PDA

View Full Version : FTM Transgender wrestler Mack Beggs wins second Texas state girls’ championship

MrFanti
02-26-2018, 02:45 PM
Interesting situation when you read the article...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/25/transgender-wrestler-mack-beggs-wins-second-texas-state-girls-championship/?utm_term=.4d1e065fb329

legault
02-26-2018, 03:29 PM
Feminism winning ��

dirtrail
02-26-2018, 04:45 PM
Good for him, but I’d put an asterisk by that win.

Trapt53
03-03-2018, 05:44 AM
Feminism winning ��

It's not feminism winning. It's an outdated rule about having to wrestle under the gender on your birth certificate. He wants to wrestle with the guys.

mildcigar_2001
03-04-2018, 02:51 AM
This is wrong.

Mack Beggs is winning because of he is receiving testosterone injections (hence more muscle, and something which is not allowed in his opponents).

Mr. Beggs should have done the right thing and sat out the State tournament. He should have been the bigger person and realized his situation gave him an unfair advantage.

blackchubby38
03-04-2018, 10:59 PM
When this story was first posted, I wanted to wait a couple of days to gather my thoughts about it. Its one of those stories that is going to cause a reaction no matter what side of the aisle a person sits on and I think its one of those situations where nuance is needed.

First, should the University Interscholastic League adopt a new rule that allows transgendered people to compete against the gender that isn't listed on their birth certificate?- Yes. I think they should come up with something similar to the NCAA's rule:

"trans male (FTM) student-athlete who has received a medical exception for treatment with testosterone for diagnosed Gender Identity Disorder or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, for purposes of NCAA competition may compete on a men’s team, but is no longer eligible to compete on a women’s team without changing that team status to a mixed team".

This way you're being fair to the transgendered person and you're preserving the the integrity of women’s sports.

Second, I think it is fair to question whether or not Mack has an unfair advantage over his female opponents due to the testosterone injections he is receiving. It would be interesting to see what his record was before he started transitioning. From the two articles that I read, I haven't seen it mentioned.

Third, I think you can have empathy for Mack's situation. But at same time, think it isn't right that he is competing against female wrestlers. Especially when you consider that he is going to get the chance to compete against other boys on the national level. A decision that was reached last year. So its also fair to wonder if he should have competed in this year's state tournament.

Finally, I'm all for people following their dreams. I also understand that starting the transitioning process is an important step in a transgendered person's life. But sometimes in life people have prioritize what's most important to them. So I think its fair to ask whether Mack should have either waited to begin transitioning until he was done competing at the high school level or stopped competing altogether while he was doing so.

Murmdrum
03-04-2018, 11:05 PM
When this story was first posted, I wanted to wait a couple of days to gather my thoughts about it. Its one of those stories that is going to cause a reaction no matter what side of the aisle a person sits and I think its one of those situations where nuance is needed.

First, should the University Interscholastic League adopt a new rule that allows transgendered people to compete against the gender that isn't listed on their birth certificate?- Yes. I think they should come up with something similar to the NCAA's rule:

"trans male (FTM) student-athlete who has received a medical exception for treatment with testosterone for diagnosed Gender Identity Disorder or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, for purposes of NCAA competition may compete on a men’s team, but is no longer eligible to compete on a women’s team without changing that team status to a mixed team".

This way you're being fair to the transgendered person and you're preserving the the integrity of women’s sports.

Second, I think it is fair to question whether or not Mack has an unfair advantage over his female opponents due to testosterone injections he is receiving. It would be interesting to see what his record was before he started transitioning. From the two articles that I read, I haven't seen it mentioned.

Third, I think you can have empathy for Mack's situation. But at same time, think it isn't right that he is competing against female wrestlers. Especially when you consider that he is going to get the chance to compete against other boys on the national level. A decision that was reached last year. So its also fair to wonder if he should have competed in this year's state tournament.

Finally, I'm all for people following their dreams. I also understand that starting the transitioning process is an important step in a transgendered person's life. But sometimes in life people have prioritize what's most important to them. So I think its fair to ask whether Mack should have either waited to begin transitioning until he was done competing at the high school level or stopped competing altogether while he was doing so.

I believe last year was 9 losses and this year 0 losses....i read the story a few weeks back and can't remember the wins

blackchubby38
03-05-2018, 01:23 AM
Also just in case anybody was interested:

"trans female (MTF) student-athlete being treated with testosterone suppression medication for Gender Identity Disorder or gender dysphoria and/or Transsexualism, for the purposes of NCAA competition may continue to compete on a men’s team but may not compete on a women’s team without changing it to a mixed team status until completing one calendar year of testosterone suppression treatment".