PDA

View Full Version : where? or where?

melody mayheim
04-11-2017, 01:19 AM
I wanna move...anyone know of any great locations?

Abartig
04-11-2017, 02:03 AM
Any specific things you would be looking for . . .?

I would say be sure to check out & consider Nashville and the surrounding area but I also hear good things about the Raleigh-Durham North Carolina area.

melody mayheim
04-11-2017, 04:39 AM
Ive been to north Carolina n it was nice but idk if it was for me, I don't want to live in a city, but neither the country. Somewhere not far from a city though. Somewhere where it's warm but not humid. Somewhere where the cost of living is reasonable. Somewhere where there's a trans scene or popular club..

gaysian71
04-11-2017, 04:58 AM
The San Francisco Bay Area is great if you want to live near a big city, but not in one. There are tons of suburbs around here. You can live 20 minutes out of San Francisco or 2 hrs away if you want a bigger place for less money. There are cities in between as well. But the general rule is, the further away from the city you get, the cheaper the rent and home prices.

SanDiegoPervySage
04-11-2017, 05:46 AM
So a suburb basically?

seth123
04-11-2017, 08:26 AM
You can plug those preferences in to a google search ....Also try to check out a few top 10/20/50/100 best places to live web pages example.....http://livability.com/best-places/top-100-best-places-to-live/2016
Places where there are large University communities are pretty good or push come to shove and you just have no place to go you can try SoCal.........

drongo
04-11-2017, 10:05 AM
Come to Australia honey, lots of sun, beaches, surf, bbq, we'll look after you..

melody mayheim
04-13-2017, 02:20 AM
I would probably love Australia to visit but thats way too far..im thinking arizona, illinois, florida, north carolina, maybe even jersey..

melody mayheim
04-13-2017, 02:26 AM
Anyone looking for a roommate?

DeezNuts515
04-13-2017, 04:50 AM

I'm right outside Orlando, have an extra room in a three bedroom house.

NedLeeds
04-13-2017, 05:37 AM
I'm in the suburbs of Atlanta and have always envied the area around Raleigh. Always seems clean, safe, easy to get around, etc. Not sure about the trans scene, but there are a number of girls based in NC that regularly tour throughout the Southeast, so I wouldn't think it's too bad. Nice thing about being in the South is the beaches and mountains are both within a few hours' drive while also being near a major city.

CoolAwesomeBXDude
04-13-2017, 02:09 PM

I'm looking for a roommate.

i think you should consider moving to florida or Jersey

drongo
04-13-2017, 02:28 PM
I have a spare room at my place here in Australia, you can have me all to yourself...

gmb
04-13-2017, 04:16 PM
What about the dogs?

hamdasl
04-13-2017, 05:47 PM
I've been living in Bali for the last 12 years.
The only thing I don't like about it is having to leave.

Enthusiast
04-13-2017, 07:22 PM
Well, of the places you've listed, Arizona is certainly the least humid; however, I'm not sure about the trans scene. Florida has a great nightlife but is incredibly humid; North Jersey is close to NYC but more suburban; the weather would be very similar to what you have in PA.

Fitzcarraldo
04-14-2017, 01:34 AM
I would probably love Australia to visit but thats way too far..im thinking arizona, illinois, florida, north carolina, maybe even jersey..

If you want somewhere "warm but not humid," scratch Florida off the list!

melody mayheim
04-14-2017, 03:50 AM
I dont mind the humidity, it's my makeup n hair that hate it lol! Australia is too far to live, but everyone I know that has moved to florida, love it! Yea I wana move so bad but I have 2 tiny dogs n I have tons of shit I worked hard for, it would be sad to start all over n get rid of everything..

NedLeeds
04-14-2017, 02:45 PM
It can be sad and even scary, but those same things you worry about losing can also be what's holding you back. It's a kind of trap and you have to recognize that these are things that aren't as essential as you think. You've assigned a certain significance to them, but you also have the power in your mind to un-assign that significance. Embrace it as an opportunity to liberate yourself.

Chaos
04-14-2017, 03:35 PM
Take me with you...let's get out of PA :D lol

CORVETTEDUDE
04-14-2017, 04:04 PM
I wanna move...anyone know of any great locations?

Melody, You need to check out Pensacola, FL. Not too big, not too small and the best beaches in the country. Plus it's close to NOLA, Atlanta, Miami, Key West. I would love to see your gorgeous self here!!

Fitzcarraldo
04-14-2017, 10:56 PM
Pensacola is not close to Miami or Key West. Hell, it isn't even close to Orlando.

runningdownthatdream
04-14-2017, 11:12 PM
It can be sad and even scary, but those same things you worry about losing can also be what's holding you back. It's a kind of trap and you have to recognize that these are things that aren't as essential as you think. You've assigned a certain significance to them, but you also have the power in your mind to un-assign that significance. Embrace it as an opportunity to liberate yourself.

Very wise words. The earlier in life one learns that, the greater the possibility of living one's dream. Sadly, it's not something you can teach or even inspire - a person has to come that realization all their own. I know someone who wanted to leave her shit-ass life in a shit-ass town and come live with me but couldn't bring herself to free her mind. 20 years later she tells me how much worse that shit-ass life has become and how much she wish she had left..........doesn't move me anymore. Your life is yours, do with it what you want.

melody mayheim
04-15-2017, 12:07 AM
I also love that ned!!!! :)

DeezNuts515
04-15-2017, 12:20 AM
Pensacola is not close to Miami or Key West. Hell, it isn't even close to Orlando.

Lol, this. I'm in Orlando, Pensacola is almost 500 miles away, and I'm four hours from Miami myself.

Melody, I messaged you on FB, btw.

Fitzcarraldo
04-15-2017, 05:02 AM
By the way, I grew up in NC. It's a great state. It was truly a "New South," progressive state when I was there, at least in Charlotte where I grew up, and Raleigh where I went to college.

But it has regressed mightily since I left. The egregious, infamous HB2 has been sort of repealed, but I can't imagine any transperson choosing to move there at the moment. It's sad.

If you can stand the humidity, Florida could be a good choice. All the weird shit you hear about it is true, but that's part of the charm. The vast majority of Floridians moved here from somewhere else (such as myself), so there's really no tradition or expectations here. There aren't really any rules, so you can be who you want to be and do what you want to do. Orlando as a community responded very well to the Pulse massacre. Times are changing.

Also, the cost of living is very cheap down here (and wages are low as well). There is no state income tax. Vehicle registration is cheap and there are no annual inspections.

melody mayheim
04-16-2017, 02:15 AM
Which is you on fb? I gave up on catching up to unread messages on fb..its a pain so I dont message back much..florida does sound good, wish I could bring all my stuff with me lol I need a good kick in the ass to make moves!

Chaos
04-16-2017, 02:34 AM
I was in Florida just this past summer (Orlando and Daytona) I LOVED it and didn't want to come home...
I too,have considered moving there. Sadly I'd need a roommate and know no one... That's the only thing keeping me from going..

SanDiegoPervySage
04-16-2017, 02:46 AM
Very wise words. The earlier in life one learns that, the greater the possibility of living one's dream. Sadly, it's not something you can teach or even inspire - a person has to come that realization all their own. I know someone who wanted to leave her shit-ass life in a shit-ass town and come live with me but couldn't bring herself to free her mind. 20 years later she tells me how much worse that shit-ass life has become and how much she wish she had left..........doesn't move me anymore. Your life is yours, do with it what you want.

Sucks for her. Some people you just can't help

runningdownthatdream
04-16-2017, 04:25 AM
I was in Florida just this past summer (Orlando and Daytona) I LOVED it and didn't want to come home...
I too,have considered moving there. Sadly I'd need a roommate and know no one... That's the only thing keeping me from going..

Let your passion motivate you - if you -L-O-V-E-D it then that should provide enough inspiration to F-I-N-D a way. The only thing keeping you from going is YOU.

runningdownthatdream
04-16-2017, 04:27 AM
Sucks for her. Some people you just can't help

....more wise words. The sooner you recognize those types of people - emotional vampires - the sooner you can keep them at arms length. If not, they tend to suck all hope out of you.

Paladin
04-16-2017, 05:48 AM
Which is you on fb? I gave up on catching up to unread messages on fb..its a pain so I dont message back much..florida does sound good, wish I could bring all my stuff with me lol I need a good kick in the ass to make moves!

How much stuff do you have - a 2 or 3 BRT apt full of things? Appliances can be sold and re-purchased where you end up. Furniture , same. Many apts are furnished with appliances here in FL. Yes it's humid, but only 9-10 months out of the year. ;)

Valuable or sentimental items can be moved and if they don't fit in your new place, they and stored in many storage companies here.

DeezNuts515
04-16-2017, 06:27 AM

Sorry dear, you do have tons of dudes hitting you up on there, I should have realized. It's Matt, I've got the picture with a Boba Fett helmet on 😂

hairyguy
04-16-2017, 12:35 PM
if you are coming from a climate with low dew points (i am used to around 24 to 40 degrees) and the move to FL (60 and up!), you will be in hell. i am from nyc and was in miami for a few days. i was dying. had to take 4-5 showers a day to get that sticky feeling off me. it was terrible. maybe you can adapt but humidity as you have said also ruins your makeup as it cakes it as well as your hair. i would try city-data forums for this kind of info. those guys know their cities and states inside out.

melody mayheim
04-16-2017, 03:28 PM
I just have a one bedroom full of shit, there's a lot of things I dont mind getting rid of but also a lot of things I wouldn't toss out or give away..chaos, let's go! Maybe I should vacay there n see how it is?!? Anyone love or been to arizona?

melody mayheim
04-16-2017, 03:28 PM
Matt I'll go check you out!

Chaos
04-16-2017, 04:24 PM
I just have a one bedroom full of shit, there's a lot of things I dont mind getting rid of but also a lot of things I wouldn't toss out or give away..chaos, let's go! Maybe I should vacay there n see how it is?!? Anyone love or been to arizona?
Oddly enough I am really good at packing to move (I should be,I've moved so damn many times)...Never been to Arizona but everyone I know says if I like Florida I should be ok there too... I want to go there for the thunderstorms honestly...and maybe scorpions....Also don't tempt me Melody....I have no ties here,nothing to keep me in PA.... :D

Chaos
04-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Let your passion motivate you - if you -L-O-V-E-D it then that should provide enough inspiration to F-I-N-D a way. The only thing keeping you from going is YOU.
Actually disability being such a small amount of income has been the only thing keeping me from doing a LOT of things.
You're right though...I usually DO find a way to do things I really want...I'm worried that I might become more isolated than I am now if I move somewhere I don't know anyone....It's a serious matter to me,I don't want my illness to get worse due to isolation,not when I'm finally getting better.

CORVETTEDUDE
04-17-2017, 12:29 AM

A lot closer than where she is, smartass.

bottomboi90
04-17-2017, 04:37 AM
Come to northern NJ, i live in the suburbs but you have easy access to NYC, it can be expensive but its worth it

gmb
04-17-2017, 05:44 AM
Maybe another country?

melody mayheim
04-17-2017, 05:13 PM
I considered jersey many times actually but another country, noooo lol maybe vacay but not move!

Laphroaig
04-17-2017, 05:18 PM
I considered jersey many times actually but another country, noooo lol maybe vacay but not move!

Bugger!! and I was going to suggest you move in with me in, the weather is always lovely in the UK...:whistle:

melody mayheim
04-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Muah <3

Chaos
04-17-2017, 09:10 PM
Pick somewhere, I'll rent a U-Haul,swing by,and let's Gooooooo..... :D
Somewhere warm though...I hate cold...lol.

melody mayheim
04-17-2017, 11:06 PM
R u on my fb?

Chaos
04-18-2017, 01:02 AM
I certainly am. :D
Chuck Adams. Pittsburgh. That's me.

bottomboi90
04-18-2017, 01:33 AM

You should totally consider it again lol im sure you'd love it here

melody mayheim
04-18-2017, 01:52 AM
Jersey is not far from PA kinda pointless..but I'll figure out what I wanna do eventually!

NedLeeds
04-18-2017, 02:30 PM
I have actually heard very good things about AZ from people who've lived there. Similar to what I said about the South, I've heard that you have good access to a variety of different climates/landscapes within a few hours. Also, the Phoenix area has a good number of working girls traveling through and living there, so I'm guessing it must be somewhat trans-friendly. Been meaning to take a trip out there for years.

I agree with what someone mentioned earlier: if its feasible, pick a spot or three that you think might work and take a quick, budget-friendly vacation there to scout it out. Things like the difference in climate and terrain may sound good on paper, but you should drop yourself in the middle of it to see how your brain and body handle it. I've been casually considering a move to Dallas, but I have a relative who lived there for years -- I joked about the "dry heat" being tolerable; he shook his head and said "110 degrees is 110 degrees". I also remember how he used to come to Atlanta and be so refreshed to see trees everywhere. Its rugged, flat terrain out there. Also, scorpions, tarantulas. I've been assured that at least you can hear the tarantulas when they're near.... No thanks.

melody mayheim
04-23-2017, 03:20 AM
Yea I wouldnt be a big fan of that!

CalifrescoYo
04-23-2017, 05:55 AM
NYC but the outside suburbs are better. Outside NYC you can get a nice place, semi-pricy, with easy access to everywhere by train or car. Plus, everything you will ever want can be found in NY. Great skiing in the winter, nice beaches and lakes for the summer. Not to mention the Jersey shore, Hamptons and Montauk for the summer.