PDA

View Full Version : Is 50 the New 30?

peggygee
02-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Is 50 the New 30?

More Older Women are Becoming Symbols of Beauty?

Madonna, Oprah Winfrey, Nicolette Sheridan and Christie Brinkley are no spring chickens — but they are some of entertainment's most sought after stars, perhaps suggesting that 50 is starting to become the new 30.

Brinkley and Winfrey are both 51. Sheridan is 42. Madonna, along with Sharon Stone, is 47. They look years, even decades, younger — and corporate America is taking note. For example, veteran supermodel Brinkley is back as one of Cover Girl's lead faces.

"Our generation, the baby-boomers, have always been the driving force," said Brinkley, the supermodel and former wife of singer Billy Joel. "As we start to age, we want advertising to address our needs. Don't try to trick us. Don't give us a 20-year-old talking to us.

The ladies of ABC's "Desperate Housewives" — all of whom, save Eva Longoria, are older than most Hollywood starlets — have taken the media world by storm.

"I'm 40 and I just got my first beauty campaign with Clairol Nice and Easy," said Teri Hatcher, one of the show's stars.

Market Response

In 2005, women over 40 won about two to three magazine covers a month compared to one a month in 2004. Demi Moore, 43, is featured in Versace ads and Sharon Stone fronts the Dior campaign. The reason? Older consumers want more and companies are trying to meet their demands.

Companies are trying to take advantage of every trend, said consumer research expert, Marshall Cohen.

"Companies have recognized these consumers are frustrated with how come this brand doesn't talk to me," said Cohen. "How come they don't speak my language? Why are they only talking to the younger generation?"

The famous women who front ad campaigns and grace the covers of magazines merely reflect what is going on in society, experts say. Older women are no longer pushed to the sidelines. More and more people find them sexy.

Women like Demi Moore are marrying younger men. Her second husband, actor Ashton Kutcher, is 15 years her junior. Others like Sarah Jessica Parker, who is 40 and the mother of a two-year-old, are giving birth at an older age.

It might help that cosmetic surgery has become more popular and accepted. Since 1997 procedures ranging from botox to breast augmentation have increased by 465 percent.

Realgirls4me
02-13-2007, 08:53 AM
Yes, 50 is the new 30, 60 is the new 40, and so on. People are not only living far longer, but looking better for their ages also, thanks to eating better, working out, scientific advances, medical advances, and the occasional cosmetic lift. Hee-hee.

... On the money front, today's 50 dollar bill is yesterday's $20.00; today's $100.00 is yesterday's ...

:)

whatsupwithat
02-13-2007, 09:03 AM
So, I guess that makes me 20? Right.

The Boomers...the generation that just can't deal with getting old and seeing the havoc and destruction and greed they forced upon the world bite them in their respective asses.

/no offense...some of you are quite nice. :)

AllanahStarrNYC
02-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Darling with a little surgery anything is possiblle :)

Realgirls4me
02-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Allanah,

What kind of laser is it that supposedly just pulverizes fine wrinkles off. I saw one once demonstrated on the news a few years ago, and it basically turned fine lines into a fine white ash. This thing was like straight from a Twilight Zone episode.

Mac_Hine
If you got the money of a big time Hollywood movie star sure. The rest of us will whither away like the old dried up cunts we are.

Realgirls4me
... I thought I'd ask you since you look so fine, and you also seem to know a lot about those things. :)

AllanahStarrNYC
02-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Oh there are a few now- you mightbe talking about the CO2 of the Erbium- but there is one on the market now that is only a week's recovery as opposed to months with the CO2 or weeks with the Erbium

I'll look it up for you.

Realgirls4me
02-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Oh there are a few now- you mightbe talking about the CO2 of the Erbium- but there is one on the market now that is only a week's recovery as opposed to months with the CO2 or weeks with the Erbium

I'll look it up for you.

The one I saw made a snapping noise and basically turned a wrinkle into a fine "white ash", which just blew off the face if I remember correctly. I thought it didn't require any down time. A model they had employed went around the country with half her face smooth and wrinkle free, while the other half looked 10 years older.

Realgirls4me
02-13-2007, 09:44 AM
If I ever got any cosmetic surgery, it would be to just remove a few fine lines here and there. :)

AllanahStarrNYC
02-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Well darling if you can think of it LET ME KNOW LOL

I would safely say though that to really get rid of a wrinkle you have to go into the dermis so probably a more intense laser is best for long lasting and better results.