PDA

View Full Version : Annoying speech habits

sukumvit boy
11-21-2016, 10:30 PM
Is it just me being a hidebound old fart or do some of you also find certain new speech habits annoying ?
Just when I thought I was getting used to upspeak and celebrating the death of "bro" , "ya know what I mean?" and "keeping it real".
Now along comes "it is what it is" and , the particularly annoying "go ahead and..." :pissed:

http://speakermagazine.com/top-10-most-annoying-speaker-habits/

lifeisfiction
11-21-2016, 11:22 PM
I assume you find colloquialisms ill-suited for everyday use. The English language is one of the few languages that can be at times superfluous in it's creative manner. Presenting multiple ways of saying the same thing ad nauseam. Still, each of these forms of speech do not lose their meaning and in reality emphasizes cultural beliefs in it's words and phrases valued by it's target audience. While some of it may be jarring. I would say proper speech is a lot more jarring then every day slang.

runningdownthatdream
11-22-2016, 02:03 AM
You're just getting old man! Colloquialisms are for the young and and the not yet jaded. I'm at the stage where speech is an inadequate and tiresome method of communication.

What's particularly annoying are the recycled terms which are used as if they're brand spanking new or the hoary guy at the bar wearing skinny jeans and the earring from 1982 who still thinks he's in the loop because he's tossing out catchphrases he heard form his grandkids. I may have been guilty of the first offence once. I think they're just attempts to communicate in a way that seems relevant to the times and something we must all grow through though by no means should we continue to practice in our later years.

SanDiegoPervySage
11-22-2016, 03:27 AM
Times are changing. You're getting old. I hate a lot of new slang. I'm getting old.

BatMasterson
11-22-2016, 06:24 AM
What I fucking hate are these people starting every sentence or statement with 'So'.

'So' has a particular proper application and usage. For example, "Why did you clean the rain gutters out today?" Answer: "So that the water would flow freely."

Or, "You threw away the french fries!" Reply: "So."

But when someone asks "Tell us about the new fire hydrants..." Popular but wrong reply: "So the city had some extra money and we used it for new hydrants."

I noticed 90% of the people doing this are Millenials or post-Millenials. Did some debate teacher tell them they can use 'So' so that they don't say 'Uh....' ??
Pisses me off because the people doing it are speaking in public venues and are trying to pass themselves off as having intellect.

That's my current peeve.

Stavros
11-22-2016, 06:43 AM
Is it just me being a hidebound old fart or do some of you also find certain new speech habits annoying ?
Just when I thought I was getting used to upspeak and celebrating the death of "bro" , "ya know what I mean?" and "keeping it real".
Now along comes "it is what it is" and , the particularly annoying "go ahead and..." :pissed:

Dude, you need to get with the program....

rodinuk
11-22-2016, 08:50 AM
I notice the predominance of the phrase 'you know' in interviews/press conferences involving the sporting community but I suspect it's a sub-conscious adoption, a verbal equivalent of the musical 'earworm' perhaps?

Gillian
11-22-2016, 10:34 AM
Americans' fondness for pronouncing some words with "flaaaht" vowel sounds.

I was watching highlights of the latest round of the Americas Cup racing series and the US commentator kept referring to the "regaaahtta". Surely it's "gatt" as in cat?

Seems to me something that's only become more noticeable in the last decade or so. I've no idea why ...

Jericho
11-22-2016, 01:16 PM
Erm, yeah, like, init, y'know! :shrug

Ts RedVeX
11-22-2016, 01:48 PM
Any sort of communication seems to be inadequate nowadays...

Ben in LA
11-22-2016, 02:07 PM
As long as we understand each other, I could care less. Feel me? Just keeping it 100.

Ts RedVeX
11-22-2016, 02:54 PM
nope

gmb
11-22-2016, 06:51 PM
I know I grew up using the word 'like' way too much...

sucka4chix
11-23-2016, 04:20 AM
I HATE the way people, even journalist are breaking diphthongs into 2 syllables! "YOU isn't pronounced "Yo-oo"

"School" is one syllable! It is not "schewel"!

I hate when people say "Went missing" and "At my work"!

If I hear "Yaz!" one more fucking time...

Ben in LA
11-23-2016, 12:39 PM
Yas bitch...yaaaaaaas!!

sucka4chix
11-23-2016, 02:34 PM
Why you I oughtta.....

SanDiegoPervySage
11-23-2016, 05:59 PM
Yas bitch...yaaaaaaas!!

Oh I hate that shit!

hamdasl
11-25-2016, 02:55 PM
Having lived overseas for the last 20+ years, I enjoy introducing my friends to American colloquialisms.
An Aussie mate was completely surprised when I asked him to "Flip a Bitch" when we were driving. In return, I found out what "Chuffing up to your bollocks" means.

filghy2
11-26-2016, 07:47 AM
I'm Australian and I have never heard anyone say "chuffing up to your bollocks".

My pet hates, which are unfortunately prevalent among younger people so they are unlikely to go away:

- Inserting "like" into every other sentence

- Rising inflections at the end of sentences, so every statement sounds like a question

- Overuse of superlatives like "awesome" and "unbelievable" to describe things that are actually commonplace

I know languages evolve, and changes can be good if they make things simpler or clearer. For instance, I don't see any point in fussing about things like split infinitives. However, many modern speech habits seem to go in the opposite direction, making the language less precise.

fred41
11-26-2016, 05:09 PM
overuse of words such as 'oligarchy', especially by folks on social media who think that they've just become politically enlightened.

Budweiser
11-27-2016, 07:24 AM
I think people should speak in complete, grammatically correct sentences at all times.

When Steve Harvey says at the beginning of every episode of Family Feud that the two families want to "win theyself" a lot of money I always want to wring his neck. He knows he's grammatically incorrect, and he is doing it on purpose.

sukumvit boy
11-27-2016, 07:51 AM
Why you I oughtta.....
:dancing: Yeah , that was an old chestnut from every 1930's and '40's movie fight scene I can remember. Damn , I even remember it from shows in the '50's like Jackie Gleason.

bryanferryfan2
11-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Does lisping, mushmouth and spit-talking count ?

Vladimir Putin
11-28-2016, 01:33 AM
When I'm like, y'know, and they say, y'know.

When people say "I'm like,", "she's like," "he's like," "they're like" and comments like "he goes,", "she goes" etc and "y'know."