't have them here thankgod..Or atleast it's not as bad. :wink:

~Kisses.

HTG

lust4ts
02-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Excuse me!

How would you like it if we made fun of you and your difficulties with swimming?

the mods still allow chefmke to post racist shit,

Just my opinion on something brought up here, not that it means fuck all I know. But I have to say I do not think chefmike's comments were literal and in anyway reflect his real and serious opinions on this topic. I think if you read what he said it was meant as a sort of reverse humor sarcasm, and if taken in that way were quite harmless. I guess what im saying is what he wrote did not come across to me as the words of a person who is racist, but more like someone who was trying to maybe cause controversy but only on a humorous level. Oh well thats how I see it anyway.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
02-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Excuse me!

the mods still allow chefmke to post racist shit,

Just my opinion on something brought up here, not that it means fuck all I know. But I have to say I do not think chefmike's comments were literal and in anyway reflect his real and serious opinions on this topic. I think if you read what he said it was meant as a sort of reverse humor sarcasm, and if taken in that way were quite harmless. I guess what im saying is what he wrote did not come across to me as the words of a person who is racist, but more like someone who was trying to maybe cause controversy but only on a humorous level. Oh well thats how I see it anyway.

alot of what chef says is sarcastic and alot of that sarcastic humor is hilarious, one thing I've learned you can't be sarcastic on HA.......... you just can't......................unless your name is Spock

lust4ts
02-18-2007, 10:18 PM
one thing I've learned you can't be sarcastic on HA.......... you just can't......................unless your name is Spock

:lol: :lol: :lol:

muhmuh
02-18-2007, 10:43 PM
not to quabble with u, but my bit about PROBABLY BETTER THAN URS wasnt at all an arrogant statement...it was simply based on a lack of information...ur profile doenst indicate where ur from, and absent any info its simple math..despite some wrong in this country and despite me finding some govts especially of progressive europian nations, canada and perhaps australia, to be more advanced and rightuous..u stil have to admit, that leaves aprox 160 other countries with shittier govts than the USs...so again, dont confuse me with an arogant patriotic american idiot...im not...i was just playing the numbers...

from my earlier posts you could have worked out that im german
i dont know how much you know about germans but one of our biggest hobbies is crtizising our goverment
your post sort of reminded me of the whole "i dont like the president but since he is the pres ill support him no matter what" attitude that a sizeable number of americans seems to have... and of course being german i cant at all follow that trail of thought having been brought up with the belief that for democracy to have any validity at all i needs constant critizism from the people

but im drifting _way_ off topic

muhmuh
02-18-2007, 11:04 PM
I guess its wrong of me to expect non-blacks to have a full understanding of this.

you never expected it and much less did you try to explain it to anyone... what you did was basically tell everyone that they had to be black to have a full understanding of racism (dark black actually which pushes the irony even further) and now for some reason youre suprised others didnt like your shut up if youre not black attitude

muhmuh
02-18-2007, 11:16 PM
I really don't give a flying fuck whether you like what I say or my attitude DUDE!

has it ever occured to you that other might dislike you and act peculiar towards you not because youre black but because you act like ... this

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
02-18-2007, 11:26 PM
he's been flying off the handle, pussy moves left & right

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
02-18-2007, 11:36 PM
lol, yeah J if the cops come and ask me who's responsible I'll just move closer to you and say "hey I'm just an oreo, officer"

AllanahStarrNYC
02-18-2007, 11:43 PM
I guess its wrong of me to expect non-blacks to have a full understanding of this.

you never expected it and much less did you try to explain it to anyone... what you did was basically tell everyone that they had to be black to have a full understanding of racism (dark black actually which pushes the irony even further) and now for some reason youre suprised others didnt like your shut up if youre not black attitudeI really don't give a flying fuck whether you like what I say or my attitude DUDE!

haha, of course u give a flying fuck, thats why u have that fuckin attitude that will land u in a shitty life or prison;) i love when people fly off the handle and claim to not give a shit;)Land me in a shitty life or prison? You really don't know much about me do you? I'm a professional who belongs to 2 major entertainment unions. You think I'd blow what I have on a piece of shit from this forum or the streets. Again, I'm an educated man, just as educated as yourself. Now go run that shit to some street corner kid.

This psycho should not be here. He was already deleted under another screen name and he is sp desperate that he came back with another moniker. He gave himself up by by saying he was an actor and a friend of madison's-just like the other fool. Chocolate TS Psycho should be banned again. P U N K E D!!!

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
02-19-2007, 12:01 AM
the asshole got into it with me in pm's and his media exec ass is supposedly meeting me in front of Vapor at the next monthly to air out his differences physically

AllanahStarrNYC
02-19-2007, 12:06 AM
please he is such an asshole and so desperate.

yeah media ceo, famous actor-what other delusion does this creep have?

he is so bitter and nasty all the time- he needs to GO AGAIN

you better tell him to meet u up elsewhere- he ain't starting no shyt at the club unless he wants a lovely night downtown at the central booking hotel.

wait- since he is so famous, maybe we will see him on perez, or tmz, or on the news for his arrest! LMAO

chefmike
02-19-2007, 12:07 AM

you never expected it and much less did you try to explain it to anyone... what you did was basically tell everyone that they had to be black to have a full understanding of racism (dark black actually which pushes the irony even further) and now for some reason youre suprised others didnt like your shut up if youre not black attitudeI really don't give a flying fuck whether you like what I say or my attitude DUDE!

haha, of course u give a flying fuck, thats why u have that fuckin attitude that will land u in a shitty life or prison;) i love when people fly off the handle and claim to not give a shit;)Land me in a shitty life or prison? You really don't know much about me do you? I'm a professional who belongs to 2 major entertainment unions. You think I'd blow what I have on a piece of shit from this forum or the streets. Again, I'm an educated man, just as educated as yourself. Now go run that shit to some street corner kid.

This psycho should not be here. He was already deleted under another screen name and he is sp desperate that he came back with another moniker. He gave himself up by by saying he was an actor and a friend of madison's-just like the other fool. Chocolate TS Psycho should be banned again. P U N K E D!!!

If Allanah won't spell out his old handle I will...tommytuu...

And while we're on the subject we also have geekmeat aka sebastian back...you can call him Solitary Brother now...

AllanahStarrNYC
02-19-2007, 12:11 AM
thanks chef he was so forgetable- i could not remember
his name

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
02-19-2007, 12:12 AM
good looking out J, I look forward to some dark-skinned angry little troll of a Black man walking up to my Oreo http://www.fly.co.uk/fly/archives/superfly.jpg lookin ass in the center of Manhattan poppin shit, this should be an event

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
02-19-2007, 12:16 AM
lol, Kelly sorry we hijacked your thread, it was good initially

muhmuh
02-19-2007, 12:44 AM
lol, Kelly sorry we hijacked your thread, it was good initially

threads progress so what? and hey it turned into a thread chockfull of fun

edit: could someone please turn off that double post protection that for some reason keeps me from editing typos all the time?

chocolate ts freak
02-19-2007, 01:20 AM
please he is such an asshole and so desperate.

yeah media ceo, famous actor-what other delusion does this creep have?

he is so bitter and nasty all the time- he needs to GO AGAIN

you better tell him to meet u up elsewhere- he ain't starting no shyt at the club unless he wants a lovely night downtown at the central booking hotel.

wait- since he is so famous, maybe we will see him on perez, or tmz, or on the news for his arrest! LMAOListen, for the last time, I'm a professional, never said I was famous. You said that. Get it right. Or maybe you neeed to open a dictionary and look up the word famous and apply it to one whose a professional at what they do. I suppose you'll just delete this post like you did the others. no problem. My points have been proven.

chocolate ts freak
02-19-2007, 01:24 AM
ur a proffesional assholeHello kettle, meet pot!

chefmike
02-19-2007, 01:30 AM
My points have been proven.

chocolate ts freak
02-19-2007, 01:39 AM
stainless steel expensive kettle says hi to rusty piece of shit black pot, hi!!!One day motherfucker, one day!

werwt22
02-19-2007, 02:11 AM
What happened?

I think the only time I was in one..was when this crazy old lady at the grocery store, started giving me dirty looks, so I automatically assumed oh she clocked me until she said you nasty croation lol I was like excuse me and she said back in her accent you nasty filthy croation..I replied ma'am I beg your pardon but I am caucasion and puerto rican..then she yelled at me calling me a liar and said get out of her face you nasty croation..which I did but yeah thats the only time I've been in one..anyone else?

PWNED LMAO. I'm black with a few other races thrown in, but for the most part I'm black...nuff said.....

AllanahStarrNYC
02-19-2007, 02:49 AM
stainless steel expensive kettle says hi to rusty piece of shit black pot, hi!!!One day motherfucker, one day!

If you are such a tough guy- why dont you admit that you are Tommytu and that your ass came back here with another moniker after you got banned?

Stop being a bitch and own up to the truth.

Or are you another internet 'thug' who starts fights and takes out your pent up social/sexual aggression on other people and threatening them with violence?

The fact is- YOU GOT PUNKED AND SPOOKED-

we know who you are. Now be a man and own up to it.

hwbs
02-19-2007, 04:49 AM
the asshole got into it with me in pm's and his media exec ass is supposedly meeting me in front of Vapor at the next monthly to air out his differences physically

reminds me when that guy from new zealand challenged myself and nyce to a duel at opaline, lmfao

hwbs
02-19-2007, 04:55 AM
that is a nice mustache...i am jealous,lol

hwbs
02-19-2007, 05:00 AM
i know...but i only had some 10yr tawny bottles, lol....life lesson learned, lol

Quinn
02-19-2007, 05:29 AM

reminds me when that guy from new zealand challenged myself and nyce to a duel at opaline, lmfao

LOL... You guys don't know the meaning of terror until you've been challenged to a fight by the likes of long-departed forum member Aedan – who then failed to show up in support of his own challenge. Internet tough guys; you have to love them.

-Quinn

chocolate ts freak
02-19-2007, 05:39 AM

LOL... You guys don't know the meaning of terror until you've been challenged to a fight by the likes of long-departed forum member Aedan – who then failed to show up in support of his own challenge. Internet tough guys; you have to love them.

-QuinnQuinn, this was something that was private but bitch boy had to announce it to the entire forum. Like I'm that stupid to carry it out now knowing I could get arrested. If he was serious he would have kept quiet about it. Just shows who the real internet tough guy is. It cool though. There will be another time.

lust4ts
02-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Quinn, this was something that was private but bitch boy had to announce it to the entire forum. Like I'm that stupid to carry it out now knowing I could get arrested. If he was serious he would have kept quiet about it. Just shows who the real internet tough guy is. It cool though. There will be another time.

AllanahStarrNYC
02-19-2007, 05:50 AM

-QuinnQuinn, this was something that was private but bitch boy had to announce it to the entire forum. Like I'm that stupid to carry it out now knowing I could get arrested. If he was serious he would have kept quiet about it. Just shows who the real internet tough guy is. It cool though. There will be another time.

still can't admit it huh?

left me go get you some always with wings cause you are officially a BYAAAAAAAATCH

hentai_ninja
02-20-2007, 03:42 AM
Yeah,but im still in Highschool so thats pretty much a given. In athletics I ahd Football and Wrestling,I had to prove I was just as tough as the Whites,Blacks,and Hispanics,they assuemd their own kind was stronger or tougher just because I was smaller than everybody. Needless to say,I wasent the strongest but when pushed came to shoved,I pushed right back. I think if you show people you arent a push over or that your not scarred,they`ll start respecting you. Kidna sucks that people learn the hard way but tahts hwo the world is.

beatmaker
02-20-2007, 09:25 AM
The simplest looking questions often have the most complex answers.

It's a cultural difference. (This will be the black history moment for the day)

As I assume you know many black people escaped from slavery before the civil war. My ancestors were among them. We lived on the great plains from about 1825. Back when the area belonged to the natives. Black people like us became culturally assimilated into the communities we lived with. We became midwestern and northern. There was no segregation at least not by law. We were allowed to seek education, own businesses etc, and were legally treated like fully equal human beings.

The black people who were left behind had to deal with a totally different environment.

Black people were at first allowed to pratice their original cultures. For example Thomas jefferson had a slave who was a muslim and bought for him a Quran and bible in Arabic. The Library of congress still has it. Another example would be that African drums and dances and language were not totally forbidden.

That all changed sometime in the 1790's. It was about then that the Haitian slave revolt happened. It was successful and Haiti became an independant country. All white Haitians were killed after the revolt. White slave owners were very nervous that a simmilar revolt would happen here. Some were organized some were pretty big. One was so well organized that an army of slaves was able to muster in Virgina and was only stopped because a hurricane hit the area they were in. Some of these revolts used african language and african drums as communications devices almost like radio. They used skills they learned from white people . Some of them meet with temporary success. This scared the crap out of white people so they made laws called Black codes.

A black person who knew how to read would be killed in some states. The white person who taught them how to read would be imprisoned (and sometimes lynched). Black families would be broken up at will, usually father sold to a distant owner. Escaping slaves who were caught down south would be horribly mamed. Slaves caught up north would be returned to the south and white's who helped them would be imprisoned. African religions were not preached, nor was Islam. African languages were suppressed. If one broke those laws the penalty was usually death. I could go on practically forever with that list.

The point is
Black people who were left down south internalized a sense of god given inferiority into their culture. Through slavery and jim crow laws, and their lack of power to break free they became convinced that they were not equal human beings. Those are the invisible chains that a white slaver wrote about back in the 1700's. Many black people are mentally enslaved to this day.

It is for that reason that there are black people who say I am not really black because I am educated about something they feel blacks have no right to be concerned with. That is the same reason that some people say "Barrack Obama isn't really 'black'" Not that none of his ancestors were slaves...but because he is educated...in something other than theology.

"Black people are like crabs in a barrel," so the saying goes. "You dont need to put a lid on a barrel full of crabs because one crab will always pull the other down." :smh This has been a real fun topic.

Brenda, much respect due on that post! I don't do this often, but I have to admit when I'm wrong. Sorry!!! I definitely have to say, you do know your history sista, which is becoming an increaasingly rare occurence in the black community. Too many of us have bought into this "Color doesn't matter anymore" or "The only color that matters is green" nonsense. This is merely a tool to keep the people (successful corporate businesspeople and entreprenuers, educators, entertainers and athletes) who are capable of making drastic changes and improvements, apathetic, selfish and caught up in the Matrix.

BrendaQG
02-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Brenda, much respect due on that post! I don't do this often, but I have to admit when I'm wrong. Sorry!!! I definitely have to say, you do know your history sista, which is becoming an increaasingly rare occurence in the black community.

Well of course I know my history. After all I am an aspiring theoretical physicist (/hooker wanna make something of it, I didn't think so.) Compared to that history is simple.

I have to admit that some of what you said is true. I do not go around telling people not to speak ebonics. Or stuff like that. But what does happen is someone sees me writing away, doing math, then ask what I'm doing. I try explaining relativistic quantum field theory to them...It's really hard to not make it seem patronizing when I try to explain it.

But then there are other times. Like someone else alluded to where just my way of speaking, sounding educated ( :-/ ) get's that response. Can't please all of the people all of the time. cest le vie.