PDA

View Full Version : Best Grunge Rock Songs Ever

chefmike
01-28-2007, 12:27 AM
I saw this in Rolling Stone today:

We keep hearing that a ’90s alternative rock revival is imminent. And that’s great. But before we’re inundated with another generation of Nirvana impersonators, let’s nail down the best grunge rock anthems of all time. Our picks are below, what are yours?

“Smells Like Teen Spirit” - Nirvana
“Jeremy” - Pearl Jam
“Doll Parts” - Hole
“Black Hole Sun” - Soundgarden
“Man In the Box” - Alice In Chains

My top five (off the top of my head and subject to change):

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana
"Black" - Pearl Jam
"Man In the Box" (or damn near anything by them) - Alice In Chains
"Pretty Noose" - Soundgarden
"Wicked Garden" - Stone Temple Pilots

suckseed
01-28-2007, 12:33 AM
That's pretty good, but I'd vote 'Outshined' by SG....I once made my entire neighborhood listen to the drum breakdown over and over...just testing the new powered monitors....

TomSelis
01-28-2007, 02:08 AM
I always liked "Plush" and "Big Empty" by STP best.

"Low-Self Esteem" by Offspring was a good grunge song too.

So for me it's:

1) Plush

2) Big Empty

3) Low-self Esteem

P.S. Hole needs to be taken off that list. Any song by the Pixies is better than Hole. Sooooo...

4) Velouria

Smog Boy
01-28-2007, 02:15 AM
Any track from Jar of Flies or Sap.

suckseed
01-28-2007, 02:33 AM
I've always been amazed that people could be aware of Led Zep and bands like Soundgarden and Tool, and still give two shits what Axl 'might do next.' Whatever it turns out to be, it'll probably have all the relevance to what rock is about of a Bryan Adams or Foghat ditty.

blackmagic
01-28-2007, 02:46 AM
Top 5

Metallica :twisted:

Nirvana :twisted:

Tool :twisted:

Foo Fighters 8)

All american rejects :?

Coroner
01-28-2007, 04:26 AM
He means Grunge, dude. Metallica (at least Kill ´Em All, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and ... And Justice For All) were Thrash Metal during the booming-era of Grunge, late 80ies and early 90ies. Metallica are playing just shit today to make bucks (thanks Lars Ulrich, you retard). Ok, hm, :lol:

I like some Grunge stuff like Alice in Chains (R.I.P. Layne Staley), Pearl Jam, Mudhoney or Soundgarden (claimed themselves a Zen Metal band whatever this means). It´s a shame that Chris Cornell fucked upo his voice back in 1997 because that´s the reason why Soundgarden broke up.

Nirvana? I still don´t get that kiddy fascination with Nirvana and it should be mentioned that Nirvana were not Grunge because that genre was establishied years before thanks to bands like Green River, probably Mother Love Bone and Soundgarden, too.

I´m not really into Grunge but you folks should check out Temple of The Dog. It´s a tribute album to Andy Wood who died in 1990. Andy was the frontman of the (Glam) Grunge formation Mother Love Bone and Temple of The Dog was just a project made of members of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. I think it was released in 1991.

My top Grunge songs would be:

Temple of The Dog - Hungerstrike
Pearl Jam - Jeremy
Alice in Chains - Man in The Box
Alice in Chains - Rooster
Alice in Chains - Down in A Hole
Soundgarden - Jesus Christ Pose (more experimential than standard-grunge)
Mother Love Bone - Stargazer

..... there´s a rumour that it was Neil Young who started the Grunge-wave..... maybe, White Male Canada will start a new music genre, too. Like Donnie Davies :lol:

tetsuo
01-28-2007, 05:37 AM
Im sorry but are these bands transsexual bands?

hwbs
01-28-2007, 06:28 AM
i like offspring , bush ,stp, and some fucking local h ... :D

Smog Boy
01-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Neil Young is often referred to as The Godfather of Grunge.

chefmike
01-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Im sorry but are these bands transsexual bands?

No.

Now zip it up and move along, sparky.

JelenaCD
01-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Nirvana 'Come as you are ' is my fav right now

Smog Boy
01-29-2007, 12:49 AM
Does anyone know the name of the Nirvana CD that came out after Nevermind?

suckseed
01-29-2007, 12:51 AM
In Utero?