PDA

View Full Version : winrar help?!

Akaoni
11-26-2006, 08:16 PM
I found some movies online that are broken up into several files that are supposedly viewable once you download all via rapidshare, and then open them with winrar.

I downloaded the trial version of winrar for Mac from rarlab.com, but I can't figure out what to do next! When I click on the individual files, or on the folder that I created for them, I get a "format error" message.

Any ideas?

Coroner
11-26-2006, 08:42 PM
your computer is probably infected..... i canīt install paltalk and guess why...

Akaoni
11-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Nah, I think I'm just too lowtech to understand how to deal with these types of files. I don't think macs are very virus susceptible. But thanks!

lust4ts
11-26-2006, 09:22 PM
all you have to do is collect all the files, 001rar to 009rar for example then right click on the 001rar file, in other words the first file and choose extract files from the drop down and enter the password if there is one and it will archive all the files into one folder for you. as i said is vital that you collect all parts of the file. and make sure you make a note of the password in note pad. if theres no password do not worry that just means you do not have to enter one before archiving. I don't want to confuse you but you will probably soon come across zip files if this is the case its pretty similar, collect all parts and unzip with HJ split ( free download available) good luck if you have any problems post another reply and i will do my best to answer your questions.

Akaoni
11-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I did download all the files successfully, but when I click the first file, I get the following:

An error has occurred while expanding the file (format error)" Error #17540

Thanks in advance!

lust4ts
11-26-2006, 10:28 PM
im kind of working half blind here as i never used mac but the process can not be that different when you click the first file does it give you an option to extract or just open because if you just try to open it will not work. as i said i have not used mac so i do not know what that coded error means. it is possible that the person who posted the files has not uploaded all the files or maybe some of the files are damaged and need to be repaired within WINRAR its self. i wish i could help you more but having no experience with mac computers its difficult. all i can say is try downlaoding some different rar files and see if the problem persists then you will be able to distinquish if it's a problem with the uploaded files or the format it's self.

kukm4
11-26-2006, 10:34 PM
check your files, one could have not downloaded properly.

Say you dl a total of 10 files.

files 001 -009

should all be about same in terms of file size

lets say 20mb with file (010) might be less than 20mb.

Go back and look at the file sizes. If you find one in between 001-009 that is way smaller than the rest, then chances are that one did not download properly.

lust4ts
11-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Aah just done some research for you looks like you have to downlaod RAR
EXPANDER 0.85b1 for mac. seems like the problem is the format. this apparently solves the problem as it supports both single and multi path archives which cause errors used on mac. its available at mac softpedia.com look for with google im not 100% sure if it free at this particular site. if it is not im sure you will be able to find a free version to download if you search. anyway thats what you need. hopefully this solves your problem. let me know how it goes and if need anymore help.

lust4ts
11-26-2006, 10:43 PM
just checked again it is free. go get it from there and you should be able to the enjoy your downloaded movies. i know how annoying it is trying to get these things to work so hopefully this will.

Akaoni
11-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Looks like it was a combination of the two: One of the files did indeed have to be reloaded, and I needed the expander to complete the process.
Thanks a million -- I greatly appreciate everyone's help.

lust4ts
11-26-2006, 11:32 PM
no problem enjoy your movie.

peggygee
11-26-2006, 11:40 PM
I use WINRAR, UltraISO, etc, a lot in a Windows environment, have not used them with a MAC. Of late I have been called to do a lot more MAC work, so this information was very useful for me as well.

Thanks for pursuing the solution, I will file that in my lexicon of useful info. 8)

lust4ts
11-27-2006, 02:30 AM
once again no problem peggy, glad to help