PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Girlfriend, The Venture Brothers and Transsexualism

NYCe
12-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Completely stolen from Wikipedia and may contain some spoilers, but an excellent read nevertheless.

And for those of you to whom the topic title reads as gibbberish, The Venture Brothers is a "adult" cartoon series that airs late at night in the Adult swim block of programming on the Cartoon Network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Girlfriend

Sexuality and rumors of transsexualism

One of the running gags of the show's run is the rumor amongst characters that Dr. Girlfriend is in truth a transsexual. These rumors are partially based upon the fact that the character is voiced by Doc Hammer, whose portrayal of the character's voice is a deep, masculine sounding tone.

Jackson Publick (who voiced Dr. Girlfriend in the show's pilot episode) admitted in a first season DVD commentary that his first attempt at providing her voice was primarily a poor imitation of Harvey Fierstein. Furthermore, the animation for the pilot episode "The Terrible Secret of Turtle Bay" and season one premiere episode "Dia de Los Dangerous!" have Dr. Girlfriend appearing to have an Adam's apple, an error in animation that was removed for all subsequent episodes involving the character.

The writers themselves have fueled the rumors themselves by having characters on the show acknowledge the rumor that Dr. Girlfriend used to be a man. One example of this rumor was a conversation between Pete White and Billy Quizboy in the episode "Tag Sale – You're It!". While talking about the rumors of Dr. Girlfriend being a transsexual, Billy Quizboy proclaimed that the rumors were true and that he knew for a fact that Dr. Girlfriend had been surgically implanted with a baboon's uterus. His believability, however, is questionable given the rumor-mongering nature of the conversation.

Most notable, though, is Brock Samson's own skeptical belief that Dr. Girlfriend is a woman. While shown to be utterly indiscriminate in his sexual pursuits, Brock has never once thought about having sex with Dr. Girlfriend, much to Dr. Girlfriend's own disappointment. He later incurred the wrath of Phantom Limb during a team-up by repeatedly insisting that she must bear scars from a sex change surgery.

The writers have also debunked the rumors of Dr. Girlfriend being born a man on countless occasions as well. Phantom Limb, The Monarch, and Dr. Venture, who have all been intimate with Dr. Girlfriend and would presumably know if she was a transsexual, have all denied the rumors. However if she indeed is a transsexual, she naturally would have recieved the sex change before being intimate with any of them.

Also, the episode "Victor. Echo. November." has the character herself acknowledge and debunk the rumors when Triana Orpheus and her friend Kim encounter Dr. Girlfriend in the ladies' room. When asked if she entered the right room, Dr. Girlfriend sighed and replied "Yes, I belong in here, I just have a deep voice."

The writers themselves have also implied that Dr. Girlfriend's deep voice is the result of Dr. Girlfriend being a long-time smoker. In the episode "Fallen Arches", blackula hunter Jefferson Twilight inquires, upon hearing Dr. Girlfriend's voice, whether she merely smoked cigarettes or ate them. Other fans have speculated that Dr. Girlfriend's raspy voice was the result of her having her throat cut at some point in her past, though Jackson Publick has denied this theory. Publick has instead commented that much like her passion for the clothing of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Dr. Girlfriend's voice is based upon the former first lady's own deep, semi-masculine voice.

Season two ended with a cliffhanger, as Dr. Girlfriend nervously told the Monarch that she had something to say that might change things, and then began to say "I'm..." before she was cut off. As stated above, this has fueled rumors of her being a transsexual.

Dr. Girlfriend is rumored to be pregnant, more than likely with the Monarch's child. Because the show is prone to plot twists and dark humor, however, rumors of Dr. Venture being the father have arisen. This rumor exists by the fact in the episode Mid-Life Chrysalis, Venture's old condom breaks into pieces before he puts it on and then says abruptly "Condoms? Rusty doesn't need gadgets to please a woman..." before being hit by serum in the neck by Dr. Girlfriend. Whether or not they actually slept together is debatable, but Dr. Girlfriend and the Monarch argue about whether she slept with him later in the episode, when she reluctantly says she didn't. It is to be noted in this time period that she is not "showing" except for an off-hand remark made by the Monarch a few days before their wedding which implied that Dr. Girlfriend's breast size may have increased (one of many pregnancy symptoms.)

hondarobot
12-14-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure which is more disturbing, the fact that someone put that much effort into a wiki entry on Dr. Girlfriend, or the fact that I just read the whole thing. . .

Still, Venture Bros is a kick ass cartoon. Not as good as my thrilling Vampire Assassin, but still pretty damn funny. I've fallen behind in watching Adult Swim lately though because I'm working on an interesting project myself at the moment.

Yes. . . cryptic post, isn't it?

8)

Fockzilla
12-14-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm not sure which is more disturbing, the fact that someone put that much effort into a wiki entry on Dr. Girlfriend, or the fact that I just read the whole thing. . .

Still, Venture Bros is a kick ass cartoon. Not as good as my thrilling Vampire Assassin, but still pretty damn funny. I've fallen behind in watching Adult Swim lately though because I'm working on an interesting project myself at the moment.

Yes. . . cryptic post, isn't it?

8)

I think a lot of different people contributed to that entry seeing as how it has been a long running debate with the fans of the show and other people who watch adult swim on their website's message boards.

I like the show, its pretty damn funny. Doctor Girlfriend happens to be one of my favorite characters, although I also have not watched any adult swim lately because I have better things to do. Anyway cool post! :D