PDA

View Full Version : Knowingly exposing others to HIV will no longer be a felony in California

MrFanti
10-10-2017, 08:01 AM
http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-gov-brown-downgrades-from-felony-to-1507331544-htmlstory.html

filghy2
10-10-2017, 08:10 AM
As the article notes, there is no other communicable disease for which this is a felony rather than a misdemeanour. I'm not sure what the right approach is, but it's more complicated than the headline might imply.

SanDiegoPervySage
10-10-2017, 01:40 PM
They better hope this new law encourages others to get tested and infection rates decrease. Someone who simply has it is obviously not a criminal. Someone who knowingly exposes someone to HIV is a criminal. No way around it. As of right now, I think it should still be a felony.

Budweiser
10-10-2017, 02:12 PM
Sounds like a fairly typical Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown idea.

legault
10-10-2017, 04:52 PM
This is what happens when communists run your state ��

frosty51
10-11-2017, 12:38 AM
As the article notes, there is no other communicable disease for which this is a felony rather than a misdemeanour. I'm not sure what the right approach is, but it's more complicated than the headline might imply.

I think that would be a good argument to make knowingly exposing people to certain other diseases (incurable, lethal ones) felonies as well rather than downgrading the criminality of knowingly exposing someone to HIV.

dakota87
10-11-2017, 05:58 PM
They better hope this new law encourages others to get tested and infection rates decrease. Someone who simply has it is obviously not a criminal. Someone who knowingly exposes someone to HIV is a criminal. No way around it. As of right now, I think it should still be a felony.
Meant to upvote. On phone. Fingers missed. Can’t undo. Sry.