PDA

View Full Version : Student group apologizes for playing TAKE A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE

bad dog
05-22-2017, 03:19 AM
I don't know what's going on here https://heatst.com/culture-wars/student-group-apologizes-for-playing-transphobic-and-problematic-lou-reed-song/

A tranny friend of mine even told me she's got no problems with that song that everybody must heard a million times already. In fact Lou Reed's producer said it was meant to be a love song. Lou happened to be fond of trannies too.

Fitzcarraldo
05-22-2017, 03:28 AM
It was a Canadian student group. Canadians apologize for everything.

nysprod
05-22-2017, 07:31 AM
I can understand how the lyrics might be perceived to fetishize transgender people by suggesting they are “wild,” “unusual” or “unnatural,” but this was a a very different time in a very different NYC.

This was the post-hippie pre-disco pre-punk era of Bowie and bisexuality and Max's Kansas City, when one of Warhol's Velvets was going thru a very brief period of Factory induced transformation. Alternative sexuality was cool downtown.

Anyway, "media is not always consumed in the ways that it was intended" has to be the brilliantly ironic manifesto of today, given the current circumstances.

http://maxskansascity.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/mkc-quotes-3.jpghttp://maxskansascity.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/tumblr_leqae3afaE1qfg9ino1_500.jpg

bad dog
05-22-2017, 02:51 PM
I can understand how the lyrics might be perceived to fetishize transgender people by suggesting they are “wild,” “unusual” or “unnatural,” but this was a a very different time in a very different NYC.

Crazy thing about it is you'd think that people would be more offended by the lyrics then than they are now? But than again this is just the case of one group who wasn't walking or breathing back in the 70's or it's all new to them.

dakota87
05-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Sno -flakes

bad dog
05-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Sno -flakes Since I've already had right wingers label me as a snowflake, I'd be offended by it too then. While I never had any problems with it. In fact my fave Lou Reed tune is when he was with the Velvet Underground and did a song named Sister Ray.

ILuvGurls
05-22-2017, 03:33 PM
PCers & SJWs have fuck this world up completely

nysprod
05-22-2017, 03:55 PM
Crazy thing about it is you'd think that people would be more offended by the lyrics then than they are now? But than again this is just the case of one group who wasn't walking or breathing back in the 70's or it's all new to them.

Possibly. Is that you in your avatar? If it is, you're very hot lol

blackchubby38
05-22-2017, 05:35 PM
I don't know whose comes off worse in this story, the student group for apologizing or the people who were supposedly offended by the song.

lifeisfiction
05-22-2017, 07:39 PM
People don't know the past. It still blows my mind how much time has past. I was talking to someone about the Matrix to only realize the movie is 18 years old. As time progresses people for get why and what was the circumstances of things in the past. I just see our society today split into varying beliefs with very little done to understand each other. It's the age of my way or the highway. Of course, give it 10 more years and society will change again. I guess I'm getting old.

gmb
05-22-2017, 11:58 PM
I guess Lou's 'I Want To Be Black' is right out, then?

IluvemHung
05-24-2017, 12:38 AM
The average tranny don't like blacks, definitely don't want a apology for That lol! All good!

bad dog
05-25-2017, 12:44 AM
The average tranny don't like blacks, definitely don't want a apology for That lol! All good!

That's crazy to speak for every tranny when it comes to that. Also the whole idea of a "average tranny" differs in everybody's head.

nysprod
05-25-2017, 02:59 AM
That's crazy to speak for every tranny when it comes to that. Also the whole idea of a "average tranny" differs in everybody's head.

True. Is that you in your avatar?