PDA

View Full Version : Abscam,Ethics,and Baghdad Murtha

White_Male_Canada
01-28-2007, 07:45 PM
What is on the rest of Congressman Jack Murtha's now infamous FBI tape? Much more than the available video reveals.

http://mfile.akamai.com/5020/wmv/rushlimb.download.akamai.com/5020/Video/FBIAbscamMurtha.asx

Still, only a brief, 13-second snippet of a tape of the FBI's undercover meeting with Murtha is widely available. The agent tells him, "I went out, I got the $50,000. OK? So what you're telling me, OK, you're telling me that that's not what you know...." Murtha replies, "I'm not interested. I'm sorry. At this point [emphasis Murtha's]."

"I want to deal with you guys awhile before I make any transactions at all, period.... After we've done some business, well, then I might change my mind...."

..."I'm going to tell you this. If anybody can do it -- I'm not B.S.-ing you fellows -- I can get it done my way." he boasted. "There's no question about it."...

================================================== =====

Murtha is no stranger to ethics controversies.

Some of his largest campaign contributions came from the clients of Washington lobbying firms that represent beneficiaries of his earmarks.

Among them is a firm, Ervin Technical Associates, chaired by a former House colleague, Joseph M. McDade, who was accused in 1992 of providing earmarks in exchange for campaign contributions and gifts. He was charged with bribery and racketeering for accepting gifts and other benefits from defense interests, but was acquitted.

McDade and other principals of the firm could not be reached for comment, but an independent contractor working with the firm said the firm had the highest integrity, and defended the need for earmarks generally.

Another firm associated with Murtha, the PMA Group, is led by Paul Magliocchetti, who worked with Murtha as a senior staffer on the defense appropriations subcommittee for a decade. The PMA Group and 11 of the firm's clients rank in the top 20 contributors to Murtha, with campaign contributions totaling $274,649 in this election cycle, according to calculations by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a left-leaning watchdog group.

The 2004 defense appropriations bill provided earmarks for 10 companies represented by a lobbying firm in which his brother, Robert "Kit" Murtha, was a senior partner. The Los Angeles Times first reported in 2005 on Robert Murtha's lobbying activities for the firm, KSA Consulting.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-earmarks16nov16,0,6810343.story?page=2&coll=la-home-headlines