PDA

View Full Version : Trip-hop: Any suggestions?

Kabuki
02-03-2007, 04:01 AM
I'm a huge music fan. I actually listen to a variety of music, and I always look forward to discovering new gems. At the moment, I'm in the mood to listen to some decent Trip-hop. I was wondering if anyone here could suggest any artists or albums?

Examples of Trip-hop artists: Portishead, Esthero, Bjork's Homogenic album...

What is Trip-Hop: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trip_hop

hwbs
02-03-2007, 04:19 AM
id say for starters, massive attack (mezzanine) ....portishead (dummy).....sneaker pimps are real good also.... also, if u goto the yahoo radio station, there is a good trip hop station (chill out)....

Kabuki
02-03-2007, 04:47 AM
id say for starters, massive attack (mezzanine) ....portishead (dummy).....sneaker pimps are real good also.... also, if u goto the yahoo radio station, there is a good trip hop station (chill out)....

I actually own both Portishead albums, and an Import remix cd. I need the live album. Portishead is back in the studio supposedly :D I also own the first Sneaker Pimps album. I heard that the Massive Attack album is a must have.

TomSelis
02-03-2007, 05:06 AM
Can't go wrong with Tricky's Maxinquaye either.

emmettray
02-03-2007, 05:47 AM
Can I also suggest the works of Zero 7 and Lemon Jelly. Carpe diem.

blackmagic
02-03-2007, 06:11 AM
I'm a huge music fan. I actually listen to a variety of music, and I always look forward to discovering new gems. At the moment, I'm in the mood to listen to some decent Trip-hop. I was wondering if anyone here could suggest any artists or albums?

:? http://www.starstreams.com/

im to lazy to type names :roll:

Kabuki
02-03-2007, 06:15 AM

:? http://www.starstreams.com/

im to lazy to type names :roll:

I haven't listened to Art of Noise in years. Now I'm thinking about Enigma :D

Twinkie_Rameriez
02-03-2007, 06:51 AM
Lovage

Dan The Automator + Mike Patton + Jenifer Charles = Awesomness

Solitary Brother
02-03-2007, 07:09 AM
DJ KRUSH.......
from japan.

Kabuki
02-03-2007, 07:14 AM
RJD2's work is pretty good as well.

NiceBod
02-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Don't forget Hooverphonic

tetsuo
03-31-2007, 06:19 AM
THe first sneaker pimps cd, Cold Cut, DJ Food.

Kabuki
03-31-2007, 06:27 AM

The first Sneaker Pimps cd is alright. I own that one. Too bad the lead singer had to leave, and make a bad solo album.

tetsuo
03-31-2007, 06:32 AM

The first Sneaker Pimps cd is alright. I own that one. Too bad the lead singer had to leave, and make a bad solo album.Yeah, She has a great voice though. Sneaker pimps really bombed when she left (got kicked out)

THATSMISSJUNECUZYANASTY
03-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Hey Kabuki!-
I totally share your love for music and appreciate a variety of different genres. Bjork is pretty fucking kick ass (though not all her songs are considered trip hop... she has some pretty amazing trip hop gems- like "Joga" ONE OF MY FAVORITES!!! :D )

Kriss
03-31-2007, 07:18 AM
, Cold Cut, DJ Food.

YEP. Actually these two acts are the same person/people, mostly matt black who seems to be involved with much of the NINJA TUNE label. This label is really a great place to check for TRIP HOP, they really are of that genre. Particularly DJ Food (seems to have sampled my dad's entire record collection of 70's jazz funk). A Brighton (u.k.) label called TRU THOUGHTS has some exellent TRIP HOP artists, particularly BONOBO and possibly Quantic, lost track of that scene really. RED SNAPPER is a good group featuring LIVE instruments, double bass, etc. The Bristol stuff's been covered already. Some good dark moments on FutureSoundOfLondon's DEAD CITIES album but little actual trip hop. SQUAREPUSHER, really more a jazz-drum+bass artist has made some good slow trip-hoppy tunes, heavy on the bass guitar. Really there are FEW true TRIP HOP acts other than the BRISTOL MOB, massive attack,tricky,portishead. Does anyone remember what label PALMSKINPRODUCTIONS was on? MO WAX? I think MO WAX might bne a good label to check, more jazzy trip hop i think.
OR
Just get your old CYPRESS HILL 45rpm records, play them at 33, turn all treble down on the stereo and muffle the speakers with pillows, do about 40 bongs and you should get the same effect

Kabuki
03-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Hey Kabuki!-
I totally share your love for music and appreciate a variety of different genres. Bjork is pretty fucking kick ass (though not all her songs are considered trip hop... she has some pretty amazing trip hop gems- like "Joga" ONE OF MY FAVORITES!!! :D )

Yes, Bjork is amazing. Homogenic is my fave.

mBomb
04-01-2007, 09:17 AM
dj shadow, faithless, Gotye, Inga Liljestrom, Lamb, kruder & dorfmeister, Supreme Beings of Leisure, Yonderboi, and zero 7.

that should be enough to hold you over :)

Kabuki
04-01-2007, 09:40 AM
dj shadow, faithless, Gotye, Inga Liljestrom, Lamb, kruder & dorfmeister, Supreme Beings of Leisure, Yonderboi, and zero 7.

that should be enough to hold you over :)

I have the Supreme Beings of Leisure album. It still gets a lot of play here.

idiot savant
04-01-2007, 09:53 AM
I would suggest Quantic, Boards of Canada,D'nell,King kooba,Four tet,and Styrofoam.

Kriss
04-01-2007, 11:50 AM
dj shadow, kruder & dorfmeister,

These artist DO make "trip-hop"

faithless, Lamb, and zero 7.

Are definately NOT "trip-hop" at all. sure these artists use a few sparse beats around 138 bpm but hardly anyone outside of the BRISTOL MAFIA CONNECTION doesn't really fall into this genre. tHE artists listed above make pop muaic that falls into other sub-catregories but it's not really trip hop.

Bjork's contribution to this 'sound' via the 'Homegenic' album is largely down to her choice of producer, the very talented and media savvy Nellie Cooper, another offspring off the original Bristolians 'The Wild Bunch' who Re-generated into 'Massive Attack'. You're welcome "moi lover"

Cat
04-01-2007, 11:56 AM
DJ Krush

And Zero 7 is regarded as trip-hop, Kriss.

Kriss
04-01-2007, 12:18 PM
And Zero 7 is regarded as trip-hop, Kriss.

not by me

ZERO 7 is MARKETED AS 'trip-hop'. Really this is a BRISTOL TING and not a worldwide phenomenon. Its a dumb label that doesn't really mean anything and a misnomer to boot. "TRIP-HOP " implies some 'journey' or 'trip' , usually accossiated with psychedelic (which literally means 'to reveal to the psyche') plants. This is however not descriptive of the musical atmoshpere at all, really it should be called "skunk-hop" or "bong-hop" as that is what they all be doin. Zero 7 make atmospheric music and they are caners but it don't make em 'trip-hop'. that scene is over by some 6 years...

But if you want heavy, stoned, u.k. hip hop beats with intelligent lyrics, dubwise production AND a Bristol connection.......ROOTS MANUVA. not trip hop at all, too rhythmically diverse and lyrically involved but very good and really where the 'sound' started to progress after everyone agreed they had heard 'dummy' by portishead 100 times too many.

sexyredman
04-01-2007, 02:55 PM
You might also want to check for Cinematic Orchestra, Thievery Corporation, Fila Brasilia, and Nightmares on Wax.

This dude Flying Lotus doesn't do trip-hop but atmospheric hiphop-tinged instrumentals.

And for a more electronic but dark sound check for Dabrye or Prefuse 73.

Kabuki
05-17-2007, 03:43 AM
Anymore suggestions? Anything with a trip-hop feel actually. I've been playing a lot of Bittersweet lately. I heard the latest Bjork album isn't bad either. I'm in love with her Homogenic album still. I really need to pick up The Bird & The Bee album.

I spend a lot of time on www.amazon.com listening to snippets of tracks from various albums. Looking for that next gem...that next album that can compete with Portishead.

SkyTwo
05-18-2007, 06:47 AM
Anymore suggestions? Anything with a trip-hop feel actually. I've been playing a lot of Bittersweet lately. I heard the latest Bjork album isn't bad either. I'm in love with her Homogenic album still. I really need to pick up The Bird & The Bee album.

I spend a lot of time on www.amazon.com listening to snippets of tracks from various albums. Looking for that next gem...that next album that can compete with Portishead.

I'd be more than happy to chime in. First, if you don't have Beth Gibbons with Rustin Man's album (Out of Season), buy it immediately. I love Portishead, but the live album is lackluster in spite of the great concept of orchestral backing. Another oldie-but-goodie is Massive Attack's Mezzanine. They're both pretty damn dark, but among the best. Tricky's debut, Maxinquaye, has a couple of outstanding tracks (Ponderosa and Pumpkin) but is otherwise forgettable. His later releases were just plain bad (he got his earliest exposure as part of the Massive Attack crew). I always thought Morcheeba was annoying, in spite of their 'standing' in the genre. Same for Moloco. There was a one-album group called Mono that wasn't bad-- a little more coy than your standard trip-hop outfit.

I think trip-hop is one of those genres that tended to produce albums with a couple of great ideas and a lot of filler, unfortunately. Laika released pretty decent stuff, so you might check out their two-disc retrospective. I forget the title. And somebody mentioned Hooverphonic, which also had a couple of great tracks and lots of crap. And I wish I could recommend Mulu-- another flash in the pan-- but their album was a huge letdown after their outstanding singles.

Knock yerself out, Kabu-chan.

emmettray
05-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Kabuki, you might want to check out Smoke City and their particularly beautiful track 'Bossanova'. Trip-hop, lo-fi, who cares? Just listen and drift away. Works for me. Enjoy!

SkyTwo
05-20-2007, 01:36 AM
Smoke City, I thought, is one of those hit-or-miss groups. But I did forget to mention a good one-- Goldfrapp.

emmettray
05-22-2007, 01:17 AM
I couldn't swear to it Skytwo but I think Smoke City may be an anglo-Brazilian set-up. But I really wasn't attempting to impart other than whatever it is, it works for me: trip hop, lo-fi, latin laid back, bossanova-samba, whatever? It seems to hit the target its aiming for. Certainly for me, and if not for me, why not for anyone else ;o)
Carpe diem.

afterburner
05-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Try Ben Westbeech's "Best Years of My Life" - not trip hop in a narrow sense, but excellent downbeat material. Everybody I had given this album to absolutely loved it. For some darker stuff, try the 2nd CD of Breakage's "This too Shall Pass". Superb...