PDA

View Full Version : Death Penalty - For it or against it????

wombat33
02-13-2007, 06:15 AM
I guess I am against it for this reason.

I feel that if you vote it in..........you are just as guilty as the person who injects the prisoner or throws the switch for the electric chair. I am not willing to do that job because I am not willing to kill, so I would not be willing to vote it in.

Also......like Hurricaine Carter...........too many innocent people in jail that did not do it.

Anyone else???

lust4ts
02-13-2007, 06:35 AM
I say the death penalty should be kept for child molestors and child killers.

Oh yeah and bring back public hangings for televison show Psychics. :wink:

francisfkudrow
02-13-2007, 06:38 AM
I think that optimally, a society would not have the death penalty, but we have so much violence in our coutnry that the people are not ready to forgo the death penalty.

We have to do a better job of preventing crime before it becomes politically possible to end the death penalty.

ezed
02-13-2007, 07:57 AM
AGAINST IT! kill them

werwt22
02-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Only in very specific cases such as mass killings. Like I think people such as serial killers or the DC sniper should get the death penalty (I lived in Alexandria btw and someone got killed up the street 2 miles from me during the whole sniper thing) , but not people convicted of killing one person. Seems cruel to carry such a harsh punishment for people who only messed up once. But I dont have a problem if they take it away. The thing I hate most about the death penalty is they wait so long to carry it out that over half the guys that get it are reformed by the time they actually get the injection or chair.

trish
02-13-2007, 06:05 PM
personally, i'd rather be put to death than spend life in jail without hope of parole. still the application of the death penality has been very lopsided in this country and i applauded the governor of illinois when he called a moratorium on it. if we keep capitol punishment there need to be more safeguards on it. perhaps it should be reserved for persons committing high treason; like revealing the identities of undercover CIA agents.

InHouston
02-13-2007, 09:52 PM
personally, i'd rather be put to death than spend life in jail without hope of parole. still the application of the death penality has been very lopsided in this country and i applauded the governor of illinois when he called a moratorium on it. if we keep capitol punishment there need to be more safeguards on it. perhaps it should be reserved for persons committing high treason; like revealing the identities of undercover CIA agents.

Yeah, and I suppose you could give the axe murderer probation and a hundred hours of community service. Do you people even think about the things you post here?

trish
02-14-2007, 12:59 AM

Yeah, and I suppose you could give the axe murderer probation and a hundred hours of community service. Do you people even think about the things you post here?

look asshole, you suppose erroneously. a mere tongue in cheek suggestion that we might PERHAPS reserve the death penality for treason comes nowhere close to determinining the punishment i might have in mind for axe murderers. perhaps i think death is too good for them. the point is you don't know and yet you've got your shorts all up in a bunch. i hope you learn to read a post before you ever try your hand at interpreting law. by your anything goes kind of logic one might suppose you would send valentines and candy to everyone who outted an undercover CIA agent.

specialk
02-14-2007, 01:08 AM

LMAO....Trish you opened up a can o' worms here....but I'll back you to the hilt :claps

InHouston
02-14-2007, 01:24 AM

look asshole, you suppose erroneously. a mere tongue in cheek suggestion that we might PERHAPS reserve the death penality for treason comes nowhere close to determinining the punishment i might have in mind for axe murderers. perhaps i think death is too good for them. the point is you don't know and yet you've got your shorts all up in a bunch. i hope you learn to read a post before you ever try your hand at interpreting law. by your anything goes kind of logic one might suppose you would send valentines and candy to everyone who outted an undercover CIA agent.

Another elaborate and ill-conceived argument from a typical Bush hater.

trish
02-14-2007, 01:44 AM
have you READ it. i'm not presenting an argument you idiot!!! i'm illustrating your faulty reasoning and your inability to READ.

trish
02-14-2007, 01:45 AM
and if you call that elaborate you must be totally baffled by long division.

guyone
02-14-2007, 04:05 AM
if we keep capitol punishment there need to be more safeguards on it. perhaps it should be reserved for persons committing high treason; like revealing the identities of undercover CIA agents.

Did you mean just Ambassador Barbara Bodine or the entire Clinton cabinate?

guyone
02-14-2007, 04:09 AM
Oh no...I know who you're talking about Joe Wilson who outed his wife to Who's Who in America.

I don't think she'd take well to her husband being executed.

trish
02-14-2007, 04:33 AM
let's see, i wrote

perhaps it should be reserved for persons committing high treason; like revealing the identities of undercover CIA agents..

first of all, a careful reading will reveal i didn't suggest all persons committing high treason should be executed. so don't worry, all our favorite traitors are likely to squeak through, mine and yours.

second, i didn't propose that we dispense with due process;i.e. innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. this should spare at least some of the Clinton cabinate don't you think? Of course you don't.

third, i didn't accuse a single person of high treason...you did...in fact more than one. if you guys shoot your loads as quickly as you jump to conclusions you'll never have love life.

happy valentine's day.

guyone
02-14-2007, 04:35 AM
Awww...now you're just being coy.

bucatini70
02-14-2007, 04:39 PM
It is clear that no matter what you write trish some people will believe that it is open for interpetation......
In regards to the death penalty i just don't feel that it is right that the state or the federal government can be trusted to deliver fairly and not only is the fairness of applying the penalty an issue so is the application to specific crimes. Trish was perfectly correct in her logic that a life sentence (a real time life sentence) is far greater punishment especially in a 22 hour lock down situation. As an aside it is morally wrong ...bad karma

francisfkudrow
02-17-2007, 02:04 AM

Another elaborate and ill-conceived argument from a typical Bush hater.

I'm always amazed at how anyone who says anything remotely bad about Bush is written off as a lunatic "Bush-hater", yet the Republicans spent 8 years on a witch hunt persecuting Bill Clinton for his entire presidency. What happened to respecting the President between 1992 and 2000? Why is it only unpatriotic to oppose the President when he is a member of the GOP?

guyone
02-17-2007, 02:28 AM
How many anti-war in Bosnia demonstrations were there? Where was the public outcry when we finally had the courage to bomb an Iraqi aspirin factory(good intelligence there). Why wasn't Bin laden caught way back then? The knowledge of Bin Ladens activities go back to Ollie Norths testemony during Iran Contra. Wake up and smell the...

Bolshevism.