PDA

View Full Version : Victoria's Secret

GroobySteven
10-18-2006, 02:06 AM
16th September 2006

Dear Sir/Madam,

I placed an order for three gift cards on Thurs. 12th Oct 2006 and over the following weekend received two emails and two telephone calls to verify the order, which I did not have time to do until the morning of 16th. The first associate I spoke to claimed she needed to verify my billing address, which I was happy enough to do, especially for a first time order and on an item like gift certificates. I started to get frustrated when I was left on hold twice for periods of 11 minutes and 14 minutes without and apology or explanation and in the meantime had called the bank and confirmed the address and the account was absolutely fine. After 30mins I had to hang up to take other business calls.

I called back 15 minutes later and spoke to associate “Lindsay” who was far more polite and customer service orientated than the previous associate. The information she give me was that you needed to confirm the addresses that the cards were to be sent to, as that information is with my assistant who was out of the office today because of the recent earthquake I told Lindsay just to send them direct to me and I’ll mail them out myself. I also explained if there was still an issue with the billing address then to use my personal card and I’ll reimburse myself from the company. She informed me there was no problem with the card.

I was then shocked to be asked what the cards were to be used for? I explained they were a company reward and your associate continued to question me exactly what the people were being rewarded for and that they need to verify what Victoria Secret cards were to be used for? I don’t feel that I need to explain what I’m giving somebody a gift card for, that’s my business and whether personal or business, it’s frankly none of your business. I was then asked to prove my business by showing our company website and other invasive questions. This is an absolute invasion of privacy and an example of a company getting over zealous about protecting their image. I fully understand the need to protect a company image but by questioning a customer about who he’s giving a gift to and for what it entirely un-acceptable and I requested the order to be cancelled. As Lindsay spoke to her supervisor (another poor company policy as the supervisor should have taken over the call) I was put on hold, when she returned she said they would process the order but if I was to order gift cards in the future then I would be questioned again. Needless to say, I confirmed the cancel of the order. I just want to state that the associate helping me was extremely polite, helpful and tried her best to keep my custom, it’s my choice who to do business with and it this point it is not Victoria Secret or any of your associated stores.

I run three multi-million dollar companies and while not in the league of Limited Brands, I surely know how to treat my customers, with respect and integrity, something you could well do to learn.
If you go back into your records you’ll even see I was talking to Head Office about the potential of bringing a store to Ala Moana Shopping Centre.

I’ve sent Amazon.com certificates to the three individuals instead, with the instruction to spend on anything BUT Limited Brands. I’ll ensure that business associates, friends and blogs know what Victoria Secret’s draconian policies are so they can make up their own mind whether to do business with you or take it to a company who cares less about invading privacy and more about their customers and their image to that customer base.

I suggest you investigate this incident and the first associate I had to deal with. You should also review your policies and train your staff in using reasonable thought. Let me put it this way, I could walk into a Victoria Secret and buy gift cards, no manager is going to stop a sale. I’d then send those cards to whomever I wanted.

hondarobot
10-18-2006, 02:25 AM
That's a pretty weird deal on the Victoria's Secret's part. Why the hell would they make it difficult for someone to buy gift cards, and why would they ask what the cards would be used for?

They would be used to buy Victoria's Secret stuff, obviously! Were they afraid they'd be used to jimmy locks like in a Rockford Files episode or something?

Strange business policy.

BrendaQG
10-18-2006, 05:23 AM
:-/ Protect their image from what. Are they afraid criminals might buy their women some fancy underpants? :-\

scipio
10-18-2006, 05:35 AM
WTF is it with corporations and the government wanting to know every details of one's life?

What are they worried about? You're going to build a panty bomb and shower Washington DC in undergarments?