PDA

View Full Version : mayweather vs de la hoya official

partlycloudy
11-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Finally! The De La Hoya-Mayweather bout is official
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

It will be the "Golden Boy" vs. the "Pretty Boy" in the biggest fight that can be made in boxing.

The "Golden Boy," Oscar De La Hoya, will defend his junior middleweight championship May 5, 2007, on HBO PPV against welterweight champ and pound-for-pound king "Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather Jr., De La Hoya told ESPN.com Monday night.

"Done deal, baby! Done deal," an excited De La Hoya said. "I wanted it. How could I not be excited? I took this fight because, like always, I always want to take on the best, and Floyd is considered the best in the world. Here we go again.

"My thinking wasn't financial. It had to do with it being the biggest event out there and wanting to fight the best and be the best."

Said Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's best friend, adviser and assistant trainer, "They are the two biggest names in the sport and them coming together is going to be one of the biggest events in the history of the sport. It gets no bigger than this. We're very happy that we were able to come to an agreement. We really want to thank Oscar for giving us the opportunity. This is what the fans wanted and this is what they are going to get."

The site, according to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, will be either the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, where De La Hoya has fought four fights in a row and six of his last eight, or the Staples Center in Los Angeles, where he headlined the first card in arena history.

Schaefer and Mayweather adviser Al Haymon had been negotiating the fight for some time, but talks heated up in the immediate aftermath of Mayweather's shutout decision against Carlos Baldomir to win the welterweight title Nov. 4.

De La Hoya (38-4, 30 KOs) made an offer to Mayweather (37-0, 24 KOs) and wanted to wrap it up quickly, giving him a 7 p.m. PT deadline Monday or else he said he would move on to another opponent.

Hopeful that the offer would be accepted, Schaefer hung out at the Golden Boy offices in downtown Los Angeles to wait for the signed contract to be faxed to him.

Ultimately, it was.

"They were an hour early. It's done," Schaefer said. "History has been made today. It will be one of the biggest fights in history. Our goal is to break all records."

Terms were not disclosed, but both sides said that the fighters will make career-high purses. In De La Hoya's case, that means more than $25 million. For Mayweather, it means at least $10 million. Both will probably earn much more than that if the pay-per-view is a hit.

"We are just glad we were able to come to the agreement," Ellerbe said. "Oscar is a great businessman, him and Richard both. The negotiations were smooth. We didn't have any problems. This is about giving the fans what they want. And it's about Floyd's legacy in the sport. Floyd wants to go down as the best ever and Oscar is the biggest name in the sport."

De La Hoya has been the cash cow of boxing for years, participating in many of the biggest pay-per-view fights in history. His 1999 welterweight unification fight with Felix Trinidad generated a non-heavyweight record of 1.4 million buys. The all-time buy record is the 1997 rematch between Evander Holyfield and Mike Tyson, which did 1.99 million subscriptions. Lennox Lewis' knockout of Tyson in 2002 did 1.93 million buys, but grossed a record $112 million because the cost of the pay-per-view was higher than it was for Holyfield-Tyson II.

De La Hoya, 33, is aiming to break both records, and it is conceivable that, with six months to market and promote the fight, it could.

"I look at it this way: My fight with Ricardo Mayorga [in May] did 925,000 without the kind of sponsors and marketing we will have for this fight," De La Hoya said. "We have some heavy dollars in this fight with my sponsors. Not a single soul will not hear about this fight. Can we break the record of 1.99 million? I think we can. We're shooting for 2 million."

De La Hoya, a 1992 Olympic gold medalist, has won 10 titles in six divisions and is one of the most popular fighters ever. Mayweather, 29, a 1996 Olympic bronze medalist, has won five titles in four divisions and will move up in weight to challenge for a title in his fifth weight class.

Besides the fact that the fight matches two of the best in business, there is another potential storyline sure to add drama and fuel to a hot fight.

De La Hoya is trained by Floyd Mayweather Sr., the estranged father of Floyd Jr. If Mayweather Sr. stays on as De La Hoya's trainer, a father training a fighter to beat up his son adds a rubber-necking dimension to the fight.

De La Hoya, however, said he and Mayweather Sr. have not yet had a serious talk about it. De La Hoya said he will be in Las Vegas later this week and plans to meet with Mayweather Sr.

"I will sit down with him and talk about this," De La Hoya said. "I want to see how he feels. I want to look into his eyes and see if he is going to be as passionate as I am when we are in training. I want us both to be comfortable with the situation. I don't want him to come to Puerto Rico to train me for the fight and have it be awkward. I want to make sure we are on the same page."

If Mayweather Sr. doesn't have the stomach to train De La Hoya to beat his son, De La Hoya said he will make other arrangements.

"Floyd Mayweather Sr. should be my trainer until the day I retire," De La Hoya said. "I don't think there is any reason to change trainers. He gets me going and he gets me motivated. But I am prepared if he says no to me. I am prepared to move on and get somebody else. That somebody else, though, I am not sure who it is."

De La Hoya, who hasn't fought since his sixth-round knockout of Mayorga in May to win a 154-pound belt, said he is already getting in shape to fight Mayweather.

"I already flew out my strength and conditioning coach [Rob Garcia] to Puerto Rico," he said. "We are already working. We're working on my diet and weight training. When I step in that ring, I will go hard. I will be a trained machine. That's why I started a week ago."

Mayweather is also pumped up for the fight, Ellerbe said.

"Floyd is extremely excited. This is the fight he has wanted his whole career," Ellerbe said. "When it got done, Floyd called me and he told me to get ready to go to the gym in about two hours."

Sometime after the start of 2007, Schaefer said there would a national press tour to announce the fight.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2661028

blckhaze
11-15-2006, 06:56 AM
hopefully this fight doesnt go PPV like mayweathers last one, boxing is slowly dieng becaus eof it

partlycloudy
11-15-2006, 07:31 AM
hopefully this fight actually happens, it's a long time from now until may. boxing needs big fights like this to revive it.

blckhaze
11-15-2006, 07:47 AM
hopefully this fight actually happens, it's a long time from now until may. boxing needs big fights like this to revive it.

agreed. the heavyweights are a joke, and other than a few boxer, every other class is up in the air.

blckhaze
11-15-2006, 08:18 AM
saw the preview for pacquiao-morales on hbo. looks good. am a huge paquiao fan, but morales is looking to be up to his old form

partlycloudy
11-15-2006, 05:27 PM
agreed. the heavyweights are a joke, and other than a few boxer, every other class is up in the air.

exactly, there aren't enough major draws to boxing. there was a heavyweight title bout with a ko finish just the other week but no one really cares.

saw the preview for pacquiao-morales on hbo. looks good. am a huge paquiao fan, but morales is looking to be up to his old form

true, those little guys can pound each other and keep on going.

Quinn
11-16-2006, 11:04 PM

Great points, guys. I've been a huge fan of boxing since my childhood. It's a shame what's happening to the sport. It definitely needs some big fights to revive it.

When the Klitchko's are the biggest draw, you know the sports in trouble.

-Quinn

partlycloudy
11-17-2006, 06:50 AM
mma is a good alternative if you need your fight fix.

DJ_Asia
11-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Oscar D vs. Mayweather 2 of boxings biggest jackasses in one ring...wow they might have to host this fight in the Grand Canyon to squeeze in their egos! As much as I dislike both I dont think Oscar can beat Mayweather...his style is too unorthodoz and he is just too damn fast.

As far as the state of boxing...its dying for 2 reasons,a lack of talent in the heavier classes and the fact that UFC is putting out a much more entertaining product...I used to be into boxing big time but UFC has stolen my attention.

rico del rio
12-02-2006, 04:43 AM
Chicken de la hoya was once a great fighter until he switched to singing Mariachi. I rather watch Winky Wright fight for free .

partlycloudy
02-24-2007, 09:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2772888

check pretty boy in the vid

Itallianromeo
02-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Im going de la hoya all the way

stillies77
02-25-2007, 01:06 AM
De La Hoya has this one

Itallianromeo
02-25-2007, 01:13 AM
De La Hoya has this one

yup, hes got better hands

partlycloudy
03-02-2007, 08:51 AM
better hands? nah. heavier hands, yes. if de la hoya can't stop (ko, tko) or at least drop mayweather during the fight, then floyd's going to take the decision.

anyway, here's some more press:

http://www.fightnews.com/1387.htm

stillies77
03-07-2007, 09:13 AM
wow he is gonna get fucked up

03-09-2007, 06:20 AM
You know things are bad when fans are calling for not only Tyson to come out of retirement, but GEORGE FOREMAN to come out and fight Mike.

I can't get into extreme fighting or whatever it's called. It seems to lack a certain regal-ness that the old school fights at Caesers used to have.

I bumped into De La Hoya at a bar/pool room in Uptown Whittier a couple times. He was really cool but MAAAAN! Dude was a hound with the women. I'd try and move my girl away from as fast as I could when he came in the second time. He'd be talking to all the women and of course, back then he was like Walter Peyton in Chicago. He was not only East LA, but Pico, Whittier, Montebello, Boyle Heights etc. It's been said that El Camino Real was built as a highway for Spanish royalty to travel between the Spanish Missions, but it turns out that it was built for Oscar to shuttle women back and forth between Montebello and his home in the Whittier Hills.

As a San Gabrielino, I have to go with Oscar.

DavidLynch
03-14-2007, 09:50 AM
I live in that area and for a long time Oscar was not liked at all by the community. It wasn't until recently that he has won over the majority of the community between downtown and Pico Rivera. It all started early in his career when he beat the crap out of Genaro Hernandez who attended Roosevelt high school. He was quickly labled a sell out and disliked widely and his victory over Chavez didn't help. It wasnt until the Mayorga fight when I noticed almost all the back yard parties watching the fight, were rooting for Oscar.

At this point, it just might be to late in his career and this fight could end up being a massacre. On the other hand, he has surprised us before and if he can knock him out, it could cement his legacy although he never got his win over Trinidad which he should have won but decided to "safe" it late rounds.

03-14-2007, 10:16 AM
I always percieved the area's dislike of De La Hoya as jealousy. But then again, he did tote around many, many women. 4 babies by 4 different women, all morena's. Not something I'd be proud of, but the fact that he was so popular with the ladies was something that all us 20 somethings envied for sure.

DavidLynch
03-14-2007, 10:35 AM
With out a doubt jealousy, he was young, famous, rich, successful and could get any girl he wanted including your own. Tfan, when I say your own I mean in general, not you specificly.

:lol:

joeboz
03-14-2007, 03:35 PM
This fight, if it were 5 years ago, would be entertaining. I'd be putting $ on De La Hoya, but I agree if Mayweather can last the distance, he will win the later rounds as Oscar gets tired out.

partlycloudy
04-18-2007, 10:34 PM
de la hoya - mayweather 24/7 (hbo prefight documentary)

episode 1 (4 parts)

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rBny9J1OPs
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu8m9XIs_NE
part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v5rUG4dPog
part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10wzoOjFlZk

White_Male_Canada
04-22-2007, 02:07 AM
Money fight.

That said, Mayweather will make oscar look bad unless oscar catches him with a lucky shot.

Money line right now: M -200 / D +160

TJ347
04-22-2007, 04:09 AM
mma is a good alternative if you need your fight fix.

MMA is bound to overtake boxing, the way boxing's been going the last few years, and the way MMA's been growing during that same time. Fans want to get their money's worth, and MMA offers that. Boxing... not so much.

partlycloudy
04-24-2007, 09:30 PM
de la hoya - mayweather 24/7 (hbo prefight documentary)

episode 2 (3 parts)

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZXT2NkppvI
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E77XBAtGha8
part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj7RcGSMy2k

peggygee
05-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Pound for pound, Mayweather may be a slightly better fighter,
but mentally I'm not sure if he is up for the task, he's being
a bit cocky for this match, and that's something that you don't
want to do with a seasoned veteran like De La Hoya.

Decision De La Hoya.

White_Male_Canada
05-04-2007, 12:12 AM
I think it`s gonna shake out this way,

Oscar had better have the perfect jab working to keep Mayweather busy, then the overhand. Oscar better catch him early with hard shots and get a TKO or else it`ll be trouble for him

If Mayweather carries the extra weight and keeps his speed to slip the jab then Oscar is in deep trouble. If Mayweather is ON then Oscar`s done for. He`ll give him a boxing lesson. The longer the fight goes the deeper the humiliation. It`ll be extremely difficult for Oscar to get a decision if it goes to the judges.

partlycloudy
05-04-2007, 01:34 AM
some celeb predictions

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=10826&more=1

p.s. hbo is on to youtube so no more 24/7 full shows. you can catch bits and pieces by searching 'de la hoya mayweather 24/7'.

Quinn
05-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Pound for pound, Mayweather may be a slightly better fighter,
but mentally I'm not sure if he is up for the task, he's being
a bit cocky for this match, and that's something that you don't
want to do with a seasoned veteran like De La Hoya.

Decision De La Hoya.

I think this is a good point. Mayweather, in my opinion, is a better fighter than De La Hoya at this point, but I don't know if he has the necessary mental tools. De La Hoya tends to be inconsistent – you can never be certain which De La Hoya will show up for a big fight – and he's at a disadvantage from an age standpoint, but if he can throw Mayweather off of his game early on that may very well be enough. If it goes the distance, however, I think Mayweather will win.

In the end, though I think Mayweather will probably win, I really want De La Hoya to take it. Though I respect his Mayweather’s considerable talent, I just don’t like him.

-Quinn

White_Male_Canada
05-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Decision win after 12 rounds.

D115-M113

M116-D112

M115-D113