PDA

View Full Version : For Hip-Hop Heads Only!

thebusiness
10-09-2006, 09:53 PM
What's up everyone that's into hip-hop... now I know this is a forum about transexuals so all you horny hip-hop haters please don't post in my thread!

Now let me get to my question, I trying to think of what direction to go with my next track...should I go with a k-west type of production or that southern trapper/crunk type of production?

I'm also working on a mix tape with my crew... what beat is better... adrinaline rush(Twista) or suck it or not(Camron)?

Just wanna hear some opinions!

rick_932
10-10-2006, 12:36 AM
southern rap, specifically ATL rap is running the game right now. its whats being played on the radios throughout the country and in the clubs, so if you want to reach as many people as possible, this would be the way to go IMO.

and i like the suck it or not beat much better than adrinaline rush. the beat is just sick

trapmasta
10-10-2006, 08:36 PM
upload suck it or not

tony__starks
10-11-2006, 12:23 AM
IMO, just do a song that you like. Dont ever try to be like anybody. Seriously though as far as coping a beat...thats old news everybody does that. Do something original, you woudl get more respect than rapping over a known beat.
As for that ATL crunk style music, it comes from NY, ATL didnt invent that style or any for that matter.

Dkg
10-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Why not make your own style??

Anyways, if you have to choose between those two then Id say go with Kwest. The southern stuffs ok but it's kind of gettin played out.

werwt22
10-11-2006, 01:08 AM
All I can say is invent yourself instead of emulating, but if you have to choose a certain genre to follow I say K West b/c ATL not as bog over the past year -2 years b/c of Houston stepping up. Now West Coast music starting to make it's way back into hip-hop as a whole. So maybe you should do like Game did and mix them all up.

ballzNnutz
10-11-2006, 08:38 AM
rap music ugggg.. sory but i couldnt resist

beatmaker
10-11-2006, 11:05 AM
From a cat that is into hip-hop production, it all comes down to the lyrics. If you are an artist that's really into your lyrics (i.e Nas, Lupe Fiasco), I would go with a Kanye-esque track. However, if your not a lyrically driven artist (i.e Lil Scrappy, Yung Joc) whose sole purpose is getting paid, then cruck styled tracks will bring you more radio and club access. Me personally, I'm more of a Just Blaze, Kanye West styled producer. I love hard, driven tracks with strong lyrics (vintage Wu-Tang or Mobb Deep). The simple beats and infantile lyricism of modern day rap, makes my ears bleed. Lupe Fiasco's album is hot, but only moved 60-70K units it's first week, whereas that corny-ass Yung Joc did around 300K his first week. However, I do like well done crunk-styled production like Three-Six Mafia (their single "Stay Fly"). I think the reason The Neptunes and Timbaland are two of the most successful producers of the last decade, has to do with the fact they've mastered the synergy between danceable tracks and innovative production techniques. Jay-Z and Biggie's appeal had a lot to do with how they mastered the tightrope of danceable, radio friendly records and grimy, "beats and rhymes" driven album cuts. Jay-Z's "The Blueprint" album was one the best albums of the last decade, that embodied both spectrums of the game. These dudes get respect by the backpack, underground hip-hop heads, who swear by artist like Talib Kweli, Mos Def or Nas and producers like Just Blaze, DJ Premier, Alchemist or RZA, as well as the "radio sheep" that like anything spun on the radio 500 times a day.

rick_932
10-12-2006, 02:57 AM
great post beatmaker. i agree that most mainstream rap today is pure shit. someone like lupe comes along and doesnt get as much attention in the media as rick ross, 50 or dem franchise boyz for example. that lupe album is hot and its been bumpin in my car since the album dropped. im waiting for that nas album to drop, hopefully it'll turn some heads

thebusiness
10-12-2006, 03:25 AM
I'm not coping ANYBODY! Please don't get it twisted... for a city city that's in the middle of the map KC has a lil bit of everybodies style and swag. My album's already shaping up to be pretty well rounded I just wanted to hear a collection of opinions and that doesn't hurt! The streets and the people know what's hot... I do me regardless trust that one.... I am very lyrical beatmaker but take those hot fire ass lyrics and put them on a nice ass beat crunk or not and you got something hotter than the devils draws! My favorite rapper is Jay-Z... and of all time... I put no one above him but that's me... I'm gonna be where he's at one day.... other than that Wayne and Em.... their freestyle game is sick.... Mos Def also...one of the most underated rap arstist of all time... track 12 on Lupe's CD...MAN THAT BEAT IS KILLIN'EM!! I swear my heart dropped when I heard that shit!! I love what I do and its gonna show when I drop! F&F is def some people I'ma hit up... thank y'all for droppin' comments and keep'em coming.

beatmaker
10-12-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm not coping ANYBODY! Please don't get it twisted... for a city city that's in the middle of the map KC has a lil bit of everybodies style and swag. My album's already shaping up to be pretty well rounded I just wanted to hear a collection of opinions and that doesn't hurt! The streets and the people know what's hot... I do me regardless trust that one.... I am very lyrical beatmaker but take those hot fire ass lyrics and put them on a nice ass beat crunk or not and you got something hotter than the devils draws! My favorite rapper is Jay-Z... and of all time... I put no one above him but that's me... I'm gonna be where he's at one day.... other than that Wayne and Em.... their freestyle game is sick.... Mos Def also...one of the most underated rap arstist of all time... track 12 on Lupe's CD...MAN THAT BEAT IS KILLIN'EM!! I swear my heart dropped when I heard that shit!! I love what I do and its gonna show when I drop! F&F is def some people I'ma hit up... thank y'all for droppin' comments and keep'em coming.

Good luck homie and fellow producer, that sound would be a good look. There really isn't any Southern or Midwest rappers who are sick with the lyrics rapping over the crunk. T.I and Big Boi might be the closet. That sound would be reminscent of Outkast's "Bombs Over Bagdad". Sick lyrics with uptempo drums, hi hats moving, hard synth stabs or a slower, grimier crunk with East Coast elements. That's actually a sound I'm trying to cook up in the lab now. I think that would be the path to take, B!