PDA

View Full Version : The Rock, The Jaw,- Welcome to the (Uncensored) Punch

Stavros
03-28-2022, 05:08 AM
Words have consequences, and sometimes a joke really does offend...

Timothy Burke on Twitter: "VIA JAPANESE TELEVISION: The uncensored exchange between Will Smith and Chris Rock https://t.co/j0Z184ZyXa" / Twitter (https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1508270716063469576)

iHeart_PONG
03-28-2022, 02:12 PM
will smith is an entitled idiot.

Stavros
03-28-2022, 02:27 PM
To explain -at the time I posted the above, I was told the US network had censored the event, I assume by now the uncensored footage is widely available.

Murmdrum
03-28-2022, 02:47 PM
I could give two shits about Hollywood ...bunch of narcissistic self righteous assholes. I don't condone the violence either. F Will Smith

fred41
03-28-2022, 02:57 PM
gotta wonder what Smith would have done if someone the size of the actual “Rock” made the comment. ….nothing of course.

He could’ve simply just voiced his displeasure or just put on a face and talked to Chris Rock about it afterwards. You know, like civilized pampered celebrities.

blackchubby38
03-29-2022, 03:51 AM
1. It must be nice to slap someone in a public venue and not be asked to leave the premises.

2. The joke wasn't that bad. It wasn't like Rock said "Eight ball in the corner pocket", or "Magic Jada, what does the future hold for me".

3. Smith was laughing at the joke. He didn't get mad until he saw that Jada was.

4. I really wanted to hear what Rock was going to say about the both of them after the slap.

5. So at the end of the day, words are indeed worse than sticks and stones and should be responded to with physical violence.

Stavros
03-29-2022, 06:26 AM
1. It must be nice to slap someone in a public venue and not be asked to leave the premises.

2. The joke wasn't that bad. It wasn't like Rock said "Eight ball in the corner pocket", or "Magic Jada, what does the future hold for me".

3. Smith was laughing at the joke. He didn't get mad until he saw that Jada was.

4. I really wanted to hear what Rock was going to say about the both of them after the slap.

5. So at the end of the day, words are indeed worse than sticks and stones and should be responded to with physical violence.

I have to admit I don't get the jokes in your point no 2.

Is it the case that if the Oscar's on tv is meant to be a 'family show', Chris Rock is not the kind of 'comedian' to appear on it? Doesn't this man have 'form' when it comes to insulting and abusing Black women in public? Or maybe we have to accept that the woman in question the other night is 'fair game' for someone like Rock and we must all 'suck it up'?

Jada Pinkett-Smith also looks terrific with the way she has managed her Alopecia, maybe someone should at least stand up for her in a predicament she did not create.

MrFanti
03-29-2022, 03:32 PM
I have to admit I don't get the jokes in your point no 2.

Is it the case that if the Oscar's on tv is meant to be a 'family show', Chris Rock is not the kind of 'comedian' to appear on it? Doesn't this man have 'form' when it comes to insulting and abusing Black women in public? Or maybe we have to accept that the woman in question the other night is 'fair game' for someone like Rock and we must all 'suck it up'?

Jada Pinkett-Smith also looks terrific with the way she has managed her Alopecia, maybe someone should at least stand up for her in a predicament she did not create.
Are you now an expert on us Black Americans?

Stavros
03-29-2022, 05:12 PM
Are you now an expert on us Black Americans?

No. Are you?

I make these comments based on years of observation, flawed though it is, from the sickening ridicule of a young woman whose status as a Black Woman in the USA was treated as an irrelevance when compared to Alpha Male Mike Tyson; or the sickening ridicule of Michelle Obama in words I can't bring myself to type, as they hurt my head; the relentless din of abuse that has been showered on Black Women seeking high office in the USA, be it Ketanji Brown Jackson, Stacey Adams or Kamala Harris.

If you can agree that the election of Barack Obama as President unleashed a never-ending torrent of abuse, you may -or not- be able to measure the vitriolic abuse Black Woman of the kind I have referred to, will have to suffer. when they choose to enter public life
In this context, this pathetic little man, Chris Rock merely underlines the chronic mistreatment of Black Women in the USA, to which I offer the grim Coda of the Transgendered women found discarded in a dumpster in Chicago, neither the first, and probably not the last to suffer such a dreadful end to life.

And in case you think it doesn't happen here, the abuse of a Black schoolgirl in London has exposed yet again what a wretched state our police service is in, a grim addition to the two police officers who took selfies next to the bodies of two black women murdered in a London park.

Racism cited as factor in police strip search of girl, 15, at London school | London | The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/mar/15/black-girl-racism-police-strip-search-london-school-hackney)

Ok, so I didn't know much about Chris Rock until reading more about him in today's paper, previously to me he was merely a voice in the film Madagascar, but it seems he has had a career in comedy in the US, if comedy it has been. On the face of it, I don't see much of a future for someone who thinks the public ridicule of women with Alopecia is 'fair game'. Fair it ain't.

MrFanti
03-29-2022, 05:32 PM
No. Are you?
I'm a Black American - but I don't speak for us all.
But it does amaze me how sometimes, some people think they know what's best for us more than we do ourselves.

Are you a Black American?

tslvr
03-29-2022, 05:51 PM
Doesn't matter what color or race anyone is, assault is assault.

Murmdrum
03-30-2022, 02:26 AM
Chris Rock is a funny mother f**er.....I wouldn't give a shit what color he is and I don't see color. I am whiter than altar linen myself. I see a bunch of uptight people who can't take a joke...

MrFanti
03-30-2022, 03:22 AM
A legitimate point/argument is that if something isn't done with regards to Smith, then it leaves the door open for all comedians to be at risk to get clocked just because an audience member didn't like a joke.

KnightHawk 2.0
03-30-2022, 07:41 AM
will smith is an entitled idiot.Completely agree he sure is.

Stavros
03-30-2022, 08:41 AM
I'm a Black American - but I don't speak for us all.
But it does amaze me how sometimes, some people think they know what's best for us more than we do ourselves.

Are you a Black American?

No, and the question is irrelevant anyway, as an opinion based on facts is at least open to debate. My last word on this may reveal that my age is the problem: I don't find these guys funny.

From what I have seen of the US, what links series like Cheers to The Big Bang Theory is a group of people who spend most of their time insulting and abusing each other, and one notes of course, that as with Friends, there is an absence of Black people in these essentially white middle class shows.

Superstore, by contrast, has a delightful take on stereotypes and is in my view a triumph. In his day, Lenny Bruce was 'cutting edge' comedy, but that ship has sailed. To sum up, where I come from Chris Rock is an insignificant nobody.

MrFanti
03-30-2022, 02:42 PM
No, and the question is irrelevant anyway,
In your opinion it is, but not in mine - it's a relevant question in my opinion.
And here's one example why. I know a few Blacks that have a certain view of the Smith/Rock situation based on their experiences as Black Americans.
So yes, the question is relevant.

And your opinion doesn't rule over mine.

iHeart_PONG
03-30-2022, 03:10 PM
Race has nothing to do with what Smith did. He is just a rich SOB who knew he would get away with it, just like all wealthy people do.

Race has to do with Rock's inability to file charges or pursue the matter as it would be viewed as he is a little whiny bitch in black culture as well as in a broader, masculine culture.

I stand behind my opinion stated elsewhere....if I were at a Rock concert and my girl had alopecia or lets say I was with a transgirl, or any scenario, and Rock decided to address me as an audience member, and I tried to slap him, I would have been detained by security and arrested for attempted assault. Smith did this because he is wealthy and knew there would be little repercussion.

Fitzcarraldo
03-30-2022, 04:07 PM
Interesting perspective: https://kareem.substack.com/p/will-smith-did-a-bad-bad-thing?s=r

mildcigar_2001
03-30-2022, 05:34 PM
Crime is out of control in Los Angeles and around the country.

Will Smith should be made an example of what happens when you commit assault and battery.

Smith needs 30 days in the county jail.

MrFanti
03-31-2022, 01:02 AM
Interesting perspective: https://kareem.substack.com/p/will-smith-did-a-bad-bad-thing?s=r
It appears on the surface, that most Black Americans disagree with what Smith did - and I like how he included his perspective with reference to the Black community.

Stavros
04-01-2022, 11:55 AM
I was not going to comment further on this topic, but I think the link below is required reading in order to establish what a nasty little shit Chris Rock is, given that he has been cast as the victim in the incident, when he was not the only one.

The incident not reported so well, concerns the documentary Oscar won by Summer of Soul, an example of a Black topic being diminished and also abused by Rock, thus one of its producers, Joseph Patel-

"Patel writes that he recalled walking on stage to accept the award and Smith hugging Questlove, who “handled the moment with grace, giving a speech from the heart.”
He added: “What I didn’t hear in that moment walking to stage but was told of afterwards is what Chris Rock said when reading our name from the winner’s card – The winner is ‘Summer of Soul …Ahmir ‘Questlove’ Thompson and 4 white guys.” WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK?????
“The reason that makes me SO SO VERY ANGRY is because I was so proud to be one of a handful of South Asians to have ever won an Oscar in the history of the award.”
In fact, Patel was the third south Asian man to pick up an award that night, after Riz Ahmed and Aneil Karia.
“So with my family and friends watching, Chris Rock lumped me in as 1 of ‘4 white guys. (Nevermind the disrespect to @d2films and @fyvo for not even saying their names, and the inaccuracy of us being 3 producers not 4),” Patel continued.

Patel declined to put Rock’s joke down to discombobulation after the slap, as “he made the same joke the night before on stage at the Roots Jam!”
“So I’m angry,” he wrote. “Angry at Will Smith. Angry at Chris Rock. Angry for me. Angry for Ahmir. Angry for my fellow film-makers.
“I got back home to New York last night and saw the ceremony on my DVR and didn’t have the stomach to watch it. I probably never will. Thank you, Chris – You absolute fucking dick.” "
‘It robbed us’: Summer of Soul producer criticises Will Smith and Chris Rock | Oscars 2022 | The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/mar/31/summer-of-soul-producer-criticises-will-smith-and-chris-rock-oscars)

MrFanti
04-01-2022, 10:29 PM
I was not going to comment further on this topic, but I think the link below is required reading in order to establish what a nasty little shit Chris Rock is, given that he has been cast as the victim in the incident, when he was not the only one.

So are you saying that the Black Americans who feel Smith was in the wrong all have the wrong perspective?
Are you saying both Smith and Rock are victims?
Or something else? (Just trying to cover all the bases)

What I "like" about the situation is that not all of us in Black America agrees - and that's very healthy towards showing the masses that we DO NOT all think alike and we are all NOT monolithic in thought. (Though some in the media believe we are monolithic in thought).

Murmdrum
04-01-2022, 10:57 PM

The incident not reported so well, concerns the documentary Oscar won by Summer of Soul, an example of a Black topic being diminished and also abused by Rock, thus one of its producers, Joseph Patel-

"Patel writes that he recalled walking on stage to accept the award and Smith hugging Questlove, who “handled the moment with grace, giving a speech from the heart.”
He added: “What I didn’t hear in that moment walking to stage but was told of afterwards is what Chris Rock said when reading our name from the winner’s card – The winner is ‘Summer of Soul …Ahmir ‘Questlove’ Thompson and 4 white guys.” WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK?????
“The reason that makes me SO SO VERY ANGRY is because I was so proud to be one of a handful of South Asians to have ever won an Oscar in the history of the award.”
In fact, Patel was the third south Asian man to pick up an award that night, after Riz Ahmed and Aneil Karia.
“So with my family and friends watching, Chris Rock lumped me in as 1 of ‘4 white guys. (Nevermind the disrespect to @d2films and @fyvo for not even saying their names, and the inaccuracy of us being 3 producers not 4),” Patel continued.

Patel declined to put Rock’s joke down to discombobulation after the slap, as “he made the same joke the night before on stage at the Roots Jam!”
“So I’m angry,” he wrote. “Angry at Will Smith. Angry at Chris Rock. Angry for me. Angry for Ahmir. Angry for my fellow film-makers.
“I got back home to New York last night and saw the ceremony on my DVR and didn’t have the stomach to watch it. I probably never will. Thank you, Chris – You absolute fucking dick.” "
‘It robbed us’: Summer of Soul producer criticises Will Smith and Chris Rock | Oscars 2022 | The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/mar/31/summer-of-soul-producer-criticises-will-smith-and-chris-rock-oscars)

you need to find a funny bone man lol. no disrespect but you don't seem to be fun at parties

danoblue
04-01-2022, 11:11 PM
Team Chris Rock

Grace under pressure what a champ!

Will Smith’s obituary will read Academy Award winner who slapped Chris Rock on live television. This follows him around the rest of his career.

filghy2
04-02-2022, 06:27 AM
This seems like much ado about nothing to me. It's like a Rorschach test where the responses reveal mostly the preoccupations of those responding.

One guy made a joke with might not have been in good taste, but was not particularly vicious. Another guy overreacted with a low-grade assault. The victim wasn't hurt and doesn't want to press charges. If this was two ordinary people nobody else would care and the police would not get involved.

I certainly can't see anything about this incident that warrants invoking "Black America". Would the rights and wrongs be any different if the participants were white?

Stavros
04-02-2022, 07:24 AM
you need to find a funny bone man lol. no disrespect but you don't seem to be fun at parties

It all depends on what humour is. I tend to react negatively to a comedy of abuse, whereas I do laugh at the comedy of observation, one which requires a perception of how people behave and is one of the most durable successes in comedy. Laurel and Hardy are a good example of this, as is the English comedian, the late Victoria Wood. I accept there is a tradition of poking fun at people, be they in authority or the public eye, but I don't find it amusing when one person insults another because of their personal appearance, perhaps because I have suffered from it myself, as I am sure many others have too. There is a tradition of zany humour in the UK, most famously the Goons, and Monty Python, and it is at least creative, as is the comedy based on language in I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

I am not fun at parties, so I don't go to them. I think in my entire life I have been to at least four, and I don't recall enjoying any of them.

As to the events in the OP, I think the comment has run its course. And I have found it interesting to read people's comments, whether I agree with them or not.

diddyboponTOP
04-02-2022, 11:54 AM
Will resigned from the Academy and said he's going to face what ever music comes along when they give Him his punishment what ever it may be, experts and long time board members said Will will likely not lose His Oscar, and why should He? Over a slap? I can see banning him for a few years from the show etc but like they said Weinstein was allowed to keep his award and he's a serial rapist and abuser, same with Polanski, what Will did was very immature and stupid But he's been famous since he was 17 and now he's 52 and this is the first time he has done anything remotely close to this. I'm sure His career is will be fine, He didn't hurt Chris just slapped him and mostly missed cause Chris rolled with it.

MrFanti
04-02-2022, 05:11 PM
In my view (which is an opinion and not necessarily the "right/correct" view), Smith will rebound and be just fine. Perhaps another 'Oprah Interview' will happen at some point.....but in the long run he'll be just fine.

However....

He'll always have that "asterisk/Scarlett letter" by his name.....

Murmdrum
04-05-2022, 03:10 AM
It all depends on what humour is. I tend to react negatively to a comedy of abuse, whereas I do laugh at the comedy of observation, one which requires a perception of how people behave and is one of the most durable successes in comedy. Laurel and Hardy are a good example of this, as is the English comedian, the late Victoria Wood. I accept there is a tradition of poking fun at people, be they in authority or the public eye, but I don't find it amusing when one person insults another because of their personal appearance, perhaps because I have suffered from it myself, as I am sure many others have too. There is a tradition of zany humour in the UK, most famously the Goons, and Monty Python, and it is at least creative, as is the comedy based on language in I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

I am not fun at parties, so I don't go to them. I think in my entire life I have been to at least four, and I don't recall enjoying any of them.

As to the events in the OP, I think the comment has run its course. And I have found it interesting to read people's comments, whether I agree with them or not.

My favorite British comedy growing up was Benny Hill....that show turned me into a man at a young age haha

MrFanti
04-09-2022, 12:03 AM
Will Smith blocked from Academy events for 10 years, Board of Governors decides after slap
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/oscars/will-smith-blocked-from-academy-events-for-10-years-board-of-governors-decides-after-slap/ar-AAW19pm

MrFanti
04-11-2022, 01:27 AM
Leslie Jones: "Stop being offended" by comedians ( 2018 )
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/leslie-jones-stop-being-offended-by-comedians/

The Black Comedienne's perspective in 2018.....