PDA

View Full Version : What are you most afraid of ?

scorpion
02-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Everyone is afraid of something..Snakes Dogs or the environmental influence.
The thing Im most afraid to face is a monsterwave. Earlier the most people see the storys of waves whit a high over 30 meter as skipperstorys.
Now wee know they excist. Wee have known it four many years and now the satelits can discover them and maybee this can save some vessel who are in the risk area.
A ordinary cargo ship built four ocean trafic is built four waves up to 15 meters a monsterwave is up to 30 and maybee higher and its also before the wave a deep valley.
The pressure against the vessels plates gonna bee around 100 ton/m2
Its dimensond to handle up to 30 ton/m2..
Do I have to say whats happend when a wave like this hits a ship ?
Every week do 2 big ships sinking after have been hit by a monster wave.
I have realised that its not a question of "If i gonna face a monster wave."
No its more when ?
This is my fear...Whats yours?
Sorry I use the metric system but im sure you know about it.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
02-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Tornadoes..................................

when I was stationed in Texas I got to experience 2 firsthand, not a sight that makes you go "wow" initially, especially if you're assigned later on to do rescue. Those fuckin things scare the shit out of me because they are so random.

Avenged01
02-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Alzhiemers or any kind of mental disorder

Vala_TS
02-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Global warming, deforestation, mass species extinction, pollution, overpopulation, you know, those types of things.

AGTFB

cathare
02-11-2007, 06:40 PM
For me fundamentalists and also food disseas

Fitz1600
02-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Arianna! :D :D :D :D

hwbs
02-11-2007, 07:08 PM
the bathrooms at gran central station :wink:

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
02-11-2007, 07:42 PM
the bathrooms at gran central station :wink:

fuck that, the bathrooms at Club Vapor

wombat33
02-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Everyone is afraid of something..Snakes Dogs or the environmental influence.
The thing Im most afraid to face is a monsterwave. Earlier the most people see the storys of waves whit a high over 30 meter as skipperstorys.
Now wee know they excist. Wee have known it four many years and now the satelits can discover them and maybee this can save some vessel who are in the risk area.
A ordinary cargo ship built four ocean trafic is built four waves up to 15 meters a monsterwave is up to 30 and maybee higher and its also before the wave a deep valley.
The pressure against the vessels plates gonna bee around 100 ton/m2
Its dimensond to handle up to 30 ton/m2..
Do I have to say whats happend when a wave like this hits a ship ?
Every week do 2 big ships sinking after have been hit by a monster wave.
I have realised that its not a question of "If i gonna face a monster wave."
No its more when ?
This is my fear...Whats yours?
Sorry I use the metric system but im sure you know about it.

I am afraid of death. I am afraid of people dying. I am afraid of cancer. I am afraid of heart attacks. I am afraid of being homeless. I am afraid of failing, I am afraid of confrontation, I am afraid of bees, sharks, flying, and my girlfriend's cooking!

wombat33
02-11-2007, 10:06 PM
George Bush. It amazes me that a man as thick as shit can have so much power.

His dad was a genius and a great man............have no idea how it never trickled down to Jr.

Fitz1600
02-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Arianna! :D :D :D :DCross me, and you'll have good reason. :twisted:

I love it when you tease me! :P :P

BeardedOne
02-11-2007, 10:43 PM
All of the above. :?

While my greatest fear is probably aging (Death doesn't bother me, having to wait patiently for it to arrive does), there's a number of things mentioned above that disturb me to some degree.

Tornadoes..................................

Tell me about it. We had one here last year (Or wazzit the year before?) that threw a C130 around like a toy and dropped it on top of another at the ANG airfield. That's no small bit of random power. My ex and our son live in the midwest where they are more common and one took the roof off the house this past summer. Oh joy.

fundamentalist religious kooks

Fortunately, our local thumpermentalists have learned that I can be far more scary than they can ever dream to be. For those that haven't met or heard about me, I rely on two things: Small arms and the words "I have been disavowed". One or the other usually works to make them go away.

So true. That's part of my fear of aging. In the last years of her life, my mother (Who was already a bit whacked to begin with) slipped entirely off the deep end. While some of it was intentional (Soprano's fans will remember Nancy Marchand as Livvy and how she played the Alzheimer's card to her advantage) there was also a lot of freaky stuff including Collyer's Syndrome, a lovely psych thing that she cursed me with at an early age and which is coming back to haunt me now.

George Bush. It amazes me that a man as thick as shit can have so much power.

Politics, both public and corporate, can be scary things. One feels so helpless in a state that has only one electoral vote.

Global warming, deforestation, mass species extinction, pollution, overpopulation, you know, those types of things.

From my house I can see an intracoastal canal. Heavy ice flows today. There are times that I wonder if I'll be seeing that in July and August as well.

the bathrooms at gran central station

=ANY= public facility. :shock: Remember the old adage: "Don't throw matches in the urinals because the crabs will learn to pole vault!" :lol:

One of the old comics of the fifties had an interesting tale about how the human race had become sterile (Isn't this the basic premise of the film "Children of Men"?) and the government spends all of it's money and resources to build this enormous device whose purpose is to snag healthy, fertile people from the past into the future to propogate the species. The device is huge, and has exhausted all the resources of the world to build and cannot be rebuilt or moved, so they decide to focus its range at the most active, most populated spot: Grand Central Terminal in NYC. After the scientists see that the device is only snatching males from the past, and no females, they find a way to reverse the machine so as to see why they aren't getting any women. The scientist that goes back in time discovers that the device is focused on, you guessed it, the Men's restroom. :lol:

I am afraid of people dying. I am afraid of cancer. I am afraid of heart attacks. I am afraid of being homeless. I am afraid of failing, I am afraid of confrontation, I am afraid of bees, sharks, flying, and my girlfriend's cooking!

People die. Get over it. But I can understand how you feel. I've been in a constant state of mourning for the past several months over my sister, mother, aunt, two good friends, a neighbor...the list goes on. It's been a bad year. :( Keep bizzy, I find it's the only reliable way to work through it all.

Been homeless, not fun, but it's something you can weather.

As to your girlfriend's cooking...Can't help you there. TW ("The Wife", a title, not a relationship) has a thing for garlic. Now, I =like= garlic, and it adds to many of the dishes I enjoy, but I swear that this woman's taste buds were shot off in the war, because she serves a dish of garlic, with a seasoning of chicken/beef/pasta rather than the other way 'round. :roll:

So yes, be afraid, be very afraid. :wink:

scorpion
02-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Many intressting answers. I think Tornados and monsterwaves or freakwaves as they also calls is a resultat of the global heating.
But Im not sure about the the bathrooms at gran central station.. :roll:

blackmagic
02-12-2007, 01:34 AM
:oops: :( Im afraid of losing my ability to get rock hard, honestly that should be every mans fear I would hope :shock:

Dkg
02-12-2007, 05:01 AM
:oops: :( Im afraid of losing my ability to get rock hard, honestly that should be every mans fear I would hope :shock:

That is a scary thought.

I'm more afraid of being old and alone.

trish
02-12-2007, 05:24 AM
fear #1: a monsterwave of fear that sweeps through the nation inducing us to give up our freedoms to the state so that it might better protect us.

fear #2: fundamentalists of all ilks who simply cannot live in a society where some people might think, believe and live differently than they.

fear #3: profiteers who are willing to stuff their own pockets at the expense of their fellows and our future.

fear #4: the apathetic and the willfully ignorant.

Somedude21
02-12-2007, 08:13 AM
I fear heights. A lot.

standarddeviation
02-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Everything mentioned above, add my own ignorance and loss of curiosity.

trish
02-12-2007, 05:52 PM
fear #5: my biological clock is ticking...i need to get pregnant fast :)

MDinMD
02-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Deteriorating physically to the point that I really can't do anything. There are worse things, but I'm well on the road to such deterioration, so that's my real fear.

Deepdarkfucker
02-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Lack of sex

biguy4tvtscd
02-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Losing my Daughter / Seeing anything bad happen to her

Smog Boy
02-12-2007, 09:15 PM

Co sign.

Dkg
02-12-2007, 11:28 PM
fear #5: my biological clock is ticking...i need to get pregnant fast :)

Wait...what??

MonsieurValentine
02-13-2007, 05:24 AM
going to prison.

wombat33
02-13-2007, 06:17 AM
going to prison.

ooh. Good one.