PDA

View Full Version : The Unit (No, not that "unit", the television seri

hondarobot
10-02-2006, 09:02 PM
A guy at work loaned me the DVD set for the first season of "The Unit". I'm not sure what channel it's on, because I had never heard about it before. My first thought was "Oh, great, some far right wing nutjob cop show", but I see the guy five days a week so I figured I'd watch at least the first episode and then tell him how lame the thing was.

Just goes to show a person shouldn't judge a book by it's cover (or a television show in this case).

I watch the opening scene of the first episode, and it's pretty damn good. Then the opening credits come up. Written and produced by David Mamet. Holy shit. I'd never heard of this thing.

I'm working through the first season and this is an awesome fuckin show. Very smart, solid writing, great characters and plots. It's one of the coolest shows I've seen in a long time. If anyone want's to see a very well made take on what a Delta Force/Black Ops unit probably deals with in real life, check this out.

It's not some looney Chuck Norris type take on the subject, it's really good. It's David Mamet for crying out loud (I'm surprised he's writing for TV, someone must be on staff to White Out all the times he instinctively writes the word "fuck" in the scripts).

In another thread I'm blabbing about how great the series "Jericho" is. I know. . .that show is absurd, but still interesting. "The Unit" really is very good, from what I've seen so far. But I just like these sorts of things, might not be to a lot of peoples tastes. If you liked "The Bourne Identity", you'll like this.

Great stories.

pinklace
10-03-2006, 05:04 PM
The Unit is co-produced by Shawn Ryan, who created The Shield. It's a damned good show. Mamet doesn't write every episode, but he's an Executive Producer and he conceived the show with Eric Haney, who wrote the book "Inside Delta Force." The action scenes are shot very well.

It's on CBS Tuesday nights.

hondarobot
10-04-2006, 04:19 AM
Another great episode (the new episode that just ran tonight). I love this show.

I'd have to say the cool TV shows airing right now would be: The Unit. Lost (season premier tomarrow night). Jericho (goofy as hell, but interesting). Smallville (who doesn't like watching superman beat the crap out of bad guys?).

There's some pretty good shows on TV right now.