PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl XXLI

demmie
02-04-2007, 05:52 AM
Colts v. Bears

First time, in the history of American football, that a black coach has gone to the superbowl, much less, TWO black coaches.

Bring out the beer!!

Snoriega27
02-04-2007, 06:03 AM
It's Super Bowl XLI, not XXLI.

J Money
02-04-2007, 06:17 AM
do we always have to bring up the race card who cares if 2 black coaches are coaching in it the whole black coach black quarteback thing is a bit tired why dont we talk about the white running back or the white wide reciever too mix it up alittle

Somedude21
02-04-2007, 06:46 AM
DA BEARS.

ChicoBWare
02-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Tom Florers was a Mexican American football player and coach. He won 2 super bowls as a coach in the 80s- over 20 years ago. So if you want to talk about somebody breaking ground talk about Tom Flores. He was the first minority coach to win a super bowl and he did it over 20 years ago, when there were no rules about teams being required to interview at least 1 minority candidate for head coaching jobs. And talk about minority- the nfl is like 75 % black- how many mexicans are there in the nfl?

J Money
02-05-2007, 08:34 PM
thats cool that he done that but thats not what im saying a coach is a coach no matter what color

timxxx
02-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Best thing about the Super Bowl was the half time show

demmie
02-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Alright, alright, it's XLI, I got it wrong. Humans make mistakes.

And I wasn't trying to be racist or anything. But it's now down in the NFL history books that two black coaches actually went against each other. Rather than point it out as being "racist", you could add something insightful, like ChicoBWare.

corbomite
02-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Colts v. Bears

First time, in the history of American football, that a black coach has gone to the superbowl, much less, TWO black coaches.

Bring out the beer!!

Sloppy game with all the rain. Alot of turnovers and that. I dont care if the coach was japanese and if we go there then lets get into qoutas and afirmative action. if we do then there should be less blacks on the field,more whites and more hispanics. there should be more hispanic coaches since latinos outnumber black now.

Enough with this skincolor bs.

ILuvGurls
02-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Enough with this skincolor bs.

agreed.....but it's the media types that keep harping on it though.

if you watch any sports related show last week and they talked about the super bowl.....the question or comment that was ALWAYS there.......had something to do with the fact that both coaches were black.

TomSelis
02-06-2007, 01:32 AM
I was pulling for the Colts because Tampa Bay did Tony Dungy wrong, he built that team up and they gave him the axe.

The icing on the cake was the fact that it was the best Super Bowl in years.

Felicia Katt
02-06-2007, 05:14 AM
Today, there are 32 teams in the league but only 6 black head coaches. Thats 18 per cent when roughly 70 per cent of the players in the NFL today are black. There have been 41 Superbowls, meaning 82 Superbowl coaches. 97.5 per cent of the coaches to ever reach the big game were white. Maybe, in a few more years, a few more black coaches can shift some of those huge differential percentages a little. Then it will be something that can be taken for granted, but for now, after 41 years (during the first 25 of which there were no black coaches in the NFL at all) finally having two African Americans coaching in the Superbowl deserves recognition and a comment or two. There needs to be color to see before you can truly claim to be color blind.

FK

Realgirls4me
02-06-2007, 06:01 AM
Tom Florers was a Mexican American football player and coach. He won 2 super bowls as a coach in the 80s- over 20 years ago. So if you want to talk about somebody breaking ground talk about Tom Flores. He was the first minority coach to win a super bowl and he did it over 20 years ago, when there were no rules about teams being required to interview at least 1 minority candidate for head coaching jobs. And talk about minority- the nfl is like 75 % black- how many mexicans are there in the nfl?

We're (I'm Mexican-American) suppose to just do the dirty, grunt work for this country, and not really be seen or heard. Though we are the largest minority now, with numbers that will obviously continue to grow, how many commercials does one see a Mexican-American in? Name one leading Mexican-American actor to compliment Salma Hayek? I'm not talking a Cuban, Puerto Rican, Brazilian, or any other Latin minority speaking with a thick Spanish accent, but a distinctive appearing Mexican-American? I love it how a car commercial will show four young men in a car, with two of them usually being white, one being Asian, and the token black, who usually seems terribly out of place. The largest minority is mysteriously always excluded in these things, though they are in the halls of power and even own professional baseball teams, such as the owner of the California Angels. Think about all this the next time you watch a commercial and then tell me that racism, particularly institutionalized racism, is in the past.

Sorry for possibly "hijacking" this thread, but I just couldn't help myself given the subject matter.

:roll:

J Money
02-07-2007, 03:58 AM
i cant wait till some owner hires an all black coaching staff talk about a media frenzy

a994
02-07-2007, 05:45 AM
We're (I'm Mexican-American) suppose to just do the dirty, grunt work for this country, and not really be seen or heard. Though we are the largest minority now, with numbers that will obviously continue to grow, how many commercials does one see a Mexican-American in? Name one leading Mexican-American actor to compliment Salma Hayek? I'm not talking a Cuban, Puerto Rican, Brazilian, or any other Latin minority speaking with a thick Spanish accent, but a distinctive appearing Mexican-American? I love it how a car commercial will show four young men in a car, with two of them usually being white, one being Asian, and the token black, who usually seems terribly out of place. The largest minority is mysteriously always excluded in these things, though they are in the halls of power and even own professional baseball teams, such as the owner of the California Angels. Think about all this the next time you watch a commercial and then tell me that racism, particularly institutionalized racism, is in the past.

Sorry for possibly "hijacking" this thread, but I just couldn't help myself given the subject matter.

:roll:

Actually I hear ya, Realgirls4me. I also want to see more Latino persons represented in the commercials, TV shows, etc. I want to see EVERYBODY represented. And everybody paid handsomely.

tubgirl
02-07-2007, 06:01 AM
Today, there are 32 teams in the league but only 6 black head coaches. Thats 18 per cent when roughly 70 per cent of the players in the NFL today are black. There have been 41 Superbowls, meaning 82 Superbowl coaches. 97.5 per cent of the coaches to ever reach the big game were white. Maybe, in a few more years, a few more black coaches can shift some of those huge differential percentages a little. Then it will be something that can be taken for granted, but for now, after 41 years (during the first 25 of which there were no black coaches in the NFL at all) finally having two African Americans coaching in the Superbowl deserves recognition and a comment or two. There needs to be color to see before you can truly claim to be color blind.

FK

shouldn't that same stat be quoted another way, though?

out of the entire US population, i believe (and i reserve the right to be wrong on this) that only 5-15% are black males. if 70% of the players are black, shouldn't that be pointed out also?

Realgirls4me
02-07-2007, 06:13 AM
Actually I hear ya, Realgirls4me. I also want to see more Latino persons represented in the commercials, TV shows, etc. I want to see EVERYBODY represented. And everybody paid handsomely.

All I would like is fair proportional representation. If we, Mexican-Americans, are the largest minority in the country, then shouldn't the media represent that fact, racial stereotypes (cooks,gardeners,hotel workers,et all) notwithstanding? If an African-American family, for example, is going to be shown at McDonalds or in the market for a new car, why can't THE LARGEST MINORITY also be shown in the same light? We're business people, home buyers, car buyers, Congressmen, Mayors, Senators, etc., and yet when does one see one Mexican-American by him or herself on a major commercial or on the red carpets of a major Hollywood award show?

The ad agency that finally gets around and discovers the hidden giant will be rewarded handsomely.

a994
02-07-2007, 06:18 AM
And as long as we're on the subject, what about Native Americans?

Realgirls4me
02-07-2007, 06:39 AM
And as long as we're on the subject, what about Native Americans?

Of course. They have been and are far more invisible than Mexican-Americans are today in the media. I was glad to see that a sliver of their contributions to this country got their due in Windtalkers a few years ago with Nicolas Cage. Now if only someone in Hollywood would just redo Hell To Eternity without someone as the late Jeffrey Hunter cast as the lead. Not only was Guy Galbadon -- the Mexican-American supposedly depicted in the movie -- not Italian, he also wasn't blond haired and blue eyed as Hunter was. I guess Mexican-Americans can't be depicted as heroes also. :(

twowaybro
02-07-2007, 09:03 AM
the best thing about this Super Bowl was the following.... O)+> 8) 8)

The Real Deal....best of my generation!!!!

Ratbutt
02-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Flamebait crap

The forum is called "Hungangels", now unless there were some T-Girls on that field or back at the hotels waiting for the players to get home the original post doesn't belong on the board.

There were alot of girls in Miami for the game though. Hope you got paid ladies, whether it was black, white, mexican or asian love that you got we love you all...

wombat33
02-07-2007, 07:57 PM
I was pulling for the Colts because Tampa Bay did Tony Dungy wrong, he built that team up and they gave him the axe.

The icing on the cake was the fact that it was the best Super Bowl in years.

Best Superbowl in years??

hmmmmmmmm

Realgirls4me
02-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Though I agree that Dungy deserved a Super Bowl appearance and win after setting the table at Tampa Bay for Gruden's team to appear, on the excitement scale that had to be one of the lamest, most boring Super Bowls ever. The winner? I'd say the rain, and I'm not talking about any purple one.

hwbs
02-07-2007, 10:30 PM
regardless of race, tony dungy is one of the class acts in the nfl....you would have to look real far to find a guy in the nfl that doesnt like coach dungy...