PDA

View Full Version : Ah, the beatiful game.

demmie
01-31-2007, 12:21 AM
I love soccer.

Being of German, English, Irish, Scottish, Romanian, Serbian, and Armenian (possibly French if you go back that far) descent, soccer, more properly known as football, futbol, fussball, etcetera, runs in my blood.

Players? Try: Franz Beckenbauer, Wayne Rooney, Eric Cantona, Zinedine Zidane, Oliver Kahn, Christiano Ronaldo, Gheorghe Hagi, Pele, Eto'o, Maradona, Riquelme, Cisse, Raul, Fabio Cannavaro, Duff, Shevchenko, etcetera.

Man, I own a pair of PUMA v-Kons and had some adidas Bracara before that.

For me, soccer is life.

And I was wondering if anyone else here on the HungAngels forum shared the passion with me.

blckhaze
01-31-2007, 08:13 AM
well, i just got into soccer around 2000, mainly because of the game FIFA. I've seen a few of the older game more devoted soccer fans have spoken about, plus with the recent development of the channel FSC (Fox Soccer Channel) I'm able to catch alot of games now. Every year since 200 Ive become to understand and become ore interested in Soccer.
My fave players are Ronaldinho (rivals beckham on Freekicks and is WAY more explosive with the ball on his feet), Messi (great speed and hes only 19. cant wait till he get healthy on that Barcelona team), Kaka (another Brazilian wonder), Totti (great attacking midfeilder), and Cristiano Ronaldo (as good a shooter as he is a passer on the wing).
I hope soccer becomes bigger in the US, cause its done major things in other countries. The World cup in 2006 was a good sign as the matches were being watched, but until the US can get outta the group stages, we wont attract better foreign talent, or keep our best here.

demmie
01-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Thank you.

Yeah, the World Cup this year was nice. Especially since teams like Trinidad and Tobago, and Angola, etc. got first chances. It was said that two fighting factions stopped for a day just to watch a match with Pele or Hagi...can't remember which.

hwbs
02-01-2007, 06:18 AM
ive always watched the world cup , since I was a teenager...ive been watching more matches now that I have a 24 hour futbol channel. It is also great to watch in HD :lol:

LG
02-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Hey demmie,

The beautiful game is fun to both play and watch (unlike say, golf which is tedious to watch), it is accessible to everyone because you need no more than a football and markers for goalposts to play it (unlike many games which require special clothing or equipment), it can be played by 2 or 22 (unlike tennis which cannot be played by more than 2 or by more than 4 players in a doubles game).

Football is universal: everyone knows it and loves it; the rules are simple and easily understood (unlike baseball, cricket, especially, but also gridiron or rugby with their more complex rules and different ways of scoring points); it can be played by young or old, big or small. Unlike basketball and rugby or gridiron you don't need to be tall or muscular- a little runt with a lot of talent can run rings around a talentless hulk. All these things have turned football into the world game.

Then there is the talent on show. We used to have Cruyff, Best, Beckenbauer, Pele and Maradona. More recently we've seen Cantona, Zola, Zidane, Bergkamp, Gullit, van Basten and Platini. Playing along side them were players like Bryan Robson and Graeme Souness, less talented perhaps but they fought like real warriors, chasing every ball. They were the Vieiras and Gattusos of the 1980s.

Nowadays we see players of supreme talent like Cristiano Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Messi. The football is still exciting as ever.

And, let me tell you, nothing beats a full house in a 90,000 seater stadium on a big night. The roar of the crowd, even in a small ground, can be deafening. The songs that some fans come up with can be as witty as anything you might here in a comedy club. And, even if the fans are quiet, the passion on the pitch makes up for it.

I don't think you get this in any other sport.

--------
A question to our American friends. What do you think of David Beckham's imminent arrival in LA? Can he succeed where others have failed and convince Americans to take interest in the global game? Back in the 1970s, Pele almost managed this. He was a better player, but Becks is a bigger star.

blckhaze
02-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Hey demmie,

The beautiful game is fun to both play and watch (unlike say, golf which is tedious to watch), it is accessible to everyone because you need no more than a football and markers for goalposts to play it (unlike many games which require special clothing or equipment), it can be played by 2 or 22 (unlike tennis which cannot be played by more than 2 or by more than 4 players in a doubles game).

Football is universal: everyone knows it and loves it; the rules are simple and easily understood (unlike baseball, cricket, especially, but also gridiron or rugby with their more complex rules and different ways of scoring points); it can be played by young or old, big or small. Unlike basketball and rugby or gridiron you don't need to be tall or muscular- a little runt with a lot of talent can run rings around a talentless hulk. All these things have turned football into the world game.

Then there is the talent on show. We used to have Cruyff, Best, Beckenbauer, Pele and Maradona. More recently we've seen Cantona, Zola, Zidane, Bergkamp, Gullit, van Basten and Platini. Playing along side them were players like Bryan Robson and Graeme Souness, less talented perhaps but they fought like real warriors, chasing every ball. They were the Vieiras and Gattusos of the 1980s.

Nowadays we see players of supreme talent like Cristiano Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Messi. The football is still exciting as ever.

And, let me tell you, nothing beats a full house in a 90,000 seater stadium on a big night. The roar of the crowd, even in a small ground, can be deafening. The songs that some fans come up with can be as witty as anything you might here in a comedy club. And, even if the fans are quiet, the passion on the pitch makes up for it.

I don't think you get this in any other sport.

--------
A question to our American friends. What do you think of David Beckham's imminent arrival in LA? Can he succeed where others have failed and convince Americans to take interest in the global game? Back in the 1970s, Pele almost managed this. He was a better player, but Becks is a bigger star.

agreed. soccer is a game for all, which makes it so popular. it doesnt take toi long to learn and can be entertaining both on a amatuer level and a profesional level. Nothing better than watching your special someone bust thier butt trying to play :)

demmie
02-27-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm going to cry. You guys made my life.

And Beckham should go with someone else. The LA Galaxy is a so-so team.

ezed
02-28-2007, 06:57 AM
Hey demmie,

(unlike say, golf which is tedious to watch)

But great when you wanna take a nap! The annoucers never loud up.

ucthick69
03-17-2007, 05:57 AM
I'm going to cry. You guys made my life.

And Beckham should go with someone else. The LA Galaxy is a so-so team.

well La Galaxy as a team may be so-so but La the city sure is not, and im sure the wife had some say to what city they were going to