PDA

View Full Version : Building A DJ Booth (Non TS Related)

hondarobot
10-06-2006, 12:07 AM
The place I work at is having some major reconstruction work done this month. Long story, but my part of the deal is that we have to move one of the DJ booths for one of the dance floors. I came up with what I think is a cool idea.

I'm gonna design the thing so that it sits 8 feet off the dance floor, has mostly clear plexi walls (soundproofed) and then run the electric and cables through the wall, painted different colors. I'm also going to arrainged the equipment visible to the floor, and do some other stuff, but the idea is: To make it look like a giant, modified gamer computer case.

I know that sounds lame. I am a gaming geek, but what do I care? I don't have to DJ in the thing.

Anyhow, just wondering if any of the fellow gamers on here might have pics of cool mod boxes for ideas, or any other input.

Here's some pics of the current booth (interior) so you can clearly see things need to be jazzed up a bit (oh, and a bit of eye candy so you guys don't feel cheated by this lengthy post).

BeardedOne
10-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Nice eye candy.

I wouldn't change a thing. :lol:

I've seen some of these gamer box options and wonder, does the neon light under the desk make the game go faster? :?: :roll:

Sounds cool, though. Post pix after the reconstruction.

Oh, and don't forget the candy (Tell her she has fans). :wink:

lemonslemonsbuy
10-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Better make sure that all electric and cables are easy to get to. As a DJ if you start getting feedback, noise, etc... you need to get to them and check all your stuff. Better ask you resident DJ's on some input on how they would like it set up cause if they it is big club they are your money makers for the most part.

DJ_Asia
10-06-2006, 12:26 PM
A soundproofed plexiglass DJ booth...makes about as much sense as a pregnant pole vaulter.

DJ's need to hear the floor,for mixing,volume,sound quality,tone,and if they do alot of speaking then they need to hear themselves too.Nothing worse than somebody screaming into a mic cuz they cant hear themselves. Think:dude trying to talk to you while hes rocking out w/ headphones on....same effect.

As far as jazzing up the booth,why?? It needs to be funtional,much more than looking bitchin'...I mean afterall its only the friggin DJ,the guy who sets the mood and can make or break a club instantly.You need ample space for Technics(2)CD players(2)mixing board(1) mic stand,amps,crossovers,EQ's etc....and dont forget plenty of space for music that is within arms reach and very well lit and easy to access.

As far as getting the cable thru the wall..ok,but again they need to be easily accessible.

Also if you intend on raising the booth up high,make sure the speakers arent placed anywhere near the booth....can you say FEEDBACK!!

Other than that sounds wonderful :roll:

memyself
10-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Sounds cool DJ_Asia, the one thing I can contribute:
K, use shielded cable (coaxial) for everything you can {it minimizes RF interference}.
For any none coaxial wires (power for one) run these well away from cables you don’t want any interference on.....
Supporting info: There’s an electromagnetic field created from electrons (current) moving along a conductor (wire), this will cause a induction (creation) of current in any near by conductor >>>>meh I know power<<<<

hondarobot
10-06-2006, 03:20 PM
A soundproofed plexiglass DJ booth...makes about as much sense as a pregnant pole vaulter.

DJ's need to hear the floor,for mixing,volume,sound quality,tone,and if they do alot of speaking then they need to hear themselves too.Nothing worse than somebody screaming into a mic cuz they cant hear themselves. Think:dude trying to talk to you while hes rocking out w/ headphones on....same effect.

As far as jazzing up the booth,why?? It needs to be funtional,much more than looking bitchin'...I mean afterall its only the friggin DJ,the guy who sets the mood and can make or break a club instantly.You need ample space for Technics(2)CD players(2)mixing board(1) mic stand,amps,crossovers,EQ's etc....and dont forget plenty of space for music that is within arms reach and very well lit and easy to access.

As far as getting the cable thru the wall..ok,but again they need to be easily accessible.

Also if you intend on raising the booth up high,make sure the speakers arent placed anywhere near the booth....can you say FEEDBACK!!

Thanks for the lesson in sound booth design, but this isn't the first sound booth I've set up.

Haha. DJs, I love 'em. I'm a tech, the DJ's worst enemy.

Soundproof because I don't want the resident DJ's to hear the floor, they work off the booth monitors and mix via headphones. If the floor is blasting into the booth, as the night goes on and the drinks are downed, DJ's push shit till the amps clip. They get off on that. Our DJ's have to gauge things by the levels on the mixer (and I put limiters on the system, which they could admittedly bypass, but if they can't hear the floor, it's less likely).

Our DJ's don't use mics, none of that fancy shit. They don't make or break our club, we've been around for Long time.

When we have touring DJ's come in, I'll set them up on the floor and let them go crazy, sometimes, but we dont do that often. Otherwise it's my job to keep those guys from breaking shit.

DJ_Asia
10-06-2006, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the lesson in sound booth design, but this isn't the first sound booth I've set up.

Soundproof because I don't want the resident DJ's to hear the floor, they work off the booth monitors and mix via headphones. If the floor is blasting into the booth, as the night goes on and the drinks are downed, DJ's push shit till the amps clip. They get off on that. Our DJ's have to gauge things by the levels on the mixer (and I put limiters on the system, which they could admittedly bypass, but if they can't hear the floor, it's less likely).

Our DJ's don't use mics, none of that fancy shit. They don't make or break our club, we've been around for Long time.

When we have touring DJ's come in, I'll set them up on the floor and let them go crazy, sometimes, but we dont do that often. Otherwise it's my job to keep those guys from breaking shit.

Amps clipping after some drinks...??? Man I got news my amps were redlining as soon as I opened it up a bit and got some bodies on the floor.

hondarobot
10-06-2006, 09:25 PM

Amps clipping after some drinks...??? Man I got news my amps were redlining as soon as I opened it up a bit and got some bodies on the floor.

Doh :!: DJ's and tech guys, the cobras and mongooses of the nightclub scene.

I actually post signs in the booths with stuff like "Do Not Bump Past ONE Red On Mixer" and various other things. The signs always seem to disappear mysteriously. . .