PDA

View Full Version : Your Ultimate Rock Super Group

bigd321
01-22-2007, 08:29 PM
The thread about the greatest band got me thinking. What would the ultimate (http://dustlyn.com/map.html) band be? I realize this is all opinion but still interesting to see what gfy will come up with. Mine would be something like this:
Vocals: Freddie MercuryQueenor Steve Perry of Journey (http://dustlyn.com/topless/index.html)
Rhythm Guitar: Randy RhodesOzzySince he can't play as well as he used to I'd sub him with Alex Lifeson of Rush
Lead Guitar: Eddie Van HalenVan HalenIf he couldn't do the gig, Carlos Santana
Bass: John EntwistleThe WhoGeddy Lee of Rush, or a last minute fill in Chris Squire of Yes would be fine too
Keyboards: Keith EmersonELP
Drums: Neil PeartRush of course.If Neil were unavailable (http://dustlyn.com/voyeurism/index.html), I'd take Mark ZonderFates Warning or Terry Bozio of Zappa, and Missing Persons
No idea what their music would sound like but it'd be cool to see them all on one stage at the same time.

Um, "Randy Rhoades can't play as good as he used to" because he's DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol the dudes been dead for like 25 yrs almost.

But the greatest Rock band ever would be Freddie Mercury, Jimi Hendrix, Ringo Starr, Bootsy Collins.

eagleman12
01-22-2007, 08:33 PM
My all time favorite
Led Zepplin :rock2

atomic1975
01-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Deffo has to be Jimmy Page on guitar.
Elvis vocals
Keith Moon drums
Flea on Bass

J Money
01-22-2007, 09:04 PM
zakk wylde / angus young guitars. vinnie paul drums. david draiman lead vox. and fieldy bass that would be kick ass!!

Mista Bone
01-22-2007, 10:04 PM
vocals~Jeff Scott Soto
drums~Tommy Lee
guitars~Richie Sambora
guitars~Jake E Lee
bass~Eddie Jackson

tg4me
01-22-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm not sure I would rate these as the best, but they are good enough and they bring more than one talent to the band.

- Bass, keyboard/vocals/writing-Sting

-drums/vocals/writing- Don Henley

-Keyboard/vocals,composer- Sir Elton

-Guitar/writing/vocals/composer-Paul Simon

- Lead Guitar/vocals/writing-Clapton just because I see him blending with the others more than Hendrix

tg4me
01-22-2007, 11:37 PM
My kick-ass band:

Bass-Stanley Clarke

Guitars - Al DiMeola, Hendrix

Drums- Billy Cobham

Keyboards- Jan Hammer

Elec Violin- Jon Luc Ponty

No need for a singer

chefmike
01-23-2007, 12:54 AM
Lead Vocals-Donny and Marie Osmond

Guitar/backup vocals-Hose Feliciano

Bass-that jackass from the Stray Cats

Drums-Karen Carpenter

Tambourine-Davy Jones from the Monkees

Cowbell-"More cowbell!"

Drunken Slut-Courtney Love

peggygee
01-23-2007, 04:19 AM
My favorite rock group was Parliment - Funkadelic. :rock2

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/U110P28T3D296091F326DT2004020916023.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/Funkadelic-Maggot_Brain-BC.jpg

lilkiba
01-23-2007, 06:53 AM
Vox Robert Plant

Guitar Page

Bass John Paul Jones

Drums John Bonham

......dont think that combos been done but I get a feeling it would rock...

ezed
01-23-2007, 07:19 AM
You can't make a band of superstars. Bands happen!
My vote:
A tie -
The Who
Led Zepplin
Cream
Any band Hendrix played with

The best band ever not limiting to rock ------
The Beatles hands down

CORVETTEDUDE
01-23-2007, 07:55 AM
My all time favorite
Led Zepplin :rock2

'NUFF SAID!!!!! :rock2 :rock2 :rock2 :rock2 :rock2

Slither
01-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Vocals - Maynard James Keenan
Guitars - Buckethead and Kerry King
Bass - Tommy Stinson
Drums - Danny Carey

ELAGESE
01-23-2007, 08:05 AM
Tyrone Biggums

thejuggernaughtbytch
01-23-2007, 08:08 AM
tyrone would do it for a spoonful of crack, so u wouldnt have to worry about ur budget

a994
01-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Too many groups for me to mention. And I agree with the person who said "bands happen;" they either coalesce or they don't. You can't force it to happen.

That said, my fave rock bands are:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience
The Mahavishnu Orchestra
The Grateful Dead (circa 1968-74)
Tony Williams' Lifetime
Miles Davis' various electric line-ups, 1968-75
Egg
Hatfield And the North
National Health
Happy The Man
Yes
Genesis (when Peter Gabriel was around, and their first two albums without him)
Jefferson Airplane
Country Joe and the Fish
Melodic Energy Commission (Canadian space/experimental group, 1979-81)
Thinking Plague
Ash Ra Tempel
Tangerine Dream (circa 1970-75)
Funkadelic (especially the early stuff)
L.A. Carnival (Nebraska funk band, circa 1969-70)
Stark Reality (out-there psych/jazz/funk, circa 1969-70)
Kool And the Gang (from 1969-mid-'70s)
The JBs
Pink Floyd (BEFORE Dark Side Of the Moon)
Mwandishi (featuring Herbie Hancock)
Tortoise
Stereolab
Refugee

dan_drade
01-23-2007, 08:18 AM
AC/DC
Need I say more?

thejuggernaughtbytch
01-23-2007, 08:24 AM
i would put together the ultimate jam badn for summer-series concerts...

stevie ray vaughn-guitar

george clinton-vocals.

dave matthews-guitar and vocals

trey anastastio-guitar and vocals

theloneus monk-trumpet vocals

billy joel, elton john, chris martin-pianos/vocals

john popper-harmonica

miri bin ari-electric violins

charlie daniels-fiddle

boyd tinsley, tito fuentes and tommy lee- drums

bb king-guitar...

that would fuckin jam out till' the sun came up

i would definitely hang out with my wang out

altarica
01-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Vox Robert Plant

Guitar Page

Bass John Paul Jones

Drums John Bonham

Yeah it most definitely rocked like a motherfucker,and I should know having been there live and direct way back in '75.
To those of you who never got to see the greatest rock band that ever strode the earth like colossi.Tough,read 'em and weep.

bigd321
01-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Vox Robert Plant

Guitar Page

Bass John Paul Jones

Drums John Bonham

Yeah it most definitely rocked like a motherfucker,and I should know having been there live and direct way back in '75.
To those of you who never got to see the greatest rock band that ever strode the earth like colossi.Tough,read 'em and weep.

Queen would've blew Led Zeppelin away any day of the week. In fact Queen did in 1985 during their embarrassing "reunion" during live aid. Robert Plant was done vocally live by 1975 anyway. Too much coke.

atomic1975
01-23-2007, 09:17 PM
As a fan of Queen and Led Zeppelin, I have to disagree. Plants voice was suffering Mid 1970s but after the time out it was fine again. And don't forget where Queen were emotionally and career wise before Live Aid - days from quitting.
Zep at their peak Vs Queen at theirs - Zep would edge it on material, musicianship and performance, but I reckon Queen and only Queen would be pushing them all the way to the wire

Smog Boy
01-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Vocals - Jim Morrison
Keyboards - Trent Reznor
Drums - Keith Moon
Guitar - Jimi Hendrix / Clapton.

Or just the band that had Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, George Harrison and Bob Dylan in it.

arc angel
01-23-2007, 11:57 PM
- steve vai -lead guitar ( STEVE VAI )
- geddy lee - bass (RUSH)
- stuart copland- drums (THE POLICE)
- john bell-rythem/vocals (WIDESPREAD PANIC)
- jim laughlen-percussion (MOE)
- page mconnell-chairmen of the boards (PHISH)

on a good night , winton marcelis or miles davis sittin inn

bigd321
01-24-2007, 12:10 AM
As a fan of Queen and Led Zeppelin, I have to disagree. Plants voice was suffering Mid 1970s but after the time out it was fine again. And don't forget where Queen were emotionally and career wise before Live Aid - days from quitting.
Zep at their peak Vs Queen at theirs - Zep would edge it on material, musicianship and performance, but I reckon Queen and only Queen would be pushing them all the way to the wire

i think jimmy page was pretty sloppy a lot, I don't think Robert Plant is btter singer than Freddie. I love the sound of John Deacons bas on the records but I think tht has more to do with the recording method than his talent, even thogh he's great bu I'mm give Jones the edge and Bonham was a much better Drummer than Roger Taylor. Also Queen were never gonna break up, I never saw any indication of that.

TomSelis
01-24-2007, 12:20 AM
I'm glad Queen's getting a lot of love.

Alternate Supergroup:

Guitars: Prince and Eddie Van Halen
Drums: Keith Moon
Bass: Ike Turner
Vocals: Roger Daltrey

TheBigTreesy
01-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Won't work, its been done - The Travelling Wilburys

Roy Orbison - the greatest rock and rool singer of all time

Bob Dylan - the greatest songwriter of all time

George Harrisson - lead guitarist with greatest band of all time

Tom Petty - legendary rocker, say no more.

Jeff Lynne - of elo fame, well theres always one, he was sort of aking up the numbers!

ezed
01-24-2007, 07:37 AM
You're all wrong!!!!!!

HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THE MONKEES!!!!!!!!!

iebwnj
01-24-2007, 08:10 AM
Iron Maiden

Bruce Dickinson - greatest rock vocalist ever
Steve Harris - greatest metal song writer ever

bassman2546
01-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Drums - Neil Peart (no one else compares. Someone said Tommy Lee. That's too funny)

Bass - Geddy Lee (The most amazing Bass player ever)

Guitar - Eddie Van Halen (Pre - 1984; he's blown ever since) or Alex Lifeson

Vocals - Robert Plant (when he could sing. Hasn't been able to for 30 years)

Keyboards? - Don't make me laugh. Not required.

atomic1975
01-28-2007, 01:34 PM

i think jimmy page was pretty sloppy a lot, I don't think Robert Plant is btter singer than Freddie. I love the sound of John Deacons bas on the records but I think tht has more to do with the recording method than his talent, even thogh he's great bu I'mm give Jones the edge and Bonham was a much better Drummer than Roger Taylor. Also Queen were never gonna break up, I never saw any indication of that.

You a Van Halen fan? Jimmy Page was a perfectly precise guitarist until he started smacking up, and ocninues to be spot on these days. Ironic that he got such a slating from EVH back in the late 70s (EVH having drawn heavily on Page's style too) for being "sloppy" - which is where that "Page is Sloppy" myth originates - when nowadays EVH can barely lift a guitar for all the holes in his arms.

But I digress, your main point was about Queen - from what I've read in magazines around the time of the Miracle and one non-official book, Queen weren't having the best of times getting along following Radio Gaga /The Works and the subsequent tour. There are a lot of people who believe that if Freddie hadn't have been ill, Queen would have just drifted apar. I for one am glad they didn't, as we wouldn't have had the wonderful Innuendo album, or even Made in Heaven, which I particularly enjoy lately.

One other point. John Deacon has nothing to do with Queen these days because - I have heard rumoured in several places, and on TV - some years ago (probably between A Kind of Magic and The Miracle) Roger Taylor visited QUeen's warehouse of instruments with his band The Cross, and "borrowed" one of JD's favourite bass guitars without asking...

JelenaCD
01-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Vocals - Graham Bonnet ,
Guitar - Steve Vai or Hendrix
Drums- Billy cobham
Bass- Les Claypool
Producer - Jeff Lynne

oldto77
01-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Television