PDA

View Full Version : What about your music taste

scorpion
09-27-2006, 01:45 AM
I wonder about the music taste her on this forum what do you listen to who are your favorites?
My top 6.
Rolling Stones "Absolute the best group ever"
ZZ top "I just like them"
Gasolin "Danich group as dont nolonger exist"
Madonna "Have wanna to place her higer but.."
In-grid "French artist"
September "Swedich artist"

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
09-27-2006, 01:48 AM
almost anything excluding polka & country

hondarobot
09-27-2006, 02:27 AM
Good thread. I'm not really all that into music myself (kinda ironic, considering my job at the moment), but here's some stuff that I thought was cool over the years, in a chronological listing.

The song "Life's Been Good" by Joel Walsh. First song I remember really liking, and for some reason that damn song keeps popping up at unusual times. Long story.

Went through an embarassing to admit Boston phase.

Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, The Outlaws (weird alt. country phase)

Kiss, in elementary school, because Kiss ruled the world.

Hendrix, Zeppelin, The Who, Neil Young, David Bowie, The Stones, all that sort of throw back to the 70's stuff.

Ramones, Sex Pistols, Anti-Nowhere League, Dead Kennedy's, Fugazi, Fear, X, punk/hardcore phase.

The Pogues figure in here somewhere.

AC/DC (the year my friends and I finally got to drive, all we listened to)

Metallica, Slayer, later on Pantera.

Nine Inch Nails.

PJ Harvey, started to appreciate Devo finally, lots of other stuff.

Ween.

Blues phase.

Classical phase.

Jazz phase.

Now I don't really know what I like. I like The Donnas, altough everyone I know thinks they suck. The club stuff the DJ's play at work, I have no idea about. Chemical Brothers seemed alright to me, most of it is just crap.

White Stripes were the last people lately that I can think of that I thought were pretty cool. But I'm lame when it comes to appreciating music, and this is just off the top of my achingly sober head. I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of great bands/musicians.

Still, good thread.

greenkb
09-27-2006, 02:31 AM
personally, I'll listen to anything, be it metal, rock, pop, R"N"B, etc...... be I don't own any music what so ever.

peggygee
09-27-2006, 02:38 AM
I like Old School R&B, ala, Delfonics, Pattie LaBelle, Blue Magic, Funkadelic, Curtis Mayfield, Chaka Khan, Chi-lites, et al.

Jazz, is a fave as well, from the old cats: Wes Montgomery, Coltrane, Jimmy Smith, Cal Tjader, Miles. I love pianists, piano is my favorite instrument, Ramsey Lewis, Herbie Hancock, I used to really like Ahmad Jamal, but I had to bitch slap him in a club, oh well

I love the smooth jazz genre as well as Acid jazz,etc. I guess it's safe to say I LOVE jazz. :)

But, I guess my favorite, fave, is female vocalists: Ella Fitzgerald, Carmen McRae, Sarah Vaughn, Shirley Horn, Dianne Reeves, Nancy Wilson, and a host of others.

Love Gospel, most artists, from the older stuff to the newer stuff that has the 'Saints' fussing about 'that ain't music :)

I like a number of things about Hip-Hop, and like a lot of the artists. As to Rap, I may like some of the beats, but 'Gangsta, and dissing the 'bitches and the hoes', ya got to go. Myself, personally I miss the Public Enemy style, political Rap

Roots Reggae, or consciousness Reggae is cool, Dancehall Reggae doesn't work for me.

Some country and western is quite palatble.

Migente would be upset with me if I didn't mention, Salsa and Latin Jazz, with a shout out to Brazilian Jazz.

Alchemist
09-27-2006, 02:46 AM
I have a pretty eclectic taste when it comes to music. I'll listen to most anything, except for Country.

BlackShemaleLover
09-27-2006, 04:55 AM
HIp-Hop, Rap, R&B, Ragga...

vanished
09-27-2006, 05:07 AM
MeShelle NDegeocello is a goddess.

Plain and simple

Kramer
09-27-2006, 05:52 AM
Aw c'mon JWBL, no polka????

Not even at an Oktoberfest?? While downing some Warsteiner or Dinkelacker?? 8)

johnie
09-27-2006, 06:00 AM
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Beatles
The Who
Simon And Garfunkel

a994
09-27-2006, 06:18 AM
I also LOVE jazz, from the old masters like Miles, Coltrane, Roach, etc. to the more avant-garde stuff. Also I like acid jazz/rare groove and '60s-'70s funk, psychedelic rock, and progressive rock. I also love classical, folk, and Indian music.

a994
09-27-2006, 06:36 AM
Dang, Ariana. That's an impressive list. (And your drawings on your MySpace site are equally impressive.)

I would like to add Far Eastern and Middle Eastern classical musics to my list, as well as humpback whale recordings and recordings of outer space from some of NASA's deep space probes. Yes, there IS sound in deep space.

Speaking of, I could use a good 1972-74 "Dark Star" right about now.

LcKy
09-27-2006, 06:44 AM
I listen to a lil bit of everything, I however favor old school r&b (Al Greene, Teddy P era), Early 90's Rap (Wu-tang, Biggie), some of the newer rap, but not impressed. Soft rock(magic 106.7) , Most of the newer r&b (r.kelly, dru hill), a dash of soul and jazz here and there.

suckseed
09-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Low, Swervedriver, DJ Shadow, King Crimson, Built To Spill, Jawbox, Velvet Underground, Gang of Four, Galaxie 500, My Bloody Valentine, Bruford, Rasputin, Decemberists, Radiohead, the Microphones, Beatles, Zepplin, Robin Trower, Wishbone Ash, BT, Paul Van Dyk, Pat Metheny, Paul Simon, Sarah Harmer, Cory Sipper, Dropkick Murphys, Pixies, Autechre, Plone, Plaid, Boards Of Canada, Ween, Miles, Mingus, the Shins, the Verve, Henryk Goreski, Verese, Gomez, early Stevie Wonder, Spinners, Mahalia Jackson, Randy Crawford, Patrice Rushen, Al Green, Howlin Wolf, Esthero, Bjork, Paul Oakenfold, Suzanne Vega, Aimee Mann, Neil Young, Dixie Dregs, Aretha, Capt. Beefheart, Can, Neu, Psychic TV, Wayne Shorter, Iron & Wine, Mance Lipscomb, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, Glenn Gould, Lydia Lunch, Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, Smiths, Otis Spann, Black Flag, Public Enemy, the Roots, KRS-One, De La Soul, Steve Hackett, Allan Holdsworth, William S. Burroughs (yes he made albums), John Cage, Nick Drake, Billy Bragg, the Pogues, Aphex Twin, Lush, Hawkwind, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, Johnny Winter, Aswad, Dennis Brown, Steel Pulse, Augustus Pablo, Spike Jonez....and Terrapin Station is fucking amazing.

suckseed
09-27-2006, 07:12 AM
I don't know that one - I'll have to check it out! I really liked your art - the carp and the owl, but I'm almost embaressed to point them out as there's so many others that are just wild. You've got a hell of an imagination! :D
Oh! How could I forget Dylan. I defy anyone to listen to Simple Twist of Fate or Girl from the North Country and not be touched by memories of old love.

DJ_Asia
09-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Being a former trance DJ,and a former drummer and screamer in too many heavy metal bands to count,my musical tastes vary upon my moods and where im at...heres a short list

Ramones
Thin Lizzy
Motorhead
Black Label Society (my contemporary fave)
Hendrix
Bob Marley
Ministry (new album is amazing)
Temple of the Dog
Iron Maiden
Angelwitch
most deep dark lo-freq trance (no female vocals and none that sounds like C3PO on crack)
Ozzy
Deep Purple
Queen
T.Rex
Vaya Con Dios
Chris Isaac
Jimmy Buffett

and a little older west coast rap ( Ice-T,Ice Cube,Dre,Snoop,Tupac,NWA) the rest is like fingernails on a chalk board to me...and no country.

Fitz1600
09-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Anything country! :D :D :D

TheOne1
09-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Tool; hooker with a penis :twisted:

whats next, favorite movies? color? :P

panama_red
09-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Basically I go through musical phases.

I like a whole bunch of stuff.

Classic Rock: Hendrix, Thin Lizzy, Grateful Dead, The Byrds, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, Steve Miller Band, Alan Parsons Project, Cream, Moody Blues, The Doors, The Beatles, MC5.

Rock: Dire Straits, Tom Petty, Jerry Garcia Band, Phish, Rush, Boston, Thin Lizzy, Dave Matthews Band, Jerry Garcia Band.

Punk Rock: Blink's older stuff, The Jam, The Clash, The Ruts.

Metal: Metallica, NIN, Pantera, Megadeth, Slayer (going to see these guys in November).

Rap: NWA, Eazy E, Jurassic 5, some Tupac.

New Wave: Joy Division, The Cure, The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen.

Folk and Country Music: Bob Dylan, James Taylor, Johnny Cash

Post-Rock: Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Rós, El Ten Eleven.

Electronic/Ambient: Boards of Canada, Cliff Martinez, Ulrich Schnauss, Brian Eno, Infected Mushroom.

So yeah... pretty ecletic taste. I listen to what suits my mood basically. I keep an open mind to most sorts of music.

archie
09-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Metal all the way!! Metallica, Pantera, Fear Factory, StoneSour, Korn. etc. I also like the grunge bands, like: Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden. etc. :twisted:

Suckerpunch
09-28-2006, 05:33 PM
8) Being from the UK if you havent heard of something look them up = The Wildhearts, The Clash , Metallica,The Beatles,ACDC, Queen, Aerosmith,Led Zep,Terrorvision,Thunder,Def Leppard,The Almighty,RHCP,The Who,The Yo-Yo's,Green Day,The Jam, Paul Weller, Rolling Stones, Soulfly, Machine Head, System Of A Down, The Black Crowes, Free, Bad Company, New York Dolls, Buzzcocks, Johnny Cash, David Bowie, The Police, Sting, Beatallica, The Anit Nowhere-League, Sex Pistols, Crowded House, The Donnas, Oasis,Sepultura,Pantera,Feeder,Nirvana,Foo Fighters,Rem etc etc

jowwor
09-28-2006, 05:59 PM
If I had to make a partial list of my favorites...

Amon Tobin "Supermodified"
Tori Amos "Little Earthquakes"
Air "Moon Safari"
Bjork "Homogenic"
Bob Dylan "Blood on the Tracks"
Clash "London Calling"
Funkadelic "One Nation Under a Groove"
Hallucinogen "In Dub"
Herbie Hancock "Head Hunters"
Kraftwerk "Computer World"
Pixies "Doolittle"
Portishead "Dummy"
Prince "Purple Rain"
Radiohead "OK Computer"
Roots "Things Fall Apart"
Stereolab "Dots and Loops"
Tribe Called Quest "Low End Theory"
Velvet Underground & Nico
Ween "The Mollusk"
Frank Zappa "We're Only In it For the Money"

I'll just second this list, and add Moloko, Muse, Mew (Danish) and Fiona Apple...and a few obscure Norwegian bands you haven't heard of... ;)

-Q-

eggbert
09-28-2006, 08:52 PM
It's great to see such variety of musical tastes. Mine are also all over the place. My favorites include:
Bach
Mozart
Pat Metheny
Yellowjackets
Little Feat
Allison Krause
Pat Martino
Oscar Peterson
McCoy Tyner
Bill Evans
Dixie Chicks

D'yer Mak'er
12-30-2006, 03:58 AM
Basically I go through musical phases.

I like a whole bunch of stuff.

Classic Rock: Hendrix, Thin Lizzy, Grateful Dead, The Byrds, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, Steve Miller Band, Alan Parsons Project, Cream, Moody Blues, The Doors, The Beatles, MC5.

Rock: Dire Straits, Tom Petty, Jerry Garcia Band, Phish, Rush, Boston, Thin Lizzy, Dave Matthews Band, Jerry Garcia Band.

Punk Rock: Blink's older stuff, The Jam, The Clash, The Ruts.

Metal: Metallica, NIN, Pantera, Megadeth, Slayer (going to see these guys in November).

Rap: NWA, Eazy E, Jurassic 5, some Tupac.

New Wave: Joy Division, The Cure, The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen.

Folk and Country Music: Bob Dylan, James Taylor, Johnny Cash

Post-Rock: Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Rós, El Ten Eleven.

Electronic/Ambient: Boards of Canada, Cliff Martinez, Ulrich Schnauss, Brian Eno, Infected Mushroom.

So yeah... pretty ecletic taste. I listen to what suits my mood basically. I keep an open mind to most sorts of music.

Haha bump?
I'm try to be like that, I like to get into a bit of everything.
Led Zeppelin (my username is a zep song, favorite band ever), Deep Purple, Ac/Dc, Black Sabbath, Heart, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Between The Buried And Me, Electric Wizard, Tiamat, Death In Vegas, Wolfmother, Elliott Smith, Muse, Fiona Apple, Chris Isaak, Johnny Cash, Murder By Death, Two Lone Swordsmen, Geto Boys, Ill Bill, Goldfrapp, Ladytron, you know. If you limit yourself you might eventually get tired of what you have.

barclee
12-30-2006, 04:24 AM
that's a whole lotta bunch

at this moment:
Massive Attack

thorn
12-30-2006, 06:45 AM
My favorite singer is julia Fordham. I could listen to her voice for hours on end. Like liquid smoke!

Somedude21
12-30-2006, 08:16 AM
My musical tastes are quite limited. I really only listen to some classical music, The Beatles, Rammstein, System of a Down and Sublime.

Quickman
12-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Current top 6 in no particular order:

Genesis/Collins
Jay-Z
Police/Sting
James Blunt
Radiohead
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Realgirls4me
12-30-2006, 09:40 AM
I go through my phases ... lessee, right now in my vehicle's CD player/box are :

James Brown's Greatest Hits (Who wouldn't currently?)

The Crystals Greatest Hits

The Essential Sly and the Family Stone

A compilation CD of 80s New Wave and techno pop

Johnny Cash, Best Of

Psychedelic Furs

Herman's Hermits Greatest Hits (Yeah, so what !)

The Beatles "Love" (Their new release)

Pretty eclectic so far,huh?

Smog Boy
12-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Rob Zombie - HELLBILLY DELUXE, SINISTER URGE
NIN - PRETTY HATE MACHINE, THE FRAGILE
Alice in Chains - JAR OF FLIES, DIRT
Black Sabbath - PARANOID
Iron Maiden - BRAVE NEW WORLD, POWERSLAVE
My Ruin - SPEAK & DESTROY
System of a Down - TOXICITY
White Zombie - ASTRO CREEP 2000
Megadeth - COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION
L7 - HUNGRY FOR STINK

Vala_TS
12-30-2006, 04:22 PM
COUNTRY. That's it. And I don't want to hear any crap about it. Yeah, I'm probably the only country music listening tranny lover.

AGTFB

thecollossus30
12-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Progressive house, trance etc..........

Tiesto
Mark Oliver
Paul Oakenfold
Paul Van Dyke
Ferry Cortsen
etc....................

Doesn't get any better

Suckerpunch
12-30-2006, 05:32 PM
8) The Wildhearts, The Clash, Metallica,The Beatles, ACDC, Queen, Aerosmith,Led Zep, Terrorvision,Thunder,Def Leppard,The Almighty,RHCP,The Who,The Yo-Yo's,Green Day,The Jam, Paul Weller, G'N'R, Small Faces, Rolling Stones, Soulfly, Machine Head, System Of A Down, The Black Crowes, Free, Bad Company, New York Dolls, Buzzcocks, Johnny Cash, David Bowie, The Police, Sting, Beatallica, The Anti Nowhere-League, Sex Pistols, Crowded House, The Donnas, Irom Maiden, Heather Nova, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Larry Williams, Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, Sam Cooke, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Eddie Cochran, Pink, Sheryl Crow Oasis,Sepultura, Pantera, Feeder, Nirvana, Foo Fighters,Rem & others haha if any americans dont recognise any of these bands do some research

gaiseric
12-30-2006, 10:14 PM
:) Meat Loaf, Blackfoot, Michael Ball, Morcheeba, Laura Branigan, No Doubt, Bond, Vanessa Mae, Gilbert and Sullivan, Strauss operas, Elaine Page, Yamato, Fleetwood Mac, Emmylou Harris, Queen, Capercaillie, Enya, Dusty Springfield, Texas, Amici Forever, Russell Watson, Lesley Garrett, Clannad, Cher, Renaissance
It's a pretty varied list, but then I have music for all my various moods. :wink:

specialk
12-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Blue, Rock, Soul, Country..............whatever makes me want to pick up the guitar and play will do just fine.

hellf
12-31-2006, 02:06 AM
HIp-Hop, Rap, R&B, Ragga...
Hell Yeah! Me too!
Crunk!

SHEMALE-LOVER2
01-15-2007, 08:50 PM
My favourite Music:

Heavy Metal, Metal (all kind), Indie Rock, Rock, Country

SHEMALE-LOVER2
01-15-2007, 08:51 PM
My favourite Bands:

-Böhse Onkelz
-Rammstein
-Children of Bodom
-SlipKnot
-Manowar
-Staind
-The Killers
-Angels & Airwaves
-Keane
-Coldplay
-Johnny Cash

eded
10-11-2022, 07:40 PM
okay

Imatwork
10-11-2022, 11:53 PM
Joey Negro and the Sunburst Band.The Secret Life of Us.

Stavros
10-12-2022, 08:59 AM
I was raised on classical music, being a member of a church choir which performed the music of JS Bach, Vaughan Williams and Benjamin Britten, also an introduction to live music performance that I am sure has shaped my attitude to musicianship.

I did stray into pop music in my teens, and then the West Coast and Rock music of the late 60s and 70s -Cream, Pink Floyd etc- before taking an interest in Jazz, mostly modern, and through the experimental Jazz of Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders (who died this last week or so), Ornette Coleman and Cecil Taylor back through Schoenberg and Stravinsky to the older tradition, from which I have never left.

I was taken to the Ballet when I was 10, and opera at age 11, thanks to my mother though she was a dilettante rather than an intellectual, and I have been to most of the world's best opera houses in London Paris, Milan, Munich, Berlin, Vienna, New York and Moscow, so if I spend the rest of my life in the opera house, it will be a fitting end to a life in which music has been one of its most important and enjoyable elements. And though I have no interest in most of the so-called music being played today, I recognize how important it can be to people of all ages, and would not want to deny it to anyone because of my personal tastes.

DonTardo
10-13-2022, 11:57 PM
Wesley Willis.

diddyboponTOP
10-14-2022, 11:47 AM
I'm 45 from Queens New York so I grew up a Huge Fan of Rap music and Hip Hop culture which I still love and I am still current, I didn't age into one of those dudes who don't know what's going on anymore and many of my favorite Emcees are still putting out great music, like Eminem, G Rap, Ra the rugged man, Vinnie Paz the cats from Wu Tang clan, The LOX, and so many others, a lot of underground dudes are bringing back the 90s style being Lyrical spitting to book bap beats like Conway, Benny and ALL Griselda affiliate's OT the Real is killing it now, Freddie Gibbs may be a fake Gangsta but his music is dope and lots of others.
Next I love 80's Pop..... All the great songs that made The radio and MTV, a few examples, Prince, Michael Jackson, Madonna, George Michaels, Elton etc.
Next 90's and Early 00's Pop, Then 50's music.
Then Older Rock like the Beatles, Stones, Areosmith up to the 90's dudes like Guns and Roses etc.

AsianBabe_
10-15-2022, 11:33 PM
90s hip hop ❤️

Imatwork
10-15-2022, 11:56 PM
Incognito.

diddyboponTOP
10-17-2022, 02:07 PM
90s hip hop ❤️

Never gonna be anything like it again, I'm loving the fact some many Emcees from NYC are bringing that sound back, Conway and then threw that ball and tons of cats are running with it. Mase, and Cam'ron reconnected formed a click with Jadakiss called the 3 Headed Monster it's one single right now BUT if they can get the paper work to a place they all agree on we could get a full LP :) Mase is Back to Murder Mase Lyrically and theme wise.

filghy2
10-18-2022, 04:05 AM
I'm 45 from Queens New York so I grew up a Huge Fan of Rap music and Hip Hop culture which I still love and I am still current

So you are 45, you love rap, you love Trump, love big butts, have a big ego and talk nonsense much of the time. That's a lot of coincidences. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West

CORVETTEDUDE
10-18-2022, 10:25 PM
Blues/Rock/Boogie

diddyboponTOP
10-19-2022, 12:20 AM
So you are 45, you love rap, you love Trump, love big butts, have a big ego and talk nonsense much of the time. That's a lot of coincidences. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West

I always speak the truth, you only think it's nonsense because you have never been on a Godlike level like I have many life is well known by many and Ye may have more then me now BUT he was born in Chicago I was born in one of the most expensive areas in New york looks money and power adds up to a life you call nonsense Peasant
Edit: I was the man when Ye couldn't shine my shoes, don't hate cause you ain't me and are a coward and average loser, I guarantee you wouldn't talk shit to my face if you did you would have to act like a man and see what's up

filghy2
10-19-2022, 03:04 AM
I always speak the truth, you only think it's nonsense because you have never been on a Godlike level like I have

https://vimeo.com/123610072

BostonBad
12-01-2022, 03:58 PM
Music that has a sweet/salty taste

sd123223
12-02-2022, 06:28 AM
Music that has a sweet/salty taste
They let you out have they?